QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Last Chance to Buy Bowles England Cap...Strong QPR Reserve Team Loses... Birthday for Tommy Docherty's First QPR Signing

[UPDATE: May be reading the auction figures wrongly, but it looks like Bowles Cap did not get sold (perhaps because no one met the asking price? - Boreham Bowles cap, #428 Boreham Auction)

Reminder: Stan Bowles' First England Cap Goes Up For Sale Today

£6,000 for Stan’s cap
News and Star - 25 October 2007 - Bowle-r hat: Stan Bowles’s England cap is going under the hammer

THE first England cap won by one of Carlisle United’s most colourful and talented players is expected to fetch up to £6,000 when it is auctioned next week.
The light green velvet cap was awarded to Stan Bowles when he made his debut for England against Portugal in Lisbon on April 3, 1974, not long after leaving Brunton Park. It will be auctioned at Bonhams in Chester next Wednesday.
QPR Official Site - Thu 11 Oct 2007

Football Heroes are organising the auction of a very rare item indeed - one of just five of Stan Bowles' England caps.
Stan being Stan, the whereabouts of three of the caps are unknown, so this is probably one of only two caps that will ever be available.
Football Heroes have entered Stan's debut cap against Portugal in 1974 into Bonham's next Sporting Memorabilia Auction on his behalf.
The auction will be held at New House, 150 Christleton Road, Chester, Cheshire, CH3 5TD on Wednesday 31st October at 11am.
All proceeds from the sale will be split between Stan and his family and it is estimated this rare International cap will sell for at least £5,000 - and ideally Stan would love the cap to go to a QPR fan, which he still sees as his Club.
Catalogues can be ordered from Bonhams on 01244 313 936 or alternatively the sale items can be viewed at www.bonhams.com.
You can bid on the auction in a number of ways:
-The lots can be viewed on Sunday 28th October (10 - 1) Monday 29th October and Tuesday 30th October (10 - 4) and of course you are more than welcome to attend the auction to bid in person.
-You can register to bid by phoning 01244 313 936 and asking for the bids office. You can then either leave absentee bids or register for telephone bids on the day of the sale.
-You can email steveforey@football-heroes.com with a 'sealed / confidential' bid.
*For further details, please contact Steve Forey on 020 8930 4114. Stane Bowles Cap

Sale 15165 - Bonhams - Sporting Memorabilia, 31 Oct 2007
Lot No: 428
Stan Bowles first England Cap
Awarded to Stanley Bowles for his debut game for England v Portugal in 1974. Light green velvet 6 panel cap with silver braid and tassle, English Football Association badge to front with 'Portugal' underneath. 1973/74 to peak.

Place Bid or Track Lot

QPR Reserves 0 Charlton 3 ADDICKS' EXACT REVENGE
Posted on: Tue 30 Oct 2007
The presence of Luigi De Canio in the Loftus Road Director's Box failed to inspire QPR's second string, as they slumped to a 3-0 defeat against Charlton Athletic.
The new Rangers boss looked on, as goals from Jerome Thomas, Darren Ambrose and Izale McLeod handed the Addicks a comfortable away victory in the Pontins Holiday's Combination League.
The fixture followed hot on the heels of the R's 1-0 victory against the Addicks in the Championship four days earlier.
In a lively opening, the visitors had strong appeals for a spot-kick waved away in the third minute, when McLeod appeared to be tripped to ground inside the box by Dominic Shimmin.
Despite the assistant on the far side flagging for a foul, referee Mr Lennard waved away the protests, to the evident relief of the rather fortunate R's defender.
At the other end, Danny Nardiello squandered a decent opportunity to open the scoring in the seventh minute, when he took one touch too many after rounding Charlton keeper Darren Randolph.
The R's first shot on goal arrived on the quarter hour mark, when Stefan Moore pulled a right foot drive well wide of Randolph's right hand post.
But it was the visitors who should've been in front moments later, when McLeod's nod down at the back post fell perfectly for Ambrose, who volleyed wide from inside the six-yard box.
The R's had a penalty appeal of their own turned down in the 20th minute, when Ben Sahar went to ground under Paddy McCarthy's mistimed challenge.
In a free flowing first period, play quickly switched to the other end, where Lloyd Sam fed McLeod, who wastefully fired over from eight yards out.
Nardiello looked sharp on his return from a prolonged spell on the sidelines with a hamstring injury and he was unlucky not to open the scoring midway through the half.
After playing a fortunate one-two off a Charlton defender, the Welsh front-man bore down on goal from a wide position, only to be denied by the on-rushing Randolph.
McLeod squandered another decent chance minutes later, volleying straight at Jake Cole from little more than five yards.
The former MK Dons ace must've wondered what he had to do to beat Cole, when he was denied yet again by the R's custodian, who dived full stretch to his right to tip away his 25-yard effort.
The chance of the half arguably fell Rangers' way on the stroke of half-time, when Sahar's brilliance saw him coast clean through on goal, only to be thwarted by the outstretched fingertips of Randolph.
Undeterred, it was Charlton who headed into the break in front, when Thomas capitalised on a rare defensive slip from Marcus Bignot, to curl a precise effort past the exposed Cole.
The Addicks doubled their lead 11 minutes into the second half, courtesy of Ambrose.
After missing Saturday's Championship fixture at The Valley due to traffic congestion, the midfielder exacted some sort of revenge on the R's with a trademark strike from distance, which nestled into the far corner.
Buoyed by their second goal, the Addicks had further chances to increase their advantage, with Thomas denied from an acute angle by Cole, and Lloyd Sam firing just past the angle of post and bar, after an excellent passing move from the visitors.

The third goal the visitor's second half display undoubtedly warranted arrived in the 76th minute, when McLeod nipped into intercept Andrew Howell's weak back, before rounding Cole and slotting the ball into an empty net.

Second half substitute Romone Rose saw his close range volley clawed to safety by Randolph, albeit at the second attempt, but it was Charlton's night and deservedly so.
QPR Reserves: Cole, Bignot (Coyne 86), Howell, Curtis, Shimmin, Timoska, Baidoo, Jarrett, Sahar (Rose 62), Nardiello (Balanta 86), Moore.
Subs: Crowther, Brown.
Charlton Athletic: Randolph, Moutaouakil, Sankofa, Racon, McCarthy, Bougherra, Sam (Yussef 84), Wagstaff, McLeod, Ambrose (Christensen 84), Thomas (Uchechi 86).
Subs: Thomas, Elliott. QPR

Addicks avenge home defeat
Charlton's reserve side made amends for Saturday's Valley defeat against Queens Park Rangers by winning 3-0 at Loftus Road on Tuesday night.
Manager Alan Pardew joined second-string boss Mark Kinsella in the away dugout as the Addicks fielded a strong XI against their West London rivals.
Jerome Thomas, a half-time substitute in the weekend's defeat, put the Addicks ahead shortly before the half-time break, when Charlton could have easily been more goals to the good.
And Darren Ambrose and Izale McLeod made the visitors' dominance count in the second half.
Izale McLeodThomas reacted quickly as he caught the QPR right-back in possession and the winger drilled his shot into the left-hand corner with 43 minutes on the clock.
Ambrose, returning from an ankle injury, doubled the Addicks' lead with a long drive from outside the box 13 minutes into the restart.
Striker McLeod had created a couple of good chances in the opening period, but he had to wait until the 76th-minute for his second reserve goal, when he latched onto a Thomas through ball to beat the home stopper and complete the victory.
A more detailed report will follow Wednesday morning. Charlton

Birthday: Peter Davidson - Tommy Docherty's First & Shortest-Term QPR Signing, Peter Davidson, Turns 51
Born October 31, 1956. Winger, Davidson, was signed by new manager Tommy Docherty, from Berwick in July 1979 for 40,000 pounds: The first of a considerable number of players signed by Docherty. Davidson made one appearance for QPR as substitute and rejoined Berwick in December 1979. (He then played 170 additional games for Berwich before joining Newcastle Blue Star in 1986)

Blog Archive