QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, January 09, 2006

Ainsworth Devestated About Not Starting & Disappointed about Losing

-
Rovers return ends on sour note for Gareth

Lancashire Evening Telegraph
BLACKBURN fan Gareth Ainsworth took a nostalgic trip down Memory Lane on Saturday but his big day ultimately ended in disappointment as QPR crashed out of the FA Cup.
The Rangers wideman had waited 14 years for the chance to face the club that released him as a teenager but, despite impressing as a second half substitute, he could not prevent the Londoners from slipping to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of his childhood heroes.
"Blackburn won and Burnley lost today, which is usually a good thing for all Blackburn fans, but on this one day I'm just a little bit disappointed," admitted Ainsworth, who spent two years at Rovers as an apprentice.
"It's unfortunate but they were two quality finishes from Craig Bellamy and a good header from Toddy, so we lost 3-0 and probably deserved to do so."
Saturday's third round tie was the first time Ainsworth had been back to Ewood as a player since former Rovers manager Don Mackay took the decision to release him on his 18th birthday in May 1991.
The 32-year-old, who is QPR's top scorer this season with five goals, had hoped to start the game but, bizarrely, Rangers manager Ian Holloway left him on the bench and it was only when Ainsworth entered the fray as a 55th minute substitute, with his side already 2-0 down, that the Londoners began to pose Rovers problems.
"When I found out I was left out of the starting eleven I was absolutely devastated by that, and then when they scored two goals I was even more devastated," said Ainsworth.
"I think the plan was to maybe get me on in the second half at 0-0 and cause some havoc, but, unfortunately, that never happened and we were left desperately trying to get back into the game, which was always going to be difficult against a Premier League team.

"I thought Blackburn were different class and Craig Bellamy, in particular, scored two great goals.
"He's a friend of mine actually, I used to play in the Championship with him, and I'm really proud to see him at Blackburn because he's a quality player."
With Rangers' FA Cup dreams over for another season, Ainsworth admits he will now be following Blackburn's Cup progress with even greater interest and he believes Mark Hughes' side could have what it takes to go one better than last season's semi-final appearance.
He added: "I really hope they can. I'd forgive them for beating us if they go on and win it.
"It's a tough pill to swallow getting knocked out, especially as I had all my family here.
"But I got a great reception off all the fans and I want to thank everyone connected with Blackburn for that.
"I just hope I'll be back again at some point. I've got three or four years left in the game and if we can get in the Premier League or we draw them in one of the cups then, hopefully, I'll be back with even more venom than I had today."
http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/lancashire/rovers/sport/ROVERS3.html

Blog Archive