QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, March 04, 2013

On This Day: QPR Win The 1967 League Cup Final: Photos. Photos. Photos!...Two Year Flashback: Bid for QPR Ownership...QPR Reject Samba Bid...


- The 1967 League Cup Final - The Bushman Photo Archives

 - Bushman Archives: Getting to Wembley


- Two Year Flashback: (Bhatia-Mittal?) Bid for QPR

QPR Official Site - March 4, 2011 - CLUB STATEMENT
In response to recent press speculation relating the potential sale of a 67% shareholding in QPR Holdings Limited (the 'Company'), the Company confirms that it has entered into preliminary discussions, which may or may not result in an offer being made.
It is emphasised that these talks are at an early stage, and that there is no certainty that an offer for the Company will be forthcoming. Thread/Updates

- 15 Years ago: Mark Kennedy's Final Game for QPR - QPR 5 Middlesbrough 0
"March 4, 1998

QPR Official Site - QPR 5, Middlesbrough 0

Nationwide Division One - March 4th 1998

Rangers' stunning first-half performance saw them net four times before the break against promotion-chasing Middlesbrough at Loftus Road.

A Steve Vickers own goal got the ball rolling for the Hoops, before Paul Bruce, Kevin Gallen and Mike Sheron all fired home before the half-time whistle to put the hosts in control against Bryan Robson's high-flying Boro'.

Sheron then added his second of the night eight minutes after the interval before Andy Townsend was shown his marching orders, as the R's recorded a spectacular win on a memorable evening in West London for Ray Harford's men.


Sporting Life QPR 5 Middlesbrough 0

Middlesbrough's hopes of automatic promotion were dealt another blow at Loftus Road as they were simply blown away by QPR.

Bryan Robson's boys were determined to bounce back against lowly QPR after their 4-0 thrashing at Nottingham Forest on Sunday but a devastating spell of four goals in 13 first-half minutes sent them packing.

On 32 minutes Rangers snatched the lead with a freak goal. Mark Kennedy's cross looked like being easily cleared by defender Steve Vickers but his swipe at the ball saw it hook behind him and over Andy Dibble's head into the net.

That seemed to spur Rangers and five minutes later it was two in equally bizarre circumstances. Early substitute Paul Bruce hit a ball in from the left touchline which took a slight deflection and flew into the top corner.

There was no fluke about the third a minute later. Kennedy's superb 30-yard pass found Kevin Gallen who rounded the keeper before expertly shooting through a crowd of players.

Mike Sheron grabbed the fourth right on half time when Gallen nipped the ball through for him to curl a shot past Dibble from 20 yards.

Robson took off Michael Thomas, Nigel Pearson and Craig Hignett at half-time, bringing on Mikkel Beck and Alun Armstrong to form a four-man attack.

It was a bold move and it almost paid off a minute into the second half when Paul Merson's corner was headed on by Beck only for David Bardsley to head it against the crossbar and away.

They soon paid for their adventure though when Rangers grabbed a fifth on 53 minutes. Kennedy got down the left and his cross was perfect for Sheron to head home his second goal. The frustration was setting in for Boro and on 64 minutes Andy Townsend paid the price.

Just 20 seconds after being booked for a tussle with Gallen he tripped Nigel Quashie and the referee gave him his second yellow card.

Rangers threatened to run riot and man of the match Kennedy, as well as Bruce and Sheron, had shots well saved while all Boro had to offer were long-range efforts from Beck and Merson which flew over the bar.

It was the first time this season that Boro have lost two games on the trot in the league and the Coca-Cola Cup finalists will now be looking over their shoulders at the chasing pack.


QPR: Harper, Bardsley, Morrow, Kulcsar, Ready, Yates, Perry (Bruce 7), Quashie (Heinola 89), Sheron, Gallen (Slade 83), Kennedy.
Booked: Yates, Gallen.
Goals: Vickers 32 og, Bruce 37, Gallen 38, Sheron 45, 53.

Middlesbrough: Dibble, Festa, Fleming, Vickers, Pearson (Maddison 45), Mustoe, Hignett (Armstrong 45), Townsend, Branca, Merson, Thomas (Beck 45).
Sent Off: Townsend (64).
Booked: Townsend.

Att: 11,580
Ref: A P D'Urso (Billericay).

[And then they took back Mark Kennedy!]


IRISH star Mark Kennedy has returned to Liverpool after his loan spell at Loftus Road.

Liverpool have called Kennedy back due to Robbie Fowler’s injury and the fact that they only have Riedle and Owen as recognized forwards.

Rangers chief executive Clive Berlin says:"Unfortunately this is disappointing news. Liverpool felt they must have Mark Kennedy back immediately as he is their only recognized forward cover.

"Both myself and Ray Harford had been in contact with Liverpool trying to persuade them otherwise. We wanted to extend Kennedy’s loan or to purchase him outright. We offered a substantial sum of money, but at the end it really didn’t come down to price.

"Liverpool confirmed to me that there are three other clubs who have also shown an interest in Mark, but that we will have first refusal should the situation change. Mark has also confirmed that he would be more than happy to stay with Rangers if that situation should change.

"So we have tried everything we can and we will continue to try, but unfortunately Mark returns to Liverpool today."

- Remembering QPR history: Four Memorable Anniversaries (1947/48...1967/68...1972/73...1982/83)
"....QPR in those days were small, proud, well-run, maximizing their resources, innovative and playing attractive football. When you told someone you supported QPR you usually received a positive reaction."

- QPR On This Day (Yesterday): AEK ATHENS First Leg - (Photos from Bushman Archives)

Att: 97,952.
Scorers: R. Morgan. Marsh, Lazarus








The players read Good Luck telegrams in the Wembley dressing room before kick-off.
Reg Hayter who founded Hayter's Sports Reporting Agency in Fleet Street is in the overcoat.


Frank Sibley & Jim Langley check the Wembley Pitch.


Parade of Final teams by schoolboys attired in the colours of the last 32 clubs



The two sides walk out onto the Wembley pitch greeted by a crowd of 97,952.


The crowd mixed in together.



Marsh goes up but Roger Morgan is waiting to score Rangers first goal.


Roger Morgan heads Rangers first goal.


Rodney Marsh scores.


Rodney celebrates his goal.


Mark Lazarus (No.7) turns after scoring winning goal. Marsh & Hunt celebrate.


Left to Right
Back row:Mike Keen,Tony Hazell,Ron Hunt, Mark Lazarus, Les Allen,Frank Sibley,Jim Langley,Two Black & White Minstrels & three stewards.
Front row:Peter Springett, Roger Morgan, Rodney Marsh, Ian Morgan & Keith Sanderson.

This image is reduced by 23%, click it to view full size.


Mike Keen


Ian Morgan looks on as Roger Morgan holds the cup aloft. Les Allen can be seen throwing his tankard in the air.


Left to Right: Ron Hunt,Roger Les Allen,Ian Morgan,Mike Keen,Tony Hazell & Peter Springett.


Les Allen & Jim Langley


Mike Keen & Jim Gregory (Chairman)


Keith Sanderson,Mark Lazarus,Peter Springett & Les Allen


Les Allen,Jim Gregory (Chairman) & Alec Farmer (trainer)


Tony Hazell,Rodney Marsh,Ron Hunt,Ian Morgan,Roger Morgan & Peter Springett


Jim Langley & Les Allen


Mirror By John Cross
Pride before profit: QPR turned down Zenit's massive offer for Christopher Samba

3 Mar 2013 23:00
"We had an offer for Samba, right on the deadline and the chairman turned it down. It was for more money than we paid," claims Harry Redknapp
QPR chairman Tony Fernandes turned down a "massive offer" from Zenit St Petersburg which could have seen the Hoops make a quick profit on Chris Samba.

Harry Redknapp revealed that a Russian club - which Mirror Sport can reveal was Zenit - came in for Samba last week with more money than the £12.5m QPR paid Anzhi for the centre half in January.

QPR are still well adrift from safety and will be left with a huge wage bill if they go down but Fernandes decided against cashing in on Samba.

The Russian transfer window was open until last week and Zenit believed a deal would have complied with FIFA rules.

Redknapp insists Samba proved his worth with a brilliant display in QPR's win at Southampton and also claims the ex-Blackburn defender would have been a perfect fit for Arsenal and could play for a top six club.

QPR boss Redknapp said: "We had an offer for Samba, right on the deadline and the chairman turned it down. It was for more money than we paid for Samba.

"The offer was last week - it was a massive offer to take Samba back to Russia. It was in the week that has just gone as the Russian window was still open. It was a big offer.

He asked Harry: QPR chairman Tony Fernandes discussed Zenit's Samba offer with Redknapp
Paul Gilham

"The chairman asked me 'what do you think?' and I said 'it is up to you, it is your club, it is your decision'. I would have had no problem. I left it to the chairman. He came back and said he had turned it down and said 'get on with it'.

"The player probably spoke to the chairman but it was really important we kept him. It was really good for us. Had we had lost him, I would have had to have played someone else. That is football.

"But he is a proper player. When he was sold, I could never understand why Arsenal did not sign him that time. He is everything you need. He is quick, he can play round his feet. He is a proper centre-half. He could play anywhere in this country and for all the top teams."

It is clear Redknapp feels QPR were criticised unfairly for signing Samba for such a big fee and on £100,000-a-week wages but obviously feels they will get their money back and more even if they go down.

Man Utd2871
Man City2756
West Brom2840
West Ham2833
Aston Villa2724
Premier League


QPR: Kevin Cruickshank an  Damian Roden tender resignations

Blog Archive