QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Sun "Gossip" Managerial Possibility, Dennis Wise - One Year Since Quit Millwall

-
Soccernet: May 8, 2005 Wise resigns as Millwall manager

Dennis Wise has confirmed he has stepped down as Millwall manager following a meeting with new club chairman Jeff Burnige. The Lions player-boss led his team for the final time in today's goalless draw with Burnley, with the east Londoners ending the season in 10th place. He said: 'I've had a meeting with the new chairman, he told me his direction and I didn't agree.' Wise took the managerial reins at the New Den in October 2003, having joined the club as a player in September 2002. He made a mixed start, beating Sheffield United 2-0 but getting sent off just four minutes after bringing himself on as a substitute. The team reached the FA Cup final against the odds in the 2003-04 season, losing 3-0 to Manchester United in the final but claiming a place in the UEFA Cup. They were unable to make it to the group stages of the competition however as they lost 4-2 on aggregate to Hungarian side Ferencvaros.
Wise, sitting alongside outgoing chairman Theo Paphitis after the Burnley match, said: 'I have had a long chat with the players and have decided that as of now, I am stepping down as manager of Millwall. 'I feel that it is important that the new chairman is allowed to get on with things; he has made it clear that he wants a fresh start and I think it is only fair that he is allowed to get on with it. 'I came in with Theo and I'm going with Theo. As far as (assistant boss) Ray (Wilkins) is concerned, he is meeting Jeff Burnige on Tuesday, but he is totally separate to me.'
Paphitis added: 'Dennis felt it was right to step down at this time. 'He is a bit bigger than the 5ft 4in the fans sing about, and it takes a very, very big bloke to put the club before himself, which is what Dennis is doing. 'He could have stayed, but Dennis feels it is right for Jeff and the club to move on. 'I would personally like to thank him for providing us with a couple of the most memorable years of our lives; years that are unlikely to ever be repeated.' Wise continued: 'I would like to thank everyone at the club. I have loved Millwall, loved every single minute of it. They are a great bunch of lads here and the fans have just been fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.' http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=332936&cc=5739


SPORTING LIFE WISE RESIGNS AS MILLWALL BOSS
Dennis Wise quit as Millwall manager on Sunday - a year after guiding the Lions to the FA Cup final. The former England midfielder revealed his decision to surprised players just minutes after their final game of the season - a goalless draw with Burnley. With club chairman Theo Paphitis deciding to stand aside this summer, Wise's future at the New Den has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks. And he admitted he failed to "hit it off" with new chairman Jeff Burnige.
Wise said: "I've had a meeting with the new chairman, he told me his direction and I didn't agree. "We just didn't hit it off and I just want what is best for the club. "I've just told the lads in the dressing room and it has come as a big shock to them. "I've been thinking about it for a long time and I came to the decision that I started here with Theo and I want to go out with him. "This is all about Millwall and what is best for them. Having met with the chairman it was clear that me staying in charge was not in the best interest of the club. "I've loved my time with Millwall, I've found the fans brilliant. People told me the supporters were hard work here but they've been magnificent to me. "This season has exceeded all expectation, the lads are happy with what we have achieved over the last couple of years." Wise took the managerial reins at the New Den in October 2003, having joined the club as a player in September 2002. He made a mixed start, beating Sheffield United 2-0 but being sent off just four minutes after bringing himself on as a substitute. The team reached the FA Cup final against the odds in the 2003-04 season, losing 3-0 to Manchester United in the final but claiming a place in the UEFA Cup. They were unable to make it to the group stages of the competition however as they lost 4-2 on aggregate to Hungarian side Ferencvaros.
Wise confirmed assistant manager Ray Wilkins would hold talks with Burnige this week. Despite his resignation as manager, Wise still has one year left on his playing contract at the New Den. He refused to be drawn on his future on the pitch. Wise added: "I'm keen to let the new chairman get on with it and whoever the new manager is, it will be his choice which players stay and leave, including me. "I got one more year left on my playing contract but I'm not thinking about that. "I just want to relax now the season has finished, I've been delighted how things have gone this year. "Ray Wilkins is staying on in his capacity and he is having a meeting with the new chairman about his future on Thursday." Departing chairman Paphitis hailed Wise's contribution to the club's success. Paphitis said: "It was right for the club and right for the new chairman for Dennis to move on. "Dennis should be thanked for all his efforts. He has given the club and supporters the best two years of our lives." Wise's decision to quit brought drama following a game that offered very little...
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/05/08/SOCCER_Millwall_Snap.html&TEAMHD=soccer


(From BBC) Dennis Wise's Millwall path to the FA Cup Final
3rd Round: Millwall 2-1 Walsall: The Lions came from behind to defeat a Walsall side reduced to nine men
4th Round: Telford United 0-2 Millwall: Paul Ifill and Dennis Wise were on target to book Millwall's place in the FA Cup fifth round
5th Round: Millwall 1-0 Burnley: Danny Dichio's header was enough to send Millwall through at the New Den
QF: Millwall 0-0 Tranmere Rovers: A penalty miss from Kevin Muscat earned Tranmere an FA Cup quarter-final replay
QF Replay Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Millwall: Two early goals secured Millwall a place in their first FA Cup semi-final for 67 years
Semi Final Sunderland 0-1 Millwall: Tim Cahill's goal earned Millwall their first-ever FA Cup final at the expense of 10-man Sunderland
Final: Manchester United 3 Millwall 0

Blog Archive