QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Update: Damion "Stew Peas" Stewart Sent Home From Gold Cup...Ex-QPRs Playing...Possible QPR Player Interest

-
- For truly cutting-edge, continually-updated news about QPR and football - and only QPR and football - Visit the messageboard (and quasi-blog) QPR Report Messageboard. All perspectives genuinely welcomed!

- QPR Reportedly Bidding for Crystal Palace young Defender

- Richard Langley Debuted for Blackpool; Evatt also played; Nardiello Scored

- Ex-QPR Richard Graham played for Barnet, but not staying

- Ecclestone's Formula One Future Questioned

- Sousa Trying Hard to sign Lopez


Jamaica Gleaner - Stewart sent home
- CENTRAL defender Damion 'Stew Peas' Stewart has been cut from Jamaica's senior men's football team which is currently participating in the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament in the United States.
- He left the Intercontinental West Hotel in Miami close to 5 p.m. yesterday and was taken to the Miami International Airport to board a flight to Kingston.
- The decision has serious implications for the Jamaica team should it advance to the quarter-finals, as Tyrone Marshall and Oneil Thompson, who started in Jamaica's last game against El Salvador, will be disqualified if there is a next game because of yellow cards.
- 1:30 flight
- Stewart said he was advised of the decision close to 11:30 a.m. yesterday morning by the head of the Jamaican football delegation in Miami, Bruce Gaynor, also a JFF vice-president, when he went to collect his per diem.
- "At about 11:21 (a.m.) today when I went to collect per diem from the head of delegation (Bruce Gaynor), he was with the vice-president Mr Anderson (Raymond) and the coach (Theodore Whitmore) and they said the coach had come to a decision that he was going to send me home and that was about 11:21 a.m. and I was told that I was going to be on the 1:30 flight," Stewart pointed out.
- He added: "I asked to have a meeting with the coach and they stepped out."
- In a release yesterday the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) said the player's behaviour was "disruptive and inconsistent with the general objectives of the team".
- Quoting coach Theodore Whitmore, the release added: "Damion never gave us the impression that he was focused and wanted to be a part of the team and how it operates. He questioned and challenged everything, even team tactics. Even his teammates were not pleased with his behaviour and general attitude.
- "I have tried to keep him in line but he has not shown a willingness to change. We cannot have a situation where the team is damaged because of the selfishness and indiscipline of one man." Jamaica Gleaner


POSTED EARLIER
Jamaica Observer - Damion Stewart Sent Home by Jamaica
Jamaica Observer- Stewart booted from Gold Cup squad
-IAN BURNETT @ THE CONCACAF GOLD CUP in the USA
- Miami, USA - Jamaica's national senior team defender Damion Stewart was booted from the CONCACAF Gold Cup squad here last evening by the coaching staff for what they said was the player's "constant breaching and challenging of team rules, which was seen as disruptive and inconsistent with general objectives of the team".
- However, the player in his defence yesterday just prior to his departure from the team hotel to the airport, told the media that in addition to doing nothing wrong to be sent home, he was not given a hearing to defend himself from the charges.
- According to a statement from the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), the "coaching staff of the Jamaica national team has taken a decision to withdraw defender Damion Stewart from the squad currently participating in the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States".
- The JFF release quoted head coach Theodore Whitmore as saying: "Damion never gave us the impression that he was focused and wanted to be a part of the team and how it operates. He questioned and challenged everything even team tactics. Even his teammates were not pleased with his behaviour and general attitude.
- "I have tried to keep him in line, but he has not shown a willingness to change. We cannot have a situation where the team is damaged because of the selfishness and indiscipline of one man," Whitmore said.
- During the one-week pre-Gold Cup camp in the Cayman Islands, Stewart was among a group of players fined for breaches. He and Jermaine Johnson were also fined heavily for missing the flight from Jamaica to Miami at the start of the Gold Cup tournament.
- But the player challenged the coaching staff's charges against him and how the situation was handled.
- "I am just trying to clear myself to let the public know that I didn't feel like I did anything wrong to be going home," Stewart, 28, said, before adding that he was hurt.
- "Well, definitely, it is the ultimate insult, and I am not going to tell you that I'm not feeling bad. I'm feeling very bad right now because every time I put on the shirt, whether I'm playing idle football or even friendly football, I always give my all, especially when I'm playing for Jamaica, so I don't see how on earth they could draw that conclusion that I don't want to be here. That surprised me," he said.
- The Queens Park Rangers fans player of the year and players' player of the year explained that at about 11:20 yesterday morning he went to the room of the head of delegation Bruce Gaynor to collect his per diem, when he was made aware of his fate.
- "Well I was told that I didn't look like I was interested or I didn't look like I wanted to be here. That's the reason I was given to say that I was going home... at about 11:21 today, which is when aI went there to collect some per diem from the head of delegation.
- "I saw like the vice-president, Mr Anderson (Raymond), the coach and head of delegation, and they said that the coach has come to a decision to send me home. At that point they told me that I was going to be on the 1:30 flight, so I told them that that was a little bit too quick for me, so I would need a later flight."
- The player said he requested a private meeting with the coach in order to get a clearer idea of what his crime was supposed to be. He said the coach told him that he didn't look like he wanted to be here along with "other stuff", without elaborating.
- Stewart, popularly called 'Stew Peas' added that they were joined by the assistant coach Bradley Stewart and during that argument, the issues of him being fined in the Cayman Island, as well as being heavily fined for missing the flight to Miami came to the fore. He also claimed that he was told that he questioned everything that the coach asked him to do, and that he should just follow instructions.
- But he said he informed them that he was an opinionated person. "It didn't matter what I said. They had already made a decision that I would be going home, because even in the meeting with the coaches they are saying whatever the coach says you do, you don't follow instruction, but I told them I'm a very opinionated person, and if I have an opinion I am going to share it. We are not robots, nor programmes, so that's just me, that's who I am."
- The player argued that after being given the captain's armband in the Cayman Islands and then starting in the first two games of the Gold Cup, he was surprised to find himself banished to the grandstand for the game against El Salvador, before an ankle injury to Claude Davis gave him a reprieve." Jamaica Observer


- Removed from the QPR Staff Directory: Deputy Commercial & Marketing Director, David Orman

- Two QPR Fans Found Guilty

- Decade Flashback: Two QPR Staffers take part in New York Marathon

- Base Soccer Agency Clients

- Charlton in Financial Trouble

Blog Archive