QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, May 07, 2012

QPR Report Monday: Stoke Reports, Comments and Photos...One Year Ago Today: QPR Promoted as FA Issues Its "Faurlingate" Verdict...Next: Manchester City

50+ Additional Photos from QPR vs Stoke



Aston Villa 37 38
QPR 37 37
Wigan 36 37
Bolton 37 35
Blackburn 36 31
Wolves 37 25


Mark Hughes heaped praise on his QPR side for beating Stoke City 1-0 at Loftus Road, but the R's gaffer insists there is still work to be done.

Victory - and Bolton's 2-2 draw at home to West Brom - ensured Rangers head into the final game of the season at title-chasing Manchester City with their fate in their own hands.

The R's lie two points clear of the Trotters, who occupy the final relegation berth, with the R's also enjoying a nine goal buffer.

Speaking exclusively to www.qpr.co.uk, Hughes said: "It would be unbelievable to go to Manchester City and get a result.

"We haven't covered ourselves in glory this year on the road, but what better time to turn it around?

"There will be a huge amount of expectation on the game with them going for the title, but we'll give it our best shot.

"It's unbelievable what this league throws up time and again, but it's in our hands and that's all we can ask for.

"Obviously results elsewhere could help us out, but we want to go and make it happen ourselves.

"My focus is totally on what we do - I get the feeling we'll be a lot better than we were at Chelsea last week."

Djibril Cisse was the hero of the hour against Stoke, coming off the bench to notch the all-important winner in the 89th minute.

Hughes added: "We've had some great performances and results in the last few weeks at home, but although we weren't at our best today, we got the job done.

"We didn't give the fans too much to shout about to be honest, but the noise when Cisse's winner went in it was something else.

"If you wanted that ball to fall to anyone in the box it would be Djib.

"That's what he does best. He's always in the right place, at the right time and today he deserves a lot of credit, because that chance was a lot more difficult than it looked.

"He was disappointed not to start today, but I thought it was important we kept the same shape that had served us well here in previous weeks.

"It was always my intention to bring him on and thankfully he came on, was ready and made the impact.

"It was a moment people here will remember for a long time to come."

Hughes added: "I don't think Paddy had a shot to save to be honest.

"We defended very well, kept plugging away and thankfully got our reward."

West London Sport/David McIntyre

Relieved Hughes salutes Cisse after dramatic Rangers victory

QPR manager Mark Hughes saluted Djibril Cisse after the striker’s dramatic late winner against Stoke left his team on the verge of Premier League survival.

Hughes’ side appeared to be heading to the Championship but Cisse’s last-minute goal – and West Brom’s comeback against Bolton – means a point against Manchester City next weekend will keep Rangers in the top flight.

Bolton, who drew 2-2 after being two up, must now beat Stoke to have any chance of saving themselves and sending the R’s or Wigan down.

Hughes declared: “I’m delighted for Djibril. It’s been a little bit stop-start for him. He’s made an impact in terms of scoring but the reverse side is that he has missed a number of games [through suspension] and that has hurt us.

“If there’s one guy you’d want to be in that situation, waiting to get on the end of a chance, it’s him. He’s an outstanding finisher.

“The goal was more difficult than it appeared. The fact he dispatched it so nonchalantly shouldn’t detract from how difficult it was, but it’s food and drink to him.”

Cisse, left out of the starting line-up, was brought on as Rangers were struggling to create chances in a match they desperately needed to win.

Hughes explained: “I could have started with him but Stoke are a big, strong and powerful side, and we had to keep protection in other areas. It was always my intention to bring him on at some stage.”

The result leaves Hughes in a position where he could not only keep his team up but also determine the fate of two of his former clubs.

But the Welshman, who made his name as a player at Manchester United and was sacked as City boss, admitted he was simply pleased that Rangers’ destiny is still in their own hands.

He said: “We left it late. It wasn’t a great game and we’ve played much better, but the momentum we generated in recent home games was difficult to replicate.

“You hope something will happen and thankfully it did. Things have happened, stars have aligned, and things have fallen on our side of the line. We’re grateful for that.

“We cut it a little bit fine, but we’ll take it any time of the day. Our fate is in our own hands and it would be a fantastic story if we can go to City and get something.” West London Sport

WEST LONDON SPORT/Dave McIntyre - Cisse brings Rangers back from the brink

Djibril Cisse’s dramatic late winner – and West Brom’s fightback against Bolton – took QPR from the brink of relegation to the verge of Premier League survival.

Rangers had one foot in the Championship before Adel Taarabt’s 89th-minute corner was flicked on by Anton Ferdinand towards Cisse, who fired home at the far post.

And an equaliser for Albion, who had trailed 2-0, means a point at title-chasing Manchester City on the final day of the season will ensure the R’s stay up.

Bolton must now win at Stoke next weekend to have any chance of saving themselves and sending QPR or Wigan down.

The picture looked bleak for Rangers at half-time. They were struggling to create chances, while Bolton were ahead in their game.

Joey Barton shot into the side-netting from an awkward angle after Stoke keeper Thomas Sorensen had pushed away Taarabt’s long range free-kick.

And when Bobby Zamora found space on the right, his cross asked a lot of Barton, who could only head straight at Sorensen.

In fact it was the visitors who created the best opportunity of the opening 45 minutes.

Former R’s favourite Peter Crouch easily beat Clint Hill in the air and nodded down for Cameron Jerome, who blazed over.

Ricardo Fuller also went close to scoring for Stoke when he curled an effort narrowly wide a couple of minutes after the interval.

It prompted boss Hughes, who started with Zamora as a lone striker, to make a change, and striker Cisse replaced the ineffective Akos Buzsaky.

It nevertheless took until the 77th minute for Rangers to create their next real opening.

They were denied by a superb save from Sorensen, who dived to his left to keep out Cisse’s header from Taye Taiwo’s left-wing cross.

But Cisse’s goal – his fifth in seven matches since arriving from Lazio – sent Loftus Road into a state of pandemonium and could prove to be decisive in the battle to escape the drop.


 GUARDIAN/Russell Kempson -  Djibril Cissé's late poke against Stoke City keeps QPR's hopes alive

The Queens Park Rangers' striker Djibril Cissé celebrates scoring the winner against Stoke City at Loftus Road. Photograph: Glyn Kirk/AFP/Getty Images
Djibril Cissé has twice been the villain since joining Queens Park Rangers from Lazio in January, the hot-tempered Frenchman having been sent off on two occasions in no time at all as his new club plummeted towards the depths of the Premier League.

On Sunday, he was the reformed hero, rescuing QPR from a dreaded fate – probable relegation to the Championship – with an 89th-minute winner against Stoke City. With Rangers labouring towards a goalless draw at Loftus Road and Bolton Wanderers leading West Bromwich Albion 2-1 at the Reebook, the west London club were languishing in the Premier League pit. And with no prospect of getting out either, bearing in mind their trip to face the champions-elect Manchester City on the final day of the season next Sunday. It is QPR, after all, who have the worst away record in the top flight.

Then, suddenly, all change. Cissé, an early second-half substitute, poked in from close range, after Anton Ferdinand had nodded on Adel Taarabt's corner, to send the doom-mongers among the home fans – most of the 17,319 crowd – into a frenzy. When news of West Bromwich's late equaliser from James Morrison filtered through, there was bedlam. QPR were out of the pit and one point at the Etihad – albeit a target that, if achieved, would border on the miraculous – will see them safe. Even a defeat, as City are crowned champions, might not matter as the frantic jostling of the clubs below them unravels. From the apparently down-and-out position of Sunday, QPR are just relieved to be able to fight another day.

"Bringing on Djibril was part of my cunning plan," Mark Hughes, the QPR and former Manchester City manager, said. "It's been a bit stop-start for him but when he has been on the pitch, he's always been involved in our key moments.

"He's just the guy you wanted on the end of that chance. It's food and drink for him and thankfully he converted it. It was great for us, we left it late and it wasn't a great game – the momentum we have been able to create in recent weeks was hard to replicate.

"A draw for us would not have been enough and I'm just grateful that when we go to City, at least our fate is in our own hands. Maybe it's also a little bit fated that I'm going there on the final day. If we were to get something, it would be a fantastic story. We know it will be difficult but we still have that opportunity to do it ourselves."

QPR were nervous throughout in a mish‑mash of a display. They might have won their previous four home games – against the distinguished likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Swansea City and Tottenham Hotspur – but they had few ideas of how to break down Stoke's stubborn defence.

Taarabt did what he does best, hog the ball, but his selfishness knew no bounds as time and again, in attempting shots on goal, he ignored better-placed team-mates.

At the time of their 3-2 victory at Stoke in November, QPR sat ninth in the league. But their slide has taken root on the back of an appalling disciplinary record – eight red cards, six of them at Loftus Road – and has barely been arrested since the arrival of Hughes to replace Neil Warnock in January. In total, QPR have played with 10 men this season for almost five‑and‑a‑half hours. It is a damning statistic.

If on their best behaviour this time, there was little else to commend them. Stoke carved out numerous chances only to fall short with their finishing.

"We didn't deserve to lose," Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, said. "When we got in good positions, we just couldn't hit the target."

Joey Barton, the QPR captain, manfully tried to inspire his players as everything appeared to be crumbling around him yet, ultimately, he succeeded. "The atmosphere was electric, it gives us such momentum," he said. "A lot of people wrote us off 10 or 15 games ago. But we've kept compact, kept chipping away and we are still the masters of our own destiny. It's a massive game for not only City but us as well."

Cissé had already seen a goal-bound header magnificently clawed away by Thomas Sorensen, the Stoke goalkeeper, as his side mounted attack after attack. The clock was ticking down, the natives were not just restless but apoplectic, the Championship beckoned. But Cissé, so often the rebel, showed the more acceptable side of his nature. The bad boy, at last, done good.



Djibril Cisse scored two minutes from time to drag QPR from the canvas and record a hugely important win that could well secure the club's Premier League status.
Rangers limped through the vast majority of this match and looked set to slip back into the relegation zone, but Cisse stepped off the bench to tap home at the back post after 88 minutes to set the stands at Loftus Road rocking.
Rangers recorded a remarkable 3-2 victory over Liverpool in March with a last minute winner but this result will live much longer in the memory of Rangers fans for its huge significance.
Thanks to West Brom's late comeback to draw 2-2 at Bolton, QPR are now two points above the relegation zone ahead of next weekend's season finale at Manchester City.
A draw at City will be enough to see Rangers survive, although even if they fail to achieve such a difficult task, Bolton will have to win at Stoke to survive.

Rangers fans swamped the pitch after the game in celebration at knowing their team are nearer to survival, but for most of the 90 minutes they barracked their team, who were pitiful performers.
There was no spark in midfield, little threat up front and there were also shaky moments at the back. And all this coming against a Potters team whose season is 55 matches and 10 months old.
Yet, it did not matter in the end for the fans and a jubilant Tony Fernandes thanks to Cisse, who stole in at the back post to convert Anton Ferdinand's flick-on and secure the three points.
Stoke looked the stronger side early on. Despite hitting out at manager Tony Pulis in midweek, Cameron Jerome started in a Stoke team that contained four strikers.
The former Cardiff striker spectacularly failed to reward his manager early on, however, when he latched on to Peter Crouch's knock-down to volley over from 10 yards.
Adel Taarabt proved to be QPR's most lively performer. The Moroccan dazzled the Potters defence with his trickery and also stung Thomas Sorensen's palms with a powerful 25-yard free-kick.
Crouch got on the end of Rory Delap's long throw but Rangers' defence scrambled clear.
The home crowd urged their team on after news of Martin Petrov's opener for Bolton filtered through to Loftus Road, but they failed to respond.
The scrappy play from both teams continued and Barton's weak curler was the only other effort of note inside the first 35 minutes.
Bobby Zamora dispossessed Upson, charged down the right and crossed perfectly for Barton but he nodded straight at Sorensen.
Stoke almost grabbed the lead on two occasions just after the break. Crouch miscued a free header and Ricardo Fuller curled a wicked shot that flew just wide.
The home fans demanded Cisse's introduction and it came after 55 minutes at the expense of Akos Buzsaky.

There was little urgency about Rangers despite the fact they knew they had to win and the home crowd started to get nervous.
Barton threw himself into the path of Huth's volley as Stoke continued to threaten, but QPR earned a good opportunity in the 68th minute when Upson toppled Zamora on the edge of the box.
Taye Taiwo could only drive into the wall, however - his tame shot summing up the hosts' limp performance.
At the other end Paddy Kenny punched the ball away to deny Fuller a free header from eight yards.
The away fans sang "2-0 Bolton, 2-0 Bolton" as it emerged the Trotters had added a second and QPR almost responded to the taunt by taking the lead.
Taiwo crossed brilliantly for Cisse, but Sorensen scrambled across his goal-line to deny the Frenchman.
Hughes threw on Jay Bothroyd and Shaun Wright-Phillips at the death to add some extra impetus and the move worked.
Wright-Phillips' shot deflected wide, leading to a QPR corner. Taarabt's cross was nodded on by Ferdinand and up popped Cisse to stab home from close range to send the home crowd into ecstasy.
Crouch missed a chance to grab an equaliser in the four minutes of added time as QPR held on for a valuable win which was followed by a huge pitch invasion.
News of two late goals at Bolton lifted spirits further and the players came back on to the pitch after the final whistle to salute their jubilant and relieved support.  Telegraph

INDEPENDENT - JACK PITT-BROOKE  - Hughes thanks lucky stars after remarkable victory

The first roar was the loudest. When Djibril Cissé turned Anton Ferdinand's last-minute flick in at the far post, winning the game, the crowd erupted. The second wave of noise, a minute later, marking James Morrison's equaliser at the Reebok Stadium, was nearly as powerful. Then the third, on the final whistle, propelled thousands of joyous Rangers fans on to the pitch.

Invasions like this in the Premier League are rare. But this was one of the most remarkable 10-minute turnarounds of the season. Rangers, somehow, finished the day two points clear of Bolton Wanderers. Mark Hughes' side's future is in their own hands now. More importantly, though, they might not need to win, or even draw, at Manchester City next Sunday to survive.

This is a rather good position for QPR to be in, but especially so given how the afternoon developed. For 89 minutes they were very poor, devoid of any plan of how to score a goal. And as they aimlessly threw themselves up against Stoke City's brick wall, Bolton scored one and then another at home against West Bromwich Albion.

Going into the final minutes here, it looked as if Rangers would end the day two points behind Bolton. That would have demanded that they win at the Etihad Stadium as a minimum requirement. Given that City are unbeaten at home in the league this year, and are one win away from the title, while Rangers have the league's worst away record, the chance would have been a rather remote one.

"Things seemed to have happened and stars have aligned, and things have fallen our side of the line and we're thankful for that," a relieved Hughes admitted afterwards. "The fact that with one game left we still have our fate in our hands is something we're grateful for."

The nervousness which coloured the whole afternoon at Loftus Road could have been much worse. After just four minutes Stoke City made and missed their only good chance of the game. Peter Crouch, their willing lonely target, flicked the ball on to Cameron Jerome, who stabbed the ball over from six yards out.

Even without going behind early, the fear was afflicting enough. The Rangers fans reacted to every one of Andre Marriner's decisions, no matter how trivial, with desperate anxiety. The players never looked comfortable on the ball, or confident in one another.

"It wasn't a great game," Hughes said, with some understatement. "We have played much better, but the momentum of recent weeks was difficult to replicate. We needed momentum to get the ball down and play and create that ourselves. Towards the end we got a little bit anxious, knocking longer balls trying to make something happen."

There will not be many worse half-hours of football than the first one here. For too much of this season Rangers have been an assortment of individuals, with none of the common bonds of trust and understanding which make a team. Even in the 37th league game of the season, this was evident. Rangers' only real route to goal was through Adel Taarabt, who won a free-kick for himself, and had it palmed round the post by Thomas Sorensen.

Before the interval Joey Barton headed straight at Sorensen, but that was that in a poor first half. The fans were desperate to see Djibril Cissé at half-time, but had to wait five more minutes before he replaced Akos Buzsaky.

Hughes moved to a 4-2-4 but for all the attacking intent there was none of the craft needed to unpick a massed defence. Taye Taiwo hammered a free-kick into the wall, Taarabt had some shots deflected behind and Cissé, just starting to threaten, had a header saved by Sorensen.

Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jay Bothroyd were the next ones thrown on. West Bromwich had pulled a goal back. Wright-Phillips had a shot go behind for a corner. Taarabt took it, Ferdinand flicked it and Cissé finished, prompting that first wave of noise.

"They still showed belief, they still showed qualities," Hughes said. "They kept believing, that belief has to be there, and each and every one of them demonstrated that."

Match facts



Scorer. QPR: Cissé 89.

Substitutes: Queen's Park Rangers Cissé 7 (Buzsaky, 50), Wright-Phillips (Derry, 81), Bothroyd (Zamora, 81). Stoke City Shotton 6 (Wilson, h-t), Whitehead (Fuller, 78), Jones (Jerome, 78).

Booked None.

Man of the match Cissé. Match rating 6/10.

Possession: QPR 53% Stoke 47%.

Attempts on target: QPR 12 Stoke 1.

Referee A Marriner (West Midlands). INDPENDENT


STOKE CITY'S hopes of finishing in the top half of the Barclays Premier League were hit by a late winner from Djibril Cisse as Queens Park Rangers claimed the victory which could secure their top-flight status.

Cisse pounced in the 88th minute to break City's resistance when they appeared to be on course to secure their sixth draw in nine matches at Loftus Road, a victory which lifted them out of the Premier League's relegation zone.

The Potters were left to rue missed chance earlier in the game, most notably when Cameron Jerome was through on goal in the third minute but lifted his shot over the bar, while Ricardo Fuller also went close on two occasions.

The defeat leaves City on 44 points in 14th position and means they can now only equal their best Premier League points tally.

Pulis had opted for attacking formation with both Jerome and Fuller in his line-up and it was clear from the outset that both players were going to occupy wide positions.

Wilson began the game in the right back position and was immediately called upon to make a vital clearance when Mackie advanced down the right and played in a low cross.

It was City who should have gone in front in the third minute when Crouch flicked on a long ball forward and found Jerome bursting into the box.

The striker found himself one-on-one with 'keeper Kenny but lifted his shot over the bar from eight yards out.

The Potters then had the opportunity to break forward again when Taiwo slipped on the greasy surface, allowing Jerome to make headway and earn a corner.

Rangers managed to clear the initial ball into the box, but Shawcross headed down into the path of Delap only for Derry to intervene and complete clearance.

The home side were then awarded a free kick for a foul committed by Wilson and Sorensen was called into action for the first time in the encounter.

The Danish international had to dive low to his right to push away the long range shot from Taarabt which gathered pace off the wet playing surface and Mackie hit the sidenetting with the follow up from a tight angle on the left hand edge of the box.

City had appeals for a penalty waved away when Fuller appeared to be upended as he shaped to shoot at goal after a long throw-in from Delap caused problems for the Rangers defence and Huth headed into the Jamaican striker's path.

It was frustrating therefore that Rangers were awarded a free kick for a similar offence deep in Stoke territory and Sorensen was far from convincing with the way in which he came off his line to punch clear Taarabt's menacing ball into the box.

City were almost punished for a mistake by Upson as his attempt to play the ball back to Sorensen set Zamora away down the right hand side.

The England striker pulled the ball back where Barton made a late burst into the box and met it firmly with his head, but straight at Sorensen.

With the Potters' formation proving to be very effective, they carved out another opening on the break as Walters advanced down the right flank and swung in a cross to Jerome, who appeared to clash heads with Onuoha as he tried to meet it.

The striker was able to resume again after lengthy treatment and was soon involved in the action again with a shot which was blocked by Hill.

City made a change at the start of the second half when Shotton was brought on to replace Wilson who had been a doubt in the lead up to the game.

They made an encouraging start after the break with Fuller featuring prominently with runs down both flanks which led to good opportunities.

In the first instance, his cross was from the left was flicked on by Crouch into the path of Jerome who managed to get his foot to it, but it wasn't a decisive touch.

Then, moments later Fuller embarked upon one of his weaving runs before unleashing a curling shot with the left foot which looked to be heading into the top corner with Kenny unable to get anyway near it, but it flashed past the upright.

It was not surprising in the circumstances, with Bolton winning at this stage, that Rangers turned to Cisse to bolster their attack and he was quickly in the thick of the action with an ambitious long range shot which was charged down.

At the other end, Whelan was well off target with a long range shot after Shotton's rather tame cross to the edge of the box had been half cleared.

Midway through the half, Rangers were awarded a free kick when Upson was adjudged to have fouled Zamora on the edge of the box, but Taiwo had two attempts to try and beat the wall with left foot shots, both of which were blocked.

City were looking threatening on the counter attack and there were a number of times when a better final pass could have opened up Rangers.

Sorensen then pulled off a brilliant reflex save to keep out a header from Cisse after the former Liverpool striker had got his head to a cross from Taiwo, the 'keeper diving low to his left to push it away when it appeared to be creeping in.

With the game moving into the closing stages, Pulis made a double change, sending on Jones and Whitehead in place of Fuller and Jerome.

Likewise, Rangers made two substitutions in their desperate push for a goal with Bothroyd and Wright-Phillips being thrown on in place of Derry and Zamora.

With time running out, Crouch close to giving City the lead with a near post header which flashed past the post from a corner swung in by Whitehead from the right.

But when Rangers themselves earned a corner at the other end, they snatched the lead they so badly needed when Ferdinand flicked on the ball into the box from Barton and Cisse was on hand to tuck the ball away from close range to spark wild celebrations among the relieved Rangers fans.

Their joy was followed by the news that West Brom had snatched an equaliser at Bolton to make their position look even better in the battle to avoid relegation. Stoke

QPR Official Site - MATCH REPORT

Djibril Cisse came from the bench to bag a dramatic last-gasp winner for QPR against Stoke City at Loftus Road.

In a largely unfashionable spectacle, victory appeared to be slipping away from the R's as the contest neared its conclusion.

Cisse had other ideas, however, tapping home from close range in the 89th minute after an Adel Taarabt corner was flicked on by Anton Ferdinand.

The win means that Rangers are now in the driving seat in terms of their fight for survival, with Mark Hughes's charges now two points clear of the drop-zone - and holding a superior goal difference - heading into the final weekend of the Barclays Premier League season.

R's boss Hughes made one change for the visit of the Potters, with Taarabt returning from suspension to replace Cisse.

Samba Diakite, meanwhile, missed out for a second consecutive fixture through illness.

Paddy Kenny was in goal in 4-5-1 formation for the Hoops.

Nedum Onuoha, Ferdinand, Clint Hill and Taye Taiwo lined up defence.

Captain Joey Barton, Shaun Derry and Akos Buzsaky made up a three-man midfield, with Jamie Mackie and Taarabt starting from the flanks.

Bobby Zamora led the Rangers line in attack.

Loftus Road was an understandably tense place come kick-off.

Indeed, the R's faithful knew that victory was imperative in order to boost our survival hopes.

But those nerves weren't helped when former QPR ace Peter Crouch's flick-on put Cameron Jerome in the clear on four minutes.

Fortunately for Rangers, however, Jerome somehow fired over from ten yards.

There was little to choose between the two sides early on, although the R's went close after 12 minutes when Taarabt's stinging low free-kick from distance was spilled by Thomas Sorenson.

Barton reacted first to the loose ball but couldn't capitalise, firing an effort from an acute angle into the side-netting when he could - and perhaps should - have squared to an unmarked Zamora.

Two minutes later, a Rory Delap long throw-in eventually ricocheted into the path of Ryan Shawcross, whose subsequent shot flew over the target.

Chances few and far between but Barton went close for Rangers in the 32nd minute, curling an effort just over after patient build-up play from the hosts.

And the R's skipper was soon in the thick of the action once again.

Some dogged hustling from Zamora saw the forward win possession back for Rangers down the right, before Barton - albeit on the stretch - headed the forward's resultant centre straight Sorensen from close range.

The Potters made a bright start to the second period and were unlucky not to do better with a chance just seconds after the restart.

Ricardo Fuller's centre was nodded on by Crouch, whose touch was just out of the reach of a waiting Cameron Jerome on the penalty spot.

City went within a whisker of taking the lead in the 50th minute, after Fuller dispossessed Taarabt before lashing an effort just inches wide of the upright.

Hughes opted for a change just a minute later, introducing Cisse at the expense of Buzsaky.

Much like the first half, opportunities were few and far between after the break.

The first real chance of note for QPR in the second period arrived on 67 minutes, although Taarabt could only send an effort over the bar after tricking his way past his opponent.

Nine minutes later, the Moroccan playmaker would also fire a deflected effort straight at Sorenson.

But the Stoke custodian had a far less comfortable save to make 13 minutes from time, pulling off a stunning stop to deny substitute Cisse.

Taarabt's cutting pass put Taiwo in the clear down the left and, when the Nigerian full-back's pinpoint centre was met by Cisse, Sorenson flung himself to pull off a fine save.

Rangers made a double switch in the 82nd minute, replacing Zamora - who looked to have taken a knock - and Derry with Jay Bothroyd

The contest looked to be slipping away from the R's until Cisse was hand to ensure late drama.

Ferdinand rose highest to flick on Taarabt's corner from the right, before the French striker stole in at the back post to tap home from all of two yards.

Pandemonium duly swept around the whole of Loftus Road, as Cisse wheeled away and fashioned a trademark summersault in celebration.

QPR: Kenny, Hill, Derry (Wright-Phillips 82), Taarabt, Mackie, Buzsaky (Cisse 51), Barton, Taiwo, Ferdinand, Onuoha, Zamora (Bothroyd 82).

Subs not used: Cerny, Hall, Gabbidon, Traore.

Goals: Cisse (89)

Stoke City: Sorensen, Huth, Whelan, Fuller (Whitehead 78), Wilson (Shotton 46), Shawcross, Walters, Upson, Delap, Crouch, Jerome (Jones 78).

Subs not used: Begovic, Etherington, Woodgate, Palacios.

Referee: Mr A Marriner

Attendance: 17, 319 (902 away)



Dave McIntyre/West London Sport - Hughes: Relegation would not affect QPR’s long-term aims

Mark Hughes has pledged that QPR will become an established Premier League club again – regardless of whether they stay up this season.
Rangers face Stoke on Sunday desperately needing a victory as they battle against relegation, especially as their final match of the campaign is away to title-chasing Manchester City.
But manager Hughes is convinced the R’s will bounce back if they drop down to the Championship.
“All relegation would do is slow down the process,” he said.
“At some point in the future the club will be stronger and will be in a position to be successful over a longer period – but that will be accelerated if we stay up this year.
“If we’re not able to achieve our goal this year then it would be a setback, but it won’t change what will happen at this club.
“There’s no need to think in those terms though. There’s two games to go and it’s still in our own hands.” West London Sport


Huffington Post - Roy Hodgson Joins The Sunday Times Managerial Rich List, With Sir Alex Ferguson In Top Spot

The Huffington Post UK  |  By  
New England manager Roy Hodgson's worth has been estimated at £11m in The Sunday Times' 2012 Rich List.
Hodgson's exit from Liverpool in January 2011, after only 191 days in charge, is believed to have cost the Reds £3m after he had a sack clause inserted into his contract when appointed in July 2010.
Now earning a reported £2.5m per year with England after he penned a four-year deal this week, he is likely to rise up the managerial money ladder next year.
Second in the league to Manchester City, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson however is top of the league when it comes to personal assets. His fortune now stands at £32m.
And Tottenham’s Harry Redknapp, overlooked in favour of Hodgson by the FA for the Three Lions hot seat, sits above Hodgson by one spot with £12m in the bank.
Arsenal’s Arsene Wenger is the highest paid manager in the Premier League, with a salary recently reported to be £7.5m a year, which has seen his fortune rise by £7m to £26m.

1 Sir Alex Ferguson, Manchester United £32m £27m
2 Roy Keane £29m £30m
3 Arsene Wenger, Arsenal £26m £19m
4 Giovanni Trapattoni, Republic of Ireland £20m £20m
5 Roberto Mancini, Manchester City £18m £16m
6 Sven-Göran Eriksson £16m £16m
7 Steve Bruce £14m £11m
8 Harry Redknapp, Tottenham £12m
9 Roy Hodgson, WBA/ England £11m
9= Mark Hughes, Queen’s Park Rangers £11m
11 Martin O’Neill, Sunderland £10m
11= David Moyes, Everton £10m Huffington Post

Blog Archive