QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Bosnich Thanks QPR and Wants to Return to Playing while Australian Goalkeeper Justin Pasfield also Reportedly Training With QPR

-
[In the midst of the article, Bosnich (besides thanking QPR and praising Nick Ward, says that Australian goalkeeper, Justin Pasfield has been training with QPR.]

Telegraph (Australia) The return of Bosnich - By David Davutovic

FIFTEEN years after departing our shores, former Socceroos keeper Mark Bosnich says he would consider returning to relaunch his professional career in the A-League.

Although Bosnich has "unfinished business'' in England, he has not ruled out playing in the A-League and is aware of the guest player regulations.

Perth Glory yesterday declared their interest in the former Aston Villa, Manchester United and Chelsea star, who has lost 17kg since starting training with Queens Park Rangers.

Bosnich ended his five-year soccer exile in September when he played for QPR's reserve team.

"I'm pretty keen to stay here in England, but maybe a guest stint in the A-League would be good,'' Bosnich told The Sunday Telegraph.

"I don't want to sound disrespectful to the A-League, but I've got a few things to tie up here, on and off the pitch - I owe it to myself.

"But I would never rule anything out and I would listen. That is if I was even lucky enough to get an offer.

"I am not in a position to pick and choose. I would understand why people would have doubts.''

But Bosnich continues to take giant strides towards resuming a "normal'' life and playing professionally again.

The Sunday Telegraph can also reveal that Bosnich will commentate for Fox Sports when the Socceroos face Nigeria next Sunday in London. He has also made first contact with former Socceroos team-mate Graham Arnold.

Bosnich, who last played for the Socceroos against Hungary in 2000, could not even complete his first session with QPR.

"I've shed 17kg since then and I'm 3kg off my ideal playing weight. And I have lost 5kg since the reserves game,'' he said.

"The most important thing is that I'm healthy.''

THE GLORY ROAD

Perth Glory coach Dave Mitchell yesterday emphatically declared his interest in the 35-year-old keeper who was one of the best in Europe before a positive test to cocaine derailed his career five years ago.

"I would definitely entertain the idea of signing Mark,'' said Mitchell, who will have the backing of cashed-up club owners.

"It's certainly worth looking at because Tando Velaphi goes away (with the Olyroos). I played with Mark in the Socceroos and while I am not close with him, I have a lot of respect for the guy. On his day, he was in the top three keepers in the world.''

DRUGS AND DARKNESS

Bosnich's glittering career unravelled in September of 2002 with the positive cocaine test.

He was suspended for nine months and descended into a steep downward spiral - becoming depressed, reclusive and consuming as much as 10grams of cocaine a day.

While some A-League coaches remain cool on the idea for various reasons, Bosnich kept a clean sheet in his one and only hit-out for QPR.

"I can't thank QPR enough for helping me along,'' he said.


"(QPR keeper coach) Ed de Goey has been excellent. We weren't the best of friends at Chelsea, we had disagreements, but we have moved on and he has been fantastic.''


REBUILDING BRIDGES

Bosnich wants to visit the Socceroos at their London training base and is excited about sitting behind the microphone to call their game.

"It's like starting all over again,'' he said.

"I was disenchanted with the game and I went into hiatus for four years. But you come to your senses and realise you're lucky. I was taking my health for granted. But this whole experience and the support I'm getting is really humbling.''

Bosnich has missed calls from his former Sydney Croatia and Socceroos team-mate Arnold. He finally got in touch on Thursday.

"Arnie texted me and he's tried to call, but I wasn't ready or in the right frame of mind to talk,'' Bosnich said.

"When I finally rang Arnie, I told him how well Nick Ward was doing and how impressed I was with (former Sydney FC keeper) Justin Pasfield (who has been training with QPR).'' [See Justin Pasfield Profile]

Arnold, who answered the unexpected call on Thursday, backed a Bosnich comeback and said he would "train the house down'' to play professionally again.

"We had a brief chat and once he knows his fitness levels are right, he was talking about playing and coming back in the A-League,'' Arnold said.

"The name Mark Bosnich still holds up well for what he did as a keeper, but it shouldn't get him a contract. He has to be fit enough, still have his reflexes and generally be up to scratch.

"Unfortunately I didn't have contact with him for quite a while, although I tried to contact him many times over the years.

"It would be great if someone from FFA contacted him because he has been the best keeper we've ever produced. He's had his hard times and he's been punished big time.''

Bosnich said he has not spoken to anyone else in Australian soccer, just his parents, other family and friends.

"I spoke to my parents, we didn't speak for a while. I'll give them another call this weekend,'' he said.

"My sister Tania and brother-in-law Jason have been fantastic. Also my little cousin Evette, she came over at a crucial time.''

FINDING THE LIGHT

Bosnich said a friend, who wishes to remain anonymous, had been a "shining light'' and helped him escape from the dark hole he had dug for himself.

"A lot of things I did were wrong,'' he acknowledged.

Fox Sports commentator Simon Hill, who will join Bosnich behind the microphone for the Socceroos game, endorsed an A-League stint.

"The A-League is a great stepping stone, rather than being third keeper at QPR,'' Hill said.

Football Federation Australia confirmed that any club could sign Bosnich inside the salary cap, but they would have to approve any guest player or marquee application. Telegraph (Australia)

Blog Archive