QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Amazing! QPR Win (Away) at Leicester

Ending a goaless away run dating back to mid-November, QPR today travelled to Leicester and won 3-1. Halftime was 0-0. Second half goals Idiakez, Nygaard (penalty) and Nygaard again.

Leicester 38 46
Burnley 37 41
Hull 39 41
Barnsley 39 41
QPR 38 40
Southend 39 39
Luton 39 36
Leeds 39 36

Updated Table

A sensational second-half strike from Marc Nygaard capped Rangers' first away win in four months as they lifted themselves out of the bottom three.
Nygaard's stunning volley, his second of the game, put John Gregory's side into a 3-0 lead midway through the second half and, despite a late Leicester goal, it was enough for a morale-boosting victory.

Neither side could carve out many chances in a tepid first half as Leicester's Jason Jarrett bundled his finish wide of Lee Camp's goal.

At the other end, Lee Cook's cross picked out Paul Furlong, whose looping header sailed well wide of the target.

Leicester keeper Paul Henderson was finally called into action just before the half-hour mark when he fended Gareth Ainsworth's cross-cum-shot behind but the corner, from Inigo Idiakez, went astray.

Idiakez latched onto a half-chance when Nygaard nodded back Cook's cross, but the Spaniard's half-volley sailed into the stand.

Camp was the busier of the two keepers, fielding a 25-yarder from Alan Maybury and then leaping to his right to push away Iain Hume's curling free-kick from 25 yards.

And Camp then produced a magnificent block to parry Stephen Hughes' piledriver after Hume's shot had deflected off Damion Stewart.

On the stroke of half-time, though, the ball broke to Nygaard inside the penalty area, but he blazed wide and was relieved to see the linesman's flag raised for an offside decision.

There was nothing to prevent Rangers celebrating a goal just over a minute after the restart, though, as Nygaard nodded back Cook's free-kick and Idiakez powered a header beyond Henderson.

Suddenly the Rs were beginning to swarm forward with confidence and the home side scrambled Adam Bolder's cross behind before Furlong could reach it.

That respite was short-lived, though, and referee Neil Swarbrick pointed to the spot after a push by Maybury, giving Rangers an opportunity to double their lead.

In the absence of Rowlands, Nygaard took on the responsibility and the big Dane made no mistake, calmly slotting low to Henderson's right.

Leicester's response was to bring on ex-Fulham striker Elvis Hammond and he quickly scampered on to a Hume pass, but was halted by Stewart's timely challenge.

And Leicester were shattered by a third goal that came out of nowhere in the 68th minute - Furlong flicking on Camp's clearance for Nygaard who, from 30 yards out, lashed an astonishing volley into the net from wide on the right.

With 15 minutes remaining, Danny Cullip charged down a shot from Hammond and Rangers broke again, but Gareth Ainsworth's cross was plucked out of the air by Henderson.

With disgruntled Leicester fans spilling out of the stadium, those still inside must have known it was not their day when Camp spilled Danny Tiatto's deep free-kick and the ball rebounded to Shaun Newton, who blazed wildly over the bar.

There was a late scare for Rangers when Cook cleared Patrick Kisnorbo's header off the line and, in another penalty area scramble, Camp denied Newton from close range.

But Leicester gained a consolation in added time when Cullip handled Hume's cross and the striker smashed the spot-kick past Camp.

Leicester City: Paul Henderson, Alan Maybury, Darren Kenton, Patrick Kisnorbo, Nils-Eric Johansson, Shaun Newton, Jason Jarrett (James Wesolowski 77), Stephen Hughes (Danny Tiatto 77), Mark Yeates, Iain Hume, Geoff Horsfield (Elvis Hammond 63).

Subs not used: Conrad Logan, Richard Stearman.

Goals: Hume 90 (pen)

Bookings: Johansson, Hume

QPR: Lee Camp, Michael Mancienne, Danny Cullip, Damion Stewart, Marcus Bignot, Adam Bolder,
Gareth Ainsworth (Jimmy Smith 89), Inigo Idiakez (Steve Lomas 63), Lee Cook, Paul Furlong (Ray Jones 84), Marc Nygaard.

Subs not used: Jake Cole, Patrick Kanyuka.

Goals: Idiakez 47, Nygaard 51 (pen), 68

Bookings: Stewart, Cullip, Furlong, Jones

Att: 24,558 QPR Official Site

Leicester City suffered their first home defeat since New Year's Day as they went down 3-1 against Queens Park Rangers at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Two goals inside four minutes at the start of the second half from Inigo Idiakez and a Marc Nygaard penalty did the damage before a Nygaard wonder goal sealed matters.

It proved to be a bad day at the office for the hosts with Iain Hume's 12th of the campaign from the penalty spot late on proving scant consolation.

Stephen Hughes, Mark Yeates and Shaun Newton came close but they could not prevent the home side suffering their second defeat in nine matches.

Lee Camp saved well from Hume on two minutes after the diminutive striker had jinked his way into the penalty area.

Both Hume and Geoff Horsfield just failed to connect with the returning Mark Yeates' dangerous cross from the left two minutes later.

Jason Jarrett tried his luck from 30-yards in the ninth minute but Camp was equal to the task and saved comfortably.

Nils-Eric Johansson was booked for a deliberate hand ball a minute later before Jarrett stabbed his effort wide from close range after Newton's cross from the right.

At the other end Paul Furlong headed wide from Lee Cook's cross then Camp dived to his left to deny Alan Maybury from long distance on 22 minutes.

After Horsfield broke up a QPR attack on the half-way line, he released Yeates who raced clear before curling an effort just wide of the right-hand upright.

Damion Stewart was cautioned for a lunge on Hume in the 26th minute.

Paul Henderson had to divert Gareth Ainsworth's cross out for a corner moments later as the visitors tried to stamp their authority on the contest.

Danny Cullip was yellow-carded following a foul on Horsfield on 31 minutes and from the resulting free-kick Camp was forced to parry Hume's shot away from the danger zone.

Adam Bolder put his effort high and wide in the 37th minute before the Foxes came close two minutes later.

After good work by Newton down the right flank, Stephen Hughes unleashed a terrific effort which forced a fine save from Camp before Yeates' follow up shot was blocked for a corner.

In first half stoppage time, Hume was booked for a foul then Nygaard should have put his side a goal up but somehow drilled his close range shot wide when unmarked inside the six-yard box.

The Hoops took the lead within two minutes of the restart thanks to an Inigo Idiakez header.

Marcus Bignot's free-kick was met by Nygaard with the ball falling for the midfielder who had the simple task of directing his header past Henderson and into the back of the net for the opener.

And the visitors made it 2-0 on 51 minutes when Nygaard tucked away his penalty after Alan Maybury had been penalised for a push on Paul Furlong inside the area.

With City desperate for a way back into the game, Horsfield made way for Elvis Hammond on 63 minutes with Steve Lomas also replacing goalscorer Idiakez.

The Hoops went three goals clear in the 68th minute thanks to a moment of magic from Nygaard.

The ball found him wide on the right, and within a split second he hit an inch-perfect dipping effort from 25-yards which sailed over Henderson and into the net for a wonder goal.

The hosts made a double change in the 75th minute with Stephen Hughes coming off for Danny Tiatto and James Wesolowski replacing Jarrett.

Furlong was booked on 80 minutes before Newton put his effort over the bar and then Ray Jones came on for Furlong soon after.

Patrick Kisnorbo had a late header cleared off the line in the 85th minute then Camp saved well at the feet of Newton as City looked for a consolation.

Jimmy Smith replaced Ainsworth and Jones was booked for a foul on Darren Kenton.

Hume bagged a late consolation from the spot but it proved too little, too late for Rob Kelly's men.

City: Henderson, Maybury, Kenton, Kisnorbo ©, Johansson, Newton, Jarrett (Wesolowski 75), Hughes (Tiatto 75), Yeates, Hume, Horsfield (Hammond 63). Subs not used: Logan, Stearman.

QPR: Camp, Mancienne, Cullip, Stewart, Bignot ©, Bolder, Ainsworth (Smith 88), Idiakez (Lomas 63), Cook, Furlong (Jones 83), Nygaard. Subs not used: Cole, Kanyuka.

Yellow Cards
City: Johansson (10), Hume (45)
QPR: Stewart (26), Cullip (31), Furlong (80), Jones (89)

Referee: Neil Swarbrick (Lancashire)
Attendance: 24,558
Goals :
Hume 90 + 3 (pen)
Idiakez 47
Nygaard 51 (pen)
Nygaard 68 Leicester

PHOTOS FROM LEICESTER (Leicester Official Site)

Blog Archive