QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, October 03, 2011

QPR Suffer Worst-Ever League Defeat to London Club: Compilation of Fulham Reports...Rodney Marsh Praises "Magnificent" QPR Fans..Taarabt Takes The Bus

This Week's "Spot The Ball"
- Series of Zimbio Photos from Fulham-QPR
- Throughout the day, the QPR Report Messageboard has news updates, comments and perspectives - even links to other board comments of interest re QPR matters (on and off the field) along with football (and ONLY football) topics in general....Also Follow: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER

- England Squad: No Shaun Wright-Phillips

- Birthday for Steve Wicks

- Nick Ward Returns to Wellington Phoenix

- Two Year Flashback: Brian Glanville writing about the situation at QPR with Flavio Briatore and his Managerial Involvement

- Three Year Flashback: Great General Article re Club, Owners and Fans "..."....You may not own it, but your club belongs to you"

- "On This Day" (Yesterday!) Flashback: Chairman Chris Wright Wooing Staying Away Fans and Offering His Perspective/Plans for QPR

- STAN BOWLES VIDEO: Second Best Goals of 1973 and 1974 (both by Stan Bowles of Queen's Park Rangers)


QPR Crash to Fulham in their worst-ever League Defeat to a London Rival

Rodney Marsh praising QPR Fans
- "R'ss fans in 60's were unique, never negative! The Rodnee Rodnee chant lifted me every game! Was proud of them today"
- "...Qpr fans magnificent, never stopped singing
"...QPR fans in defeat, absolutely magnificent!! Rodney Marsh Twitter

- Warnock on Talksport: Squad Not Big Enough

BBC - Warnock Comments

QPR boss Neil Warnock refuses to blame players after Fulham loss

Warnock relaxed despite drubbing

Queens Park Rangers manager Neil Warnock insisted he would not be too hard on his players after they were thrashed 6-0 at Fulham.

He said injuries to his defensive line up allowed the home side's three-man attack to slice through his side "like a knife through butter".

"We lost Matthew Connolly and Fitz Hall has an injury," said Warnock.

"We were at sixes and sevens at the back and it showed. I don't think there'll be many days like this."
Continue reading the main story

If we had Darren Bent playing for us today, and a few England players, we'd have still been beaten 6-0

QPR boss Neil Warnock

Rangers had been hoping to record their first back-to-back wins in the top flight since 1995, but Andrew Johnson scored a hat-trick for Fulham as Rangers lost for the third time in seven Premier League fixtures this season.

"If you started shouting at them today you'd never shut up," added Warnock. "We had to get on with it. It was bad and they took advantage."

And he claimed that he had no knowledge of reports that Morocco international and former QPR skipper Adel Taarabt has stormed out of the ground.

"That's not my problem at the moment," said the Rangers boss. "I have no idea [whether he left the dressing room].

"I don't think you can blame Adel Taarabt for the result. We conceded six goals. You've got to look at that.

"If I'm honest, if we had Darren Bent playing for us today, and a few England players, we'd have still been beaten 6-0.

"You get days when Adel comes off. You're going to get days when he throws his toys out the pram, but that isn't a worry for me."

Jol hails hat-trick hero Johnson

Fulham boss Martin Jol was pleased with the run of form being enjoyed by striker Johnson, whose hat-trick came days after he scored twice against Odense in the Europa League.

"I'm very happy for him and for us as well," said Jol.

"He scored the goals in Europe, did it in the Premier League but it doesn't matter who scores the goals, we need the results.

"I felt that maybe today we scored too many but on other days we didn't get the goals we needed."

Johnson is out of contract at the end of the season and the manager was keen to stress that he is confident the striker will sign a new deal.

"Other people are doing the negotiations," added Jol.

"I will back him all the time and hopefully he is good for us this season because he has scored more goals today than he did in the whole of last season.

WEST LONDON SPORT QPR boss blames injuries for derby woe
Can Warnock find room for Buzsaky?

Neil Warnock claimed QPR’s derby humiliation by Fulham was caused by their injury problems.

The Rangers boss also refused to comment on Adel Taarabt’s reaction to being substituted at half-time during the 6-0 defeat at Craven Cottage.

Taarabt did not stick around for the second half in which Warnock’s side conceded three more goals against a team that had yet to win a league match this season.

Rangers were without Danny Gabbidon and the suspended Armand Traore, whose planned replacement Matt Connolly was ruled out after picking up an injury ahead of the match.

Fitz Hall played at Fulham despite a hamstring strain

The injury-prone Fitz Hall was also struggling but played because the R’s were short of other defensive options.

“They caught us on a bad day and it was like a knife through butter,” said Warnock.

“We can’t afford injuries like that in the situation we’re in. We were at sixes and sevens at the back and all credit to Fulham for taking advantage.

“Hopefully in a fortnight’s time, after the international break, those players will be back and raring to go. We’ve got to have a full squad to choose from to be a force.”

Warnock also hinted that he regretted the recent decision to allow Nottingham Forest to sign Clint Hill on loan.

Hill would have played in Sunday’s game had he been available to Warnock, who admitted: “We’ll have to reassess players going out on loan because we need to look after ourselves.” http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-boss-blames-injuries-for-derby-woe/

Neil Warnock conceded that it's been 'a bad at the office' following QPR's 6-0 defeat in this afternoon's (Sunday) West London derby at Craven Cottage.

Andy Johnson's hat-trick, as well as further strikes from Danny Murphy, Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora completed a comfortable win for Fulham, who brushed aside an under-par Rangers.

Speaking to www.qpr.co.uk following the defeat, Warnock said: "I think I've had a couple of bad defeats as a Manager and it's not easy - this is one of the worst.

"If ever there was a day to catch us, it was probably today. Good players take advantage of certain situations and Fulham did.

"We've had a nightmare in the last 48 hours. Danny Gabbidon has had re-occurrence of his knee injury, we lost Matt Connolly after an innocuous challenge with Shaun Wright-Phillips in training yesterday, while Fitz Hall picked up an injury before today's game.

"Armand Traore was also sat in the stands suspended. It's a massive disappointment but we can't cater for all those factors with the squad that we've got."

He added: "It was like a hot knife slicing through butter. All credit to Fulham though, who took advantage of a back four in disarray.

"No-one gave in, but they were just too good for us on the day.

"We've done well so far and kept three clean sheets, which is fabulous, but we can't afford too many injuries.

"Most teams would have beaten us today, given the way that we defended.

"We've all had a bad day at the office. You expect some drubbings when you come up, even though I didn't expect one today."

Amidst the defeat was a welcome return for R's attacker Jamie Mackie, following a nine-month spell on the sidelines owing to a double leg break picked up in our FA Cup defeat at Blackburn in January.

On the subject of Mackie's 72nd minute introduction from the substitutes' bench, Warnock continued: "It was great for Jamie - I'm so pleased for him.

"I wanted to give him 15 minutes if I could, because he's has so many knockbacks in the nine months since he broke his leg.

"At least it's one bright little spark for the fans today, because they know how important he was for us last season."

Warnock also reserved special praise for the outstanding travelling R's support, who backed their team from the first whistle until the last.

"The fans today were fantastic - they were chanting my name, even at 6-0 down," Warnock said.

"They know how far we've come and how quickly we've done that. You're going to get days like today in the Premier League, because it's a cruel league with some great players.

"We know that we've got to be at our best every week to play at this level."


Andrew Johnson scored a hat-trick as Fulham humiliated QPR in a totally one-sided derby.

It emphatically ended the Whites’ long wait for a first league win under Martin Jol and lifted them out of the bottom three, leaving Rangers licking their wounds after a harrowing first defeat since their pre-deadline spending spree.

Danny Murphy, Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora also scored for the home side, who were 3-0 up at half-time.

Johnson got the opener after only two minutes, pouncing on the loose ball after keeper Paddy Kenny parried Moussa Dembele’s effort.

Murphy netted a 20th-minute penalty after Kenny brought down Johnson, who tucked away the third from Zamora’s low cross.

And Johnson completed his treble – and the first Premier League hat-trick by a Fulham player – courtesy of Murphy’s quickly taken free-kick.

Johnson turned provider for the fifth, storming down the left and crossing for Dempsey to score.

Dempsey then teed up Zamora, who cut in from the left and rifled into the far corner of the net.

Jol opted for an ultra-attacking formation, seemingly believing QPR to be vulnerable at the back – and this annihilation proved how right he was.

For the first time this season, Johnson, Dembele and Zamora were all included in the starting line-up – a sign of Jol’s determination to get that overdue league win.

And it paid an instant dividend as they made the perfect start to the first match between these clubs for over 10 years and their first ever meeting in the top flight.

Johnson, who scored twice in the midweek Europa League victory against Odense, pounced after Kenny was unable to hold Dembele’s shot, and Fulham almost doubled their lead when Dempsey’s effort was cleared off the line by Bradley Orr.

Rangers simply could not handle Fulham’s front line – and in particular Johnson, who burst into the penalty area and won the spot-kick which Murphy fired high into the net to put Fulham two up.

Worse followed for Rangers seven minutes before the break. Dempsey did well on the left and after the American’s shot was blocked, Zamora reacted quickly and laid the ball across for Johnson to add the third.

QPR boss Neil Warnock made a double substitution at half-time, replacing Shaun Derry and Adel Taarabt with DJ Campbell and Tommy Smith.

Rangers, who have not scored against Fulham since May 1983, did at least make a better start to the second period and went close to getting a goal back when Shaun Wright-Phillips fired narrowly wide.

But they continued to defend abysmally and were caught napping yet again on the hour mark, when Murphy’s quick thinking at a free-kick put Johnson through on a woefully exposed Kenny and the striker made no mistake.

The fifth arrived when Dempsey finished coolly after Johnson’s cross had been flicked on by Zamora, who got on the scoresheet himself to make it six.

A striker scoring a hat-trick, the home team three up at half-time and demolishing their west London neighbours 6-0; for Gary Bannister read Johnson, and for QPR’s 1986 slaying of Chelsea read this battering of Rangers by Fulham.

This too is a result both sets of fans will remember for a long time to come.

SPORTING LIFE - WARNOCK NOT FOCUSED ON TAARABT Click here for Sunday's scores and scorers
QPR manager Neil Warnock refused to comment on reports that Adel Taarabt stormed off after being replaced at half-time of their resounding 6-0 defeat at west London rivals Fulham.

Andrew Johnson's hat-trick spurred the Cottagers to their first Barclays Premier League victory of the season.

Danny Murphy's penalty along with efforts from Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora complemented Johnson's treble.

Warnock's miserable afternoon was compounded further by suggestions that playmaker Taarabt stormed out of Craven Cottage after being substituted.

Asked about the situation, he said: "That's not my problem at the moment. I have no idea [whether he left the dressing room]. I've more worries than any individual when you lose 6-0.

"I don't think you can blame Adel Taarabt," he continued. "We conceded six goals. You've got to look at that.

"If I'm honest, if we had Darren Bent playing for us, and a few England players, we'd have still been beaten 6-0.

"I don't think you can get carried away too much. You get days when Adel comes off. You're going to get days when he throws his toys out the pram, but that isn't a worry for me.

"If I sub somebody and they are happy, then I have more of a problem with that."

Asked again whether he knew if Taarabt was at the stadium for the second half, Warnock retorted: "I'm not concerned about that. You can make whatever you want from the situation."

After being asked once more about Taarabt, Warnock walked out the post-match press conference.

QPR refused to comment on the speculation.

By coincidence, Taarabt was recalled to the Morocco squad earlier three months after walking out on the team and vowing never to play international football again. Sporting Life

Mirror - Taarabt catches the bus home after being subbed Published 22:28 02/10/11 By John Cross
Adel Taarabt stormed off after being substituted at half-time as QPR crashed 6-0 at Fulham – then caught the bus home.
Fans were stunned to see the temperamental forward, still dressed in a club tracksuit, waiting at a bus stop near the ground before the game had even finished. He had been replaced by DJ Campbell.

QPR boss Neil Warnock said his team defended like “Sunday League players” but refused to condemn Taarabt.

Warnock said: “That’s not my problem. I’ve no idea. I’ve got more worries than individuals at the moment. I don’t think you can blame Adel Taarabt today.

“You’re going to get days when Adel throws his toys out the pram. If you’re not bothered about being subbed.. I’d rather have players like him.

“I’m not concerned about it. You write what you like.” Mirror

MAIL - Bus strop! Star man Taarabt storms away from Craven Cottage as QPR lose 6-0
By Neil Ashton and Laura Williamson
Adel Taarabt was seen sprinting away in his QPR tracksuit after storming out of Craven Cottage as his team were humiliated 6-0 at Fulham.

Following a furious half-time bust-up with boss Neil Warnock, the midfielder - stripped of the captaincy after Joey Barton’s arrival - showered and left the ground. He headed towards the Crabtree pub in Fulham before Rangers supporters, many of whom left when the team conceded a fourth goal inside an hour, approached him on Fulham Palace Road near a bus stop.
Bus strop: Adel Taarabt left Craven Cottage at half-time

Taarabt posed for pictures with some young supporters until, according to one one witness, the atmosphere turned hostile and Taarabt sprinted off. QPR refused to comment officially, but Taarabt is now facing a heavy fine.

The Moroccan midfielder, who quit playing for his country when dropped in June, scored 19 goals as QPR won the Championship last season but was poor on Sunday and was substituted at half-time.
Bust-up: Taarabt and Neil Warnock (right) celebrate promotion in May

Bust-up: Taarabt and Neil Warnock (right) celebrate promotion in May

Taarabt was on the verge of a £12million move to Paris Saint-Germain in the summer but Warnock persuaded him to stay.

And, despite claiming he had accepted his boss’s decision to give the captaincy to Barton, he was privately furious.

Warnock refused to deny their half-time spat and would not comment when asked if he planned to discipline Taarabt.
'No idea': Warnock didn't comment on the situation

The QPR boss said: ‘I’ve no idea what happened. I don’t think you can blame Adel Taarabt today. You’ve got to look at why we conceded six goals.

‘You’re going to get days when Adel throws his toys out the pram. If you’re not bothered about being subbed... I’d rather have players like that, me.’ Mail

TELEGRAPH - By Declan Taylor at Craven Cottage

With west London temperatures hitting almost 30 degrees on the first weekend of October, it was Andy Johnson who officially announced the Indian summer of his career with a hat-trick. And manager Martin Jol swiftly urged the striker to recommit to the club who paid £10.5m for his services in 2008.

For their money Fulham received just 19 goals in the three seasons before this but the 30-year-old, so badly affected by injuries in the past now has five in four days, following a pair against Odense in the Europa League on Thursday and the three here as Fulham routed near neighbours Queens Park Rangers.

But this was not a typical Johnson performance, so often all about his stealthy goal-scoring prowess. It was about so much more than that â “ demonstrated by his involvement in the build up for two more of his side’s six goals.

And Fulham manager Martin Jol, who finally has his first Premier League win in charge at Craven Cottage, insists that Johnson, a free agent in the summer, must now decide where his future lies.

“It’s up to him,” said the Dutchman. “I won’t go into details but it’s a good contract. You would be happy with it. We have offered Andy Johnson this year, next year and an option [of another year]. So I feel it’s a good offer.
Related Articles

“Other people are doing the negotiations. I will back him all the time and hopefully he is good for us this season because he has scored more goals today than he did in the whole of last season. But I feel Andy Johnson and Fulham is a good combination.

“The first time I was here [in England] he played for Crystal Palace and he scored 20 goals but he scored 10 penalties as well because he was always falling over. I have told him I think he is capable of scoring at least 12 or 15 goals. I think he will prove me right.” Johnson opened the scoring after just two minutes, turning home a rebound following Mousa Dembele’s saved shot and was then brought down for the 20th-minute penalty which Danny Murphy converted.

And Johnson’s treble was completed with two equally-simple finishes either side of the interval. First he stabbed in Bobby Zamora’s low cross from close range and then latched onto a quickly-taken free-kick and slid his finish past Paddy Kenny.

Johnson then turned provider for Clint Dempsey, scampering down the left before squaring for Zamora, whose deft touch found Clint Dempsey for five. Zamora, who did not travel to Odense through illness, capped his own fine performance with the sixth when he drilled a low effort across the goalkeeper.

It was reported last week that England striker Zamora had clashed with Jol on the training ground after the manager left him out of the side’s trip to Odense. But Jol insisted: “There are agents. If you drop somebody or leave someone out they will tell their agent and the agent will tell you [the press].

“Bobby is ok. He is a sensitive person. Sometime you leave him out but if he’s ill in bed you cannot expect me to take him with us.

“When he came to training I said â you better stay here and do some extra sessions’. I still had Andy Johnson and he proved me right up front because he scored two goals.” Meanwhile, Jol’s opposite number Neil Warnock could be facing a more severe headache with a player of his own. The enigmatic Adel Taarabt, virtually absent in the first 45 minutes, was replaced at half time by Warnock and it was rumoured that the Moroccan playmaker almost immediately left the ground and went home on a London bus.

But Warnock said: “I have no idea [whether he left]. I’ve more worries than any individual when you lose 6-0. You get days when Adel comes off and you’re going to get days when he throws his toys out of the pram, but that isn’t a worry for me. I’m not concerned about that, son.” When later asked what action would be taken against Taarabt, Warnock ended his press conference without responding while QPR refused to comment on the situation. Telegraph

INDEPENDENT - Johnson hat-trick helps Fulham secure win
Fulham 6 QPR 0 By Simon Peach

Andrew Johnson's hat-trick helped Fulham secure their first Barclays Premier League win of the season in resounding fashion against west London rivals QPR.

While some feared the Cottagers may struggle with a hangover from their midweek European exertions, they impressed from the offset and dominated throughout against their neighbours from less than three miles up the road.

Johnson handed the home side the lead after just 79 seconds and their strong start continued when Danny Murphy slotted home from the spot midway through the first period.

QPR looked poor in the rivals' first meeting since 2001 and hopes of securing their first win over Fulham since 1983 were all-but curtailed just before the break when Johnson tucked away his second of the afternoon.

The 30-year-old ensured he would leave Craven Cottage with the matchball in the 60th minute when latching onto Murphy's quick free-kick, before Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora wrapped up the 6-0 rout.

The London derby started at ferocious pace, with Shaun Wright-Phillips' curled 20-yard effort forcing Mark Schwarzer to save within the opening minute.

Fulham immediately launched an attack at the other end and broke the deadlock.

Moussa Dembele played a neat one-two with Zamora before unleashing a fierce drive that Paddy Kenny could only parry onto Johnson, who finished with ease.

The rapid start to the match continued and the Cottagers came close to doubling their lead immediately afterwards as Fitz Hall almost flicked into his own net from Dempsey's squared ball.

The United States international then saw a goalbound effort blocked by a last-gasp challenge by Bradley Orr and, as the home side's onslaught continued, Johnson came agonisingly close to netting his second of the afternoon after firing a volley inches wide from a Zamora header in the 17th minute.

However, Fulham did not have to wait long to score their second as Kenny upended Johnson in the box and referee Andre Marriner awarded a 20th-minute penalty, which skipper Murphy duly converted.

The Hoops were struggling to cope with the home side's attack-minded philosophy and unable to turn their fleeting attacks into goal-scoring opportunities.

Fulham, meanwhile, showed no signs of a post-Europa League hangover and looked impressive in attack, with Steve Sidwell coming close in the 37th minute.

And just one minute later, Jol's side grabbed a third of the afternoon as Johnson turned home Zamora's cross after keeping a cool a head during a melee in the box.

QPR looked shell-shocked as they trudged off at the break and came out with two new faces as DJ Campbell and Tommy Smith replaced Adel Taarabt and Shaun Derry.

Warnock's attempts to gee up his side looked to be working at the start of the second period, with both Wright-Phillips and Alejandro Faurlin getting away shots.

However, Fulham were soon back in their stride and Kenny was forced to acrobatically save a Zamora effort in the 58th minute.

Sidwell had another attempt from the resulting corner and moments later Johnson ensured he would leave Craven Cottage with the matchball when he latched onto Murphy's quick free-kick.

Fulham did not rest on their laurels, though, and after Zamora fired just wide, the striker laid the ball off to Dempsey to make it 5-0 with an exquisite finish.

QPR's first top-flight match against Fulham got even worse in the 74th minute when Zamora was rewarded for an industrious performance with a deserved goal, slotting home past a hapless Kenny.

The only moment of joy for 3,000-odd visiting fans came just before Zamora's goal as they welcomed back striker Jamie Mackie, who came off the bench for the first time since suffering a double leg break in an FA Cup tie with Blackburn in January.

The former Plymouth striker skewed a shot wide as the game came to a close, while at the other end fellow substitute Bryan Ruiz saw an angle drive fly just wide before Marriner called time. INDEPENDENT

QPR Official Site
Andy Johnson stole the show, as his hat-trick helped Fulham complete a convincing victory over the R's at Craven Cottage.

In what can only be described as a disappointing performance from Neil Warnock's side, the Cottagers were in front after just the second minute, after Johnson struck from close range.

Paddy Kenny's foul on the opening goalscorer in the box saw Danny Murphy add a second from the penalty spot in the 20th minute, before Johnson netted his second - again from close range - just before the half-time interval.

Fulham were just as ruthless after the break too and, after Johnson completed his hat-trick on 60 minutes, Clint Dempsey and Bobby Zamora were soon on hand to add goals five and six respectively.

Sandwiched in between those two final strikes saw a welcome return for QPR attacker Jamie Mackie, who featured for the final 18 minutes after a nine-month injury lay-off.

And a special note must be reserved for the magnificent 3,000-plus travelling R's faithful who, despite the scoreline, backed their side until the death.

Warnock made just one change to his side from last weekend's entertaining draw with Aston Villa at Loftus Road, in an accustomed 4-2-3-1 formation.

Armand Traore - who was sent off for a second bookable offence in that clash with the Villans -missed out as he served a one-match suspension, meaning Bradley Orr came into the side at right-back, with Luke Young switching to the left.

R's fans' favourite Mackie, who returned only in midweek for the Reserves following a nine-month injury absence with a double leg break, was a welcome inclusion on the bench.

There was also a spot among the substitutes for former Fulham striker Heidar Helguson.

Kenny was once again in goal for Rangers, while Orr, Anton Ferdinand, Fitz Hall and Young made up QPR's back four.

Shaun Derry and Ale Faurlin were in defensive midfield, behind the more advanced trio of Shaun Wright-Phillips, Adel Taarabt and R's skipper Joey Barton.

Jay Bothroyd led the Rangers line in attack.

On a gorgeous, sun-soaked afternoon by the Thames, QPR started brightly and forced Mark Schwarzer into a save with just under a minute on the clock.

Good work from Barton down the right saw the Rangers Captain find Wright-Phillips on the edge of the box, before the tricky winger's shot deflected up and safely into the hands of Schwarzer.

Seconds later, however, play switched to the other end - and Fulham took an early lead.

The goal came on 81 seconds, to be precise. Zamora and Mousa Dembele exchanged passes and, when the latter's long-range effort was spilled by Kenny into the path of Johnson, he had the simple task of tapping home from eight yards.

On 4 minutes, it was almost two for the Cottagers. Dempsey's cross from the left-hand byline deflected up off the leg of Hall and goalwards, before the R's defender recovered in time with an acrobatic overhead kick to clear the ball off the line.

Undeterred, Rangers continued to push forward. Great play from Warnock's men ended in the ball eventually finding Derry 20 yards from goal, whose effort with his weaker left foot fizzed over the bar.

This was real end-to-end stuff. Johnson raced away from his marker and picked out Dempsey unmarked from 12 yards, before the latter's resultant low effort had to be cleared off the line by the covering Orr.

Moments later, the home side went within inches of doubling their lead when Zamora's nod down from a long ball fell into the path of Johnson on the edge of the area, whose thunderous volley went just wide of Kenny's left-hand post.

Disaster struck then struck on 19 minutes, after Fulham were awarded a penalty.

A ball from deep sparked a chase between Hall and Johnson, before the former looked to shield the ball into the path of his keeper.

Thereafter, the Fulham striker nipped in past Hall, before being clipped by the hand of Kenny.

Referee Mr Marriner was left with little option but to point to the spot and, when Murphy stepped up to take the penalty he made no mistake, smashing the ball into the top left-hand corner of the net.

Fulham's second, as you would expect, appeared to knock the stuffing out of the R's, but they still pushed forward when the opportunities arose.

Wright-Phillips and Orr combined down the right and, when the full-back's cross appeared to be inch-perfect for the former on 12 yards, a Fulham defender was on hand to clear the ball to safety.

Steve Sidwell went close with an effort on 37 minutes after more fine Fulham build-up play, before the hosts added a third six minutes before the break.

John Arne Riise, Zamora and Dempsey all combined and, when the latter fired in a cross at the second time of asking, Johnson was on hand to poke home from six-yards out.

The three-goal deficit meant that changes were arguably needed at the half-time break if the R's stood any chance of getting back into this one.

With that, Warnock opted for a double switch, bringing on Tommy Smith and DJ Campbell for Derry and Taarabt respectively.

In truth, Rangers appeared to have much more zip and conviction about their play very early on in the second half following the changes.

Wright-Phillips fired an effort just wide of the left-hand post on 48 minutes, before Faurlin forced a smart save from Schwarzer just two minutes later, following an intricate passing move.

However, Fulham didn't relent and almost added a fourth on the counter attack.

Martin Jol's team broke in numbers before the ball eventually fell to Zamora on the edge of the box, whose subsequent forced effort forced a splendid save from Kenny, who flung himself to his right to tip the ball away for a corner.

Number four wasn't far away for Fulham though, who added another in the 60th minute.

It owed much to the superb vision of Murphy, whose quick free-kick slid Johnson in past his marker, before the former Crystal Palace front-man side-footed home with aplomb for his hat-trick from close range.

Sidwell and Zamora soon went close with further efforts, before Fulham made it five on 65 minutes.

Zamora found space down the left and, when his cross was back-heeled by Johnson into the path of Dempsey, he fired home past Kenny from 10-yards out.

Rangers fans were at least given something to cheer about in the 72nd minute, when Mackie made his long awaited return and replaced Bothroyd.

But it was Fulham's day and, just two minutes later, they found a sixth goal.

Dempsey's driving run ended with the USA international midfielder finding Zamora on the edge of the box, who drilled a low shot into the bottom left-hand corner.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Riise, Sidwell, Hangeland, Baird, Johnson (Ruiz 75), Murphy (Etuhu 83), Dempsey, Zamora, Grygera, Dembele (Sa 87).

Subs: Etheridge, Kelly, Senderos, Duff.

Goals: Johnson (2, 39 & 60), Murphy (pen 20), Dempsey (65), Zamora (74)

Bookings: Sidwell (5), Hangeland (69)

QPR: Kenny, Orr, Derry (Smith 46), Hall, Taarabt (Campbell 46), Bothroyd (Mackie 72), Faurlin, Barton, Young, Wright-Phillips, Ferdinand.

Subs: Murphy, Buzsaky, Perone, Helguson.

Bookings: Faurlin (68), Wright-Phillips (82)

Referee: Mr M Marriner


Fulham and QPR played their first competitive match in over a decade on Sunday afternoon and Martin Jol’s team produced a scintillating display that saw his team score six goals, including a hat-trick from Andrew Johnson.

Following Thursday night’s UEFA Europa League victory over Odense BK, Jol made six changes to his team to face local rivals QPR. However it was Thursday night’s goal scoring hero Andrew Johnson who grabbed the headlines on derby day.

Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele were deemed fully fit for Sunday’s game and returned to Fulham’s starting eleven alongside Chris Baird, Zdenek Grygera, Steve Sidwell and John Arne Riise, who were all rested on Thursday evening.

Prior to Sunday’s West London derby Martin Jol had identified Adel Taarabt, Jay Bothroyd, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joey Barton as QPR’s danger men and all four players featured in Neil Warnock’s team.

There was an electric atmosphere at the Cottage for Sunday’s game as temperatures neared the 30 degrees Celsius mark and Fulham exploded into action from the first whistle, with Johnson scoring the fastest goal of the season after just 89 seconds of play.

Johnson’s opportunity arose after Paddy Kenny could only parry away Mousa Dembele’s vicious strike from distance. Johnson was on to the rebound in a flash and Kenny was left with no chance as Johnson fired the ball into the back of the net from close range.

Fulham were unfortunate not to extend their lead on four separate occasions within the first 15 minutes with Dempsey, Dembele and Johnson all going agonisingly close. After such a heavy spell of pressure a second goal was inevitable.

Fulham were quite literally carving QPR apart and after 18 minutes Johnson had the visitor’s defence beaten again, resulting in a stone-wall penalty for the home side after the striker was felled by keeper Paddy Kenny inside the area.

Fulham’s penalty came after Johnson had chased a lost cause down the left flank, capitalising on a moment of hesitancy between Hall and Kenny to skip past the pair before the keeper tripped Johnson for a clear penalty.

Referee Andrew Marriner immediately pointed to the spot and Captain Danny Murphy stepped up to send Kenny the wrong way, firing the ball into the top left hand corner of the goal to double Fulham’s lead.

Crucial to any derby match, Fulham never game QPR a moment’s peace when the visitor’s were in possession. Fulham’s pressure play and work ethic was even more impressive considering the temperature at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

Johnson was causing more havoc amongst QPR’s defensive ranks on 26 minutes as he burst down the right flank to fire in a low cross to Zamora, racing into at the near post. On this occasion Fulham were denied and again so when Sidwell and Dempsey went close ten minutes before half-time.

After 38 minutes Johnson was on the score sheet again, firing home from close range to send Fulham 3-0 before the break. A brace before half-time and Johnson was odds on to claim the match ball in the second half.

After Fulham’s first half rout, QPR manager Neil Warnock made two changes for the second half, replacing Derry and Taarabt with Tommy Smith and DJ Campbell. QPR were certainly more competitive at the start of the second half as they looked to reduce the deficit early on.

Fulham were forced to work hard to contain QPR's early second half assault and in midfield Danny Murphy and Steve Sidwell put in some outstanding challenges as they stood toe-to-toe with a reinvigorated QPR.

Tem minutes into the second half normal service resumed with Jol’s team almost scoring twice in the space of a minute.

First Bobby Zamora fired a curling left-footed shot from the edge of the area that was heading for the top corner before Kenny pulled off a stunning save. Seconds later Sidwell unleashed a blistering 30-yard volley that flew just over the keeper's cross bar.

The Fulham fans in the Hammersmith End didn’t have to wait long for a fourth goal, with Andrew Johnson grabbing his hat-trick with a strike from the right hand side of the area. The match ball was Johnson’s and Fulham were 4-0 ahead before the hour mark.

On a quite incredible afternoon at Craven Cottage, Fulham were not prepared to sit back and bask in their considerable lead. Martin Jol’s team wanted more goals and after Bobby Zamora fired just wide after 62 minutes, Clint Dempsey added a fifth from 12 yards on 65 minutes.

Neil Warnock made his final change of the game with 20 minutes remaining, replacing striker Jay Bothroyd with Jamie Mackie.

Moments later Bobby Zamora hit QPR for six with a shot from the right hand side of the area that arrowed past Kenny into the far corner of the net. After the celebrations ended there was further applause for Andrew Johnson, who was replaced by Bryan Ruiz on 75 minutes.

Johnson received an outstanding ovation from his colleagues and home fans as he left the field of play after netting five goals in one week for Fulham.

Whilst Johnson deservedly grabbed the headlines for his goals, there were Man of Match performances all over the field, including a masterful midfield display from Steve Sidwell. Fulham’s Captain Danny Murphy made way for Dickson Etuhu for the final eight minutes of the match. Two minutes later Mousa Dembele received a standing ovation as he was replaced by Orlando Sa.

Three minutes from time summer signing Bryan Ruiz almost grabbed his first Fulham goal with a strike from the left hand side of the area. Kenny in goal was beaten but Ruiz’ strike flew wide of the far post. Dempsey was next to go close to adding a seventh with a curling shot from inside the area.

It was a clinical display by Fulham who quite simply brushed their local rivals aside on Sunday at the Cottage and crucially claimed a first victory of the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League season.

Fulham could not have gone into the international break in any better style after impressive European and domestic victories this week. Fulham

- Four Year Flashback: "On This Day" - Rowan Vine Joins QPR

- Four Year Flashback: "On This Day" - Jason Jarrett Joins QPR on Loan

- Two Year Flashback: Flashback: FA Chief Condemns Wreckless Club Owners

- VIDEO: Humiliation for QPR at Sheffield Wednesday

- Football Agents (including Dave Barton's Agent) Slam Proposed FIFA Agents/Payments Regulations

- QPR Youth Bradley Simmonds Out on Loan

- Non-Leaguer on Trial With QPR

- Ex-QPR Paul Furlong Turns 43

- Four Year Flashback: John Gregory Axed as QPR Manager...Media Speculation/Names as the Next QPR Manager (Before QPR Managerial turnover went into overdrive!)

- QPR In The Community: Helping Older People Stay Healthy

- Liverpool and Everton Finances/Stadia and Comparison to Manchester Clubs

- A Look at Arsenal Finances/New Stadium

- Rio Ferdinand Loses Privacy Case

Blog Archive