QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gareth Ainsworth Looks to QPR's New Season, Signings and Injuries

-
GARETH AINSWORTH - KILBURN TIMES
Step on the Gaz

IT may be the start of a new season, but I'll be setting no targets - either for myself or the team.

I'd hoped to make it back in time for the new season, but that isn't going to happen after I broke down during light rehab recently.

But the gaffer said 'there's 46 games coming up and, if you miss six, we've still got 40 to go'. The physios have a job restraining me because I want to get out there, but I've got to be patient.

Unfortunately I won't be on my own in the treatment room after what happened to Walts the other night. I'll be doing my utmost to keep his spirits up - and he's got 16 years on me, so he should heal a bit more quickly!

It's hard to believe he's only 19 - there have been one or two comments about dodgy passports flying about - but I put it down to him being a big, strong northerner.

Once he gets fit, he'll be a huge benefit to the team and so will our other new arrivals.

I know Chris Barker from my Cardiff days, he always gave me a rough time on the wing, so I'm glad we're on the same side again. I also have massive respect for John Curtis - and not just because he played for Blackburn - but they give us plenty of options in the full-back positions.

It's a joy to have Michael Mancienne back - we know all about him - and the same with Lee Camp, who I think would be bargain of the year if it wasn't for Ben Sahar.

Ben's so level-headed and down to earth, he pulls into the kind of positions that experienced centre-forwards do and it's a privilege to be playing with someone who's made his international debut at such a young age.

We've also got fantastic back-up staff here, people who have been in the Premier League and when you see that you realise what ambition we have at QPR.

Obviously it's paramount that we improve on last year, but no-one will be setting any targets other than to try and win every game we play. The gaffer sets his targets week by week and that's a professional attitude, in my opinion.

Bristol City is a tough start - they were always pretty much a Championship outfit anyway - but everyone feels confident of getting a result there and setting the tone for the new season.

I think the three teams who came down will be close to the top, Watford and Sheffield United in particular, but I'd be surprised if there are any Colchester-type surprises this season. If there are, let's hope it's QPR providing them! Kilburn Times

Also: Neil Warnock Looks to New Season:
Robson can lead my old club straight back to the big time
By Neil Warnock - Independent


The Championship looks a lot more open than the top flight; in fact, it promises to be thetightest division of all. For automatic promotion I look no further than two of the clubs who came down last season: Sheffield United (18th in the Premier League last season) and Charlton Athletic (19th). Bryan Robson, who succeeded meduring the summer at Bramall Lane, has added James Beattie (signed from Everton for £4m), Gary Naysmith (Everton, £1m) and Billy Sharp (Scunthorpe, £2m) to the squad and I believe if anyone can finish above the Blades they will be guaranteed automatic promotion.

..... But I can't see anything more than survival for them, Queen's Park Rangers (18th) and Colchester United (10th). All these clubs need something to spark them and I think John Gregory, the QPR manager, is the only chance I see of them staying up. Last year I thought Geraint Williams at Colchester was the manager of the season, helped by fantastic home form. They will need that again. It will be interesting to see how Teddy Sheringham (West Ham, free) fares. What a fantastic professional he's been and I think it is great that he would even consider going to a club like Colchester. He's obviously not going there for the surrounds. It means he really does just want to play football, which is a credit to him.

The Colchester of this season could be Blackpool (League One, 3rd). Whenever I saw Simon Grayson's team they played some fantastic football and they may surprise all the pundits. Except me, I hope. Just down the road Preston North End (7th)have punched above their weight for years and Paul Simpson will have his hands full repeating that, but I think they'll do well again.. .Independent

Blog Archive