QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Ex-QPR Center-Half Terry Mancini Becomes a Pensioner

-
Former QPR center half, Terry Mancini, turns sixty-five. (Born October 4, 1942)
QPR manager Gordon Jago signed Orient's 29 year-old captain and Center-half, Terry Mancini, in November 1971 to bolster QPR promotion hopes. It didn't work, and initially, Mancini was not a great success and was initially replaced by QPR's own 'home grown" Ian Evans.
But Mancini "worked his way up/back" and QPR were promoted the following season, and Mancini became a firm fan favourite, even if not the world's greatest. And to the amazement of many, he was a major success in QPR's first season back in the First Division and was even capped by the Republic of Ireland.
Mancini was sold to struggling Arsenal in October 1974, shortly before Gordon Jago himself left QPR. Mancini had been replaced by David Webb in the QPR Defense. Record

See QPRNet.com Interview with Terry Mancini QPRnet Q&A Mancini

A Brief Bio - About Terry Mancini
I started my career at Watford FC in 1960 and spent the next 6 year's in and out of Watfords 1st team, progressing at a very slow rate. In 1966, after being given a free transfer by the club I decided to see if I would progress my career by playing abroad.
After a very quick decision, once I had received an offer from PE City in South Africa, I moved 7000 miles from home. Probably the best decision I ever made as once I was away from the comfort and trappings of home, I had to look after myself and integrate with my team mates, on and off the field. It creates a team bond that stays with you forever. It’s amazing how quickly you mature as a person and a player, once you have to look after yourself if you don't give in. The standard of football was probably equivalent to the English 4th division in those days and I quickly adapted to the training and the wonderful SA people and country. In a short space of time and with the help of a large contingent of ex-English players in the side, I was made captain and we went on during the next 20 months and 2 seasons, to win the SA League and Cup.
I then felt I had matured enough as a player and person to come back to England in late 1967 and try my luck in the English league once again. This time, with a much more physical and professional approach and a total feeling of personal confidence, I managed to secure a contract with Leyton Orient and went on to captain them to the 3rd division championship in 1969/70.
In 1971 they transferred me to QPR for a very small amount of £25,000. During my time at QPR I played with some very fine players indeed, in a wonderful side with a great team spirit. Some who are still household names like: Venables, Marsh, Bowles, Parkes, Francis and McLintock. I also gained my first International cap with the Republic of Ireland whilst I was at QPR and went onto win another 5. In 1974 after gaining promotion from the 2nd division into the 1st divison and finally achieving what the manager at Watford at the time he gave me a free transfer, thought I would never do, I played in the 1st Division of the English League. We had gained promotion to the 1st division at QPR and took the 1st division by storm.
During the following season and much to my surprise, I was transferred from QPR to Arsenal for the same amount £25,000 and went on to play for the Gunners at Highbury until 1977. I really felt I had arrived when I stepped out at Highbury and spent the next 3 seasons with Arsenal, playing with some of the greatest names in the game, Ball, Brady, O'Leary, Stapleton etc.
In 1977 I went to play in Los Angeles for the final season of my career and retired in early 1978. I felt I had worked hard enough and achieved more than most would have thought, with the limited ability I had. But the things that always pushed me further was a belief in my own ability, which is very important to any sportsman or individual, work hard at the qualities you have and an attitude that never gives up. It worked for me!! BarwellEvents/Mancini

See Also: Clive Whittingham/QPR Rivals - Profile of Mancini - Rivals/Mancini

Blog Archive