QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Snippets: QPR Reserves Hold Southampton...Ex-QPR Birthday...Ex-QPR Steve Morrow Unbeaten

Good comeback for QPR Reserves against Southampton. [Pickens, who was not on the bench for QPR's game against Charlton, was not in QPR's goal for this reserve game]

Ex-QPR goalie, Frazer (or Fraser) Digby Turns 41. Digby played some 20 games for QPR between October 2001 and January 2003. - Wikipedia --- Digby

Steve Morrow's FC Dallas, only team remaining unbeaten in MLS! Unbeaten FC Dallas -- FC Dallas Report (and uniform!)

Another Ex-QPR day coming up in the MLS: Gino Padula (photo) vs John Spencer (Assistant Coach) -
COlumbus vs Houston Dynamos

Southampton Official Site - Reserves draw

Saints Reserves fielded a strong side as they went in search of the win which would clinch top spot in the Pontins Holidays Combination Central Division.

Marek Saganowski and Vincent Pericard were paired up front with Nathan Dyer and Alex Ostlund also given a match fitness run-out in readiness for the final two Coca-Cola Championship games of the season.

Saints Res: Pernecky, Ostlund, Lancashire, K Davies, Mills, Dyer (Thomson 87), Gillett, James, Lallana, Pericard (McGoldrick 45), Saganowski (Baseya 45). Subs: Hatch, Poke.

QPR Res: Crowther, Coyne, Barker, O'Brien (Smith 45), Rehman, Braithwaite, Kelly, Maguire, German (Morgan-Cummings 63), Arthur (Brown 63), Rose. Subs: Wright, Goodchild.

Referee: B Malone. Attendance: 728

Saints almost took the lead after just three minutes as James fed Lallana on the left and his delicate cross picked out the unmarked Saganowski who flicked a header inches wide of the far post from six yards.

James found Lallana again three minutes later but this time his chip was nodded away from Pericard by Rehman.

An 18-yard shot by James swung just wide of the left post following a lay-back by Pericard who then had a shot blocked by Rehman.

Ostlund's clever backheel and spin gave him space to hang up a cross for Saganowski at the far post. He met it well but the powerful header was well saved at almost point blank range by Crowther on 10 minutes.

Lallana dropped the shoulder and darted past three defenders in quick succession but his attempted lay-off for James was intercepted.

The lively Lallana then saw a 22-yard shot fly over and James was also off target with a blast from similar range on 25 minutes.

A minute later the visitors managed their first attempt on goal, a 30-yard drive by Arthur always rising.

Gillett threaded through for Lallana who turned well in the box but could only prod through to the keeper under pressure.

Ostlund shaped to cross on the run but instead cut in from the right to hit a low left-foot drive which was turned round the near post.

Saganowski fired a low 18-yard shot past the right post then Rose tried an ambitious 30-yard shot which took a deflection to win a corner.

Ostlund teed up Gillett whose powerful 20-yard left-foot blast was beaten away by Crowther to his left.

Dyer's deflected shot came to Lallana who reacted sharply but could not quite divert the header on target. Pericard blasted past the right post from 16 yards as Saints kept up the pressure.

Pernecky dived bravely at the feet of Maguire as he tried to pounce on a firm, low diagonal ball in from the right.

Half-time: Saints Res 0 QPR Res 0

Saints made two changes at half-time taking off Saganowski and Pericard to protect them for the league games and sending on Baseya and McGoldrick. QPR also made a switch replacing O'Brien with Smith.

It almost paid immediate dividends as McGoldrick broke down the right and put in a low centre but Baseya could only meet it straight on beyond the far post and put it wide.

Ostlund made a powerful driving run into the box but had to stretch for the shot and could only put it over the bar.

Lallana appeared to be taken out by a rash lunge from the keeper but with the ball already running behind, the referee gave only a goal-kick.

Saints went agonisingly close on 54 minutes when Gillett's powerful 22-yard central free-kick deflected off the wall and came back off the inside of the right post.

Mills made a superbly-timed lunge to rob Maguire as he was about to shoot from eight yards and with the goal seemingly at his mercy.

James curled a 20-yard shot past the angle of the far right post and bar on 57 minutes and Lancashire bravely hurled himself in the way of a long-range effort by Coyne.

QPR made a double switch on 63 minutes sending on Brown and Morgan-Cummings for Arthur and German.

Morgan escaped a booking after bringing down Ostlund in full flight just outside the box. James floated in the free-kick which dropped between the keeper and Braithwaite at the far post and hit the shins of Lancashire running in. It came at him too suddenly to direct it and he could only run it wide of the far post.

Dyer burst forward through the inside right position but could only fire over from 20 yards. Then he outsprinted a defender in pursuit of a James chip. Dyer tried to lob the keeper who made a fine save at full-stretch to tip behind.

McGoldrick clipped a 30-yard free-kick over the bar with 18 minutes on the clock. McGoldrick then collided with the keeper as he chased Ostlund's chip forward. Baseya followed up to head the ball over Crowther and towards the unguarded goal only for Rehman to get back and nod off the line.

MCGOLDRICK needed treatment and as he was summoned back onto the field he robbed Braithwaite on the edge of the area, rounded Crowther and slotted into the empty net from 10 yards to give Saints a deserved lead on 76 minutes.

Lallana and Coyne both needed treatment after a collision in the box and Davies intercepted well to stop Brown.

With three minutes on the clock, Saints sent on Thomson for Dyer who received a warm ovation as he went off.

Immediately he made a run down the right to win a corner which was cleared by Braithwaite as three minutes were added.

In the second of those, Brown was played in to the left of goal. He had time and space to measure a shot but drove wide of the far post.

In the dying seconds, Saints were rocked as a powerful low centre by Morgan-Cummings was turned in at the far post by BROWN with almost the last kick of the game.

It left Stewart Henderson's men still needing to win their final game of the season against Watford at Boreham Wood on May 1 to secure top spot in the Pontins Holidays Combination League as Charlton have a better goal difference.
P W D L GD Pts
Charlton 18 11 4 3 22 37
SAINTS 17 11 3 3 19 36
Watford 15 7 4 4 4 25
C Palace 16 5 8 3 1 23
Brighton 16 6 3 7 6 21
Leyton Orient 15 6 2 8 -4 20
Wycombe 17 5 2 10 -11 17
Aldershot 15 4 4 7 -12 16
QPR 16 3 5 8 -8 14
Millwall 16 3 5 8 -17 14


Posted on: Tue 22 Apr 2008

Substitute Lee Brown notched a last-gasp equaliser, as a young QPR Reserve side shared the spoils with title-chasing Southampton in the Pontins Holidays Combination League tonight (Tuesday).

David McGoldrick had earlier put Saints ahead in the 76th minute, only for Brown to level terms with almost the last kick of the game.

While Rangers included just two first team squad members in the shape of Chris Barker and Zesh Rehman, Southampton - chasing a victory that would take them to the summit of the division - named a strong starting XI.
Article continues
Click Here!

Marek Saganowski and Vincent Pericard were paired in attack, while Nathan Dyer and Alex Ostlund also started for the South Coast outfit.

After a tight opening at St Mary's, Saints almost took the lead on three minutes, when Saganowski's glancing header fell inches wide of the far post.

The Saints front-man was proving a constant threat and when he met Ostlund's perfectly flighted cross seven minutes later, Reece Crowther was in the right place at the right time to tip the ball wide.

The R's first effort of note arrived on the half hour, but Chris Arthur's powerful drive from distance was always rising.

As the clock ticked towards the break, Adam Lallana diverted a header wide, before Pericard fired over on the stroke of half-time.

Southampton continued to ask questions of the R's rearguard after the interval, and their deserved breakthrough arrived 14 minutes from time.

Half-time substitute McGoldrick, who had twice gone close earlier in the half, rounded Crowther with ease before slotting into an empty net.

Rangers - to their credit - continued to chase the game, and they were rewarded in the second of three added minutes, when Brown tucked home Aaron Morgan-Cummings' low cross.

The draw left Saints requiring victory against Watford in their final fixture to secure the title. QPR

Blog Archive