QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, December 26, 2009

QPR Win. Bristol City Lose: Match Reports and Comments ...Delaney Critical of QPR Owners

- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!

- Check out the cutting-edge/continually-updated/football-only, quasi-blog/quasi-board QPR Report Messageboard! (Also: Feel free to check out the recently-created, general football blog Football Observer)

- Past QPR Boxing Day Results

- QPR Interest in Crewe's Calvin Zola?

- NEXT: QPR at Ipswich (Ipswich ARE appealing today's sending off of Jon Stead. So Stead WILL be available to play vs QPR

- Damien Delaney Speaking re QPR and Ipswich
"...Joining Ipswich Town was one of the easiest decisions I have made in my footballing life....Rangers have had seven managers in the two years that the current owners have been in charge. They can't all be wrong. The track record of some of those managers shows they have really achieved something in the game. The atmosphere made it difficult, but on the pitch I had a great time at Loftus Road and they have a great set of lads. “And on their day they can beat any team in this division...”
“Jim Magilton was showing what a good manager he is and it was no shock for me to see Rangers high in the table a few weeks ago,” added Delaney. - “My move to Ipswich was set up by Jim (while he was still Ipswich manager) and sorted while I was away for much of the summer.” Greenun24

QPR 2 Bristol City 1 - Match Reports

- Updated Table

By Andy Sims, Press Association Sport

- QPR boss Paul Hart claimed expectations are too high at Loftus Road after his side were amazingly booed off following a 2-1 win over Bristol City.
First-half goals from Jay Simpson and Mikele Leigertwood put Rangers in control, but they were hanging on at the end after Nicky Maynard's stunning strike brought City back into the game.
Hart sacrificed attacking duo Simpson and Akos Buzsaky for defenders Gary Borrowdale and Matt Connolly late on, to jeers from some hard-to-please Rangers fans.
But after registering his first victory in his second game in charge, he said: "We hadn't won in six games and lost the lead in our last two, and there was an edginess in our game against a very good Bristol City side.
"We are fighting for any sort of rhythm but each player showed the right attitude to get a result. This club needed a win today."
Hart is Rangers' ninth manager in little under two years as the club's mega-rich owners look for a quick route to promotion.
"I've only been here two weeks, I don't know people, I don't know the supporters," he added.
"I try not to let that sort of thing influence what I do.
"With the things that have happened at this club over the past few years I think it is understandable that expectations are raised.
"When you've been in football a long time then managing people's expectations seems to be as important as managing the team these days..." Sporting Life

- Paul Hart readily admitted it wasn't a pretty victory, but was delighted to register his first win at the helm with a 2-1 success against Bristol City at Loftus Road.
Goals from Jay Simpson and Mikele Leigertwood won it for the hosts, as Hart's unbeaten start to life in the QPR hot-seat continued.
"I'm delighted with the victory," he told www.qpr.co.uk.
- "We knew we needed a win today after going on quite a long run without a victory, and that's four points from a possible six in my time here, so I'm really pleased.
"We got what we set out to do - get the victory.
"I won't kid anyone, I know we can play better and will play better, but we needed a win and we got it."
Hart added: "They're a good team and they played well, but we stuck to our guns and saw them off.
"We felt we should have won last week and although we didn't play as well as I'd have liked today, we got the win and now we need to go to Ipswich and put on a performance that warrants the win today.
"It wasn't pretty, but the desire to get a result was there for everyone to see."
Looking ahead to Monday's trip to the home of Roy Keane's Ipswich Town, Hart added: "I don't think there's an easy game to have in this division.
"It's a tough league and Portman Road is a tough place to go, but we'll try to impose ourselves on the opposition and get the result we crave." QPR

QPR Official Site
-Rangers played out their final game at Loftus Road this year in perfect fashion with a victory over promotion-chasing Bristol City.
- Jay Simpson scored the opening goal of the game in Paul Hart's first win as QPR boss, touching the ball home six yards from goal after a cross into the area wasn't dealt with by the Robins defence.
- And things got all the better only eight minutes later. Mikele Leigertwood cut in past his marker before sending the ball home with a low drive from outside the penalty box.

Nicky Maynard pulled one back for City after the break, but it turned out to be a consolatory strike for the visitors as Rangers moved up to 7th place in the Coca-Cola Championship.

R's manager Hart made three changes to the QPR side that started last Saturday's 1-1 draw at home to Sheffield United.

Fitz Hall, Alejandro Faurlin and Akos Buzsaky all returned for Rangers.

That meant that Adel Taarabt and Patrick Agyemang dropped to the bench, while Damion Stewart missed out through suspension.

Radek Cerny started in goal for the R's.

Peter Ramage, Fitz Hall, Kaspars Gorkss and Tommy Williams made up the back four.

Rangers began with a diamond formation in midfield. Leigertwood occupied the holding role, with Ben Watson and Faurlin out wide and Buzsaky in the most advanced role behind the front two.

Simpson partnered Wayne Routledge in attack.

Possession was fairly even in the opening stages, though the Robins had the first real opportunity to note.

Only a few minutes had gone when Cole Skuse's centre was nodded back onto the edge of the area to Gavin Williams, whose low drive went straight at the keeper.

At the other end, passes were exchanged between Faurlin, Leigertwood and Williams before he crossed into the area for Simpson, but Dean Gerken was aware of the danger to come out and claim the ball.

Soon after, a cutting pass found Danny Haynes out wide on the right for City before he drove into the area and shot at goal, but his effort was deflected out for a corner.

From the resulting kick, some confusion in the area ended with Skuse driving the ball straight at the oncoming Cerny from 12-yards out.

Moments later Rangers took the lead. Faurlin, Routledge and Buzsaky combined when breaking at pace before his cross was deflected wide for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, Watson's centre was only cleared as far as Hall, whose lifted cross wasn't dealt with and left Simpson with the simple task of tucking the ball under the keeper and into the net.

The R's should have then extended their lead. Williams' devastating cross needed only tapping home from close-range though it went across the face of goal and clear.

But QPR weren't to be denied again just short of the break, adding a delicious second.

Leigertwood received the ball from a throw-in before beating one man and thumping the ball with his left foot past Gerken from 20-yards out, who had no chance in the Robins net.

As the second half got underway, the R's continued to attack their visitors.

Routledge drove at the Robins defence from his own half before sliding the ball into Simpson, though he could only fire wide of the target when under pressure from his marker.

Moments later, City were back in the game with a magnificent goal that was greeted with applause from all four sides of the ground.

Williams played the ball into Maynard - who had his back to goal on the edge of the area - before he held off two markers, flicked the ball up and lashed the ball into top left-hand corner of the goal.

Rangers responded in positive fashion to the setback. Simpson won the ball out on the left-hand side before sending over a centre for Routledge, though he misjudged the flight of the ball when he looked certain to test the keeper from 12-yards out.

Watson, Buzsaky and Routledge then combined before he sent over a cross for substitute Patrick Agyemang, though his effort from close-range just missed wide of Gerken's left-hand post.

At the other end, only a superb intervention from Hall stopped Maynard from levelling the scores, as his last-ditch challenge prevented the forward shooting for goal from a few yards out.

City could - and perhaps should - have found the net soon after. Maynard fed David Clarkson just six-yards out, though he could only shoot at the side-netting with just the keeper to beat.

The visitors, to their credit, continued to press, but the R's held out to claim a welcome Boxing Day win.

QPR: Cerny, Ramage, Hall, Leigertwood, Routledge, Buzsaky (Connolly 83), Gorkss, Watson, Faurlin (Agyemang 63), Williams, Simpson (Borrowdale 83).

Subs not used: Taylor, Pellicori, Balanta, Taarabt.

Goals: Simpson (32), Leigertwood (40)

Bristol City: Gerken, Orr, McAllister, Fontaine, Carey, Maynard, Hartley, Skuse, Williams (Sno 70), Haynes (Sproule 83), Saborio (Clarkson 71).

Subs not used: Henderson, Elliott, Edwards, Nyatanga.

Goals: Maynard (57)
Bookings: Haynes, Maynard, Sno
Referee: Mr D J Phillips
Attendance: 13, 534 QPR

Bristol CIty Official Site

QPR 2-1 Bristol City
Adam Baker reports from Loftus Road

There was no Christmas cheer for City as they lost out at QPR by two goals to one on Boxing Day.

After City had dominated for the first half-hour, they were undone by goals from Jay Simpson and Mikele Leigertwood.

Nicky Maynard scored a superb goal in the second half to give the visitors hope, but it wasn't to be for the visitors, who also had a strong penalty claim turned down at the death.

City started well and Gavin Williams almost netted after six minutes on his first Championship start of the season. Cole Skuse's cross was headed back out by Hall towards Williams on the edge of the box. The midfielder took aim with a driven shot from 18 yards but Radek Cerny held on.

QPR were at sixes and sevens, and a wayward Ben Watson pass had Alvaro Saborio running towards Cerny's goal. Left on his own, Saborio took too much time and was tackled by Hall.

Danny Haynes, looking lively on the right, had the next effort goalwards with a low deflected shot just past the far post. From the resulting corner, Fontaine challenged keeper Cerny and the ball dropped out towards Skuse. With his studs the midfielder stabbed the ball goalwards only for Cerny to save by his goal-line.

QPR's first foray forward led to a mistake by City that would ultimately lead to the opening goal. Wayne Routledge's cross was guided back towards his own goal by Bradley Orr, and then Paul Hartley was forced to head behind for a corner.

And from that flag kick the ball arrived at the far edge of the box with Hall. The defender whipped a cross into the box which Gavin Williams made a mess of clearing, allowing Simpson to sneak in and clip the ball over Dean Gerken for 1-0.

The goal arrived against the run of play, but QPR capitalised on a shocked City with a second goal on 40 minutes. Routledge fed the ball to Leigertwood on the edge of the area. Given too much time and space, the QPR captain whipped a low left-footed shot inside Gerken's far post for the hosts' second of the afternoon.

Liam Fontaine almost provided City with an instant response, heading straight into Cerny's arms from Jamie McAllister's raking pass.

And on the stroke of half-time Louis Carey's shot from 35 yards warmed the gloves of Cerny.

Simpson had a chance to wrap up the game six minutes after the restart when Routledge's pass sent him racing through on goal. Pressurised by Bradley Orr, Simpson rushed his shot and completedly missed the target.

Penalty claims for Maynard and Saborio were ignored by the official, but City were soon back in the game.

On 57 minutes Williams sent the ball towards Maynard. The City top scorer, with his back towards goal, took two controlling touches before sending a scissor-kick shot arrowing into the top corner for 2-1.

Chances dried up after that and Patrick Agyemang's shot wide from Routledge's cross was the next chance of the game on 79 minutes.

Moments later Maynard dashed on to Hartley's pass over the top and looked to be hauled to the ground by Hall. Referee David Phillips disagreed, much to the amazement of the 1,028 travelling fans.

Replacement David Clarkson had a brilliant chance to level seconds later as Maynard charged down Hall's clearance. The ball dropped kindly to Clarkson inside the box but his first time volley hit the side-netting.

It wasn't to be for City, though, despite four minutes of added on time." Bristol City

Skysports - Hart oversees first QPR win
First-half double enough to see off Robins
Last updated: 26th December 2009

Paul Hart enjoyed his first win as Queens Park Rangers manager following a battling 2-1 success over Bristol City at Loftus Road.

QPR appeared to be cruising towards the points after goals from Jay Simpson and Mikele Leigertwood had the hosts 2-0 up at half-time.

Nicky Maynard struck a stunning goal for the visitors just before the hour mark, but QPR held on to secure a maiden three-point haul for Hart.

The hosts were slow starters as they struggled to get to grips with a new diamond midfield formation and were camped in their own half early on.

Hungarian star Akos Buzsaky, involved for the first time since his dressing-room 'difference of opinion' accounted for Hart's predecessor Magilton, was a bystander as City dominated.

Gavin Williams forced a save from home keeper Radek Cerny and Danny Haynes had a shot just deflected wide.

But, totally against the run of play, Rangers took the lead just after the half-hour when Fitz Hall crossed towards Simpson.

The on-loan Arsenal forward's initial touch was poor but the ball bounced kindly off Williams back into his path to poke beyond Dean Gerken for his ninth goal of the season.

Unstoppable effort
City boss Gary Johnson had considered not travelling to the game due to a chest infection.

And he must have been regretting his decision not stay in his sick bed when, five minutes before the break, Rangers went two ahead.

Leigertwood collected Buzsaky's flick, cut inside on his left foot and curled an unstoppable effort from 20 yards low inside Gerken's right-hand post.

Simpson had a chance to put the hosts out of sight after the interval when Wayne Routledge sent him through but the young striker curled his shot high and wide.

And Johnson's mood improved in the 58th minute when Maynard conjured up his 11th goal of the season in superb style.

The striker juggled Williams' pass twice in turning and shaking off two Rangers defenders before his third touch, a stunning 20-yard volley, flew past Cerny and into the top corner.

Johnson and City were twice screaming for penalties in the last 10 minutes when Maynard tumbled under last-ditch challenges from Hall and Peter Ramage but referee David Phillips waved away the appeals.

Hart saw fit to sacrifice Simpson and Buzsaky for defenders Gary Borrowdale and Matt Connolly to hold off City's late flurry - prompting derision from a number of hard-to-please Rangers fans.
And the home boss breathed a sigh of relief when City sub David Clarkson hit the side netting with the visitors' last chance. Skysports

Yann Tear/London Informer

Hart's first win fails to convince Rs faithful
Dec 26 2009 By Yann Tear

TWO goals in nine minutes set Rangers on their way to their first win under Paul Hart and a first victory in seven matches.

But there were boos rather than cheers at the end as Rangers limped home unimpressively.

Jay Simpson's ninth goal of an increasingly prolific campaign got the ball rolling after a tame beginning by the Hoops and Mike Leigertwood's smart drive doubled the advantage.

Nicky Maynard, who scored a late winner for City when the teams met earlier in the season at Ashton Gate, rifled in a rising shot on the turn after 58 minutes to make a game of it.

But Rangers held on in spite of two heart-stopping moments late on - first when Fitz Hall's tackle on the City goalscorer incited loud penalty appeals and then when a shot from sub David Clarkson rippled the side netting.

The win is unlikely to engender widespread belief that the promotion campaign is back on track with a vengeance.

Indeed, there even a few chants of 'you don't know what you're doing' and 'we're supposed to be at home' aimed at the new QPR boss when he brought on two defenders in the closing moments to protect the lead.

Rangers were treading water during an undistinguished first half until some dozy defending gifted them their advantage.

Hall found himself joining a rare attack for the Hoops and did his bit after a corner by playing in a looping cross towards the six yard box that City midfielder Gavin Williams obligingly teed up for Simpson.

The corner had been won after a rare moment of danger from the home side, when Akos Buzsaky's awkward angled cross was almost touched into his own net by a City defender.

Not long after Simpson had turned the ball in from six yards, Leigertwood was allowed to take delivery of a throw in and turn onto his left foot from just outside the area to bury a low shot to the right of keeper Dean Gerken.

City had been in control of possession, but apart from a couple of long-range efforts, Radek Cerny was not tested enough to raise alarm bells for the home side." London Informer

Bristol City Official Site

Posted on: Sat 26 Dec 2009
Gary Johnson refused to blame the officials for City's 2-1 defeat at QPR, despite a late, strong penalty claim for Nicky Maynard.

City were comfortable for the first half hour but failed to net, and succumbed to strikes from Jay Simpson and Mikele Leigertwood.

Although Maynard did find the net with a stunning second half strike, City couldn't make the next vital breakthrough to rescue anything from their Boxing Day game.

"I wasn't happy with our performance and the lads know that, Gary told Player.

"We have to be doing more at this stage [of the season]. We have to be careful we don't drift into the bottom half and start competing with those teams.

"There was good football at times, especially in the first half, but we have to be more clinical.

"We need centre-halves getting a cut eye by getting on the end of crosses. We want our midfielders running into to dangerous areas and dangerous balls being played into our strikers.

"All the things that make you win games aren't there at the moment. We're okay in between the penalty boxes but it's what's happening in them that is costing us at the moment."

Of the penalty claim, when Fitz Hall appeared to bring down Maynard with 12 minutes left, Gary admitted to being displeased.

He said: "I was on the halfway line at ground level, but the referee and assistant had a far better view.

"I wasn't necessarily screaming for a penalty, I just wanted a decision.

"The referee looked at the linesman with a questioning face, and he looked back with the same face. Both had no idea and stupid frowns on their faces.

"There was no decision made and the play went on. I think that's terrible - you either want a yes or a no."

Lee Johnson missed the trip to QPR with illness and is likely to be absent again for the home game with Watford on Monday.

Evander Sno was a substitute at QPR despite suffering a family bereavement over Christmas. He will now fly out for his relative's funeral and miss the Watford match" Bristol City

Blog Archive