QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Chris Wright No Longer WASPS Chairman

-
News about QPR's current (co) Life President, Chris Wright. This occurred last month but just came across it.

WASPS - London Wasps announces John O'Connell as new ChairmanDate: Wed 19 Sep 2007. Fiona Hackett reports
London Wasps is pleased to announce that John O'Connell, previously Vice Chairman, will take over from the current Chairman of London Wasps Holdings, Chris Wright effective from September 19th 2007.
John has been playing an increasingly more significant role in all Wasps' matters since he joined the board some three years ago and his assuming the Chairmanship recognises this contribution.
Chris will remain on the board and retain his current shareholding in London Wasps Holdings.
John O'Connell commented: 'I am honoured to be appointed Chairman of such a great club, whose on the field success speaks for itself. It is up to me and my colleagues to ensure our off the field performance attains this same high level, over time.'
'Chris Wright has been a fabulous, supportive Chairman and I will have a hard act to follow, the challenge of which I am relishing. I think my appointment should be seen in the context of another step in re-engineering our management -following on as it does from the recent appointment of Steve Hayes as a non-executive director and Tony Copsey as CEO.'
Chris Wright said 'I have no intention of walking away from Wasps or reducing my emotional or financial commitment. I will remain the largest individual shareholder and will be available to assist John in everyway possible - as John has assisted me over the last three years. He will have my unflinching support and I hope that the success of the club will continue unabated.
'I have had a great time during the 10 years I have been at the helm, during which period from the start of professional rugby London Wasps has become one of the two pre-eminent teams in England. Over the ten year period we have won ten trophies including two Heineken Cups, four league titles, including three consecutive Premiership finals, two Tetley Bitter cups, a Parker Pen Shield and the Powergen Cup. An astonishing record for any club in any sport.
'However, in common with many other teams in the English professional game, Wasps face enormous challenges going forward and it's time that someone else has an opportunity to breathe new life into the route forward. '
'In addition, following the sale of its radio division this summer, Chrysalis is in the position where it requires re-focusing and I expect this will demand a significant amount of my time over the course of the next couple of years.' WASPS

Who's Who at WASPS

Blog Archive