- On This Day: QPR's Charity Shield Loss...+ 25 Years Ago Today, QPR Top...45 Years Ago Today: QPR Top (Teams!)
- "Cesar would be a coup but QPR need a clear-out"
- Video Compilations of Julio Cesar in Action
- David Conn/The Guardian on new Elite Player Performance Plan and U-21 - Youth revolution aims for better England players – but will it work?
- Three Year Flashback: Concerns about Portsmouth Finances
QPR Social Media Success
MIRROR - French connection: Barton move to Marseille back on as QPR agree to supplement his wages
Rangers are desperate to get rid of the troublesome midfielder on a season long loan with Stephen M’Bia moving in the opposite direction
Barton Fink: QPR have tired of Barton's behaviour and have offered him a free transfer
Swaping “training with fellow Taliban members” for the crazy city which staged the French Connection could only happen to Joey Barton.
Who needs what and who could they get? Club-by-club guide to the last week of the transfer window
Especially after announcing it won’t happen on Twitter.
And if Olympique Marseille qualify for the Europa League tomorrow, the Enfant Terrible of English football will be playing European matches at a packed Stade Velodrome next month long before his domestic ban expires. It is certainly better than Fleetwood.
Yesterday started with Barton announcing to his 1.69million Twitter followers he was “heartbroken” that his loan move to Marseille was not going to happen.
But QPR are so keen to rid themselves of their former captain they are ready to continue to pay the bulk of his wages to end his internal exile at Loftus Road.
Hail Cesar: rangers want to bring in Inter Milan's Brazilian keeper
Barton’s agent Willie McKay said last night the player is ready to fly to Marseille with Stephen M’Bia heading in the opposite direction.
And sources close to Barton insist the year-long loan deal will finally go through in the next 48 hours although the French transfer window is open until September 4.
Meanwhile, QPR were finalising their ninth signing of the summer last night with Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar at Loftus Road.
The Inter Milan star, 32, is the latest thirtysomething player to be brought in on big wages with little re-sale value. And this at a club where agents claim they are unclear over who is really doing the transfer business. Mirror
Sporting Life - Barton leaving; Cesar joining?
Mark Hughes says Joey Barton's proposed move to Marseille could be back on and that QPR are close to signing Inter Milan goalkeeper Julio Cesar.
The former captain, who is in the midst of a 12-game ban, revealed earlier on Tuesday that a move to Marseille looked to be off.
However, following QPR's Capital One Cup victory over Walsall, Hughes said: "The Marseille ordeal may not be dead in the water.
"We might be able to get a solution for everybody. This option has attracted Joey's enthusiasm so hopefully it is concluded."
Meanwhile he is shocked the west Londoners are pulling off a move for Cesar.
The Brazil international was a key part of the Italian side's Champions League win two years ago but now looks set to leave the San Siro for W12.
Cesar was at Loftus Road on Tuesday to discuss terms ahead of the win over Walsall and looks set to pen a deal with the Hoops.
"There's nothing concluded yet," Hughes said. "There are a number of papers that need to go back.
"We're not at a point where we can actually say it's a done deal.
The intention is there obviously if we can but at the moment it's not concluded.
"I said I wanted to have two quality keepers this window if at all possible. Sometimes when opportunities present itself you want to pursue them.
"When you get an opportunity to possibly bring a player of the quality Julio Cesar's quality, with his playing record and his mentality, then I think you have to pursue to its conclusion.
"I think when we started the process we probably never thought there was an opportunity or chance he would be able to come here. If we are able to conclude it, we'll be delighted."
The move for Cesar has surprised some given QPR signed West Ham and England goalkeeper Rob Green earlier in the summer.
The 32-year-old penned a two-year deal with the Hoops but looks set to lose his number one spot after just three games.
Green kept his first clean sheet for the club against Walsall this evening and Hughes admits he did not manage to speak to him about the prospective Cesar acquisition before the game.
"I haven't had a chance to really talk to him about it," he said.
"Obviously I was concerned with the preparation for the game, but certainly I will sit down with Rob and go thought it.
"It is a challenge for everybody. What we're trying to do here is improve the quality of the group and that includes the goalkeeping position as well."
Hughes is also in the hunt for central defenders, with Real Madrid's Ricardo Carvalho and Tottenham club captain Michael Dawson amongst those targeted.
"That was the plan at the beginning of the window," he said.
"Probably of all the players we have gone after, that is the one position where we haven't really been able to address.
"We're looking at options right upto the window closing. Whether or not we'll be able to do it, I am not sure.
"Certainly it is an area we are certainly looking to bring one more in." Sporting Life
QPR vs Walsall