QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, November 29, 2009

QPR Report Sunday - Compilation of QPR vs Coventry Match Reports and Managerial Comments

-QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!...QPR REPORT UPDATED THROUGHOUT THE DAY.... [Note: Until December 1, QPR Report may be less-frequently updated! In the interim, check the QPR Report Messageboard for latest updates]

-Also Check out the "cutting-edge" combination messageboard and quasi-blog QPR Report Messageboard. If your interest is constantly-updated QPR-related news; QPR nostalgia; and items on some other broader football-related isssues: QPR Report Messageboard is one such site. All opinions welcome!

- FA Cup Third Round Draw today (Draw Made just before 4pm GMT)

- Forty Years Ago today: Bolton 6 QPR 4


QPR Official Site
Rangers and Coventry City both took a share of the spoils in an enthralling encounter at Loftus Road.
The Sky Blues had taken an early lead - albeit against the run of play - when Leon Best nodded home Patrick Van Aanholt's free-kick.
Though Rangers didn't falter, and they found an equalising goal of the game when Alejandro Faurlin's exquisite lobbed pass was tucked away by Jay Simpson.
Despite some resistance from the Sky Blues after the interval, the R's weren't to be deterred, as Buzsaky thumped home when free inside the area.

Richard Wood nodded the visitors level 10 minutes from time.
With the draw, Rangers now sit in fifth spot in the Coca-Cola Championship.
R's boss Jim Magilton made three changes to the side that suffered a 2-0 defeat at Doncaster last weekend.
After coming through 65 minutes for the Reserves in midweek, Fitz Hall came into the R's central defence in place of Kaspars Gorkss.
Elsewhere, Adel Taarabt started at the expense of Steven Reid, while Tommy Williams made way for Gary Borrowdale.
So, with Radek Cerny in goal, Mikele Leigertwood, Matt Connolly, Hall and Borrowdale started in defence.
Buzsaky and Taarabt started out wide in midfield, supported by Ben Watson and Faurlin from the middle of the park.
Wayne Routledge partnered Simpson in attack.
In front of a watching Flavio Briatore and his Formula One racing driver guest Sebastian Vettel, both sides were on the offensive from the first whistle.
Rangers were first on the attack when Watson played a beautiful, sweeping pass out to Taarabt on the left.
However, though the Tottenham loanee had time and space to shoot when free just inside the area, he could only drag his shot wide of Kieran Westwood's left-hand post.
Play then switched to the other end, where the Sky Blues were unlucky not to find the first goal of the game with a lovely, flowing move.
After a clever pass was played up to Clinton Morrison on the edge of the area, he held off his marker before laying the ball into the path of Van Aanholt.
Though, with the ball seemingly heading for the bottom corner net, Cerny got down low to brilliantly tip the Chelsea loanee's shot away to safety.
This was a fast-paced encounter, typified when play soon reverted to the other end and Taarabt played a delicious pass to Routledge on the right.
With three men to beat, Routledge almost obliged, breezing past a couple before unleashing a shot for goal, though Stephen Wright put in a goal-saving block to prevent the ball from finding the net.
The R's were now in control of this entertaining affair, and when Buzsaky's corner from the left was deflected out to the edge of the area, Watson fired just over.
However, when the visitors won a free-kick from deep, Coventry stormed into the lead with a goal against the run of play.
Van Aanholt it was with the assist, as his teasing ball into the penalty box was met by an unmarked Best - and the Sky Blues were in front.
Rangers weren't too despondent after the setback.
After great link-up play between Routledge and Taarabt, the former squared to Watson on the edge of the area, though he blasted just wide.
Coventry then almost took a two-goal lead when David Bell crossed superbly for Best, though the former Southampton frontman could only head wide of the goal.
Rangers were far the superior force in this encounter by now though, and they got their just rewards for a stunning passing move soon after with an equalising goal.
Passes were exchanged between Watson and Faurlin before the Argentinean playmaker played a gorgeous ball over the top for Simpson.
Unmarked, Simpson stayed cool to drill the ball into the bottom corner into the net - putting the R's firmly back into the match.
Just short of the break, the home side missed two glorious opportunities to take a first-half lead.
First, Routledge drove into the area before firing straight at Westwood, before a brilliant cross from Borrowdale out wide on the left to Simpson was headed just over the target.
As the second half got underway, the R's maintained the attacking momentum that they finished the first period with.
Taarabt drove at the visitors' defence before unleashing a low shot on target, but Westwood got down well to claim the effort.
Moments later, confusion among the host's ranks saw the ball fall to Jack Cork just inside the area, though Borrowdale got across well to turn the ball away for a corner.
Rangers continued to press their opponents, not least when Leigertwood found the ball out on the right before cutting in and dragging a shot just wide.
Soon after, Taarabt almost scored what would have been a goal of the season contender.
After a corner was deflected into his path, the Spurs midfielder did what no-one expected when he dinked a speculative lob over the keeper - but his shot cannoned off the bar to safety.
This was becoming somewhat of the Taarabt show, and soon after he beat one man before dragging a shot inches wide.
Rangers were more than knocking on the door for a second - and only a timely intervention from Van Aanholt prevented Routledge from being through on goal after another great pass over the top from Faurlin.
The R's weren't to be denied for two much longer, and soon after they took a deserved lead.
Routledge's driven effort from the edge of the area after a corner from Taarabt cannoned into the path of Buzsaky.
The Magical Magyar made no mistake, drilling the R's into the lead.
The joy was only short lived, however, with Coventry netting their second goal of the game - again against the run of play
After a looping free-kick was played into the area, Wood - in only his second game for the Sky Blues - rose highest to nod the visitors level.
It was a bitter pill to swallow for Rangers, especially as they had been the better team for large spells of the fixture.
Though, with 10 minutes still left on the clock, they continued to attack - not least when Wright was shown his marching orders for a second bookable offence.
First, Simpson thumped straight at Westwood, before Buzsaky fired Watson's pass straight over.
But try as they did the R's couldn't find that illusive fifth goal of the game, as Coventry saw out the encounter with a solid defensive display late on.

QPR: Cerny, Hall, Leigertwood, Routledge, Buzsaky, Watson, Connolly, Faurlin, Simpson, Borrowdale, Taarabt (Reid 80).
Subs not used: McSweeney, Ramage, Agyemang, Pellicori, Gorkss, Williams.
Scorers: Simpson (35), Buzsaky (69)

Coventry City: Westwood, Wright, Bell (Eastwood 74), Best, Morrison, Van Aanholt (Clarke 72), Gunnarsson, Cork, McIndoe, Barnett, Wood.
Subs not used: Ireland, McPake, Cranie, Madine, Grandison.
Scorers: Best (16), Wood (81)
Bookings: Wood (43), Van Aanholt (53), Westwood (65), Cork (68), Wright (77 & 85)
Red cards: Wright (85)
Referee: Mr M Jones Attendance: 13, 712 QPR

Coventry Official site
A Richard Wood header earned the Sky Blues a point in an action-packed match against Queens Park Rangers.
Leon Best gave City the lead before goals from Jay Simpson and Akos Buzsaky made it 2-1.
But Wood's finish from a Michael McIndoe free-kick ensured City took a hard-fought point.
Chris Coleman kept faith with the team that drew with Crystal Palace, but were put under early pressure. Ben Watson sent an excellent ball through to Adel Taarabt on the left, but his shot was well off-target.

The home side's early movement was troubling the Sky Blues and they could have been in trouble again in the seventh minute when neat passing played in Buzsaky, but his cross went high over the bar.
City started to come into the game and nearly took the lead in the 12th minute after some excellent play by Patrick van Aanholt and Clinton Morrison. The Dutchman collected the ball in the middle and dribbled forward before playing a neat one-two with Morrison, and smashing a shot towards the bottom corner - only for Radek Cerny to save.
At the other end, Wayne Routledge broke and beat three City players to get into the box, before a superb last-ditch challenge from Stephen Wright blocked a shot.
City then created a chance from nowhere to take the lead in the 16th minute. QPR conceded a free-kick in Coventry half, which van Aanholt stepped up to take. He sent a precise ball towards Best who outjumped his marker and flicked a header into the top corner.
Both sides continued to push forward and the Hoops quick passing created a chance for Watson on the edge of the box, but he blasted wide.
Simpson then thought he had leveled for the home side in the 26th minute, when he ran onto a through ball and slotted home, only to be flagged for offside.
QPR continued to push and then scored legitimately. Alejandro Faurlin flicked a lofted through ball towards Simpson, and he got in between Leon Barnett and Keiren Westwood to flick the ball into the net on the volley.
Rangers dominated the rest of the half, with Simpson going close again, but Westwood kept him at bay.
However, Aron Gunnarsson was unlucky not to score when he headed a Michael McIndoe free-kick past Cerny only for Faurlin to clear off the line.
QPR started the second half brightly as they pushed for a second goal.
Taarabt came close in the 56th minute after a quick corner. He received the ball 20-yards out, beat a sliding Gunnarsson challenge, before sending a delicate chip towards the back post - only for it to bounce off the bar to safety.
Faurlin also had a shot from range just miss, when his 64th minute drive from 18-yards whistled over the bar. Three minutes later it was Watson's turn, with a similar chance that almost found the target.
The pressure finally proved too much for City in the 69th minute. A frantic attack eventually fell loose to Buzsaky who fired the ball towards goal, only for it to take a deflection off Wood to leave Westwood helpless.
Coleman tried to change the game by introducing Jordan Clarke and Freddy Eastwood for van Aanholt and Bell.
QPR defended well but then City made it 2-2 through recent addition Wood. City won a free-kick on the right hand side of the penalty area, and McIndoe's ball was met by the defender who powered the ball home with his head.
However, the pressure was soon on again when Stephen Wright was sent off for a second yellow. Wright has brought down a player in the 77th minute and then caught Buzsaky for a second bookable offence.
QPR tried to make the extra man count but City worked their socks off to see out five minutes of injury time and earn the point. Coventry

Radek Cerny gaffes after Richie Wood heads late leveller

Radek Cerny was on the end of a Jim Magilton verbal volley after his mistakes left Rangers with only one win from their last five matches.
The goalkeeper stayed rooted to the spot as Richard Wood headed in a late equaliser. He had also been partially at fault when Leon Best opened the scoring for Coventry with a looping header in the 12th minute.
QPR manager Magilton lambasted Cerny before the end and, in front of co-owner Bernie Ecclestone at Loftus Road, his team's promotion prospects took another hit as poor defending and finishing let them down.
Despite fielding four defenders of six foot or more, Best was allowed to jump above them and head over the poorly-positioned Cerny to give Coventry a shock lead and increase his season's goal tally to nine.
The striker should have added to Coventry's lead in similar circumstances before the break too but headed just wide.
On the balance of play it would have been harsh but QPR let themselves down in the final third after some neat build-up play. Wayne Routledge has the skill and drive but not the finish of an out and out striker and Ben Watson's shooting from distance repeatedly threatened without reaping any reward.
Jay Simpson eventually equalised in the 35th minute when he latched on to Alejandro Faurlin's delicate chip and touched it past the slow-to-react Keiren Westwood.
But Rangers remained vulnerable to balls into their penalty area and Matthew Connolly had to head off the line from Aron Gunnarsson before the break.
Adel Taarabt flickered into life in the second half, hitting the crossbar and shooting narrowly wide as his team dominated.
Akos Buzsaky finally gave them the lead in the 69th minute from an angled shot which went over Coventry goalkeeper Westwood.
There looked like there would be plenty more to come but QPR couldn't add to their lead and paid the price.
Michael McIndoe's free-kick into the penalty area was nodded in with eight minutes to give Coventry – who have now gone eight games without a win – a valuable point.
Manager Chris Coleman would have been pleased with their resilience but it came at a price as defender Stephen Wright was sent off in the 85th minute for a second booking and could face further sanctions after appearing to throw his captain's armband at referee Mike Jones. Mail

Coventry Official Site - COLEMAN: Pleased with point

CHRIS Coleman described today's draw at QPR as 'a great point' after the Sky Blues battled back at Loftus Road.

City led through a Leon Best goal, but trailed 2-1 for much of the second half.

But Richard Wood's late equaliser secured a share of the spoils, against a team Coleman rates as among the best in the league.

He said: "For 20 minutes or so in the second half QPR put on the best performance I have seen from a side in this division. We could not get near them and at times were hanging on.

"They were excellent but we came back. They did have chances but their second goal was a deflection and when you are on a run like ours, that can happen.

"We felt a bit sorry for ourselves for five minutes or so and maybe went a bit route one when our confidence was knocked.

"I think this is a great point for us. All teams will come here and will struggle. They are a strong squad and we have been on a drastic run, but hopefully that will give us a platform."

Check back for Coleman's full post-match interview will be available on Sky Blues Player.


Jim Magilton found the final scoreline difficult to accept this afternoon as he labelled his side's defending 'woeful' following QPR's 2-2 draw against Coventry City at Loftus Road.

"I think we created enough chances to win the game, albeit Coventry were still very much in it and looked very, very dangerous from set-pieces," said the R's boss.

"They caused us problems whenever the ball went near our box. But our general play was excellent, as was our composure.

"When we went a goal down we still looked to pass the ball. We then justifiably went 2-1 up, and on another day would have gone on to win the game quite comfortably."

With the R's heading towards three points following goals from Jay Simpson and Akos Buzsaky, Richard Wood struck for the visitors in only his second game with the Sky Blues following his loan arrival from Sheffield Wednesday.

His near-post header following a free-kick from the right ensured a share of the spoils for Chris Coleman's men, and Magilton conceded: "If you don't defend properly, if you don't do what is necessary to win football matches, then that's the result.

"Both goals were woeful. We've had two Saturdays now where the goals have been an absolute joke.

"It's very much a work-in-progress but I won't tolerate the goals that we're conceding.

"We're very much disappointed that we haven't won a home game today, but we've moved up a place - it's a crazy division.

"We're still striving for perfection, and we know it's not out there but there's no reason for coming in and not trying to get there."


STEPHEN WRIGHT is in trouble following his sending off.

Coventry captain Wright was shown a red card after getting his second yellow for a late challenge on Akos Buzsaky.

The former Liverpool defender then disgraced himself by throwing his armband at referee Mike Jones before heading down the tunnel in the 84th minute.

Jones is no stranger to controversy. He allowed a beach ball to score for Sunderland against Liverpool last month and he is unlikely to see the funny side after he was hit in the back by Wright's flying captain's armband.

City boss Chris Coleman said: "Wright is fuming but it's not like him to do that. I didn't see it because I was reorganising my team but Wright is disappointed."

Wright's rush of blood overshadowed a battling Coventry performance against a QPR team described by Coleman as the best in the division. He said: "We could not live with them for the first 20 minutes of the second half."

Leon Best put Coventry ahead with a clever header before QPR turned the game on its head.

Jay Simpson levelled with a close-range flick before Buzsaky nudged Rangers ahead with a deflected left-foot strike in the 69th minute.

Rangers looked home and dry until Richard Wood headed in.

Rangers manager Jim Magilton said: "I'm angry because we couldn't defend set-pieces. The keeper should have done better News of The World

Mirror - - City leave it late to nick a point

Richard Wood's first goal for 10-man Coventry secured a late 2-2 draw against high-flying QPR at Loftus Road.

Wood, who was making only his second appearance since signing on loan from Sheffield Wednesday, headed home an 81st-minute equaliser to ensure an entertaining Coca-Cola Championship clash finished all square.

Leon Best headed his ninth goal of the season to put Coventry ahead before Jay Simpson pulled the hosts level shortly after the half-hour mark with a neat finish.

Adel Taarabt was a constant menace all afternoon for the Hoops and Akos Buzsaky deservedly fired them ahead in the 69th minute before Wood's late leveller.

A lively clash threw up more incident six minutes from time when Sky Blues captain Stephen Wright was dismissed for a second bookable offence, after which he appeared to throw his captain's armband at referee Mike Jones.

The result meant Coventry have now gone eight games without victory, although they will be much happier with a point than a QPR side who hardly banished the memory of last weekend's 2-0 defeat at Doncaster.

Both sides enjoyed a positive start to the encounter, with Taarabt firing a shot come cross along the face of goal after just three minutes.

Hoops keeper Radek Cerny was called upon to keep out Patrick Van Aanholt's goalbound effort with a superb diving save soon after, before the hosts broke and threatened again themselves through Wayne Routledge.

It was no real surprise when the opening goal came with just 16 minutes on the clock and it was the visitors who grabbed the initiative.

Best earlier this week insisted Coventry would be a different team if they could start games in the same way they finish them, having gone behind on four occasions during their winless streak.

And it was he who put them ahead by sending a looping header over the stranded Cerny from Van Aanholt's free-kick.

Rangers immediately hit back and the lively Taarabt was giving Wright all sorts of problems down the left wing, while also forcing a solid save from Keiren Westwood.

The complexion of the first half changed completely within the space of 60 seconds when Best headed a great chance wide when all he had to do was hit the target.

And from almost being 2-0 down, QPR were level when Simpson latched onto Alejandro Faurlin's through-ball to fire past Westwood.

Aron Gunnarsson then saw his stoppage-time header cleared off the line by Matthew Connolly as a thrilling first half ended level.

The ambition of both teams remained evident after the break as they created openings in search of a second goal.

First Taarabt was unlucky to see his deft chip hit the crossbar after a superb bit of skill, before Van Aanholt put in a great recovering tackle to deny Routledge as he looked to pull the trigger.

The hosts were soon starting the dominate things once again with Faurlin and Ben Watson going close and they got the breakthrough they deserved in the 69th minute.

With the Sky Blues becoming camped in their own half, a Hoops corner remained in the danger zone and Buzsaky's drilled shot from close range took a deflection before beating Westwood.

Gunnarsson saw his effort deflected over the bar as Coventry, aided by some attacking substitutions, pressed in search of an equaliser. Mirror

Yann Tear/Gazette - Magilton furious with set piece let-downs

JIM MAGILTON was in a dark mood as Rangers were held at home for the fifth time this season after shipping a late equaliser against Coventry City at Loftus Road.

The Rs, who again looked good going forward, undid their good work with sloppy defending – both Coventry goals coming from free-kicks.

And unusually, the Rangers boss was not shy of singling out individuals for their mistakes.

“I’m extremely disappointed. We didn’t defend at set-pieces and I’m angry about that, “ Magilton moaned.

“Matt Connolly has to take his share of the blame for the first goal. If you’re marking someone then you need to take responsibility. For the second goal, the keeper [Radek Cerny] should have done better.

“I’m angry because performance-wise, we were very good with the ball. We were confident, extremely bright and passed it well.

“But you also have to take responsibility and defend for your lives. That didn’t happen. We fell asleep at set-pieces.”

The Sky Blues, without a win since September, went ahead through Leon Best before QPR looked to be heading for victory after goals from Jay Simpson and Akos Buzsaky.

But City hit back with an 81st minute strike from Richard Wood, before ending the match with 10 men after skipper Stephen Wright was sent off for a second bookable offence following a late foul on Buzsaky.

Chris Coleman’s side went ahead in the 16th minute, when Best beat Rs defender Matt Connolly to Patrick van Aanholt’s free-kick and sent a looping header beyond keeper Radek Cerny.

Van Aanholt had almost scored four minutes earlier. The on-loan Chelsea left-back played a neat one-two with Clinton Morrison before seeing his low shot excellently tipped away by Cerny.

Ben Watson had a chance to equalise for Rangers after a similar exchange of passes with Wayne Routledge, but the midfielder fired wide.

Rangers thought they had levelled when Buzsaky threaded the ball through for Simpson, who slotted into the net but was adjudged to be offside.

But Simpson beat the offside trap 10 minutes before half-time, latching onto Alejandro Faurlin’s chipped pass and poking the ball past keeper Kieran Westwood.

Rangers stepped up a gear in the second half and Adel Taarabt twice came close to putting them in front.

The Moroccan hit the bar with a delightful chip from just outside the penalty area and then shot inches wide after riding two challenges.

The breakthrough for Rangers came when the visitors struggled to clear Faurlin’s corner and the ball eventually dropped to Buzsaky, whose left-footed drive deflected in off Wood.

But Wood, recently signed from Sheffield Wednesday, had the last laugh by heading home Michael McIndoe’s right-wing free-kick.

Coventry had to hang on after the dismissal of Wright, who threw his captain’s armband towards referee Mike Jones after being given his marching orders.

Line-up: Cerny; Leigertwood, Connolly, Hall, Borrowdale; Buzsaky, Watson, Faurlin, Taarabt (Reid 80); Routledge, Simpson. Subs not used: McWeeney, Ramage, Gorkss, Williams, Agyemang, Pellicori. Attendance: 13,712 Ealing Gazette

- Year Flasback: "Briatore as Dictator" Email Author Revealed
- Four Year Flashback: Q & A With Chairman Paladini
- Twenty Years Ago Today: Don Howe Appointed Acting Manager of QPR
- Q&A with Kettering Acting Manager Lee Harper
- From 2005/2006: A past compilation of Selected statements

Blog Archive