QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

QPR Report Tuesday: Walker Returns to Spurs...Bristol City Reports...Two Indian Youths Coming...Chelsea "Union" Flashback!

The QPR Team of 1914-15: Enlarged Photo
For QPR and Football Latest Updates and perspectives throughout the day, visit the QPR Report Messageboard. All QPR and football perspectives welcome...Also Follow: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER ___________________________________________________________________________________

- Three Year Flashback: Fitz Hall Joins QPR (on a 4 1/2 Year Contract)

- Recalling the QPR-Chelsea "Union"

- VIDEO: QPR in the FA Cup 42 Years Ago - Against Tommy Docherty's Aston Villa

- January as a Month Notorious for Bad Signings

Posted on: Tue 04 Jan 2011
- Kyle Walker has returned to Tottenham Hotspur following his successful loan spell at Loftus Road.
- The England Under-21 ace, whose loan deal expired after yesterday's 2-2 draw against Bristol City, will link up with Harry Redknapp's men ahead of their Premier League fixture at Everton on Wednesday.
- Walker made 19 appearances for the R's during his spell in W12.
- Speaking exclusively to www.qpr.co.uk, R's gaffer Neil Warnock said: "He helped us enormously during his time here.
- "We were keen to extend his stay, but they were against it.
- "Maybe I'm being selfish, but I've got my own reservations about Tottenham recalling him.
- "I think he'd be better staying here and getting another 20 odd games under his belt and learning some different aspects of the game, but they've got other ideas.
- "Having said that, I'm pleased we've been able to play a part in Kyle's development and I wish him well for the future." QPR

DAILY MAIL - Aston Villa have made an inquiry for Tottenham's young defender Kyle Walker.

- The 20-year-old right-back has impressed on loan at QPR who were hopeful of keeping him for the rest of the season but Villa manager Gerard Houllier is eager to bring more pace into his defence is keen on a five month deal.
Houllier has a long list of targets but may need to offload before he can buy..."
. Mail

Two Indian Youths: Coming to QPR for Six weeks in September of this year.- The Sports Campus "Rakesh Sakpal & Praful Kumar To Train with Queens Park Rangers for 6 Weeks"

INDIA REPORT -- Two Mumbai school boys to train with QPR
Mumbai, Jan 3 (PTI)
- Two Mumbai schoolboys, Rakesh Sakpal of Colaba Municipal Secondary School and Praful Kumar from Navy Children School, would travel to the Queens Park Rangers club in the UK for a six-week long training stint in September.
- The names of these two boys were released today by MP Milind Deora following his initiative - the South Mumbai Junior Soccer Challenge which took place last month.
- The 30 boys selected after the tournament were trained in a four-day training camp conducted by QPR coaches Stephen Gallen and Paul Bruce at the Western Railway Football Ground before Rakesh and Praful were chosen, a media release said.
- Listing the skills of Rakesh, Gallen said,"He was a good all rounder, with good attitude and good technical ability. The UK coach stressed upon the right attitude and strong fundamentals as the key criteria for selection."
- The shortlisted children will get an opportunity to train with their counterparts at the QPR. If they are good enough they may even get an opportunity to represent the club in the future, according to Gallen.
- On the comparison between English kids and India's, Gallen said,"Technically, the English kids are better. But one of the reasons for that is these kids start their training at a very young age. India Report

[Note: The club never actually announced that Saksena, Bhatia and Gallen and Paul Bruce were over in India. For that see QPR Report: QPR-India Update: Bhatia, Saksena and Gallen in India


Warnock Comments - QPR Official SIte - WARNOCK: 'WE'RE DEVASTATED'

Neil Warnock was - in his own words - 'devastated' after the R's conceded a stoppage time equaliser to draw 2-2 with Bristol City at Loftus Road.

In a match Rangers dominated from start to finish, Warnock's table-toppers were undone by two crucial defensive errors, much to the gaffer's dismay.

"We're devastated, but that's football," he told www.qpr.co.uk.

"Our two centre-halves have gifted them both goals.

"We've given them two goals and it's cost us two points."
Article continues
Warnock pulled no punches as to who should take responsibility, adding: "Gorkss and Hill have made two horrendous mistakes and they'll feel a lot worse than anyone tonight.

"It's life or death at the end and if you've got a man to mark, you've got to mark them - it's as simple as that.

"They got out of jail though and I can honestly say I've never seen a more one-sided 2-2 draw."

Warnock added: "If it had been a boxing match they'd have stopped it after two rounds.

"Give them credit though. They held on with their finger-nails and somehow got a point.

"I thought it was the most one-sided match we've had all season against a good side.

"We did everything right apart from two crucial mistakes and its cost us big time.

"The performance was fantastic though. "I thought we were absolutely superb today."

New signing Petter Vaagan-Moen entered the fray late on for his first appearance since joining the Club and Warnock revealed he hopes to add to his squad before the transfer window slams shut at the end of the month.

"There's always room for improvement," he said.

"I'm sure we'll bring one or two lads in - after today, they'll probably be defenders!"

BBC - Neil Warnock lambasts QPR after draw with Bristol City
Warnock was not happy with his side's defending against City
QPR boss Neil Warnock blamed "schoolboy defending" for the late goal that earned Bristol City a 2-2 draw.

The point moved QPR five points clear at the top of the Championship table, but Warnock said: "After the effort we put in, that was a disgrace.

"Clint [Hill] still doesn't know what he was doing for the first goal and Kaspars Gorkss was five yards away from the player who scored the second.

"If my son had done the same thing I'd have given him a rollicking."

Steven Caulker was City's hero with the stoppage-time leveller, nodding in Jamal Campbell-Ryce's cross.

Brett Pitman had put the Robins in front on 50 minutes only for Alejandro Faurlin to restore parity.

It looked as though Adel Taarabt's 85th-minute penalty would earn QPR another precious victory but it was not to be.

A very disappointing result, with two points certainly dropped today

"City are not a bad side but I thought we were superb," added Warnock. "They were hanging on by their fingernails and we helped them with a few misses.

"And then we made two schoolboy errors at the back which is unlike us this season."

City boss Keith Millen, however, felt Caulker's late intervention was no more than his side deserved, saying: "I think we deserved it, if only for the work-rate, commitment and desire to defend.

"It would have been harsh not to come away with something even though QPR bossed the game in open play."

GUARDIAN/Paul Doyle - Bristol City grab a point but QPR get away with being wasteful

Sometimes the wealthy can afford to be wasteful. The billionaire-backed Queens Park Rangers frittered away an extravagant number of chances here and then conceded a late equaliser, yet still they extended their lead at the top of the Championship to five points.

Rangers lorded if over the visitors from the start but the most telling trend emerged in the 10th minute, when Rob Hulse headed over from eight yards after a fine cross from the left by Tommy Smith. Hulse would go on to be the most prolific culprit as the home side continually spurned opportunities forged through otherwise fine play. Hulse did, at least, hit the target with a header in the 21st minute after another inviting delivery from Smith, but the former England goalkeeper David James showed that his reflexes remain sharp as he turned it away.

As so often this season, Adel Taarabt was the home side's chief conjurer, constantly creating on either flank and, if Tottenham Hotspur had not sold him to QPR in the summer, Harry Redknapp, who was among the spectators at Loftus Road, might not now feel the need to pursue David Beckham.

Whereas wayward finishing was the reason QPR were not in front at the break, a blunder at the back was responsible for them falling behind early in the second half. Clint Hill attempted to head a harmless long ball back to his keeper but instead ballooned it straight into the path of the Bristol City striker Brett Pitman. Pitman likewise had been guilty of a bad miss earlier in the game – City's only previous chance – but this time he proved his predatory skill by volleying deftly past Paddy Kenny to claim his eighth goal in eight games.

It took only three minutes for Rangers to equalise and, inevitably, Taarabt was the inspiration, dancing past Marvin Elliott on the byline before pulling the ball back for Alejandro Faurlin to produce the sort of finish that had eluded his team‑mates.

Valiant last-ditch defending by Bristol City as well as another series of sloppy misses, including two more from Hulse, preserved parity until Elliott was harshly adjudged to have held down Hulse and Taarabt converted the ensuing penalty.

To the annoyance of Neil Warnock, and the credit of the visitors, City came back to salvage a point. After Kenny pushed a delicious Jamal Campbell-Ryce shot behind, Steven Caulker was left unmarked from the corner and headed powerfully into the net. Smith could still have secured a victory for Rangers but blazed over from close range in stoppage time.

"You can't disguise that the goals we conceded were a bloody disgrace," said Warnock, who nevertheless professed to be unconcerned by the fact that victories are not coming to his team as readily as they did earlier in the campaign.

"Overall that's probably as good as I've seen us play for a few months – we were absolutely superb. I'm frustrated by the result but generally I've never been in charge of a team that plays like this and I'm just really excited."


Neil Trainis 8:10PM GMT 03 Jan 2011

An anticipated sprint to the Championship title has become a limp. Queens Park Rangers still hold a five-point lead but that has more to do with the erratic nature of their rivals rather than the power of their play, after Steven Caulker’s late header denied the leaders all three points.

Supporters drooling at the prospect of a return to the Premier League are soothed by a convoluted division which continues to spare them. On an afternoon when Bristol City spoiled the party, Swansea, Burnley and Norwich all failed to win and Leeds United similarly have a tendency to falter.

QPR manager Neil Warnock did not give the impression he is immune to the pressures of satisfying expectant owners who demand top-flight football, in the wake of a seventh point garnered from a possible 18. When asked if he felt his position might be under threat should his side fail to win promotion his reply was curt: “It begins with b and ends in s. You can write what you want.”

Warnock, who revealed he hopes to extend Kyle Walker’s loan from Tottenham, spread his fury to footballers who failed to meet his expectations. In the 50th minute Clint Hill made a hash of clearing a routine long ball and presented Brett Pitman with the ball. The forward beat Paddy Kenny convincingly.

Even after QPR had hauled themselves into the lead they crumbled again. In stoppage time Caulker headed in when Kaspars Gorkss was supposed to challenge.

“We were absolutely superb but we made two schoolboy errors,” Warnock said. “The goals were a disgrace at any level, never mind Championship level.

“I’m frustrated but I’ve never been in charge of a team who play like this. I’ve never seen a one-sided game like this in my life.”

Such an appraisal was backed up by statistics which saw the hosts enjoy 56 per cent of possession and force nine corners to Bristol City’s three. But it was a little harsh on the obdurate visitors, who defended manfully and, like QPR, had six shots on target.

Adel Taarabt was at the heart of QPR’s thrusts forward but it said much about the bluntness of their attack that goalkeeper David James was not seriously extended in the first half.

“We deserved to draw with our work-rate, commitment and desire to defend,” said Bristol City manager Keith Millen.

Tommy Smith was a useful outlet on the left, on the day he committed his future to QPR with a 2½-year contract. On three occasions he created headed chances for Rob Hulse but each time the forward failed to convert.

Accusations that QPR look too often to Taarabt to incite adventure in their play were bolstered, even if he is capable of inflicting damage.

Bristol City attempted to smother him but suffered after allowing him a yard of space moments after taking the lead. Kalifa Cissé dared not touch him in the box and Taarabt jinked to the byline with magnetic control before picking out Alejandro Faurlin, who steered in an equaliser.

QPR are not the swaggering juggernaut some believe them to be. Bradley Orr might have thought he was still employed by Bristol City when his kamikaze cross-field pass found Albert Adomah, who sped towards the box before slipping.

A once-miserly QPR now open up with an unsettling consistency. They appeared to have won when Taarabt converted a penalty after Hulse was judged to have been held by Marvin Elliott.

But as the match entered stoppage time, and with QPR supporters sensing victory, Caulker rose to head in Jamal Campbell-Ryce’s corner.

Match details

QPR (4-2-3-1): Kenny; Orr, Gorkss, Hill, Walker; Derry, Faurlin; Mackie, Taarabt (Moen 87), Smith; Hulse.
Subs: Cerny (g), Clarke, Rowlands, Agyemang, Borrowdale, German.
Bookings: Orr.
Bristol City (4-4-2): James; Skuse, Caulker, Cissé, Nyatanga; Adomah (Haynes 73), Johnson (Stewart 88), Elliott, Campbell-Ryce; Stead (Clarkson 66), Pitman.
Subs: Gerken (g), Sproule, Ribeiro, Edwards.
Bookings: Elliott, Pitman, Caulker.
Referee: F Graham (Essex). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/8237727/Queens-Park-Rangers-2-Bristol-City-2-match-report.html

QPR Official SiteQPR were forced to accept a share of the spoils, after Bristol City grabbed a last-gasp leveller in a 2-2 draw at Loftus Road.

The result was harsh on Neil Warnock's charges, who looked to have snatched all three points in the 85th minute when Adel Taarabt struck from the penalty spot.

But the Robins bounced back in spirited fashion and, after Jamal Campbell-Ryce's teasing corner was met by the head of Stephen Caulker, the midfield man rose highest to nod the visitors level in the dying seconds.

Earlier on, City took an early second-half lead courtesy of Brett Pitman, who capitalised on a mistake by Clint Hill to fire the Robins in front.

And Faurlin drew the R's level on 53 minutes, following Taarabt's pinpoint centre.

QPR made three changes for the visit of Keith Millen's Robins.

Bradley Orr replaced Matt Connolly (suspended), while Tommy Smith and Rob Hulse came in for Leon Clarke and Heidar Helguson respectively.

Paddy Kenny was in goal for the R's.

Orr, Hill, Kaspars Gorkss and Kyle Walker made up QPR's back four.

Shaun Derry and Faurlin were in defensive midfield, behind the attacking trio of Jamie Mackie,Taarabt and Smith.

Hulse led Rangers' attack.

Both sides went into this one on the back of indifferent results.

Top-of-the-table QPR, of course, suffered a 1-0 defeat at fellow high-fliers Norwich City, thanks to Russell Martin's ninth-minute strike.

The Robins, on the other hand, enjoyed a fantastic 3-0 win over promotion-chasing Cardiff City on New Year's Day.

But, with the Championship's strongest home record, Rangers were intent on cementing their place at the top of the league.

That proved to be the case in the early stages, as both sides battled for supremacy.

Taarabt was unlucky not to do better with an effort on five minutes, after seeing his smashed shot whistle just past the left-hand upright.

The R's should have been in front on 10 minutes.

Taarabt exchanged passes with Smith and, when the latter's in-swinging centre found the head of Hulse, he could only guide his header over the bar.

Moments later, Mackie went close with fizzed effort that went just wide of the left-hand post, after Taarabt's beautiful back-flick.

The R's were playing some exhibition stuff, with David James soon forced into quite stunning save to keep City level.

Clint Hill's pinpoint long pass found Smith out wide on the left and, when his cross was met by the head of Hulse, James dived to his left to tip the ball away from goal.

QPR were edging ever closer to the opening goal of the afternoon.

Smith played a clever, quick free-kick to Taarabt on 36 minutes, who fired an effort inches wide of James' left-hand post.

It took the visitors some 41 minutes to fashion their first real attempt on target - and with it they almost snatched the lead.

Following a free-flowing move, Pitman forced a fine save from Kenny, whose low shot had the keeper diving to his left before he gathered the ball at the second attempt.

The R's could - and probably should - have gone in at the break a goal to the good after Mackie beat one man down the right before crossing on to the head of Hulse, who could only nod an effort over the bar from close range.

And QPR were made to pay for their inability to take a whole host of first-half opportunities when, just five minutes after the interval, City opened the scoring.

Hill failed to deal with a high ball from deep and, when his misguided clearance left Pitman one-on-one with Kenny, he made no mistake to drill a low effort past the R's keeper from 12-yards out.

But Rangers are made of strong stuff this term - and so it proved when they levelled matters only three minutes later.

Mackie's teasing centre evaded everybody in the box, before Taarabt was first to retrieve the loose ball out wide on the left.

The rest was pure genius from Taarabt, who moved across to the byline before picking out Faurlin with a lovely centre.

Faurlin couldn't miss, as he stroked the ball home into the back of the net from all of six-yards out.

Dominant in terms of territorial possession, QPR now had the Robins camped in their own half.

Smith's sweeping cross found Hulse, before the R's attacker's glancing header went just inches wide of the bottom left-hand post.

The R's constant pressure was rewarded on 85 minutes, after Marvin Elliott was adjudged to have tugged back Hulse, following a ball from deep.

Taarabt was coolness personified with the resultant kick, as he stroked the ball into the bottom right-hand corner of the net to give QPR what looked to be the decisive goal.

But Rangers rode their luck following Taarabt's strike, with Kenny forced into a splendid save from Campbell-Ryce to preserve the R's lead.

And he was powerless to prevent City's next attempt, as the visitors stole a point in time added on.

Campbell-Ryce's cross from a corner on the left was of perfection, as Caulker out-jumped his marker nod home from close range.

QPR almost snatched a late, late winner.

Substitute Petter Vaagen Moen's looping centre was nodded on by Hulse to Smith, before the front-man fired agonisingly over the bar from six-yards out.

QPR: Kenny, Orr, Hill, Derry, Taarabt (Vaagen Moen 87), Faurlin, Mackie, Gorkss, Walker, Hulse, Smith.

Subs: Cerny, Clarke, Rowlands, Agyemang, Borrowdale, German.

Goals: Faurlin (53), Taarabt (pen 85)

Bookings: Orr (26)

Bristol City: James, Elliott, Johnson (Stewart 88), Skuse, Campbell-Ryce, Cisse, Nyatanga, Adomah (Haynes 74), Stead (Clarkson 66), Pitman, Caulker.

Subs: Gerken, Sproule, Ribeiro, Edwards.

Goals: Pitman (50), Caulker (90)

Bookings: Johnson (84)

Referee: Mr F Graham

Attendance: 15, 618



QPR 2-2 Bristol City
James Healey reports from Loftus Road

A late-headed goal from Steven Caulker earned City a point at table topping QPR.

Brett Pitman had earlier scored his eighth goal in eight games before goals from Alejandro Taurlin and a dubious penalty by Adel Taarabt seemed to have given the home side all three points.

Marvin Elliott and Cole Skuse were declared fit despite picking up knocks in the recent 3-0 victory over Cardiff City, which meant City kept the same starting eleven.
Article continues

The game started with a quick tempo and the home side were the first to create a real chance.

Neat work on the QPR left saw the ball land at Tommy Smith's feet, he wasted no time in whipping in a cross on to the head of Rob Hulse, but the former Derby could only head over from ten yards.

The R's had the ball in the net after 18 minutes only for the referees assistant to flag Jamie Mackie offside.

Rangers pushed for the opener but City had David James to thank for keeping the scores level after 20 minutes.

Hulse again met a Smith cross with his head but his effort was well saved by James from close range.

City's first real chance came after 40 minutes when good link up play between Johnson, Elliott and Adomah saw the former Barnet winger pass through to the waiting Pitman. The on form striker fired his shot straight at Kenny in the Rangers goal.

Within five minutes of the restart City took the lead. A Clint Hill back header was pounced on by Pitman, who made no mistake in slotting past Kenny.

Within two minutes the home side drew level. Good work by the tricky Taarabt on the by line saw him pull the ball back to an on rushing Faurlin. The Argentinean calmly placed his effort into the bottom corner through a crowd of players.

City made their first substitution of the afternoon after 66 minutes, with David Clarkson replacing fellow front man Jon Stead, which was closely followed by Danny Haynes replacing Albert Adomah.

The home side were throwing everything at City but vital blocks by Cisse, Caulketr and Nyatanga kept City in the game.

With less than ten minutes remaining referee Mr Graham gave a baffling penalty to the home side.

Lee Johnson seemed to have been fouled on the edge of the area, and with the whistle put to his lips to blow the referee then changed his mind to wave play on.

From the resulting pass into the box referee Graham deemed Marvin Elliott had held Hulse and pointed at the spot. Taarabt made no mistake in scoring from 12 yards, sending James the wrong way.

With the fourth official holding up four minutes of added on time Jamal Campbell-Ryce nearly equaliesed but Kenny pulled of a remarkable save.

From the resulting corner City pulled levelled. A Campbell-Ryce corner from the right was met perfectly by the towering Caulker who powered his header home from six yards.

With seconds remaining Smith should have claimed all three points but somehow managed to fire over from 2 yards.
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10327~53234,00.html Re

- Birthday for Andy McCulloch
- Enlarged Photo of Andy McCulloch

- Three Year Flashback: Pat Agyemang Joins ona 4 1/2 Year Deal
- Dennis Signy Update (as of Ten Days Ago)

- QPR's Last FA Cup Win - about Ten Managers Ago: Match Report! (41 Years Ago Today, QPR crushed South Shields!)

- Two New Books About Bernie Ecclestone

- Enlarged Photo

Blog Archive