QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Recalling QPR's New Year's Day Humiliation of Manchester United at Old Trafford....Ex-QPR Tony Currie Turns Fifty-Nine

-
Visit the QPR Report Messageboard for additional football articles and posters' opinions

- Seventeen Years Ago, New Years Day 1992 - QPR Crushed Manchester United at Old Trafford: Video of Manchester United 1 QPR 4

- QPR's Team Versus Manchester United
Stejskal - Bardsley Mcdonald Peacock Wilson - Sinton Holloway Wilkins Barker -Bailey Wegerle - QPR Manager: Gerry Francis!
-[Manchester United's team included Peter Schmeichel and Brian McClair.]

Quote from Alex Ferguson: "..On my 50th birthday, we lost 4-1 to QPR..."

[QPR's victory was extra-sweet, given that one of QPR's worst-ever moments was their March 1969 8-1 humiliation at Old Trafford - Thankfully not on tape!]

Scott Murray/The Guardian, December 21, 2007 - Joy of Six: great Christmas matches
- From Christmas 1914 to a couple of Old Firm ding-dongs, here's our pick of the best football games played over the yuletide period...

- 2. Manchester United 1-4 Queens Park Rangers (1992)
Hogmanay 1991 saw Alex Ferguson turn 50, an event no doubt marked by the partaking of an odd nippy sweetie or two. The day after wasn't so much of a celebration for Fergie, however. His team, locked in a title race with Leeds United, kicked off against QPR at Old Trafford, then proceeded to stumble around like men who you'd suspect, if you didn't know better, had been unprofessional enough to join Fergie in his celebrations the night before.
- Within five minutes, QPR were two up thanks to goals from Andy Sinton and Dennis Bailey; Sinton's in particular was an eyebrow raiser, as Roy Wegerle, then Simon Barker, rolled simple slow balls across the ground and into the box towards Sinton, who had plenty of time to stroke past Peter Schmeichel despite the presence of seven United players in the box - all of whom were standing round like punters waiting patiently to be served at a bar.
- In the second half, Bailey scored his second - a cheeky chip over the advancing Schmeichel - before Brian McClair pulled one back for United, but there was to be no respite for the queasy home side: Bailey tapped home his hat-trick goal after Sinton had hit the post to complete a rout. Wegerle really should have made it five, blasting wildly over when free in the area, but that small mercy didn't stop United leaving the pitch to a chorus of booze. Sorry, boos." Guardian

The Independent: Football On this Day: January 1, 1992
- "NEW YEAR'S DAY 10 years ago saw one of the season's biggest shocks befall Manchester United, who had ended 1991 on a high note by drawing 1-1 at Elland Road to keep Leeds in second place. United had lost only once all season but then inexplicably crashed 4-1 at home to QPR, for whom Dennis Bailey scored a hat-trick. Leeds, meanwhile, won 3-1 at West Ham, where Gary McAllister added to Lee Chapman's double to stretch the eventual champions' unbeaten run to 13 games. S
- outhampton's home defeat against Everton left them stuck at the bottom but the followers of Leicester, Ipswich and Derby can take heart from the fact that although West Ham went down, both the Saints and Sheffield United were to escape relegation despite turning the year in the bottom three. The Blades - managed by Dave Bassett - won 11 of their last 18 games and finished ninth. Luton and Notts County were the sides to go down with the Hammers." The Independent

Dennis Bailey Remembers
FA- Bailey recalls past glory 12 August 2003.
- When Ronaldo hit three goals at Manchester United for Real Madrid in the Champions League quarter-finals in April, it brought back some golden memories for Dennis Bailey...
- Stafford Rangers striker Bailey is actually the last Englishman to score a hat-trick against United at Old Trafford. It came in his time as a Queens Park Rangers player in a live television game on New Years Day 1992.
QPR astounded the nation by winning the match 4-1 with goals from Bailey (3) and Andy Sinton.
- Bailey said:" Without a doubt, that game was the highlight of my career. I was fortunate enough to be part of a really good QPR side that played quality attacking football.
- "Even so, we went to Old Trafford as underdogs and people were saying we would lose by three or four goals. United were unbeaten at home, chasing the championship and the whole country expected them to win.
- "But the Rangers team clicked together that day and we could have scored six or seven. And for me to get a hat-trick made it a great occasion for myself and the club.
- "I'm still proud to have the record as the last Englishman to notch a hat-trick at Old Trafford against United. I hope the record stands for a long time, but if someone breaks it I hope it is a QPR player!..." FA


TONY CURRIE Turns Fifty-Nine
- Born January 1, 1950. Signed by Tommy Docherty from Leeds in the Summer of 1979, for a then-club record fee of 400,000 pounds, Currie spent four seasons at QPR and captained QPR in the Cup Final Replay against Spurs (giving away the penalty!) Basically made his name at Sheffield United as a brilliant midfielder. And for a brief few months played in the same QPR team as Stan Bowles. When Currie signed for QPR, that was one of those "wow" moments: Did we really sign Currie?! Amazingly, Currie was a youth player at QPR before being rejected in favour of another player (Bob Turpie).

- Video of Currie scoring for Leeds

View of Former QPR, Manchester United and England Winger, Gordon Hill -
"Flair? Tony Currie was absolutely glorious. He could play, was strong, he worked his tail off and had an abundance of skill. He could turn a game for you. So could Stan Bowles. Gerry Francis was fabulous." Telegraph

NOVEMBER 2007 QPR OFFICIAL SITE PROFILE OF/INTERVIEW WITH TONY CURRIE
QPR Official Site BLAST FROM THE PAST ...Tony Currie (1979-1983)


When Tony Currie moved to Loftus Road in August 1979, it was one of the most exciting signings in the history of Queens Park Rangers Football Club.
We had just been relegated to the Second Division and paid £400,000 to top flight Leeds United for the 29 year-old. The flamboyant midfielder was part of the England international set-up at that time, having won 17 full caps. So it was an extraordinary coup for the R's.
- Looking back, Currie reveals that his domestic circumstances dictated the move to Shepherds Bush. But he had been on the books here at Rangers as a youngster and so he was pleased to return to the Club.
- He said: "I was born in Edgware and I grew up in Cricklewood. I first joined QPR on amateur forms when I was 14 to 15 years-old. Then when I left school the Club didn't think I was good enough to sign as an apprentice.
- "Instead, they signed Bob Turpie who was a mate of mine and went to the same School as me.
So I then had to go and work for a small building firm.
"I did that for six months. I was painting, decorating and plumbing from eight o'clock in the morning until six at night. I was only on a fiver a week and I didn't really enjoy the work.
- "Then a Watford scout saw me playing Sunday football. After signing for the Hornets, my career took off and I eventually moved to Sheffield United and then on to Leeds United. I was pleased with my form at Elland Road and my England appearances, but my wife at the time wanted us to move back to London for personal reasons.
- "QPR were showing ambition with Tommy Docherty as Manager. He had already made some key signings like Chris Woods and David McCreery and so it was a strong squad in the Second Division. I felt it was a good move for me and things worked out well. I loved my time at Loftus Road and I had a great rapport with the crowd."
Currie made his home debut in a local derby against Fulham on September 8th 1979. And he marked the occasion in stunning trademark fashion with a thunderous 30-yard shot into the roof of the net.
- "I remember the goal and that game," said Currie. "I had missed the start of the season with a serious ankle injury. And I only played against Fulham after having two pain killing injections.
- "I scored the third in our 3-0 win. Stan Bowles dribbled down the right hand side and the Fulham defence were pushing out to get us offside. I made a diagonal run through the middle as I always used to do in my career. Stan played a beautiful pass in over my shoulder. It dropped just nicely for me and I didn't even have to change my stride. I hit it full on the volley for a dipper. It was a nice strike and a great way to start my time at Rangers."
- The News of The World match report on that game said: "England man Currie tormented Fulham with his control and majestic passing and he finally crushed them with a 73rd minute goal that earned a standing ovation. Currie has only had two training sessions with Rangers since leaving Leeds, but he was superb in his home debut for the Londoners."
- A new Rangers legend had been born and with his flowing blond hair and exquisite footballing skills, Currie was a player who epitomised the traditional style of this football Club. He went on to make nearly 100 appearances for the R's and relished being part of our team that reached the 1982 FA Cup Final.
- "We had a wonderful run to reach Wembley. I particularly remember the marvellous support we had at Highbury for the Semi-Final against West Bromwich Albion and Clive Allen's deflected winning goal that day. It was fantastic for me as I had previously been in three FA Cup Semis with Leeds and lost every one.
- "Then I thought my life's ambition had come true when I captained the QPR team against Spurs in the Cup Final replay, when our usual skipper Glenn Roeder was unfortunately suspended. I hoped I was going to lift the trophy, which had always been my dream.
- "We were really unlucky not to beat Tottenham that night. I gave away the penalty early on from which Glenn Hoddle scored. But we dictated the rest of the game. John Gregory hit the bar with a terrific lob and Gary Micklewhite had a perfectly good goal disallowed. So our 1-0 defeat was a real shame."
Currie was hampered by a knee injury after that and eventually moved on to play in Canada in May 1983. He later returned to the UK for brief spells with Chesham United, Southend United and Torquay United.
- On finishing his playing career, Currie joined Sheffield United as Football In the Community Co-ordinator and he has remained there ever since.
"I will celebrate 20 years in the job on February 1 2008. We run soccer schools, birthday parties and coaching in the local area. I really enjoy putting something back into football and it is great to see the kids enjoying themselves on our courses." QPR

- [Currie was one of the handful of players profiled (along with Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles and two or three other 1970s flair players) in Robert Steen's The Mavericks: English Football When Flair Wore Flares]

See also:
- Dave Barton's Queens Park Rangers FC Profile of Currie's time at QPR

- Tony Currie Career Statistics

- Wikidpedia's Tony Currie Profile -


Another January 1 QPR Birthday: Ex-QPR defender Brian Law turns Thirty Nine:
- Born January 1, 1970-

Injuries wrecked the career of QPR's Welsh center half, Brian Law who was at QPR from 1987 to 1994 coming through the youth team. Went on to play also for Wolves and then Millwall. -

Blog Archive