QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, October 01, 2007

QPR's Caretaker Manager, Mick Harford Speaks and is Profiled

-
QPR Official Site EXCLUSIVE: HARFORD SPEAKS
Mick Harford has revealed that he took the job of Caretaker Manager with the blessing of John Gregory.
Speaking exclusively to www.qpr.co.uk, the 48 year-old spoke of his admiration for his predecessor and insists the players owe it to him - and the fanatical R's supporters - to start producing the goods.
"Gianni called me last night and told me what had happened," said Harford.
"I spoke to John at length and told him the Chairman had offered me the job as Caretaker Manager. John told me to go for it and to look after the Club.
"It's a shame that John has gone because he is a good man and a good Manager, who put a good infrastructure in place."
Harford added: "It's a good opportunity for me, but in difficult circumstances. I have been in this position before at Wimbledon and Nottingham Forest. I know what the situation is - if you win games then you get an opportunity to manage the Football Club. It's all about winning, and that's what I am here to do.
"We came in this morning and the Chairman was here. He asked me if I was ready for the task and I told him 'Of course I am.' We then had a meeting with the players, although I think the news had filtered through to a lot of them by then.
"They were surprised because John was a great character around the place, and the players liked him a lot. I think they know that they owe him. Hopefully we can win on Wednesday and the players can credit the victory to John."
Harford, who joined the R's from our forthcoming opponents Colchester United in the summer, added: "Player selection will be down to me and I will pick what I believe is the best team to beat Colchester.
"There are a lot of ironies in football. It's amazing, all of a sudden, that I am managing QPR and taking them to the team that I recently left.
"The Rangers fans are a great bunch and they deserve a lot of respect for travelling far and wide to support the team. All I ask is that they get behind us at Layer Road, and I am sure the players will put out for them. I will certainly be driving them on to do exactly that." QPR

QPR Official Site - IN PROFILE: MICK HARFORD
After a successful 21-year spell as a player, Mick Harford learned his managerial trade at former Club Wimbledon.
It was there that he developed his skills, before following his old boss Joe Kinnear, back to Luton Town following the Hatters' relegation to Division Three.
Harford helped master-mind the successful promotion season of 2001/02, as Luton stormed to promotion back to the Second Division.
However, a takeover at the Bedfordshire-based outfit eventually saw him replaced, although Harford soon returned as Director of Football, as well as being First Team Coach, working alongside Mike Newell.
Harford helped Newell's Luton side to a tenth place finish and with his profile rising, he swapped a League One title quest with the Hatters, for a Championship dog-fight at Nottingham Forest, working as assistant to Kinnear.
Kinnear was to last only a few more weeks at the Club, before Forest's poor form forced him to leave the City Ground. Harford was then appointed Caretaker Manager, and he performed admirably despite the problems at the Club. Gary Megson was then appointed Manager full-time in January 2005, and Harford left the Club.
Out of work for only a little while, Harford teamed up with Andy King at Swindon Town in a deal that would run until the end of the 2004/05 season. However, Harford never made it until the end of the season with Swindon, as in April 2005, he was appointed the new Manager of Rotherham United, who were relegated from the Championship at the end of the 2004/05 season.
Harford had an impressive start to his managerial career, but after a run of 17 games without a win, he was replaced by Alan Knill. Harford finished the season at Millwall, coaching the strikers at the Club before their relegation from the Championship at the end of the 2005/06 season.
Harford then joined his former Derby County team-mate Geraint Williams at Colchester United in the summer of 2006, becoming the Club's Assistant Manager.
Harford joined QPR as First Team Coach in the summer and today, in his 30th year in the professional game, he has been named as Caretaker Manager, following the termination of John Gregory's contract. QPR

Blog Archive