QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Gregory Talks About The Lee Camp Transfer Saga and No More Money

-
Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times - JG: I'd almost given up hope
QPR boss John Gregory admits he was close to abandoning his pursuit of Lee Camp last week and bidding for another goalkeeper.
Gregory finally landed his top transfer target last Friday, paying Derby £300,000 to bring the highly-rated England under-21 international back to Loftus Road after two successful loan spells.
But the Rangers manager acknowledged: "We were heading towards a period when I thought I'd have to get somebody and forget all about Lee Camp. By the end of this week I'd have had to do something else.
"Derby basically said they wanted to keep him and he wasn't for sale. I wasn't too sure whether to believe them or not and whether to start looking elsewhere, but we did.
"We've always had a Plan B and indeed a Plan C, people we were looking at if they need arose. It was a bit cat and mouse and I had a sneaking suspicion Derby were originally trying to get someone else they couldn't get.
"So we had to hold fire and play the waiting game, then their Plan B kicked in and fortunately it all came together."
Derby's purchase of Ipswich keeper Lewis Price finally cleared the way for Camp to move to Loftus Road, turning his back on the newly-promoted Rams in search of first-team football.
Camp, who turns 23 later this month, told the Times: "It was a tough decision leaving my home town, but it was there for all to see that I wasn't going to be number one at Derby.
"The opportunity to play football was one I couldn't turn down. I think it was dragged out more by the press than the two clubs involved but, when it's out of your hands, it can become slightly frustrating.
"I have to thank QPR for their patience - they were fantastic during the time this was going on. They could easily have pulled the plug and signed someone else, but they supported me and hopefully I can repay that."
Camp amassed almost a century of appearances for Derby, but has been a hugely popular player at QPR ever since arriving on loan in 2004 and playing a key role in guiding Ian Holloway's side to promotion.
As Rams boss, Gregory gave the keeper his professional debut and he was quick to send for Camp last season, again with enormous success, after Paul Jones and Simon Royce fell from favour.
Camp added: "There's maybe a fear factor in being in new surroundings and not knowing anyone when you start, but I know the club and the area, the manager and many of the boys well, so that wasn't a problem.
"When you get so much support from the fans and everyone inside the club, it makes life a lot easier. This is certainly a place where I've enjoyed my time in the past and that's all I ever want to do, enjoy my football at QPR.
"I think our form towards the end of last season was championship form and if we can take that into the new season, you never know what could happen."
Gregory quickly followed the capture of Camp by paying Charlton £200,000 for 19-year-old midfielder Simon Walton, bringing his number of permanent signings this summer to five.
That will be complemented by two loan deals today, when Chelsea duo Michael Mancienne and Ben Sahar - both of whom played in Rangers' friendlies against Wycombe and Harrow Borough - formally put pen to paper.
Gregory is expected to add a third Chelsea loanee to the squad before the start of the season, possibly attacking midfielder Scott Sinclair, but the manager admitted: "That's it now, the money's all gone.
"The chairman said I could have £500,000 of the proceeds and spend it whichever way I felt fit, whether it was 10 players or one player. I would have paid the whole £500,000 for Lee Camp, trust me, without question.
"Fortunately we got him at a reasonable price and I was able to spend some more money on Simon Walton, who's still only 19 and I think he's got a big future ahead of him.
"We might have to go into the loan market again as the season progresses, but this will probably be the squad that starts for me.
"
Rangers currently have another Chelsea player on trial - midfielder James Simmonds, who also played at both Adams Park and Earlsmead. Kilburn Times

Kilburn Times - Boss believes Cook will be a hit at Fulham
"...Speaking about his efforts to fill the void left by Cook, Rangers boss Gregory said: "It's easy for people to talk about replacing Lee Cook, but to go out and do it is another thing.
"Forward players that win matches are more expensive and nobody wants to let them go. It is extremely difficult and we don't have any money, but we've got to try.
"He played fantastically well for us, but it is a big gamble by Fulham to see whether or not Lee can do it in the Premiership. I think he can, but paying £2.5m is still a big gamble..."
. Kilburn Times

Kilburn Times - Danny's ready for battle
DANNY Nardiello has settled in quickly - but don't be surprised to see him involved in a heated clash with new team-mate Martin Rowlands before long.
The summer signing from Barnsley is an affable, easy-going character, whose eyes have a tendency to light up when a shooting opportunity from a free-kick presents itself.
Rowlands is QPR's dead-ball maestro, though - having smashed in a few lethal free-kicks from distance last season, to say nothing of four crucial penalties.
So there could be some keen competition between the two this season for shooting rights and Nardiello grinned: "I'm sure we'll have an argument every now and then.
"I've scored a few free-kicks in the past, so I do like to take them. I don't know whether the other lads will let me but, if I do, I'll be looking for a few goals.
"The more goals I get the better. You do set yourself targets and my main objectives are to stay fit, make a name for myself here and help QPR to success this season."
Nardiello's name is already well known in the Championship after an impressive two seasons at Barnsley, hitting 14 goals to help them survive last year.
Dexter Blackstock, of course, scored an identical total for a struggling team last season - and the early indications are that the pair can form a profitable partnership for Rangers.
Not that their selection is by any means guaranteed, of course - and, as Rs boss John Gregory pointed out recently, the number 10 shirt is yet to be filled.
"Dexter's a great player - I've played against him a few times before and obviously now seen him in training and he's a good finisher," observed Nardiello.
"I like to come off him a bit and he can stay further upfield, so hopefully we can get plenty of goals this season. With that said, you don't want to get complacent.
"There's a strong squad here already and competition for places is always good. I want to play every week, so I've got to work hard and score goals to make sure I get a place in the team and keep it."
And the 24-year-old Wales international is clearly confident of enjoying a successful career with QPR - he not only turned down the offer of a new contract at Oakwell, but also the chance to play for Coventry, the club he supported as a youngster.
Norwich were also keen to secure Nardiello's signature, but the striker admitted: "After speaking to the gaffer, hearing what he had to say and seeing the set-up here, my mind was made up.
"It was a big decision for me to make - Coventry's the team I supported as a kid and my dad [Donato] also played for them - but I felt QPR was the right move for me and hopefully that'll prove to be the right decision.
"I had a nightmare start last season at Barnsley - I broke my collarbone and was out for the first third of the season and came back into the thick of a relegation battle.
"Hopefully this time I can get a full pre-season under my belt and be pushing for promotion rather than having a struggle at the bottom of the table."
There won't be any arguments from anyone at QPR if that particular wish of Nardiello's comes true. Kilburn Times

Blog Archive