QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"QPR's" (Chelsea's) Jimmy Smith Profiled - re Chelsea & QPR

-
BBC - Growing up with champions Chelsea -By Jonathan Stevenson
For a teenager coming through the youth system at Chelsea, you could be forgiven for thinking that even getting close to the first-team squad is mission impossible.
Yet 19-year-old Jimmy Smith, currently enjoying a successful loan spell with QPR, believes he can carve out a career for himself at Stamford Bridge.
The exciting young winger gives BBC Sport an insight into life with the Premiership champions and reveals why he believes he will get his chance to shine.
GETTING YOURSELF NOTICED
I joined QPR on loan as part of my development. I've been at Chelsea since I was about eight, so it's about going out there and experiencing something new.
I've found it easy settling, the lads have welcomed me from the start and I can't ask for any more than that, I've just tried to do my job to the best of my ability.
SMITH FACTFILE
Born: Newham, on 7 January, 1987
Clubs: Chelsea (one game), QPR (12 games/five goals)
International: Represented England under-19s & under-17s
My loan ends on Boxing Day and we'll see how it goes until then. I'm just concentrating hard on every game and trying to put some good performances in.
I know there is always someone at Chelsea watching every game I play for QPR so I can't afford to play badly, there's too much at stake.
I've felt the benefit of playing regular first-team football, it's a definite step-up from what I'm used to.
It's all about trying to adapt to your new surroundings and I think I've responded quite well to everything up until now.
TRAINING WITH THE CHELSEA STARS
I made my Chelsea debut in their last game of last season at Newcastle. It was amazing - just travelling up with the squad was great but to get on in front of more than 50,000 Geordies was incredible.
The players are great, they are always trying to help me and they just told me to take my chance and enjoy the occasion.
Personally, I think young players at Chelsea have got as good a chance as anyone anywhere else of breaking into the first team.
If you're good enough you'll get your opportunity, it's down to your own ability and if the manager believes in you he'll put you in.
I feel that having people like Frank Lampard and Michael Ballack there is making me a better player because I'm learning from the very best - you can't ask for more than that.
It's different at each club I suppose. At another club you might get in the team younger because they haven't got as many players, but I've got big names in front of me and I have to keep learning and improving.
MEETING UP WITH MOURINHO
Since I came to QPR I have often been back to the Chelsea training ground, just to see my mates and stuff.
I always see Jose Mourinho when I'm there and he's always telling me I'm doing really well.
He tells me to keep going and keep playing well for QPR and we'll just wait and see what happens.
Jose is a great manager, I've learned a lot off him and he's a good person to be around. You learn something new every day off him and it's obvious why he's won so many things.
He's fantastic with the younger players too, he makes a real effort. Most people think he just blanks us but he doesn't, he's really approachable and he'll always sit down and try to make conversation with you.
He's a very friendly guy and you wouldn't hesitate to talk to him, about your game or anything else.
WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS
When I've spoken to Jose he's not really told me what the future might hold for me at Chelsea, he just wants me to focus on how I'm doing at QPR.
But you've got to have goals and definitely one of mine is to get back to Chelsea and break into the first-team squad.
I don't know when that might be, but I would like to say I will. I just know that it's only down to me and how much I want it.
I've really enjoyed being at QPR and if both managers wanted to extend my loan, it would help my development even more and that's what I want as I'm on a learning curve.
John is quite similar to Jose in some ways, how he goes about training and match preparation, so things haven't changed too much for me.
John has been in the game a long time and he's said some nice things about me and that means a lot.
All I want to do is repay him by doing my best for QPR and that means scoring goals and creating goals and getting them as high up the Championship table as I can.

BBC

Blog Archive