QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Updated: EX-QPR Mike Ferguson Further Reflects on His Time at QPR

-
- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!
- Visit the QPR and football-only QPR Report Messageboard (and quasi-blog)


-

Ex-QPR Winger from The Early 1970s Mike Ferguson Reflects on His time at QPR

QPR Manager Les Allen signed Mike Ferguson in 1969 from Aston Villa for 15,000pounds. Skillful foward/winger...Ferguson was with QPR for 4 seasons, even captaining the club for a while in the 1971/72 season, when Terry Venables was injured. Ferguson was famous for being the last Accrington Stanley player to play in the Football League. After QPR won promotion in 1973, Ferguson joined Cambridge for a small fee.
[In the 1960s and 1970s, Mike Fergusonplayed for Accrington Stanley, Blackbrn Rovers, Aston Villa, QPR, Cambridge United and Rochdale. He was Rochdale manager Sep 1977 to Nov 1978; coached around the world in the 80´s and was an England Scout under Terry Venables from 1994-1996.


[From Mike Ferguson Emails to QPR Report: Comments Reposted with Permission]

I have only just found out there is a web with regard to ex players just reading,what a good site,I hope Frank Sibley,and Chippy Clark are as well as can be expected.
Best Regards Former Player Mike Ferguson

Thanks for your return email,I thought your piece about Frank and Clive was excellent,when you think in the early 60s,myself and many others voted in favour of strike action in support of better conditions for players,we never thought for one minute it would get has obscene with money has it is now,players have lost all contact with the rreal supporters,I know when I was at the rangers the supporters were superb with me,and very honest in there opinions.

"...[I]f you need any info I would be only to happy to give a view

"I will give you anotherstrange fact,you will remember when Rodney went to city,well nobody would wear the no 10 shirt, because Rod was so popular,I said to to Gordon jago give it to me,I have no problem,the club were afraid there was going to be a reaction to the 10 shirt,I wore it and was proud to,and actually took over as captain because Terry got injured."

"- Thanks for your email, I did read some of the return Comments,the Barnet one is funny,I dont have a barnet now.
- Regarding Terry [Venables] he was the biggest influence on the team, MORE THAN THE MANAGER, myself Terry and Rod used to plan free kicks,corners etc, he was a brilliant leader,even then is knowledge of the game was fantastic.
- One reply mentioned Gerry [Francis] and Martyn [Busby], not many people know, but one of the Managers was going to release one of them at the end of one season, I will not say which one,Terry had strong words with the Manager and they were both kept.
- Les Allen signed myself and Phil Parkes within a few weeks of each other, when I signed, we had former England players,Ron Springett, Barry Bridges, Terry, Frank Sibley had played for the under 23s,when there was so many great players around ,then of course Dave Clement went on to play with England along with Phil,Ian Gillard, and of course Gerry became England captain,and Rodney, we also had Don Givens for the Republic,we had good players,the problem was we liked to entertain,we had to with Rod in the side.
- I will answer any question should anyone ask.
Best Regards
Mike Ferguson

- Another time I will let you know about Jim Gregory."

[See here: For additional bios re Mike Ferguson (and before) or to post a question for Mike Ferguson or email it here]



- QPR in Contention for Three Football League Awards Tonight

- Sheffield United Match Reports and Neil Warnock Comments

- Flavio Briatore "I have Held Onto My Shares" Continued Share Ownership

- Club/(Club Selected) Fan Reps Meet on Monday

- Flavio Briatore's "Decline" Profiled

- Hart, Harford, Magilton and Sousa: QPR Managerial Stats

- Andrew Ellis' QPR Takeover Effort briefly recalled and Terry Fenwick recalls Ellis as Northampton Chairman

- Sunday Times' Ron Liddle Proposals for the Football League

- Competition Closing Tomorrow: Photoshop Neil Warnock

- QPR Attendance Figures Season by Season

Blog Archive