QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

QPR's Win at Exeter - Video, Reports and Comments

- For cutting-edge, updated-throughout-the-day, football-only news about QPR: Visit the QPR Report Messageboard (and quasi blog)! Feel free to just read. But your posts are welcome! All views genuinely welcomed! [You can follow QPR Report on Twitter and QPR Report Facebook]

- Video: Goals from Exeter vs QPR

- QPR Interest in Gillingham's Simeon Jackson?

- Ex-QPRs: Rehman versus Blackstock Tonight "[Rehman's] first-Day Howler..."

- "Every Player Counts" - Clubs Involved in Expanding Football Disability Opportunities

- A QPR Fan Notes Programme Omission and QPR Response

- Flashback: Dexter Blackstock's Debut in Gary Waddock's Final Win as QPR Manager

- Two Year Flashback: Ecclestone After...Arsenal!

- Court Imposes Prison Sentences on Two QPR Fans

- Football League Teams of the Week

- Gerry Francis Signing on again with Stoke

QPR Official Site: Exeter 0 QPR 5 - Magilton: STRONG WORDS NEEDED
- Jim Magilton revealed to www.qpr.co.uk that he still wasn't happy, despite seeing his QPR side beat Exeter City 5-0 in the Carling Cup tonight.
- Following the rout at St James' Park, the R's boss said: "I can't say I was overly happy with that performance, particularly the first half.
- "I think it is fair to say that for 45 minutes we were certainly second best.
- "I gave the players a few strong words of encouragement shall we say at half-time because I felt in the first half we played into Exeter's strengths.
- "We allowed them to show what a good side they are.
- "Perhaps we felt we could just turn a switch on and do what we needed to do.
- "But there are no switches in football. You have to play at your best every single week, otherwise you will get punished.
- "In the second half we raised the tempo and once we got the first goal, we played a lot better.
- "The scoreline probably flattered us, but it's encouraging signs.
- "The response the players gave after half-time delighted me.
- "They're a great bunch of lads because they took the rollicking and stood up like men.
- "It was great to see Alessandro Pellicori score on his competitive debut. Hopefully that bodes well for the future." QPR

- QPR manager Jim Magilton watched his side serve up a five-star treat to knock Exeter out of the Carling Cup - but he was not entirely happy.
- After a goalless first half, Rangers went on to win by 5-0, a scoreline that certainly flattered the London side.
- Wayne Routledge nipped in and lofted the ball over Paul Jones and into an unguarded net for Rangers' opener.
- Routledge grabbed his second moments later. Patrick Agyemang did the hard work before slipping the ball into the path of the winger, who drilled it home.
- Routledge completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot. Kasper Gorkss' header appeared to hit the post and cross the line before being cleared by Scott Golbourne.
- The linesman flagged for a penalty, Golbourne was sent off and Routledge sent Jones the wrong way with the spot kick.
- Substitute Alessandro Pellicori's simple tap in and Hogan Ephraim's close range shot sealed an emphatic win for the Londoners, but Magilton said it was anything but.
- He said: "I am not particularly happy. For 45 minutes, I thought we were certainly second best and it took a few strong words of encouragement at half-time shall we say.
- "I felt we stood off Exeter, we played into their strengths first half and they showed what a good side they are.
- "We all felt we needed to turn a few switches on at half-time. We have to be spot on every single week.
- "It was difficult for them when they went a man down, but we had to be ruthless and ruthless we were. Five-nil probably flattered us, but it is encouraging signs."

- Exeter manager Paul Tisdale praised his side.
- He said: "They worked very hard, they had a very good hour and went toe-to-toe with a very good side and it didn't go our way at the end.
- "We have a day off now and we will start again on Thursday.
- "It was disappointing because it is never nice to lose like that at home, but we lost to a very good side and now we have a very big game (against Norwich City) in Saturday.
- "I'm not disheartened because I saw a lot of good things out there tonight, but we have work to do." Sporting Life


So on a beautiful summer's evening at the Park City capitulate to a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of a decent looking QueensPark Rangers side in the first round of the Carling Cup in front of 4614 supporters, including some 800-odd who'd travelled down from West London. City lined up: Jones; Golbourne, Seaborne, Taylor, Duffy; Harley, Cozic, Russell, Sercombe; Stewart, McAllister.

With daytime temperatures approaching the mid 20s, it was somewhat of a blessing that the first home fixture of the new season was an evening kick-off, although it was City who were cooking on gas in during the opening exchanges when Harley and Stewart combined on the left hand side to give Stewart a sighter with a speculative long range effort that the keeper collected comfortably.

QPR responded in kind by immediately taking the ball down the other end and looping a header onto the top of the cross bar from a floated cross from the right. Jones had to be alert moments later with a smart double stop firstly from the livewire former Aston Villa player Wayne Routledge who shot low then collected the rebound just as giant striker Patrick Agyemang closed in.

Midway through the half the now beefed up Liam Sercombe set off on a bursting run through the middle, but was bundled out on the edge of the box before spotting Stewart in acres of space to his right, then two minutes later City had their first proper attempt on goal when Scott Golbourne played an intelligent ball into Stewart just inside the box. With his back to goal Stewart took a moment to control the ball before turning and lashing a first time effort towards the roof of the net that the keeper gratefully held.

In something of a golden period for City they were straight on the attack again with Stewart, Duffy and McAllister working the ball from the right to Harley on the left. He in turn turned his defender inside out before fizzing a waist height cross across the box where Stewart stooped at the near post to plant a header straight into the keeper's midriff.

With City's tails up they continued to press and finished much the stronger side - despite conceding the lion's share of possession to the visitors - and it was fitting that midfield powerhouse Bertie Cozic should have the final say of the half unleashing a vicious low drive from all of thirty yards out that had the keeper scrambling across his line to keep his goal intact.

During the interval it was a most welcome sight to see local lad Liam Tanco** on the pitch, and it was equally welcoming to hear his thoughts on his world records and world championship success recently in the 50m backstroke in Rome, plus his thoughts on City too. Nice one Liam, good to see you at the Park.

Anyways, soon enough it was time for the second half, and within a couple of minutes City looked to continue where they left off in the first half when Duffy had the keeper interested with punt from long range. A couple of minutes further in and Cozic set off on a lung bursting charge through the centre of the defence, and despite a QPR defender's best efforts at hauling him back, Bertie managed to lay the ball perfectly into the path of Stewart just inside the box. However Stewart screwed the shot horribly across the face of goal and the chance was gone.

Then in the ninth minute QPR were all of a sudden in the lead. The ball was flighted through from deep, millimetres away from the outstretched boot of the backtracking Seaborne, but perfectly weighted for the storming Routledge to stick out a toe and guide the ball past Jones from the edge of the box to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

City looked to hit back immediately, but Duffy's whipped in cross from the right couldn't be converted by McAllister as the keeper comfortably gathered his powerful far post header. But just six minutes after taking the lead QPR doubled their advantage when Agyemang showed superb patience holding the ball up in front of three defenders before calmly laying the ball off to the right where Routledge raced through to smash low past Jones from ten yards to now make it 2-0 to QPR.

They weren't finished there though, as two minutes later Routledge completed an eight minute hat trick with a well struck penalty. A hanging cross to the far post looked to have been headed in, but the linesman on the far side decided that Golborne handled in trying to keep the ball out, and thus he was red carded and the penalty awarded, so for the second game running City would finish the match with ten men.

In the aftermath of the sending off, Stewart was sacrificed to bring Tully on at right back with Duffy switching to left back, then a couple of minutes later Logan and Norwood replaced McAllister and Russell. The introduction of Tully almost paid immediate dividends when his hoisted free kick into the box was met on the full by Matt Taylor's head, but the direction wasn't there and the ball whizzed past the far post. A minute or so later Taylor was at it again, but this time just lifting a powerful header over the bar from Harley's corner.

With five minutes to go Jones pulled off a miraculous save tipping over a looping far post header, then from the resulting corner an identical header was this time cleared off the line from inches beyond Jones' flailing glove. Up the other end Sercombe sent Norwood scampering, but in a complete rush of blood to his head he made a right hash of his shot skying it high onto the Bank from the edge of the box.

A minute later QPR got their fourth when the ball was played out to the right and crossed back across the face of goal where it was drilled home from close range to make it 4-0, then in the 90th minute four became five when Hogan Ephraim scored the goal of the game skipping down the left then cutting in to smash a beautifully curving dipping strike into the top corner to give Jones no chance. He nearly repeated the effort deep into stoppage time, but this time Duffy was on hand to clear off the line almost getting cut in half with the power of the shot.

But thankfully the ref put us out of our misery soon after, and off we trudged to reflect on the performance. Which is strange really, because in the first half we played pretty well, and were quite a good match for QPR. However in the second half those three quick goals from a true quality player did for any aspirations we might have had of making the second round of this particular trophy for the first time in 16 years. The sending off didn't help either (obviously), and made the scoreline look a bit harsher than it actually was.

But QPR were good value for their win though, so well done to them. As for City, three players made their home debuts, and all three looked to hav plenty for the manager to work with. However, it was the more established favourites who shone today, Cozic and Harley in particular, ably supported by the resurgent Alex Russell. We looked quite bright at times today against our loftier opponents, so it will be interesting to see how we do against another 'bigger' side when Norwich visit on Saturday. Which Norwich will turn up is anyone's guess though - the one that got spanked 7-1 at home on Saturday, or the one that won 4-0 tonight - who knows? There's only one way to find out though, so get yourself, and a friend, up to the Park this Saturday for our first home fixture back in League One, plus there's the chance to welcome back one of the heroes of last season in Matt Gill too.

It should be a great game to watch, so see you there. Exeter

QPR OFFICIAL SITE - Exeter City 0 vs QPR 5
- Wayne Routledge hit a classy treble to send the R's into Round Two of the League Cup.
- The away side were more than value for their win after the break, with Routledge scoring soon after the break to put the R's in the lead.
- Thereafter, his drilled effort just eight minutes later put Rangers two up before he added another with a penalty after Scott Golbourne was sent off. Alessandro Pellicori notched a fourth from close-range late on, before Hogan Ephraim finished matters with a stunning effort.

Rangers Manager Jim Magilton wrung the changes at St. James Park, making no fewer than seven alterations to the side that drew at home to Blackpool on Saturday.

Notable inclusions to the R's starting eleven included Akos Buzsaky and RowanVine, and though Magilton had made a magnitude of changes, it was still a strong looking line-up.

Elsewhere, Peter Ramage had to make do with a place on the substitutes bench after his late goal heroics at the weekend, whilst Martin Rowlands was missing due to an ankle problem that enforced his substitution against the Tangerines on Saturday.

As Rangers emerged onto the Devonshire turf in their all-new limited edition third shirt, it was indeed Magilton's boys who started the stronger and created the first chance.

Good work down the right enabled Matt Connolly to find space. Looking up, he played a beautiful cross to Vine, who shrugged off the advances of his Exeter counterpart before heading for goal - only to see his shot scrape the top of Paul Jones' crossbar in the Grecians goal and behind for a goal kick.

Moments later, it was the R's who were on the attack again, but this time they got their first clear-cut opportunity to find the net.

After good linkage between Patrick Agyemang and Vine, Wayne Routledge found himself through on the right. Bearing down on goal, the R's winger drilled in a shot hard and low, only to see his shot parried away by Exeter goalkeeper Jones.

It was a lively opening from the R's - in front of a 800-strong away following, who were incidentally, enjoying some friendly banter with Grecians Director of Football Steve Perryman after he could be heard at the back of the main stand chanting "Rooodneeeey." That of course, was in reference to R's legend Rodney Marsh.

At the other end, it was the League One outfit that created their first notable opportunity. After a ball was played into the box in the direction of Marcus Stewart, the former Sunderland man held off Matt Connolly before turning to shoot. His effort, though, was comfortably dealt with by Radek Cerny.

That opportunity seemed to rally the home side, and soon they were to test Cerny again in the Rangers goal. After Ryan Harley beat his full-back, he crossed in dangerously to Stewart whose header wasn't enough to beat last season's Golden Glove winner in the Coca-Cola Championship.

It wasn't long before Exeter were on the attack again, and when Berti Cozic received the ball 25-yards out, he sent in a thunderous drive that was well dealt with by Cerny.

It was a game of high intensity, and soon the action was down the other end. This time, when Vine found the ball out wide, he crossed with intent towards the area, and only a risky header from Dan Seaborne could prevent the R's from finding an opportunity to score.

Routledge then broke away down the right before crossing for Damion Stewart, who was still up from a corner. His header was on target, though well palmed wide by Jones.

Fresh from their half-time refreshments, both sides were back to try and nick a goal that would take them through to the Second Round of the competition.

And it was Exeter who started the better, as Richard Duffy saw his long-range shot cause Cerny some discomfort in the R's goal.

Moments later, the home side were on the attack again. Cozic was the man at the centre of the play this time, completing a darting run by sliding a ball neatly to Stewart, but he could only shoot at Cerny.

It seemed as though the home team were taking control of the game, with large amounts of the game were being played in Rangers territory.

When you play higher opposition, though, for all your endeavour sometimes class tells - and it did when Rangers took the lead in the 53rd minute.

After Mikele Leigertwood won the ball in the middle of the park, he played a superb threaded pass to Routledge, who was through on goal.

With the goalkeeper advancing, it would have been easy for Routledge to blunder - but he didn't comfortably dinking the ball over Jones to give Rangers the lead.

From the kick-off, the home side could have found themselves level after Duffy crossed for Craig McAllister, but he could only power his header straight at Cerny.

It was pressure though, that didn't last long - and the R's now found themselves well in control when they added a second.

Agyemang used his lightening pace to power in to the area. Under pressure, he beat two men before releasing Routledge on the right. The angle was tight, but Routledge didn't mind, drilling home past the goalkeeper to put the R's in control in the 61stminute.

And if the game wasn't already safe, just three minutes later it surely was, as Routledge completed his hat-trick.

When Buzsaky sent over a corner and found Kaspars Gorkss, the defender had a header cleared off the line by the hand of Scott Golbourne.

The referee was left with no choice but to send him off and point for a penalty, and it was left for Routledge to slot home from the spot for his third goal.

The game could have seen Rangers add a fourth goal when only a great save prevented Gareth Ainsworth scoring a looping header, before Gorkss was denied with a similar effort.

That fourth goal did come though in the 85th minute courtesy of Pellicori. When Buzsaky's far post cross was headed back across the face of goal by Gorkss, Pellicori controlled before sending home his first competitive goal in an R's shirt.

The visitors weren't finished their neither, Ephraim this time with a stunning drive in the 89th from outside the area that meant that Rangers now find themselves in Round Two of the League Cup.

Exeter City: Jones, Duffy, Russell (Logan 71), Seaborne, Taylor, Harley, McAllister (Norwood 71), Golbourne, Cozic, Stewart, Sercombe.
Subs: Marriott, Tully, Saunders, Burnell, Archibald-Henville.
Red Cards: Golbourne (64).
QPR: Cerny, Stewart, Leigertwood, Routledge (Ainsworth 65), Vine (Pellicori 65), Buzsaky, Agyemang (Mahon 71), Gorkss, Connolly, Ephraim, Borrowdale. Subs: Putnins, Ramage, Hall, Alberti.
Goals: Routledge (53 , 61, 64), Pellicori (85), Ephraim (89).
Bookings: Ephraim (47).
Referee: Mr S Bratt.
Attendance: 4,614 (813). QPR


- Stan Bowles Flashback and Photos

- Eight Year Flashback: Our First Game back in "Division Three" since 1967 ends in Win

- Leon Jeanne Signs for Weston

- Video: QPR vs Blackpool

- Several "Top Ten" Football Lists

- Flashback: If Chris Wright had Never Bought QPR

- Football Agent's Fraud Trial Begins

- QPR Statements "Be On Your Best Behaviour" and "R'S Back 'Enjoy the Match Campaign"

Blog Archive