QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, March 04, 2006

re Tommy Doherty Joining Yeovil on Loan -Waddock & Doherty's Comments

Rangers midfielder Tommy Doherty has joined League One Yeovil Town on a one month emergency loan deal.
The former Northern Ireland international is in line to make his debut for the Glovers against Chesterfield on Saturday.
Doherty's season has been plagued by injury, with the 26 year old making just 14 appearances for the Superhoops this term.The busy Easter period could see Doherty play a part in up to six games in a bid to up his fitness before returning to Loftus Road.Doherty began his career at Bristol City before joining Rangers for an undisclosed fee in the summer of 2005."
http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10373~796564,00.html
[NB: The just announced accounts report that QPR signed him from Bristol City for 100,000 pounds]

Western Daily Press
YEOVIL SNAP UP DOHERTY ON LOAN
09:30 - 03 March 2006
Tommy Doherty is bracing himself for a sudden return to action tomorrow - in the familiar settings of League One with Yeovil Town. The Queens Park Rangers midfielder joins the Glovers' survival campaign on-loan for a month, knowing he faces one of the biggest and most challenging tests of his career and will return to Ashton Gate to take on his beloved Bristol City on April 1.Doherty was catapulted into the spotlight during City's 1998 promotion success but signed for Championship outfit QPR last summer after falling out of favour with previous Gate boss Brian Tinnion. The 26-year-old from Bedminster, Bristol, yesterday signed for Yeovil for 31 days with a view to building up his match fitness following a lengthy spell out with a broken leg.The 'Doc', as he is known to his friends and colleagues, has not played in first team football since sustaining the injury to his fibula in the November 19 clash at Plymouth.He faces a trip Chesterfield's Saltergate, a ground he knows well from his City days, as he bids to regain full match fitness.That game will be crucial to Yeovil boss Steve Thompson's team who are battling to beat the drop in League O n e.But the thought of a return to Ashton Gate will be weighing heavily on Doherty's mind.The Bristolian wasn't aware of the clash at the Gate when he signed for the Glovers and said: ""It didn't enter my head that I would be going back there until a mate text me on Wednesday night to say, 'Guess where you're going on April Fool's Day'!"I knew straight away what he was hinting at and it's perhaps not an ideal game for me for sentimental reasons. But I'm not going to think about it now; that era's gone."I never wanted to leave City in the first place and everyone knows it; that was Brian Tinnion's decision."That's not to say I won't be giving my best, though, because I will in that game and over the next month."I've already had a training session with Yeovil and they have some good players from what I can tell."
The main thing for me is to get playing football regularly again and start getting some sharpness back, something that is hard to do when you're playing reserve football."Central midfielder Doherty has made 14 starts and one appearance from the bench for QPR since Ian Holloway took him aboard in the last close season. The former Bristol Rovers manager was recently relieved of his duties at Loftus Road and Gary Waddock handed the caretaker boss reins.It's all meant for a troubled spell for the skilful, tough-tackling Doherty, who is desperate to rekindle the form that made him such a hit with City fans.
He admitted: "It's been disappointing to see what's happened with Ian because he was the one who took me on."I've got two years after this one on my contract at QPR and the new gaffer (Gary Waddock) has told me I'm in his plans; it's just a case of getting games behind me."I've been back for three or four weeks now from the injury but the manager needs results fast and he's said he can't wait on my fitness just now, which is fair enough."We only decided last week I could go out on loan somewhere and my agent called me just before last weekend to tell me of Yeovil's interest and it's gone from there."I'm really looking forward to getting involved again and it's a convenient place for me too as I've continued to live in Bristol!"
http://www.westpress.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=145786&command=displayContent&sourceNode=200219&home=yes&sports=yes&contentPK=14122179


Clubcall - Q.P.R. - Waddock on loan exit EXCLUSIVE 03 Mar 2006
Queens Park Rangers caretaker-boss Gary Waddock believes Tommy Doherty's loan spell at Yeovil will give the chance to get back to full fitness after an injury hit few months.
The midfielder has been out since November with a severely bruised leg, which had been feared as a possible fracture.
However he has been back in action for the resreves but Waddock believes he needs to step up his return by playing more competitive football.
In an exclusive interview with clubcall, Waddock said: 'He needs to play some competitive games at first team level to get his fitness up to where he would want it to be, and where I want it to be.
'We sat down and had a chat, and reserve-team football is not the same and he is going to go down to Yeovil for the month. He should play seven or eight games in that period and we will review the situation after the month
'The idea is to step up his match fitness and he is happy to do it. It is better for him to play in the first-team, the games are more competitive and it should get his match fitness up.'
http://217.158.112.238/vsite/vcontent/content/transnews/0,10869,5034-169529-19728-36699-236427-13916-5024-layout104-186747-news-item,00.html

Blog Archive