QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, January 09, 2011

QPR Report Sunday: Blackburn Reports...Warnock's Perspective and Non-Player Signing...Parejo's Goal vs Real Madrid

Rodnee Flashback: Enlarged Photo
For QPR and Football Latest Updates and perspectives throughout the day, visit the QPR Report Messageboard. All QPR and football perspectives welcome...Also Follow: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER

- Video: Dani Parejo Scoring vs Real Madrid last week

- Forty Years ago Today, the Gordon Jago "era" at QPR began with a draw at Luton

- Birthday for Ex-QPRs Iain Dowie and Marc Nygard

- Three Year Flashback: Mark Dennis "controversial" column about QPR - and then his follow-up article.

- Three Year Flashback: Tommasi Departs QPR

- Follow The Asian Cup (Now Underway)
- Warnock's Guardian Interview/Profile: No Money for Mid-Season Transfers?

Mackie Breaks his Leg as Blackburn Knock QPR Out of the FA Cup

Daily Mail

Neil Warnock admitted the R's FA Cup defeat at Blackburn 'paled into insignificance' following Jamie Mackie's double leg fracture.

Rangers went down to a solitary Junior Hoilett strike at Ewood Park, after more than matching their Premier League opponents over the course of the 90 minutes.

Speaking exclusively to www.qpr.co.uk, Warnock said: "I thought we did okay.

"But the result is immaterial on a day like today.

"We've lost a great player and a great lad, so it's devastating."

Warnock revealed he hadn't planned to select Mackie, but was forced to do so following a couple of late injuries in training on Friday lunchtime.

"We lost Smith and Ephraim on Friday, as well as Fitz this morning," he said.

"We had three youngsters on the bench and could only name six subs, so it was always going to be difficult for us today.

"Bruno came on and did well. He'll always remember today - making his FA Cup debut.

"I thought we'd give the kids a chance.

"It wasn't about selecting a weakened team - we picked all we had today!"

Warnock revealed he is hopeful of adding to his squad over the coming weeks, adding: "We're quite limited at the moment.

"We've lost Mackie and Kyle Walker in the same week, so I'm really disappointed right now.

"We also missed out on Kyle Naughton, because we couldn't afford what Leicester paid Spurs for his loan.

"I'm really disappointed, but as in football, there's always Monday and we'll assess it then."

DAILY MAIL - Blackburn 1 QPR 0: Profligate Rovers spared as Hoilett fathoms a winner
Junior Hoilett's first goal for Blackburn was enough to beat Championship leaders QPR after Rovers has missed a host of chances in their FA Cup third-round tie at Ewood Park.

Mame Biram Diouf (twice), Ryan Nelsen, Gael Givet and El-Hadji Diouf could all have given their side a comfortable lead.

However, the 20-year-old Hoilett showed them all how it should be done with a shot from the edge of the penalty area late in the second half.
Rangers' Alejandro Faurlin beats Michel Salgado in the air

Air heads: Rangers' Alejandro Faurlin beats Michel Salgado in the air

The sparse crowd of 10,284 - 14,238 fewer than the one which witnessed the midweek Barclays Premier League victory over Liverpool - was given plenty of goalmouth action but had to wait until 14 minutes from time for the decisive finish.

It took Rovers just 51 seconds to carve out their first chance when Mame Biram Diouf fired across Paddy Kenny but wide of the far post.

There then followed almost a procession of chances for the home side - exactly the type which on Wednesday they had buried against the Merseysiders.

At the heart of it all was Morten Gamst Pedersen, who was the major creative force from central midfield.

When he was not swinging in tempting crosses or firing in free-kicks he was prompting and probing in an attempt to find the one pass which would break down QPR's defence.

Hoilett, man of the match against Liverpool, also put in another positive display and eventually provided the killer blow which had been so lacking in everything previously.

Rovers should have been well out of sight by that point, however, as they had enough opportunities in the first half alone to put the result beyond doubt.

Nelsen headed wide Pedersen's inswinging free-kick before only the brilliance of Kenny kept the score goalless at half-time.

Pedersen's 18th-minute cross from the right brilliantly picked out Mame Biram Diouf but the Senegalese striker saw his header expertly tipped over.

Seconds later the goalkeeper produced an identical save to deny Givet, who had deflected Pedersen's cross goalwards.

It was the Frenchman's last contribution as he soon departed on a stretcher after a collision with Jamie Mackie which also saw the QPR forward carried off after lengthy treatment.
Injury blow: Rangers' Jamie Mackie is carried off

Injury blow: Rangers' Jamie Mackie is carried off

When the action resumed Pedersen was quickly back into his stride, teeing up El-Hadji Diouf on the edge of the penalty area only for him to sidefoot over.

QPR had limited opportunities of their own but although they were infrequent they were decent chances.

Before he was injured Mackie's shot beat Mark Bunn only for Nelsen to clear off the line while Petter Vaagan Moen's fizzing 40-yard free-kick in first-half added time was tipped onto the crossbar by Bunn.

Mame Biram Diouf should have put his side ahead on the hour after getting around the back of the QPR defence to latch on to Pedersen's free-kick.

However, his attempt at controlling the ball on his thigh was poor and it shot away from him and off the pitch close to the post.

Hoilett was closer as his shot, after a weaving run along the edge of the penalty area was deflected just over by Clint Hill.

El-Hadji Diouf then drove into the side-netting as Rovers began to turn up the pressure, which ultimately resulted in Hoilett's winner.

The breakthrough finally came in the 76th minute when El-Hadji Diouf cut in from the left, beat a couple of defenders and squared the ball to Hoilett on the edge of the penalty area.

The 20-year-old's perfectly-aimed shot beat Kenny's dive and nestled in the corner of the net.

Jason Roberts, who came on as a substitute at half-time, should have made the result safe moments later but headed wide unmarked from Josh Morris' cross to the near post.

With six minutes to go Kaspars Gorkss' header hit the crossbar - the second time the visitors had been denied by the woodwork - and it was obvious their luck was not in.
Daily Mail

Guardian - Junior Hoilett steps in to fill Ronaldinho's boots for winner Richard Jolly at Ewood Park
In a parallel universe, this could have been Ronaldinho's Blackburn Rovers debut. Should he be wavering in his intention to return to his native Brazil, neither a low-calibre game nor a deserted Ewood Park is likely to convince him his future ought to lie in East Lancashire.

Minus the former World Player of the Year, World Cup and Champions League winner, the implausible transfer target of Rovers' new owners, Venky's, Steve Kean's depleted side nonetheless ensured progress.

Just when a replay beckoned, Junior Hoilett accepted a low pass from El-Hadji Diouf and drilled a low shot past Paddy Kenny. It was just a second career goal for the young Canadian, but it earned Rovers back-to-back wins.

It capped a fine week for both Kean and Hoilett. The latter had excelled in the demolition of Liverpool and it was thanks to their last line of defence that QPR put up more resistance. As Blackburn threatened, Paddy Kenny produced two outstanding saves in as many minutes.

First he clawed away Mame Biram Diouf's header. Then, when Gael Givet stooped to head a cross that was barely knee height, the goalkeeper excelled again. It was telling that both chances resulted from Morten Gamst Pedersen's crosses. The Norwegian's set-piece expertise was a factor with Ryan Nelsen heading one free kick wide and another, swerving viciously, being intercepted by the goalkeeper.

Pedersen was the supplier, too, when El-Hadji Diouf lifted a shot over the bar. Yet it was another Norwegian who came closer to breaking deadlock. Minus the rested Adel Taarabt, Peter Vaagen Moen was handed a first start for Rangers. The recent recruit from Brann Bergen suggested he was a worthy replacement with a ferocious free kick that Mark Bunn touched on to the bar.

Neil Warnock had named a second-string side in the Carling Cup, when Port Vale eliminated QPR. His decision to select the majority of his first-choice players came at a cost when Jamie Mackie was stretchered off after a clash of knees with Givet. Rovers, already without seven senior players, lost their left-back as a result.

A series of misses, with Mame Biram Diouf the major culprit, also appeared costly before Hoilett intervened to spare Rovers a rematch at Loftus Road.

QPR Official Site

QPR bowed out of the FA Cup with their heads held high, going down to Junior Hoilett's 77th minute strike.

The R's could count themselves unfortunate, as Neil Warnock's men more than held their own against their Premier League opponents.

Indeed, Rangers were twice denied by the woodwork, with Petter Vaagan Moen and Kaspars Gorkss seeing efforts bounce back off the bar.

Sandwiched in between those efforts, Rovers youngster Hoilett produced an unaccomplished finish, giving Paddy Kenny no chance from the edge of the penalty area.

Warnock made three changes to his side for the R's trip to Lancashire.

Out of the starting 11 went Tommy Smith, Adel Taarabt and Kyle Walker - who returned to Tottenham Hotspur last week upon the expiry of his three-month loan deal.

And they were replaced by Vaagan Moen - who was making his first-ever start for the R's - Leon Clarke and Gary Borrowdale respectively.

Kenny was in goal for QPR, behind a back four of Bradley Orr, Gorkss, Clint Hill and Borrowdale.

Shaun Derry and Alejandro Faurlin were in holding midfield, behind the attack-minded trio of Jamie Mackie, Vaagan Moen and Clarke.

Rob Hulse began up top for the R's.

Elsewhere, Lee Cook was on the bench for QPR, as he looked to make his first outing in Rangers colours for seven months following a knee injury.

The first 15 minutes of the tie proved to be an even contest, with neither team giving an inch.

But it was the hosts who were to fire the first shot in anger.

Hoilett picked up possession on the right, before he slid a perfectly-weighted through ball for Mame Diouf.

The striker beat Gorkss for pace, before he fired a low drive just wide of the left-hand post.

Play soon switched to the other end where, after Mackie touched the ball to Hulse on 20 yards, the R's front-man lashed an effort straight at Bunn from 20-yards out.

Moments later, Kenny was forced into two tremendous saves in the space of a minute to keep the scores level.

Morten Gamst Pedersen twice played the architect, first planting a cross onto the head of Mame Diouf, whose bullet header was magnificently tipped away to safety by Kenny at his top right-hand corner.

And the R's keeper soon had to be at his very best once again.

Pedersen - this time from the left - played a telling cross onto the head of Gael Givet - whose header from close range was palmed for a corner by Kenny.

But QPR were more than matching the higher-league opposition.

Vaagan Moen, who was on the stretch, swept a superb ball out wide on the right to Mackie, who advanced into the box before his cross-come-shot was cleared off the line by Grant Hanley.

The R's were forced into an early change on the half hour mark.

Givet and Mackie both crashed to the ground in agony, after the latter's strong challenge midway into QPR's half.

Both players were unable to continue, as Givet made way for Josh Morris, before Bruno Andrade came into the fold to replace Mackie.

Vaagan Moen almost put the R's a goal up in first-half stoppage time.

Hulse was felled on 35 yards, before the Norwegian midfield man's spectacular long-range blast was brilliantly tipped onto the bar and out of play by Blackburn shot-stopper Mark Bunn.

The second period started in similar fashion to the first, with little to choose between the sides.

Though Rangers were first to go close.

Hulse fed Vaagan Moen on the edge of the opposing box, before the R's attacker dragged an effort just wide of the right-hand post.

Rovers missed a great chance to opening the scoring on 60 minutes.

Former Spanish international Michel Salgado's lovely diagonal centre from a free-kick in his own half found an unmarked Mame Diouf who, in acres of space, miss-controlled the ball as it went out for a goal-kick.

The R's continued to look dangerous on the counter attack, with substitute Andrade, in particular, putting in an encouraging performance from the right flank.

Kenny was soon forced into another fine save to keep the R's on level terms.

Mame Diouf's stinging shot bounced up off the foot of Hill, before Kenny produced a splendid stop to tip the ball around the post at his left-hand upright.

But there was nothing the Rangers shot-stopper could do to shut Rovers out on their next attack, as the hosts all-but sealed their place in the fourth round.

El Hadji Diouf played provider, as he broke free out wide before turning the ball back to the waiting Hoilett on 18 yards, who drilled an unstoppable low effort into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

The R's almost forced a replay on 85 minutes.

Vaagan Moen's pinpoint ball from a deep free-kick found an unmarked Gorkss six yards from goal, before the Latvian defender crashed a header onto the bar and out of play.

Blackburn Rovers: Bunn, Givet (Morris 30), Nelson, E H Diouf, Pedersen, Benjani (Roberts 46), Hoilett, Salgado (Linganzi 83), Hanley, Lowe, M B Diouf.

Subs: Fielding, Doran, Goulon, Cotton.

Goals: Hoilett (77)

QPR: Kenny, Orr, Hill, Derry, Clarke, Faurlin (Cook 83), Mackie (Andrade 31), Gorkss, Hulse (Doughty 89), Vaagan Moen, Borrowdale.

Subs: Cerny, Tofas, Doughty, Harriman.

Bookings: Borrowdale (37), Derry (90)

Referee: Mr P Walton

Attendance: 10, 284


Blackburn Official Site

A second half strike from Junior Hoilett was enough to send Rovers through to the fourth round of the FA Cup at the expense of Queens Park Rangers.

It was a game that should have been wrapped up long before it finally was, as spurned chances and good goalkeeping thwarted Steve Kean's side until the closing stages at Ewood Park.

The first half saw Rovers start brightly with Mame Biram Diouf twice going close in the opening minutes.

Then Rangers 'keeper Paddy Kenny made two superb saves, first to deny striker Diouf, then to claw a Gael Givet header aside.

Givet's match ended prematurely after a clash with Jamie Mackie, as both players were stretchered off. El-Hadji Diouf going close with an effort from the edge of the area.

Petter Vaagen Moen would go closer for the Championship league leaders with an audacious free-kick from fully 40 yards. Mark Bunn taking no chances in tipping the Norwegian's added time effort onto the crossbar.

Chances continued in the second half, Mame Biram Diouf wasteful in front of goal from Morten Gamst Pedersen's free-kick, then following a mazy run Junior Hoilett saw a shot deflected over.

Just when it looked like a replay would be required, man of the moment Junior Hoilett was on hand to ensure ti would be Rovers who would progress. A neat bit of skill from El-Hadji Diouf opened up space and he found Hoilett to shift the ball and drill it low into the far corner.

Jason Roberts spurned the chance to double Rovers' lead almost immediately but couldn't connect cleanly with Josh Morris' pinpoint cross. That could have been costly when Kaspars Gorkss headed against the crossbar with six minutes to go.

But that was only a late scare as Rovers played out time with ease to book their place in Sunday's draw with a third win in four outings.

Following Rovers' impressive 3-1 win over Liverpool just the three changes were made for the FA Cup encounter.

Martin Olsson missed out with a slight calf strain sustained in Wednesday's win, Chris Samba reported flu symptoms, whilst David Dunn was rested for the cup tie.

Incoming saw a debut for 19-year-old midfielder Jason Lowe, with Grant Hanley and El-Hadji Diouf returning to the starting eleven.

Neil Warnock also made just the three changes after their Bank Holiday Monday draw with Bristol City.

Less than a minute was on the clock when Rovers fashioned their first chance, Benjani's neat flick sending Junior Hoilett racing into space to feed Mame Biram Diouf in the area, but his shot across goal went wide.

A minute later the Senegal striker was called upon again, but this time he fired straight at Rangers 'keeper Paddy Kenny.

It was a lively opening, Rovers zipping the ball around with pace, Junior Hoilett again impressing, another twisting run from the Canadian saw him drill the ball across goal but Borrowdale slid to put the ball behind as Benjani and Mame Diouf lurked in the six yard box.

Rovers continued to press and probe, a 15th minute free-kick from Morten Gamst Pedersen saw Ryan Nelsen meet the ball firmly, but unfortunately for the captain he headed well wide. A more delicate touch may well have seen the ball in the back of the net.

Two minutes later the two almost combined, but this time Nelsen couldn't flick on and Kenny made the save low down.

Then on 19 minutes the deadlock really should have been broken with two chances in the space of 20 seconds. The first saw Jason Lowe release Morten Gamst Pedersen down the right, his cross picked out Mame Biram Diouf, but Paddy Kenny flung himself acrobatically to his right to tip the ball over for a sensational save.

From the resulting corner Kenny was again the visitor's saviour, an initially cleared the ball came back out to Pedersen who picked out Gael Givet with his centre, the Frenchman's first time shot was brilliantly turned over the bar by the Rangers number one.

The visitors had been quiet up to the midway point of the half, but an impressive run and shot by the highly-rated Jamie Mackie almost saw them open the scoring, Rovers grateful for a goal-line clearance from Grant Hanley.

But on 28 minutes a 50/50 ball saw Gael Givet and Jamie Mackie collide. A stretcher was called for to help Givet leave the field of play, the home fans standing to applaud the defender. Josh Morris on to replace.

Rangers winger Jamie Mackie also needed a stretcher, Bruno Andrande on as his replacement.

When play resumed after the lengthy delay the fluency in the game suddenly deserted Ewood Park. Passes were suddenly failing to find their target as the play became scrappy. Rovers' El-Hadji Diouf firing narrowly over after Pedersen's lay-off their only subsequent chance.

As the first half entered the latter stages Neil Warnock's side grew in confidence forcing a couple of corners and enjoying a spell of possession to frustrate the home fans.

Then deep in time added on, the blue and white faithful were breathing a sigh of relief when Mark Bunn brilliantly tipped Petter Vaagan Moen's 40-yard free-kick onto the crossbar and over.

Jason Roberts returned to action at the start of the second half replacing Benjani, but in contrast to the first, the second half was slow to get going.

Rob Hulse had glanced a header wide for the visitors, then before the hour mark another Rovers chance was spurned. Morten Gamst Pedersen's floated free-kick into the area which saw Mame Biram Diouf arrive unmarked round the back, but he somehow couldn't get his shot on target as he failed to get a clean connection on the ball.

Junior Hoilett was unlucky to see his mazy run come to nothing on 64 minutes. The diminutive Canadian, again impressing, took on all-comers as he cut in from the left with the ball. But as he shaped to shoot on the edge of the area, the ball deflected just over the bar.

Then El-Hadji Diouf drilled one into the side-netting after good work from Hoilett and Roberts.

Just when it looked like being an afternoon of frustration, up popped man of the moment Junior Hoilett to finally break the deadlock on 78.

Play started down the left with El-Hadji Diouf on the run into the area, a trick creating him space, he fed Hoilett who took a touch before lashing the ball from 18 yards into the corner past the despairing dive of Paddy Kenny.

It was Hoilett's first goal for Rovers.

It should have been 2-0 when Josh Morris put it on a plate for Roberts, but he somehow headed wide. After Hoilett's goal sixty seconds early, the Grenadian could afford a smile.

Michel Salgado made way for Amine Linganzi with eight minutes to go in a move which saw Jason Lowe move to right back. That saw a defensive line that was three quarters made up from last season's FA Youth Cup team, Ryan Nelsen the only senior alongside Hanley, Morris and Lowe.

The visitors certainly weren't down and out and were only the thickness of the crossbar away from drawing level with six minutes to go when a Petter Vaagan Moen free-kick was headed against the bar by Kaspars Gorkss.

As with the first half four additional were shown, but Rovers played them out deep in the visitor's half to ensure that it was their name associated with ball number 15 in Sunday afternoon's fourth round draw.

- Video: QPR's FA Cup Replay Win Over Arsenal
- Year Flashback: Martin Allen Back With QPR
- Two Year Flashback: Lee Cook Re-Signed for QPR
- Three Year Flashback: Rowan Vine Signs for QPR
- Four Year Flashback: Egutu Oliseh Exits QPR After Six Months
- QPR Thugs Claim

- QPR Stats
- Video: Martin Allen Talking about QPR and West Ham
- Points Deductions for Histon and Kidderminter

Blog Archive