QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, February 26, 2007

Nostalgia Moment: Ian Holloway Appointed Manager of QPR...Six Years Ago Today

-
With ironic timing, today actually marks the sixth Year Anniversary of Ian Holloway's Appointment as manager of QPR.

And a reminder of one of the reasons why Holloway is held in such high esteem by quite a number of fans: Posted on QPR1st: "Ian Holloway's inspirational historic speech to QPR fans"


Monday, 26 February, 2001, QPR name Holloway as boss

Queens Park Rangers have named Ian Holloway�as the new manager at Loftus Road.

Former QPR midfielder Holloway - sacked as Bristol Rovers boss last month - takes over from Gerry Francis who announced he was standing down 10 days ago.

I can't wait to take it on and I feel we can kick on from this
QPR boss Ian Holloway

He said: "I'm absolutely delighted to take this challenge on and motivate some of these players.

"It was a huge part of my playing career and I felt so proud. Anybody that watched me play could see what I was - whole-hearted and determined.

"This is the biggest club I ever played for and what we achieved in those five years, I was delighted.

"I can't wait to take it on and I feel we can kick on from this."

Optimistic

Holloway has joined Rangers on a contract for the remainder of this season and the whole of next term with options for an extension.

He is optimistic that he can keep the struggling club in the First Division, but insists that it is not just down to him.

"The players have got to work hard and they'll get honesty and enthusiasm from me and hopefully that will rub off.

"We are fully realistic of where we are and what we've got to do."

The former Rovers boss takes charge of first-team affairs on Tuesday and will work alongside his former mentor Francis, who has become the club's director of football.

But Holloway's appointment - which Francis is widely reported to have supported - throws the future of Rangers' assistant manager Iain Dowie into doubt.

Dowie was desperate to take over but, having failed in his second bid to land the job, could be set to leave the club altogether especially if - as expected - Holloway brings in Gary Penrice as his assistant. BBC

For additional re Holloway Appointment: See QPR Report "Five Year Mark"

Blog Archive