QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, June 01, 2012

QPR Report Friday: Aldershot Friendly...Football League Call for Sportsmanship...Four Year Plan Interview...Faurlin Interview...The State of QPR a Decade Ago

-


 See Brilliant QPR History at the Bushman QPR Historical Photo Archives



- Premiership Finances and Wages...Deloitte Annual Report Released...


 - Football League Cup (Milk Cup/Carling Cup) becomes "The Capital One Cup"


- Flashback 11 Years: Article Comparing QPR, Chelsea and Fulham


- Flashback II: 11 Years Ago Several Articles re QPR in Crisis...Proposed QPR-Wimbledon Merger...Birth of QPR1st


- Indys Piece: Remembering our FA Cup Final - and the Build Up!

- Anfield Expanding by Knocking Down Local Houses?

- John Terry Banned for another couple of Games by UEFA!


QPR Pre-Season vs Aldershot

Aldershot Official Site - Shots to play Premiership opposition in pre-season friendly
- Aldershot Town FC are pleased to announce that Premiership side Queens Park Rangers will be at the EBB stadium to play a pre-season friendly on Tuesday, July 24th.
 Rangers, who are managed by former Welsh international Mark Hughes, retained their Premiership status on the very last day of the 2011/12 season and played their part in the dramatic conclusion of the title chase.
QPR were previously at the EBB in 2009, also for a pre-season friendly, a game which they won 4:0
The match will kick-off at 7.45pm  Aldershot


The Football League - CHAIRMEN CALL FOR SPORTSMANSHIP

At their Summer Conference, Football League clubs have voted unanimously to support proposals aimed at encouraging sportsmanship and curbing gamesmanship in matches.

The proposals, which were put forward by Exeter City Chairman Edward Chorlton, have three central themes:

Gamesmanship has no place in our game. Football League matches should be played within a culture of sportsmanship not gamesmanship.

Clubs will undertake to instruct managers, coaches and players accordingly - in particular to discourage actions which bring the game's reputation into disrepute, such as:

a) showing disrespect to match officials; and/or

b) those actions that undermine a sporting culture including diving/simulation, time wasting and feigning injury.

In the first year of this initiative, The League will request that referees support this initiative by taking more robust action, particularly in the following situations:

a) obstructing the quick taking of free-kicks

b) stealing ground at throw-ins.

Football League Chairman Greg Clarke said: "As a collective of clubs we have a responsibility to protect the image and long term health of the game of football.

"In supporting these proposals, League clubs have shown a determination to give a lead in this important area.

"We will now use them as a platform from which to engage with those parties that can help us change our game for the better." http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10421~2794066,00.html


MAIL - Hughes prepares £5m bid for Foster after weighing up Gordon, Gomes and Given

QPR are ready to step up interest in Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster by making a £5million bid.
Manager Mark Hughes had also shown interest in Sunderland's Craig Gordon, Tottenham's Heurelho Gomes and Aston Villa's Shay Given but Foster's form following a strong season on loan at West Bromwich Albion has convinced Hughes he is the right man.
Once Foster is signed, Hughes will allow Paddy Kenny to join Leeds United.  Daily Mail


West London Sport/Dave McIntyr - Faurlin: They thought I wouldn’t be able to play in England


Alejandro Faurlin’s return to action cannot come soon enough – both for the player himself and the QPR fans who hold him in such high esteem.

His immense popularity was underlined by the stick I took last season for suggesting he was seen by some opposing managers as a potential weak link in the Rangers side and might find the going tough in the Premier League.

It didn’t go down well with the many supporters who believe Faurlin is tailor-made for the top flight.

And until the knee injury which ended his campaign in January, he was ever-present and reportedly attracting interest from the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham.

Faurlin, who is about to enter his fourth year at Loftus Road, enjoys the feeling of proving doubters wrong.

Mark Hughes has described Faurlin's absence as "deepy frustrating".

“It’s funny because in football people have opinions and as a professional you accept that,” he says.

“I am used to it because at the beginning there were people who didn’t think I would be a player. Then they said I wouldn’t play in the first team and I did.

“When I came to England some people said to me: ‘England? Never – it’s too fast’ and they thought I wouldn’t be able to play in this country, but I did.

“Then going into the Premier League I did my best and just kept trying to improve as much as possible.

“You can always prove yourself at every level you move up to if you have the quality and the belief in yourself.

“It’s all about hard work and humility. If you believe in yourself and you know what you can do then that is what matters most.”

Faurlin’s time at Rangers has been challenging to put it mildly.

He was admired for the way he handled the furore of an FA investigation into his move to west London.

But even before the events of last spring, he had shown great maturity to settle quickly in a new country - and at a basket-case of a club that simply didn’t do stability.

“I think I’ve grown up a lot in English football I have to say,” he says.

“It’s been tough at times – very tough – but there are also people who helped me.

“First of all there was Jim Magilton, who I must thank a lot. Neil Warnock too. I really hope I can continue improving with Mark Hughes.

FAURLIN FACTS
Joined QPR in 2009
Player of the year in 2010
Has made 101 starts for the club
21 of them last season
Scored in 3-0 win at Wolves

“I just look forward to carrying on working and keep improving myself. It’s what I always try to do.”

Faurlin’s next big challenge is to return for the start of the new season.

He was recently given the green light to step-up his recovery and is hopeful of being able to join his team-mates for full pre-season training.

In the meantime, he will spend most of the summer completing his rehabilitation at Rangers’ Harlington training ground – often with only Kieron Dyer for company.

“Everyone is happy with the way the knee is recovering and now it’s a case of building up the muscle around it,” Faurlin explains.

“It will mean a lot to me to play again because the last few months have been difficult, but I keep smiling because you must always enjoy your life.

“It’s really frustrating because we worked so hard to be promoted and have the chance to play in the Premier League, and then I couldn’t play for six months.

“But now, thanks to the guys, we have stayed up and I will have that chance again, which is fantastic.

“I don’t care about holidays. I just want to stay here and make sure I do everything I need to do to get back.

“All I care about is the games – being in the dressing room, being with the other guys. I really look forward to it because I miss it. I really, really miss it.” West London Sport


ootball Film Festival

« Thierry Henry documentary, Gringos at the Gate highlight K+S New York 2012 film lineup, June 27-30 | Main
Five questions with Mat Hodgson, director of "The Four-Year Plan"

6a01310f90b709970c016766a9d0a2970b-200wiWhen billionaire owners purchased the history-rich but talent-poor English club Queens Park Rangers, they gave themselves four years to reach the Premier League. Mat Hodgson's film, The Four Year Plan, chronicles the journey. The documentary bounces from the boardroom -- where QPR's leadership clashes with one another and fires coaches on a whim -- to the field and locker room as the team attempts to return to the world's richest soccer league.

The Four Year Plan screens at Kicking + Screening Film Festival - New York on Friday, June 29, as part of Night 3 along with Meister vs. Meister and L’equipe petit. (BUY TICKETS)

Hodgson spoke with K+S about the road to the EPL, the incredible cast of characters in the QPR boardroom, and the epic end to QPR's 2011-2012 season.

Why did you choose to film QPR?

It wasn't me that originally approached QPR. However, when the story broke that QPR had been bought by billionaires it was clearly going to be a great journey and therefore lend itself hopefully to good documentary.

I knew the angle to take would be on the boardroom as that's where the club had something different, dynamic and exciting. They were the story.

You get incredible access to the QPR braintrust. Was there anything you wanted to see/film that you couldn't?

Access was so key and I worked hard at everyone feeling comfortable with me around. I think the board deserve huge credit for opening their doors to me. No documentarymaker is ever likely to be 100% happy that they got everything. We saturated filming but still some events we didnt cover or were restricted. I imagine that is pretty normal though? I think all things considered we can't really complain too much with what we did and didn't get!

Did you initially know that the QPR ownership and decision making committee were going to be such great characters or was that a happy accident?

A bit of both. The owners (Briatore & Ecclestone) brought with them a profile which you just knew was going to be conducive to strong characterisation. But I think I was fortunate that several other (at the time unknown) protagonists were so strong in their own right and offered something different: Amit Bhatia for his cool head and measured management style that develops, Gianni Paladini for his extraordinary drive and passion, and even Neil Warnock coming in to offer a new strong dynamic at just the right time. The melting pot of characters is kinda unique, diverse and creates fantastic dynamics. I think I was fortunate to that extent, yes.

Did you initially think the actual four-year plan was going to work (i.e. that QPR reach the EPL)? If not, at what point did you begin to believe?

I hoped! You can't guarantee anything of course. What I would say is that I was lucky the board said it was a four year plan as I had a hook then. With that I could keep the film alive unless it exceeded the four years. Luckily for me it didn't and they achieved it in four years. I am a football fan and a filmmaker, both of which rely upon being a bit of a dreamer. So when the two worlds collide your level of optimism, hope and dreaming are magnified. I did believe they would succeed ultimately yes, even at the lowest points. I knew it must not be given up on as a film, and am proud of the fact I kept going with it.

Queens-Park-RangersQPR barely survived on the last day this season. Did you watch the match against Manchester City? What was going through your head?

It was an epic day. I had friends over to my house for a day of food and football. The range of emotions were extraordinary. My friends couldn't quite believe the level to which I celebrated QPR's goals (I support Sheffield Wednesday), but it showed how I'd grown an emotional attachment to the club and I really cared that they stayed up. It would have been tragic to see all that hard work of last year for nothing. I was delighted for the club and it's fans. Sheffield Wednesday achieved a promotion this year and QPR stayed up so it was a great season for me!

As for the way the EPL ended... I don't think we will ever see anything quite like it again. Aguero's goal was received with shocked silence amongst my friends and I before we all erupted in reaction as we processed what had just happened. It was a moment so dramatic that only sport can really provide.

BUY TICKETS FOR THE FOUR-YEAR PLAN AT K+S NY 2012
Football Film Festival


QPR Official Site - NEW KIT SPONSORS PACKAGE

Another Premier League season at Loftus Road means another amazing opportunity for you to sponsor your R's heroes for the 2012/13 campaign.

What's more, next season presents kit sponsors with an even greater value for money offering ...

* Full kit sponsorship for the 2012/13 season - £750 + VAT (includes Home shirt / away shirt and boots)

*Name or company logo in every home league matchday programme

*Name or company logo on official website under player profile

*Signed personalised photograph of sponsored player

*Invite to Kit Sponsors evening for you and one guest

*Commemorative photograph of kit presentation

To enquire, call the QPR Sales team on 020 8740 2560 or e-mail commercial@qpr.co.uk  QPR



SKY/Chris Galea  - Cook eyes Championship switch
Former QPR winger convinced he has a bright future


Former Queens Park Rangers winger Lee Cook has set his sights on securing a move to a Championship club this summer.

The 29-year-old struggled to break into the first team at Loftus Road this season after making a full recovery from a long-term knee injury.

However, successful loan spells at Leyton Orient and Charlton put him in the shop window, with the experienced playmaker now a free agent.

He has now told Sky Sports that he is keen to return to the Premier League one day and prove his ability at the top level.

"I'm aiming for the Championship without a doubt because I know that I can still play in that division," he said.

"I'm confident of that happening from what my agent tells me, but I still have a lot of ambition and still want to be aiming for the Premier League again.

"I'm speaking to my agent every day, but a lot of the managers are away at the minute.

"Things will probably start to move again in the next couple of weeks and I'll keep ticking over fitness wise by going to the gym at QPR until I join a new club."

Charlton chance

Cook ended the season by helping Charlton secure the League One title, making four appearances, and he has not ruled out a permanent switch to The Valley.

He said: "I went there when they were flying with them top of the league by a good eight points and I went to help them finish the job off.

"Powelly (Chris Powell) brought me in and told me that a few of the lads were struggling and I could help with their final push.

"I had a good few games down there and training was really good too, so it was a very enjoyable spell and a great way to end the season.

"The loan stints were my chance to prove to everybody that I was fully fit again because I'd been out for over a year and it was one of those where people were questioning how fit my leg was.

"I started every game whilst at Orient, with ten games in the space of two months, so it was a chance to prove my fitness and I feel I've done that now.

"I just can't wait to join a new club where I know I'll be for a good few years and be able to help them achieve promotion, which I've seen happen at two different clubs in the last few seasons." Sky\




- QPR Flashback: On This Day for QPR (May 31) - 2,3,4,5,6, even 12 Years ago!


- Brentford  Q and A With Brentford CEO (and ex-QPR CEO) Mark Devlin including re QPR


- Renewed Samba Interest?

- Holocaust Survivor Talking to England Team...Avram Grant's Annual Return to Auschwitz

































Blog Archive