QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, November 22, 2009

QPR Report Sunday - QPR vs Doncaster Match Reports and Managerial Comments

- Check out the "cutting-edge" combination messageboard and quasi-blog QPR Report Messageboard. If your interest is constantly-updated QPR-related news; QPR nostalgia; and items on some other broader football-related isssues: QPR Report Messageboard is one such site. All opinions welcome!

- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!
UPDATED THROUGHOUT THE DAY.... [Note: For a brief period, QPR Report may be less-frequently updated! In the interim, check the QPR Report Messageboard for latest updates]

- QPR1st: Bring Back The Fan Forum -- The Last QPR Fans Forum: Some 900 Days Ago

- Year Flashback: Helguson "Mystery" Deepens

- Three Year Flashback: Ugo Ukah's "Magical" Reappearance

- The continued growth and development of foootball ("Soccer") in the USA-

- UEFA Officials Accused of Helping Match Fixers


- QPR down to Sixth with 27 points after 17 games


Sean O'Driscoll was satisfied his side "ticked all the boxes" after watching Doncaster spring a 2-0 upset on high-flying QPR at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Two goals in 12 second-half minutes settled matters, Billy Sharp stabbing an opener from close range eight minutes after the break before Dean Shiels netted a sweetly-struck low shot from the edge of the box.

QPR charged forward in an effort to get back in the game but Rovers, often accused of having more style than substance, cantered through the final stages to claim only their second win in 12 games.

"I thought we were excellent," said O'Driscoll.

"We've had great performances and not had the right results and sometimes we have played, in our eyes, poorly and got points.

"But we ticked all the boxes today; we got the right performance and the right result."

The first half was close, both teams playing excellent football without looking particularly dangerous in the area.

Rangers' seven-goal striker Jay Simpson arguably could have done better with a fifth-minute volley and Mikele Leigertwood dragged a shot wide 20 minutes later.

In between, Rovers' John Oster had a 25-yard free-kick flicked wide by Radek Cerny and Shiels hit the Czech keeper from close range, but the best play came after the break.

Simpson had the first chance, pulling wide from distance, but Doncaster made their breakthrough when Sharp was given too much space in the six-yard box and prodded the ball over the line.

Shiels added a second after more lax defending, opening the door for Doncaster to play what O'Driscoll described as "beautiful football".

"You could see the confidence after the first goal," he said. "It's nice to see. The chests came out, everyone wanted the ball. When they get like that we are difficult to beat."

O'Driscoll was relieved to see his side claim a win after squandering winning positions in six previous games - but insisted his emphasis will remain on stylish play.

"We have been ahead in a lot of big games and not quite been able to get a result but we have learnt from the experience, got better and looked good," he said.

"We had a sequence of about 35 passes at one point and I think we deserved the result.

"The result is important but if you put the emphasis on winning, the outcome is more important than the processes and we work on processes. If you play right then the results will come."

QPR boss Jim Magilton was disappointed by his side's defending and admitted the final half-hour was the worst since he arrived in June.

"Very disappointed for both goals," he said. "We were architects of our own downfall in some ways.

"I thought it was an even game, but at times we looked lethargic, as if we had had two weeks off.

"We looked like we had lads who had been reading nice things about themselves. We had opportunities and moments, but Doncaster are a good side and we didn't take our chances.

"It's difficult because we set high standards and we fell. At half-time I felt we should go for the game but Jay's miss summed up our afternoon.

"For the last half-hour it was as poor as they have played for me. I can't be too hard on them because they have been very good until now." Sporting Life


Jim Magilton pinpointed his side's second half display as the main reason behind their 2-0 reverse at Doncaster Rovers.

After an even first period, Billy Sharp and Dean Shiels put the hosts into the ascendancy in the space of 10 second half minutes.

In what were difficult weather conditions at The Keepmoat Stadium, the R's boss was understandably disappointed with the nature of his team's defeat, and told www.qpr.co.uk: "I thought it was a fairly even contest in the first half, in what were pretty difficult conditions.

"Both sides tried to play, we had opportunities.

"We fell asleep for their first goal, I was very disappointed with both goals - they were really, really poor.

"We were probably the architects of our own downfall today, we didn't defend properly.

"It's difficult because we've set our standards so high. At half time I thought if we went for it we'd have a chance to win the game."

Indeed, the R's looked as though they had taken heed of Magilton's comments after the break.

But when Jay Simpson missed a golden opportunity to put Rangers into the lead just after half time, they were made to pay shortly after.

"We had a great opportunity at the start of the second half, but didn't take it," Magilton said.

"Jay's miss probably summed up our afternoon, we weren't really at it.

"We looked lethargic and like we'd had two weeks off. It's a reality check for us all."

However, Magilton feels that the R's will have learnt a big lesson from the defeat, and has cited that his side will be more than ready for their next fixture, as Rangers entertain Coventry City at Loftus Road next Saturday.

"These lads are playing for me, so I can't be too hard on them. It's a lesson learnt," added Magilton.

"We've got a big week ahead of us, and we'll be ready QPR

Doncaster Official Site - O'DRISCOLL: WE TICKED ALL BOXES

Doncaster Rovers manager Sean O'Driscoll felt that his side fully deserved their 2-0 victory over fourth-placed Queens Park Rangers at the Keepmoat Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Rovers completely outplayed their opponents in the second half of the encounter, including an amazing 35-pass passage of play which left the highly-rated R's chasing shadows.

A smart finish from Billy Sharp and a beautiful curling left-footed effort from Dean Shiels gave Rovers the win, with a solid back four leaving the visitors frustrated by a lack of clear-cut chances.

"That was as good as Blackpool and as good as at Plymouth when we went down to ten men; we were terrific then as well. People judge you on results and that is sometimes unfortunate, because that hides a lot of positives," the Rovers manager explained following the encounter.

"They are a good team, QPR. We watched them live and we watched a couple of DVDs and I thought that we deserved it (the win). I don't think that they have come off of the pitch thinking that they've got lucky. I think that as soon as the first goal went in, we sort of grew ten feet tall. That was nice to see."

"The back four played really well last week and it was a sort of an odd bounce that cost us a point at Plymouth. Our discipline was good and our organisation was really good, against a team that I have seen open teams up and score some great goals. That gives us a base and it gives us a base to do what we want to do going forward. Overall, we have ticked all of the boxes today, which is good." Doncaster

QPR Official Site

Two goals in quick succession were enough for Doncaster Rovers, as they registered a maximum return against the R's.

On a wet and windy afternoon at The Keepmoat Stadium, second half strikes from Billy Sharp and Dean Shiels saw off the visitors, in an encounter that was a good advert for passing football in the Coca-Cola Championship.

Sharp fired the hosts in front with a smart finish from close range, before Sheils' curling effort from the edge of the area sealed the points.

MPU Despite the loss, the R's still remain in the play-off places, lying in sixth spot.

Rangers gaffer Jim Magilton made no less than four changes from the side that won away at Sheffield Wednesday a fortnight ago, reverting to a 4-3-3 formation in the process.

New loan signings Steven Reid and Tommy Williams were both handed starts at The Keepmoat Stadium, replacing Gavin Mahon (knee) and Peter Ramage respectively.

Meanwhile, after impressing from the bench in that 2-1 victory at Hillsborough, Alejandro Faurlin came in for Adel Taarabt, whilst Matt Connolly replaced Fitz Hall (back).

Radek Cerny started in goal for the R's, behind a back four of Mikele Leigertwood, Kaspars Gorkss, Connolly and Williams.

Ben Watson, Faurlin and Reid made up Rangers' midfield engine room.

Jay Simpson headed a three-man attack, supported by Wayne Routledge and Akos Buzsaky.

As the rain lashed down on a lush South Yorkshire playing surface, the R's were out of the traps immediately.

After some neat, intricate passing play between Faurlin and Simpson, the ball found its way to Routledge on the right, but Buzsaky could only fire his cross over from 12-yards out when free in the area.

Play soon switched to the other end, and Cerny was forced into a fingertip save to prevent John Oster from opening the scoring with a free-kick 25-yards out.

From the resulting corner, Oster was again involved to feed Sheils at a tight angle down the left, but Williams did well to block his shot, as the ball trickled safely into the path of Cerny.

The hosts, in truth, were playing some lovely, free-flowing football themselves early on, though it was Rangers who were next on the attack.

Simpson swept a pass to Routledge out wide before the latter squared for Leigertwood on the edge of the area, but the R's right back could only blast wide of the target.

The game was a fairly even contest, with Rangers were having their fair share of chances.

Just short of the break, Watson played a sublime though ball to Routledge on halfway, though the midfielder could only shoot wide of Neil Sullivan's left-hand post.

As the teams re-emerged for the second period, Magilton opted for a substitution.

Taarabt replaced Faurlin - and it was a change that was almost instantly rewarded.

Buzsaky passed to Taarabt, who in turn played a cutting pass through to Simpson on the edge of the area.

The Arsenal loanee decided to take a first time shot when perhaps taking a touch first would have been best, firing the ball inches wide of Sullivan's right-hand post.

And it was a chance that Rangers would live to regret, as seconds later, the hosts took the lead.

The R's failed to deal with a quickly taken corner, and when the ball was centred to an unmarked Sharp, the striker made no mistake to drill the ball home just six yards from goal.

The opening goal seemed to buoy Donny and shortly after, they added a second.

After Gorkss played a side pass to Williams, the Rangers full-back was unable to control the ball as it fell to Shiels.

Despite several last-ditch attempts from the R's rearguard to block the effort, Sheils remained calm to curl the ball past Cerny and into the back of the net.

Rangers may have been despondent about conceding a quick-fire double, though they still continued to attack.

Taarabt was again involved, running at the Doncaster defence before unleashing a low driven effort, but Sullivan did well to get down low and claim the ball.

The hosts nearly a third when Dean Shiels unleashed a stinging effort in at goal, but Cerny was alert to tip the ball away to safety.

Doncaster Rovers: Sullivan, O'Connor, Roberts, Sharp, Chambers, Oster (Spicer 87), Fortune (Shackell 72), Hird, Shiels (Wilson 85), Coppinger, Gillett.

Subs not used: Smith, Guy, Hayter, Heffernan.

Goals: Sharp (54), Sheils (65)

QPR: Cerny, Leigertwood, Routledge, Buzsaky (Agyemang 63), Gorkss, Watson, Connolly, Faurlin (Taarabt 46), Williams, Simpson (Pellicori 63), Reid.

Subs not used: McWeeney, Ramage, Stewart, Ephraim.

Bookings: Leigertwood (78)

Referee: Mr A Bates

Attendance: 10, 821 (1478). QPR

Doncaster Official Site

A cold, wet and windy afternoon greeted the arrival of the Queens Park Rangers team at the Keepmoat Stadium this afternoon. The Rovers made one change from the last game at Plymouth a fortnight ago, Quinton Fortune replacing the suspended Martin Woods. Fortune also wears the captain's armband. The visitors include their latest signings, on loan, Tom Williams and Stephen Reid. The Rovers defended the South Stand end in the first half.

The visitors set the game in motion but it was five minutes any meaningful action took place. This came when Routledge got to the right byline and crossed to the far post. It was partially cleared to Simpson, who placed his shot for the far top corner well wide. The Rovers then got their game going and in the 13th minute they were awarded a free kick in a central position 25yards from goal. Oster threaded a hard, low shot through the wall to the left of the keeper, who got down well to beat it out for a corner. This produced another corner from which Shiels cut in from the left and blasted at the near post where a combination of the post and keeper kept the ball out for the keeper to eventually claim it. The game settled into an even game with both sides showing their football skills. Leigertwood fired wide from the right after 24minutes and Shiels had a run and shot from 25yards that Cerny saved two minutes later. The midfield battle continued, with the only action in front of goal coming from Routledge, who fired wide from the right angle of the penalty area and Oster, for the Rovers,hitting a terrific drive from 25yards that Cerny beat out double-fisted.

Half -Time - Doncaster Rovers 0 Queens Park Rangers 0

The Rovers started the second half and made their intentions clear by going straight on to the attack but it was the visitors who got the first strike on goal when Simpson fired wide from 25 yards. Play went straight to the other end where Sharp was crowded out in the penalty area as he tried his utmost to make room for a shot at goal. Minutes later Shiels had a shot from 25yards saved. On 53minutes, Sharp received on the edge of the visitors penalty area, swivelled on the ball to hit a powerful drive goalwards but a deflection took it out for a corner. This was swung into the six yard box where the alert SHARP stabbed it into the net. The Rovers were right on their game now and dominating. The 65th minute came up as SHIELS capitalised on a defensive error to rifle in from 20yards. The visitors tried to hit back through Taarabt but Sullivan, diving left, saved his 25yard effort. The Rovers regained their dominance and after 77 minutes Sharp was played through but was brought down by Leigertwood, who was onl booked because there was another defender alongside him. A minute later, the Rovers won a corner which brought strong appeals from the Rovers for a penalty when the ball was played into the middle. No said the referee and the Rangers raced to the Rovers end where they gained a corner. This came to nothingand a couple of minutes later Shiels had a 25yard shot saved. Then Sharp cut in from the left shot for goal but it was blocked at the expense of a corner. This was cleared and the Rangers won a corner of their own followed minutes later by another but the Rovers defended them extemely well considering their lack of inches as opposed to the visiting players. A minute from the end of normal time, Chambers came in from the right, had his shot blocked it fell to Sharp but he could only touch it to Coppinger eight yards out but his effort was blocked and cleared. As the four minutes of added time came up the visitors stormed to the attack but, despite successive corners the Rovers defence stood firm to gain an excellent win over a good team and take the badly-needed three points. Doncaster

- Briatore's Court Hearing Occurrs on Tueday (November 24)

- Year Flashback: The QPR "Insider" Email slamming Chairman Briatore, Published in the Press
- "the Fall and Fall of QPR" Flashback to QPR Eight Years ago With Fan Protests
- A number of old QPR Videos Highlights online
- QPR and Championship 2009/10 Stats

Blog Archive