QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, February 05, 2012

QPR Report Sunday: Chairman Tony Fernandes Says Will Stick With QPR Even IF Relegated...QPR-Wolves Reports & Comments Compilation


-Perhaps the most positive item of the day: Chairman Tony Fernandes tweeted today would stay with QPR even If relegated:
- "If it happens I will be here and I'm sure all the other will. Its a project. RT @QPRReport: @tonyfernandes @Amit_Bhatia99 @Ruben_E_G What Fans Would REALLY Like to Hear: That IF #QPR Do Go Down - You'll Still be With Us Next Season - Tony Fernandes February 5 Tweet
- For comprehensive and latest QPR news-related pieces and discussion, visit the football-only, somewhat-different QPR Report Messageboard. All QPR Perspectives genuinely welcomed! Or comment on any of the articles posted below - QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!

- RIP: Nottingham Forest's Chairman Nigel Doughty (and Father of QPR Youth Player, Michael)

- Ex-QPR Matteo Alberti Gets a New Club

- Martin Rowlands Additional QPR Comment

- VIDEO - Flashback Thirty Years: Extensive video of Newcastle vs QPR: (QPR's first game of their Championship Winning Season)

- Remaining Fixtures: Bottom Six Clubs

- Articles and Analysis on John Terry's Axing as England Captain



Posted on: Sat 04 Feb 2012

Mark Hughes was adamant Djibril Cisse's sending off 'completely changed the context of the game,' as ten-man Rangers succumbed to a narrow 2-1 defeat at home to Wolves.

The R's led through Bobby Zamora's early goal, only for Cisse to raise his hands at Roger Johnson following a poor tackle from the Wanderers skipper, resulting in a red card for the Frenchman.

Wanderers struck back courtesy of Matt Jarvis seconds into the second half, before Kevin Doyle struck a late winner.

"It (the sending off) completely changed the context of the game," Hughes told www.qpr.co.uk

"We were in complete control and then the red card knocked us out of our stride.

"It was a game I felt really comfortable in. We were so dominant."

Hughes added: "Djibril has apologised to the players. He acknowledged what he did was wrong.

"The way the game is refereed in this country, you can't raise your hands, and Djibril has learnt that the hard way today.

"In his defence, it was a poor challenge from Johnson from behind.

"Having suffered a few horrific injuries before in his time in this country, you can kind of understand why he reacted initially, but his second reaction got him sent off unfortunately."

Despite the defeat, Hughes was encouraged by the way his side stuck to the task in the second half, commenting: "I'm very encouraged by the way we played.

"I'm learning so much about this group of players and the more I see, the more I am encouraged.

"The attitude and the work-rate was very pleasing.

"We could've dealt with their two goals a lot better, but we stuck at it and probably deserved to get something out of the game."

Hughes revealed Luke Young (hamstring) could miss the trip to Blackburn Rovers next weekend, but the Rangers boss hopes to have Heidar Helguson and Jay Bothroyd available for selection at Ewood Park.

Mark Hughes, QPR boss
QPR boss refuses to blame official after defeat to Wolves

Mark Hughes admitted that referee Mark Clattenburg had no choice but to send off Djibril Cisse during QPR’s 2-1 defeat to Wolves on Saturday.

With Rangers leading 1-0, Cisse was sent off for reacting to a tackle from Roger Johnson by raising his hands to the Wolves defender, and was shown a straight red card.

It proved the turning point as Wolves took advantage of their superior numbers to score twice in the second half, but Hughes insisted Cisse had only himself to blame.

“Obviously we were disappointed with the initial challenge, given Djibril’s playing history and the injuries that he has had,” said Hughes.

“He reacted to that, and if he had kept it to the initial reaction when he jumped up and confronted the guy he would have been okay, but unfortunately he went back and raised his hands towards the guy’s neck area, and we all know you can’t do that. The referee had to send him off.”

Hughes was also disappointed by the manner of his side’s defending for both Wolves goals, although he admits he saw enough positives going forward to be encouraged for the future.

“I was really pleased with what we were producing. I thought the interplay between Djibril, Bobby (Zamora) and Adel (Taarabt) was good, and augured well for the future,” he added.

“If we had 11 against 11 I think we would have won the game quite comfortably. But we conceded two poor goals. We’d done really well defensively, but then we let ourselves down a little bit for the first goal, and maybee we needed to be a little bit stronger in terms of our challenges for the second one. With one less guy on the pitch it was always going to be a hard task for us.”

QPR boss takes heart from Taarabt’s display

QPR manager Mark Hughes took encouragement from Adel Taarabt’s performance in the defeat against Wolves.

Taarabt, back from the Africa Cup of Nations, was excellent in the second half as Rangers played with 10 men following the sending off of Djibril Cisse.

It suggested to Hughes that he has enough attacking ability at his disposal to steer the club away from trouble.

Hughes said: “I thought he [Taarabt] was excellent. I admired him from afar but had not seen much of him close up, and thought he was outstanding today.

“With his ability and the strengths of the other strikers we do have the ability to score goals in the Premier League. It just wasn’t to be today.

“It wasn’t just his ability but also his attitude and application, which has maybe been questioned in the past but couldn’t be today.

“Although we were beaten I was encouraged by what I saw. I was really pleased with what we were producing. The interplay between the three up front augers well.

“Adel coming back has really helped us. Moving forward we’ve now got real options up front.”

Hughes admitted that referee Mark Clattenburg had little choice but to send Cisse off after the Frenchman’s reaction to a rash challenge from Roger Johnson.

Cisse, who suffered a horrific broken leg earlier in his career, first pushed the Wolves defender and then grabbed his throat.

Having initially protested at the decision, Hughes conceded that his player had to go.

“It was probably because of his injury record that he reacted, and if he had kept it at the initial reaction he would have probably been okay,” said Hughes.

“But he went back and raised his hand to the neck area and as we know you can’t do that, so the referee had to send him off.

“I’m pretty confident in saying that if it had stayed 11v11 we would have won the game fairly comfortably, although we conceded two poor goals if I’m honest.

“At 2-1 down and with one less guy on the pitch it was always going to be difficult. But we took the game to them, had some great efforts, and on another day we would have scored.”

Dave McIntyre/West London Sport

Hughes frets over injury to defender

QPR are assessing a hamstring injury suffered by defender Luke Young during their home defeat against Wolves.

Young hobbled off early in the second half of the game at Loftus Road and could be set for a spell on the sidelines.

New signing Bobby Zamora, who scored Rangers’ goal in the 2-1 loss, was also taken off but his condition is not causing concern.

“Bobby was cramping up. He should be okay,” revealed manager Mark Hughes.

“He didn’t want to damage himself any further and was correct to say ‘I want to come off’.

“Luke Young – that’s slightly different. Hopefully it’s not too serious but it does look like he’ll now be missing.”


DAVE MCINTYRE/West London Sport

Woe for new-look QPR as Cisse sees red

Bobby Zamora scored on his QPR debut only for Djibril Cisse’s sending-off to alter the course of the game.

Zamora fired home following Shaun Wright-Phillips’ flick on, but Rangers were reduced to 10 men when Cisse lashed out at Roger Johnson after a rash challenge from the defender.

Matt Jarvis levelled less than a minute into the second half, cutting in and bending a shot beyond keeper Paddy Kenny.

And substitute Kevin Doyle netted a 71st-minute winner for Wolves after Jamie O’Hara’s cross was diverted into the striker’s path by Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.

A home defeat against another struggling side is a body blow for Rangers, who are hoping their latest glut of big-money signings can haul them away from trouble.

Zamora, a deadline-day arrival from neighbours Fulham, made a dream start to his R’s career but was substituted in the second half after complaining of cramp.

And the sending-off was a disaster for Cisse, who scored against Aston Villa in midweek and was razor-sharp in the opening third of this game.

Cisse was making his home debut, as were Taye Taiwo and Nedum Onuoha, with the latter showing his versatility by switching from central defence to right-back after Luke Young hobbled off early in the second half.

Rangers’ new-look strikeforce looked full of promise right from the start and delivered the opening goal after 16 minutes.

Wright-Phillips nudged Cisse’s ball into the box off to Zamora, who blasted in from 15 yards. Goalkeeper Wayne Hennessy got a strong hand to the shot but was unable to keep it out of the net.

But Cisse’s afternoon ended abruptly when he was dismissed for his reaction to Johnson’s lunge.

He first pushed the centre-back and then grabbed his throat, which was enough for referee Mark Clattenburg to produce the red card.

Rangers were in control but Cisse’s exit was a massive boost for Wolves – as was the half-time introduction of Doyle.

He made an instant impact, delivering a cross from the right for Jarvis, who finished beautifully.

Stephen Fletcher then twice came close to putting Wolves ahead, first heading against the bar and then seeing his poked effort cleared off the line by Anton Ferdinand during a goalmouth scramble.

But there was no let-off for Rangers when O’Hara and Ebanks-Blake combined to set up Doyle, who shot through the legs of Taiwo and into the bottom corner.

There were at least a couple of positives for Rangers even in defeat; their dominance before the loss of Cisse, and the encouraging performance of Adel Taarabt.

Back from the Africa Cup of Nations, Taarabt started on the left and stepped up to the plate while Rangers’ attacking options were limited in the second half.

He had a well-struck free-kick pushed away by Hennessy, who also did well to tip over a blistering 25-yarder from the Moroccan.

And Taarabt was unlucky again two minutes from time when he wriggled away from his man and dinked a shot inches over the bar.




- Very disappointing. But players showed character. And adel showed some great form. We really through it away. I still feel with this squad we will get points from teams we wouldn't have thought we can.

- Hey guys pick yourselves up. I think we got a good squad and the game showed character. I'm bullish and optimistic. I'm not disappointed like norwich. I see light at the end of the tunnel.

And Amit Bhatia

Amit_Bhatia99 Amit Bhatia
I admired @djibrilcisse1 for manning up this evening. Is unfortunate what happened and appreciate him addressing it. Was an awful challenge.
4 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Amit_Bhatia99 Amit Bhatia
Will learn about each other and our team will get stronger and better. I remain confident that we are good enough to stay up. Good night all
4 hours ago

Amit_Bhatia99 Amit Bhatia
There are many positives to take. Both our strikers have scored on debut and will only get stronger. Adel looked in sparkling form. Players
4 hours ago

Amit_Bhatia99 Amit Bhatia
To play for. Am sure Mark will work hard with our team to help them improve and remain together and united. Whilst its still sore 2nite
4 hours ago

Amit_Bhatia99 Amit Bhatia
Reflecting on today's match and am gutted. Tough results back to back for fans, players and owners. But we're still 16th and have everything

philipb1 Philip Beard
Must take positives from tough result. Great team spirit. Need to keep focussed on primary objective, staying up. Big games ahead. #QPR
2 minutes ago

djibrilcisse1 djibril cisse
I promise you all fans and to my team to make it up to you all
41 minutes ago
Retweeted by QPR_FC

djibrilcisse1 djibril cisse
But my reaction was stupid and I feel really bad cause I let my team down and we lost 3 vitals points
42 minutes ago
Retweeted by QPR_FC

djibrilcisse1 djibril cisse
I have to say that the tackle was very dangerous and he could of break my leg and after 2 legs break I felt scared and I reacted like this
46 minutes ago
Retweeted by QPR_FC

djibrilcisse1 djibril cisse
Hi I would like to appologise for my stupid reaction who cost us the game I shouldn't react like this

WOLVES OFFICIAL SITE - Boss Delighted With Huge Win

Posted on: Sat 04 Feb 2012

Boss Mick McCarthy marked his 100th Barclays Premier League game as Wolves manager with a crucial win at Queens Park Rangers this afternoon.

Bobby Zamora opened the scoring for Rangers on his debut before Djibril Cisse was sent off for retaliation after a Roger Johnson challenge.

Half time substitute Kevin Doyle was then involved in Matt Jarvis' equaliser before grabbing the winner himself on 71 minutes.

"That was a really important win for everyone at the club," said Mick.

"It's vital for us to stay in the Premier League and it's a lot better feeling than getting beaten that's for sure.

"I got the response I expected from the players because they generally do and they are a great bunch.

"We maybe got a bit of luck with the sending off but sometimes things like that can change seasons.

"I'm not getting carried away because there is a long way to go but it's a huge win."

More reaction from Mick to follow later.




Kevin Doyle gives Wolves victory after QPR's Djibril Cissé sees red

QPR's Djibril Cissé grabs Wolves defender Roger Johnson, an act which led to the striker being sent off. Photograph: Phil Cole/PA
An afternoon that began so brightly for QPR and their new strikeforce ended in a controversial defeat as a red card for Djibril Cissé helped Wolves overcome a Bobby Zamora goal to plunder their first Premier League win for two months. Matthew Jarvis and Kevin Doyle completed a turnaround that only increases the intrigue in this season's relegation battle.

Zamora's debut goal following his £6m move from Fulham rewarded an enterprising start by QPR in which they looked far superior to the glum visitors. The Cissé-Zamora partnership on which the QPR manager, Mark Hughes, has pinned much of his survival hopes sparkled almost immediately, although it was another new recruit, left-back Taye Taiwo, who teed up Cissé's first chance, the striker latching on to his long ball before firing at Wayne Hennessey from 16 yards. Hennessey has made more saves than any other goalkeeper in the Premier League this season and he had to perform another one to push away a curling effort from Zamora.

With the Wolves striker, Steven Fletcher, in grim isolation, the visitors offered no attacking threat and it was no surprise when QPR took the lead. Cissé fizzed a pass in to Shaun Wright-Phillips, whose touch with his instep may have been an attempt to control the ball but turned out to be the perfect lay-off to Zamora, who poked into the net from 12 yards.

Not until after the 24th-minute injury to Emmanuel Frimpong – sustained while fouling Joey Barton – did Wolves begin to look a force of any significance. The introduction of Sylvain Ebanks-Blake for Frimpong prompted a shift to 4-4-2 and a bout of territorial pressure from the visitors, who, nevertheless, could not manage a shot on target in the first half.

That was despite having a numerical advantage after Cissé was sent off for grabbing Roger Johnson by the throat after the defender caught him with a late tackle. Not an especially helpful reaction to be sure, but perhaps an understandable one given that Cissé's career has twice been interrupted by gruesome leg-breaks. The referee, Mark Clattenberg, did not consider that relevant and, to Cissé's incredulity, dismissed the striker.

The Wolves manager, Mick McCarthy, clearly knew that if his team could not claim any points from this game their survival prospects – and perhaps his own job security – would be bleak, and he went for broke at half-time by replacing Richard Stearman with Kevin Doyle. That attacking change paid an immediate dividend as Doyle set up the equaliser in the first minute of the second half, Jarvis curling the ball smartly into the far corner after receiving the Irishman's cross.

Wolves, now playing 3-4-3, were a side transformed and four minutes they nearly took the lead as Fletcher headed Kevin Foley's cross against the bar. Two minutes later the Scot was denied again, this time Anton Ferdinand clearing his shot off the line.

QPR steadied themselves after that and appeared to have weathered the Wolves storm. In the 71st minute, however, they were punished for sluggishness, as Jamie O'Hara ran past Barton and sent in a pass that found its way to Doyle via Ebanks-Blake. The striker turned away from Nedum Onuoha and fired a low shot past Paddy Kenny from 10 yards.

QPR rallied after that but were denied by a stupendous save from Hennessey, who threw himself across his goal in the 81st minute to tip away a splendid 25-yard shot by Adel Taarabt. Guardian

QPR Official Site

Wolves came from behind to end a nine-match winless run in the Barclays Premier League, thanks to a 2-1 victory over ten-man QPR at Loftus Road.

In a match between two sides striving for survival, this fiercely-fought encounter ultimately hinged on Djibril Cisse's dismissal on 34 minutes, after a coming together with Roger Johnson.

Rangers took the lead on 16 minutes through debutant Bobby Zamora, who fired home in the box to cap a superb team move

But Cisse's red card put Wolves in the ascendency and, after Matt Jarvis levelled just a minute after the break, substitute Kevin Doyle won it for Wolves nineteen minutes from time.

Mark Hughes made two changes to his starting XI for the visit of the Molineux men, following Wednesday night's 2-2 draw at Aston Villa.

Zamora was handed his R's debut, brought in to replace Rob Hulse, while Adel Taarabt - on his return from international duty for Morocco at the African Cup of Nations - came in Jamie Mackie.

Kenny was in goal for Rangers, behind a back four of Luke Young, Nedum Onuoha, Anton Ferdinand and Taye Taiwo.

In midfield, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Taarabt began from the wings, with Captain Joey Barton and Shaun Derry in the middle.

Zamora was joined by Cisse - scorer of Rangers' first at Villa Park - in attack.

The R's made the brighter start, testing Wolves keeper Wayne Hennessy after just four minutes.

Taiwo's long pass over the top of the Old Gold defence was controlled beautifully by Cisse, before the French striker shot straight at Hennessy.

Less than a minute later, Rangers went close again. Derry found Zamora on 25 yards, before the former Fulham man's subsequent effort forced a smart save from Hennessy, who tipped the ball away from goal.

Taarabt and Cisse already appeared to be striking an understanding and it was the former who was next to go close on seven minutes, executing a lovely give-and-go with Zamora before shooting wide of the right-hand post.

Wolves did settle as the half progressed but rarely troubled Kenny in the Rangers goal, with Steven Fletcher's wayward effort the visitors' only real effort of note with a quarter of an hour gone.

The R's deservedly led after 16 minutes - and what a well-worked goal it proved to be.

Taarabt, Cisse, Wright-Phillips and Zamora were all involved in a wonderful move, before the latter smashed home an effort - despite a touch from Hennessy - that flew into the top-right-hand corner.

Wolves, to their credit, played better after conceding the opening goal.

Fletcher soon went close with a fine effort from a free-kick, seeing his left-footed shot from 25 yards whistling just past the right-hand post.

Controversy sparked nine minutes before the break, after Johnson's strong challenge on Cisse eventually saw a coming together between the two.

Johnson was duly booked but, much to the surprise of the majority of the Loftus Road crowd, Cisse was shown a straight red card by referee Mr Clattenburg.

With that, the R's would have to play out nearly an hour a man light.

It was that numerical advantage that told just a minute after the break, as Wolves levelled.

Kevin Foley's ball eventually found Jarvis on the left-hand side of the box, before the tricky winger cut in to curl home a delightful effort into the bottom right-hand of the net.

Wolves were rampant after equalising and soon went close to taking the lead, after Fletcher's header - again from a Foley centre - crashed back off the bar.

Soon after, the visitors continued to press. Jarvis was again involved, finding Fletcher, whose prod towards goal was cleared off the line by Ferdinand to prevent what would have been a simple tap-in for Ebanks-Blake.

Mick McCarthy's charges were now in control, with Doyle soon seeing a rasping drive beaten away by the fists of Kenny.

The Rangers defence were given a momentary break when the home side won a free-kick 25 yards from goal, with Taarabt firing the resultant set-piece inches wide of the right-hand post.

But Wolves were soon on the attack once again. Doyle went close on 61 minutes, seeing his glancing header from Foley's cross bounce just wide of the target.

Rangers made a double switch on 65 minutes, with one change enforced on Hughes.

Fitz Hall was brought on to replace the injured Young, while Armand Traore came on for Derry.

That double substitution couldn't prevent a Wolves second, however, as the visitors seized the initiative on 71 minutes.

Jamie O'Hara's ball into the box was flicked on by Ebanks-Blake for Doyle, who held off his marker with his back to goal before turning to fire an effort into the bottom right-hand corner from 12 yards.

The R's huffed and puffed for an equaliser in the closing stages. Taarabt twice went close with outrageous efforts, while Ferdinand fired just wide in second-half stoppage time.

But they couldn't muster a second, as Wolves moved level on points with Hughes' men with victory.

QPR: Kenny, Derry (Traore 65), Taarabt, Barton, Young (Hall 65), Cisse, Wright-Phillips, Taiwo, Ferdinand, Onuoha, Zamora (Hulse 74).

Subs: Cerny, Hill, Mackie, Smith.

Goals: Zamora (16)

Red Cards: Cisse (34)

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Hennessey, Edwards, Stearman (Doyle 46), Fletcher, Ward, Johnson, Frimpong (Ebanks-Blake 25), Jarvis, Bassong, O'Hara (Milijas 87), Foley.

Subs: De Vries, Elokobi, Hunt, Berra.

Goals: Jarvis (46), Doyle (71)

Bookings: Johnson (34), Fletcher (38), Bassong (45)

Referee: Mr M Clattenburg

Attendance: 17,351 (1649 away)


Norwich 24 32 -5 34 2-0 FT v Bolton
Swansea 24 30 -3 26 2-1 FT v West Brom
Everton 24 30 -3 24 1-1 FT v Wigan
Stoke 24 30 -13 23 0-1 FT v Sunderland
Aston Villa 23 28 -3 28
Fulham 24 27 -5 29 0-2 v Man City
West Brom 24 26 -10 24 1-2 FT v Swansea
QPR 24 21 -16 25 1-2 FT v Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton 24 21 -17 27 2-1 FT v QPR
Bolton 24 20 -21 28 0-2 FT v Norwich
Blackburn 24 18 -20 34 1-7 FT v Arsenal
Wigan 24 16 -28 21 1-1 FT v Everton

- Six Years Ago Yesterday: Ian Holloway's Final Game as QPR Manager (Leeds Loss): Teams & Match Reports

- David Lacey/The Guardian "Without will of the fans some football clubs would just fade away

- QPR and the Other 19 Premiership Clubs Sign Sports Charter Against Homophobia

Blog Archive