QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, March 11, 2012

QPR Report Sunday: Bolton Reports...Angry QPR Fans...The FA Statement

- Series of Zimbio Photos from Bolton vs QPR

- QPR REPORT MESSAGEBOARD - Visit the cutting-edge, football-only, QPR Report messageboard (and see items you won't usually read elsewhere
- Visit the truly-fascinating Bushman QPR Photo Archives


- "On This Day in Football: March 11....Fifty Years Ago: Farewell to Accrington Stanley (with later-QPR, Mike Ferguson on that Team)

- VIDEO Links from Talksport "AMAZING behind the scenes football films - Man United, Man City, QPR, England, West Brom, Gazza and more"

- FA and Rules of Ownership of Football Clubs

- Top 30 Highest Paid Managers

The FA Statement (Amazing how they can put this statement out within half an hour...But can't "Resolve" the John Terry Matter in half a year!

FA Statement on Goal Line Technology

Saturday, 10 March, 2012

Re-iteration of The FA's desire to see Goal Line Technology introduced.

Following last week’s meeting of IFAB (International Football Association Board) The FA would like to reiterate our strong desire to see Goal Line Technology introduced as soon as possible.

The FA has been a leading proponent of Goal Line Technology for many years. We will continue to press for its introduction once further independent testing is complete later this year, so that anyone wishing to introduce the technology is able to do so at the earliest possible opportunity. FA

Dave McIntyre - West London Sport - Angry fans target QPR squad after defeat

QPR supporters and players were involved in an angry altercation at Euston following the team’s defeat against Bolton.

The Rangers squad were confronted after returning from the north-west by train.

Onlookers said forward Jamie Mackie took exception to comments from a group of fans, some of whom appeared to have been drinking heavily.

Mark Hughes was a target of their frustration. Rangers have won only one league match since the Welshman was installed as manager following the sacking of Neil Warnock in January.

One R’s fan, who was travelling with his six-year-old son, said: “It was horrible to witness.

“I’d say it was three to five people who were really having a go at them and one guy in particular who was squaring up to Jamie Mackie and Clint Hill and clearly looking for a fight.

“None of the players reacted as far as I could see. I saw Djibril Cisse trying to calm people down and then someone leading the players away.

“They made their way to a coach that was waiting for them and a much bigger group of fans gathered around the coach to basically applaud the team and show their support.”

A club spokesman played down the incident, saying: “Some fans were having a go at Mark Hughes and Jamie stood up for the manager.

“It was a case of him saying ‘Come on guys, we’re all in this together’ rather than anything else. It wasn’t anything serious.”

QPR’s loss at the Reebok Stadium saw them slide into the bottom three and leaves them on course for relegation despite major spending in the transfer market.

Their daunting run-in to the season includes matches against Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal and both Manchester clubs. West London Sport



Posted on: Sat 10 Mar 2012

Mark Hughes was left licking his wounds, as Rangers succumbed to a last-gasp defeat against Bolton.

Ivan Klasnic bagged an 86th minute winner for the hosts, but the big talking point revolved around the officials' failure to award Clint Hill a perfectly good 'goal,' when the assistant referee on the far side of the stadium failed to spot the ball had clearly crossed the line with the score at 0-0.

A desperately disappointed Hughes, who saw Djibril Cisse cancel out Darren Pratley's opener, told www.qpr.co.uk: "I gave myself a little bit of time to calm down before seeing the press, but I'm still desperately disappointed.

"The officials really let themselves down today.

"Martin Atkinson is a good referee, I acknowledge that, but he was hugely let down by his assistants today.

"How they missed the Hill header which crossed the line is beyond me. Everyone else in the ground knew it was a goal.

"That's why the assistant is in the position he is in from corner kicks, so how has he missed it?

"Someone has told me the FA have released a statement saying they're fully behind the bid for goal-line technology, which does nothing for our situation - that's laughable.

"The timing of that statement staggers me.

"They're just covering themselves because they know how much criticism they'll get for the displays of officials that they supply.

"All we want is a fair crack of the whip and we didn't get that again today.

"I feel we should have had two penalties, but the assistant on the near side had lost his nerve by then.

"We've benefitted from an equaliser that was slightly offside, but that doesn't matter.

"The key decision, at the key moment, went against us. All we're asking for is a fair wicket, which we're not getting at the moment."

Hughes added: "You shouldn't underestimate the importance of the first goal in the Premier League, especially as an away side.

"It's vital and had he given the 'goal,' it would have given us a major boost.

"The significance of scoring first away from home is crucial."

Rangers have an eleven day break now before they play host to Liverpool at Loftus Road and Hughes admits it's now his job to life the R's players.

"It's my job now to lift the lads," he said.

"We're under no illusions that we've got a difficult run-in, but the circumstances today will bring us even closer together.

"Today wasn't about the football.

"We did okay without reaching the heights we're capable of, but we didn't get the support of the officials throughout the game."



Hughes rages and FA step in as QPR are denied 'goal'

Bolton Wanderers 2 Queens Park Rangers 1: Bolton take their chance after Hill controversy leads to further calls for goalline technology

Latest in Premier League

Hard-earned wisdom helps Hodgson plot United's downfall

It will be of little consolation to Mark Hughes if the farcical decision not to award Clint Hill what was a clear first-half goal for QPR at the Reebok helps nudge the introduction of goalline technology ever closer, and he was rightly furious at his side's lot last night.

The game was goalless after 20 minutes when the full-back met Joey Barton's corner and powered a header that was desperately clawed away by Bolton's goalkeeper, Adam Bogdan. The ball had clearly crossed the line, something television replays confirmed, but referee Martin Atkinson was let down by his assistant Bob Pollock, who missed it.

It could have been a springboard for victory in this relegation scrap but instead was a prelude to defeat and QPR replaced Bolton in the bottom three. Bizarrely, the FA released a statement during the half-time interval saying: "Following last week's meeting of the IFAB [International Football Association Board] the FA would like to reiterate our strong desire to see goalline technology introduced as soon as possible."

That added fuel to Hughes' fire. "All you ask for is the key decisions in games to be judged correctly and they weren't all day long," he said. "The laughable thing is that the FA have come out and said that they are in favour of technology at half-time. That's absolutely ludicrous that they come out and try to protect the poor performances of their officials."

Barton was quickly tweeting his own frustrations. "Big decisions all wrong. Ref saying 'don't blame us blame the FA for not having goal line technology!' We have to be the unluckiest team ever this season."

QPR's co-owner Amit Bhatia joined in, tweeting: "Gutted. the worst possible outcome. We were the better side and didn't deserve that. Too many mistakes like that from officials to be tolerated. Disgusted."

Yet before the controversy, Rangers had started brightly. Djibril Cissé clipped a wonderfully weighted pass into Bobby Zamora's path and his strike thundered against the bar. However, after managing to weather the storm and survive the Hill incident, a beleaguered-looking Wanderers took the lead on 37 minutes. After patient build-up play involving Mark Davies and Martin Petrov, Tim Ream crossed for an unmarked Darren Pratley to plant home a header from inside the six-yard box.

That underlined the fight Hughes has on his hands if he is to keep his team in the top flight. Although poor officiating saw Rangers hard done-by, they failed to score while on top and lacked the concentration to see out the half. Armand Traoré was the culprit for the opening goal, reacting too late to prevent the inevitable.

Hughes prowled the touchline like a man possessed, incensed at the injustice of the goal that wasn't and the surrendering of tactical advantage. He looked furious and re-emerged from half-time with a team full of renewed vigour. It took them just two second-half minutes to level the scores. Shaun Wright-Phillips found a pocket of space and his deflected through ball found Cissé who, with more than a hint of offside, coolly slotted past Bogdan.

For Bolton, Sam Ricketts curled an effort over, substitute Chris Eagles had a free-kick blocked and the impressive Ryo Miyaichi was perilously close to going clean through but for the crucial intervention of Traoré. Bolton manager Owen Coyle – who agreed with Hughes over Hill's "goal" – replaced Pratley with Ivan Klasnic and it worked a treat as he scored a late winner. "We believed it was a game to be won and as a manager sometimes your substitutions come off. We were more positive than we had been, with two natural wingers on the pitch," said Coyle.

Miyaichi, a loanee from Arsenal, showed great awareness to hold the ball up and slipped Klasnic clear to side-foot beyond Paddy Kenny. Hughes was angered again when Atkinson failed to spot that Nedum Onuoha was tripped inside the area in stoppage time. "They missed a handball in the area as well," he said. "In the end I think [the assistant, Pollock] completely lost his nerve to make any decision. In fairness to Martin Atkinson he is one of the better referees and was let down by his assistants."

Bolton (4-5-1): Bogdan; Steinsson, Wheather, Ream, Ricketts; Miyaichi, M Davies, Reo-Coker, Pratley (Klasnic, 79), Petrov (Eagles, 65); Ngog (Muamba, 89).

QPR (4-3-1-2): Kenny; Onuoha, Ferdinand, Hill, Traore (Taiwo, 79); Diakite, Derry (Mackie, 79), Barton; Wright-Phillips (Buzacky, 79); Zamora, Cisse.

Referee Martin Atkinson.

Man of the match Miyaichi (Bolton).

Match rating 4/10. Independent


Mark Hughes calls FA response to Bolton goalline blunder 'laughable'
• QPR manager scoffs at renewed call for goalline technology
• Blames assistant referees for not spotting ball over the line

Share 1 reddit this
Richard Gibson at Reebok Stadium
guardian.co.uk, Saturday 10 March 2012 14.45 EST
Article history

QPR manager Mark Hughes looks on in anger from the touchline at the Reebok Stadium. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images
Mark Hughes, the QPR manager, rounded on the Football Association on Saturday for what he claimed was an attempt to deflect attention from the match officials' "poor" performances in his struggling side's controversial 2-1 defeat at Bolton.

Hughes was outraged that the referee's assistants did not spot that Clint Hill's 20th-minute effort had clearly crossed the line and claimed it was "laughable" that the FA's response to the latest 'ghost goal' controversy was to renew calls for goalline technology.

Although he absolved the referee, Martin Atkinson, of any blame, Hughes was scathing in his criticism of Bob Pollock and Jake Collin. Pollock failed to spot that Hill's header was two yards over the line before being scooped out by the Bolton goalkeeper, Adam Bogdan, while Collin upheld an equaliser for Hughes's team two minutes after the break despite Djibril Cissé appearing to be offside.

"The laughable thing is that the FA have come out in support of goalline technology within an hour of the game finishing," said Hughes. "It is absolutely ludicrous that they try to protect the poor performances of the officials that they supply. Until it comes in, actually do the job that the assistants are supposed to do: which is check whether or not the ball has gone over the line.

"You ask for the key moments and key decisions in games to be judged correctly. In fairness to Martin Atkinson, he is acknowledged as one of the better referees, and his performance was OK. I just felt he was let down by his assistants. They missed the key moments you have to get.

"They even got our goal wrong because that was offside, so they haven't covered themselves in glory at all. They missed a penalty, a hand ball in the area, and in the end the guy on my side [Collin] completely lost his nerve to make any decision."

Contrary to Hughes's claims, it is the Professional Game Match Officials Board that designates who officiates at matches in consultation with the Premier League. The FA merely reacted to the controversy, as it was being analysed by Sky Sports' expert panel at half-time, by reiterating their desire to see goalline technology introduced at the earliest opportunity. "The FA has been a leading proponent of Goal Line Technology for many years," read a statement. "We will continue to press for its introduction once further independent testing is complete later this year, so that anyone wishing to introduce the technology is able to do so at the earliest possible opportunity."

The International Football Association Board are to decide on whether to adopt goalline technology into the global game at a specially convened meeting in Kiev on 2 July, after last weekend giving two companies – Goalref and the British-based HawkEye – the green light to carry out further testing on their products.

This latest episode contributed to QPR plunging into the bottom three with 10 matches remaining.

The QPR captain, Joey Barton, tweeted: "Seminal moment in the game. We have to be the unluckiest team ever this season. When ur down there, u rarely get rub of the green. Big decisions all wrong. Ref saying 'don't blame us blame, the FA for not having goal line technology!' Sort of sums it all up." Guardian

GUARDIAN/Richard Gibson

Ivan Klasnic clinches Bolton win after QPR denied lead in goalline row

Ivan Klasnic's first Premier League goal for three months settled this showdown between two relegation rivals, although it was not the one being talked about as both clubs took stock afterwards. It was Clint Hill's phantom one in the first half that consumed the thoughts of all as they departed.

"From our point of view to have that clear goal chalked off was a significant moment for us," said the Queens Park Rangers manager, Mark Hughes, of Hill's header that clearly crossed the line. "Don't underestimate the significance of scoring first. We were the away side, we are at the wrong end of the table, and to score first would have been crucial for us. Not getting a decision of that magnitude correct impacted on what we could get out of the game."

"We came with a positive attitude because I know that when you're at the bottom draws don't really move you. You need to win games. We deserved something out of the game, but all we ask for is a level playing field, so that if we get beaten fairly and squarely we will hold our hands up. We are big enough and brave enough to do that. But we are getting players sent off after 30 minutes, having penalty awards not given, and goals chalked off when they should be given.''.

"The situation we find ourselves in, we have to demand that their performance is better. We can't have the key moments in games being officiated the way they are at the moment."

There were words of sympathy from the opposite dug-out. "There is nobody who is a bigger advocate of goalline technology than me – the sooner it's brought in the better," said Owen Coyle. "I can understand Mark Hughes's frustration but I have to credit my goalkeeper, Adam Bogdan, because it was a wonderful palm out."

The moment of injustice came after 20 minutes when centre-back Hill met Joey Barton's corner from the left with a glancing close-range header that Bogdan clawed back into play via the underside of the bar from a position two feet over the line.

Barton's delivery followed a pantomime prelude – first, a corner had been awarded despite the last touch being a brush against Djibril Cissé's shirt, then Barton toyed with the referee, Martin Atkinson, by attempting to deliver the dead-ball from outside the arc – but humour was in short supply as Hill curtailed initial celebration. Assistant Bob Pollock – the official who enraged Tottenham by ruling out a legitimate Emmanuel Adebayor goal at Stoke for offside earlier this season – shook his head. So did Hughes as he departed at the interval. But for a contrasting reason.

By then, the visitors were behind courtesy of Darren Pratley's 37th-minute header. They should not and would not have been but for sharper finishing or better fortune: Barton's measured sidefooter deflected wide, Bobby Zamora's volley from an acute angle kissed the crossbar and Shaun Wright-Phillips ballooned high and wide.

To add to the drama, QPR levelled two minutes after the re-start through Cissé's predatory flick of his right boot. Everyone, apart from Atkinson's other official Jake Collin, agreed that the French international was offside as Wright-Phillips dinked through the heart of Bolton's defence.

Both managers made attacking changes in the final 10 minutes in a bid to secure all three points and although the visitors were denied three times in one manic late penalty area scramble, it was Coyle's decision to throw on the Croatian Klasnic that proved decisive, as he stroked in Ryo Miyaichi's cute assist four minutes from the end.

"It was sublime skill from Ryo, and when Klasnic goes in one on one with the goalkeeper there's only one thing that's going to happen," said Coyle, whose side climbed out of the bottom three as a consequence. ''We have to kick on in the last 10 games.''


Ivan Klasnic came from the bench to grab a late winner for Bolton Wanderers, who recorded a 2-1 victory over QPR at the Reebok Stadium.

In front of the live Sky Sports cameras, the Croat struck with just four minutes left on the clock to hand the Trotters three priceless points in this Barclays Premier League basement battle.

Earlier, controversy reigned after just 18 minutes, after Rangers were denied a seemingly legitimate goal when Clint Hill's header from a Joey Barton corner appeared to cross the goal-line - as video replays would later support.

Bolton seized on that fortune and where ahead in the 37th minute, when Darren Pratley headed home Martin's Petrov expert cross.

Rangers restored parity three minutes after half-time, when Djibril Cisse tucked home a Shaun Wright-Phillips through ball.

R's boss Mark Hughes made two changes to his side for the trip to Bolton, with Samba Diakite and Cisse both returning from suspension to replace Akos Buzsaky and the injured Adel Taarabt (hamstring) respectively.

That saw Rangers revert to a 4-3-1-2 formation - as opposed to the 4-2-3-1 deployed in last weekend's 1-1 draw at home to Everton - with Paddy Kenny in goal.

Nedum Onuoha, Anton Ferdinand, Hill - making his 400th career league start - and Armand Traore lined up in defence.

Hoops skipper Barton, Shaun Derry and Diakite occupied defensive roles in midfield, behind the more advanced Wright-Phillips.

Bobby Zamora partnered Cisse in attack

In their changed colours of complete mango, it's probably fair to say that Rangers began on the back foot.

Despite enjoying the greater possession, however, Bolton's only real opportunity in the opening stanza came in the shape of David Ngog's wayward shot, after skilfully turning marker Hill.

But Wanderers did go much closer on 14 minutes. Ryo Miyaichi's corner was met by the head of David Wheater, with the defender's subsequent effort cleared off the goal-line by Zamora.

Play switched to the other end just a minute later. Passes were exchanged between Traore, Cisse and Wright-Phillips before the latter found Barton, who saw his deflected effort go just inches past the post.

Rangers rattled the crossbar in the 17th minute. Cisse's deft chip fell perfectly for Zamora, who smashed an effort off the underside of the crossbar and wide.

Controversy struck two minutes later, after the R's were denied a legitimate goal - as video replays would later support.

Barton's corner from the left was to a tee for Hill, whose bullet header appeared to cross the line before Adam Bogdan dived to palm the ball away from goal.

Nevertheless, the Hoops still continued to drive forward.

Wright-Phillips was unlucky not to do better with an effort on 23 minutes, seeing his half-volley from the edge of the area whistle just past the left-hand post.

Four minutes later, Pratley would also go close, seeing his shot deflect off Diakite before going inches wide of the target.

Pratley wouldn't be denied at the second time of asking, however, firing the Trotters into the lead eight minutes before the half-time break.

Miyaichi's free-kick was eventually worked out to Petrov, whose pinpoint cross was thumped home by the head of Pratley.

The R's almost responded moments later. Cisse's clever back heel freed Wright-Phillips in the area, who could only shoot high and wide of the target.

Rangers almost put themselves on terms on the stroke of half-time.

Zamora and Cisse combined before the latter played a clever through pass to Onuoha - who, charging in front the right, drilled a low effort straight at the legs of Bogdan.

Much of the talk at the interval surrounded 'the goal that never was'. Indeed, the R's could count themselves unfortunate to be behind at half-time.

Perhaps justice was done, therefore, when another disputed decision helped QPR on their way to drawing level in the 48th minute.

Back from a three-match ban, Cisse was the man of the moment, latching on to Wright-Phillips' deflected through pass - that in a seemingly offside position - before prodding home past Bogdan.

Cisse was handed an opportunity to double his account 11 minutes later, latching on to a Diakite pass before firing a low effort straight at Bogdan - albeit from an acute angle.

At the other end, Ricketts cut in from the right before curling an effort just past the upright from distance.

But Rangers were undoubtedly the stronger force in the second period, growing in confidence as the half wore on.

And with a greater amount of confidence came more possession, as QPR asked questions of the Wanderers rearguard with a flurry of corners.

This was also now a very open spectacle - even more so with just over ten minutes left to play, after Hughes opted for a treble substitution to replace Derry, Wright-Phillips and Traore with Buzsaky, Jamie Mackie and Taye Taiwo respectively.

That change so nearly had the desired effect on 81 minutes. A melee in the box saw Cisse, Diakite twice and Mackie all force desperate blocks - the latter of which was deflected over the bar.

But it was another substitute in the form of Bolton's Klasnic who would have the final say on 86 minutes.

Miyaichi controlled a long ball upfield before putting Klasnic clean through on goal, who then slid home the decider into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

Bolton Wanderers: Bogdan,Steinsson, Petrov (Eagles 71), M Davies, Ricketts, Reo-Coker, Pratley (Klasnic 80), Ngog (Muamba 89), Miyaichi, Wheater, Ream.

Subs: Jaaskelainen, K Davies, Knight, Sordell.

Goals: Pratley (37), Klasnic (86)

Bookings: Pratley (23), Wheater (30)

QPR: Kenny, Diakite, Hill, Derry (Buzsaky 79), Traore (Taiwo 80), Barton, Cisse, Wright-Phillips (Mackie 79), Ferdinand, Onuoha, Zamora.

Subs: Cerny, Gabbidon, Bothroyd, Young.

Goals: Cisse (48)

Bookings: Onuoha (61), Diakite (84)

Referee: Mr M Atkinson

Attendance: 21,551 QPR

For those wondering re the Flags at Half Mast at Bolton Game (RIP)

Bolton Official Site - Flags At Half-Mast For QPR Game

Posted on: Sat 10 Mar 2012

Following the 66th year anniversary of the Burnden Park disaster on Friday, the flags at the Reebok Stadium will be lowered to half-mast for the duration of today (Saturday 10 March) as a mark of respect.

On 9 March 1946, 33 spectators lost their lives at the club's former home during a FA Cup quarter-final tie between Bolton Wanderers and Stoke City as a result of crowd congestion at the Railway Embankment end of the ground.

Each year the football club remembers those who died and the families of those who were affected by this tragic accident.

The Book of Remembrance showing the names of the 33 victims can be viewed outside the Community Office at the Reebok Stadium.

In 2002, a commemorative plaque was unveiled by the late Nat Lofthouse in the entrance hall at ASDA in Bolton - the exact site where the disaster took place 66 years ago.

- Trauma Flashback: Year Ago QPR and Gianni Paladini Charged over the Faurlin Transfer

- QPR's Official Supporters Club (OSC) - Minutes of (Relatively) Recent Meeting

- Five Years Ago: "QPR Facing New Crisis" as Club Faced Relegation Fight

- QPR's LatestAccounts:

Blog Archive