QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

QPR Chairman Flavio Briatore Resigns From Renault...Fans Wonder About Briatore's QPR Future?

- For additional up-to-the-minute news about QPR, mixed in with "retro" lookbacks at QPR; along with some items of general football interest: Visit the combination blog and messageboard, QPR Report Messageboard. A site without the messsageboard ad-hominems, all perspectives genuinely welcomed!

- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!


- Standard Update: "...He is also part-owner of Queens Park Rangers and although the club refused to make any comment today, his future with the West London club must now also be uncertain.
- Former Team owner Eddie Jordan said: “While he's a good guy socially and well respected, now people will look on it in a different way. Will the FA allow him to continue to run a club? The ramifications in this for Flavio are very extreme, very difficult, and he will be devastated by what he's had to do.” Standard

- The Times/Edward Gorman: 'Crashgate' scandal a disgraceful end for Flavio Briatore

Paul Warburton/London Informer - Briatore could be stripped of QPR chairmanship
- A LITTLE known clause in Football League rules could see Flavio Briatore stripped of his QPR chairmanship.
- Under the guidelines of the League's 'right and proper persons' code allowing individuals to become directors of football clubs - your favourite local paper has discovered a clause that makes it plain a ban from another sport carries over to football.
- The Rs supremo walked away from his other role as chief of Formula 1's Renault Team on Wednesday before next Monday's meeting of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris, who are charged with finding the truth behind ‘Crashgate’.
- The 59-year-old had vehemently denied he tried to get Nelson Piquet Jr to crash his Renault car in last year’s Singapore Grand Prix to lever his team-mate Fernando Alonso into a better chance of success - but his resignation from Renault casts a massive shadow over his innocence.
- If the Council decide to ban Briatore from future involvement with F1 anyway - the League are ready to step up their interest in the millionaire whose money and influence saved Rs from bankruptcy two years ago.
- No-one at the Football League was willing to go on record, but a source close to the body confirmed the clause, and admitted interest in Briatore would be stepped up if banned from F1.
- "Within the list of disqualifying conditions the following is included," said the source.
- " ‘Anyone subject to a ban from involvement in the administration of a sport by a sports governing body or such other similar forms of disqualification as may operate from time to time’.
- "At the moment, everything is hypothetical, but the Football League are keeping an eye on the outcome of events."
- QPR suffered their first-ever postponement of a league match in September in a 127 years when the game against Crystal Palace was called off an hour before kick-off on Tuesday.
- Although Hoops had a brand new £500,000 surface laid in the summer, it couldn't cope with the deluge that still had hundreds of fans fuming at wasted trips from afar as Sussex, while Chelsea down the road completed a 1-0 home win over Porto in the Champions League. London Informer

Press Association Renault chiefs quit
- Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds have sensationally quit Renault.
- The news comes as the team have decided not to contest the recent allegations made against them, that they conspired with then driver Nelson Piquet Junior to cause a crash at last year's Singapore Grand Prix.
- Despite Briatore's assertion during last weekend's Italian Grand Prix of no wrongdoing, the departure of the team's managing director and executive director of engineering would now appear to point to their guilt. Press Association

Official Renault Statement - Renault team release statement
The Renault Formula One team issued the following press release on Wednesday:
The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.
It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.
Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment. Renault

AutoSport- Briatore and Symonds leave Renault
By Matt Beer Wednesday, September 16th 2009

Renault has announced that team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering chief Pat Symonds have parted company with the team and that it will "not dispute" the allegations of race-fixing when it appears before the World Motor Sport Council next week.

The team had been accused of asking driver Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately during last year's Singapore Grand Prix in order to cause a safety car period that would work to his team-mate Fernando Alonso's advantage. The Spaniard went on to win the race.

"The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix," said a statement from the team.

"It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

"Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment."

Shortly before losing his drive with Renault, Piquet approached the FIA with the allegation that Briatore and Symonds had asked him to cause a deliberate accident that would bring out the safety car in Singapore, and that his heavy crash on lap 14 of the race had therefore been pre-planned.

Alonso - who had been a contender for pole until a qualifying fuel pump failure left him only 15th on the grid - had made a very early pitstop just before the caution caused by Piquet's crash and duly vaulted to the front of the field, from where he delivered Renault's first victory of a difficult season.

FIA investigators quizzed Briatore, Symonds and other team members over the incident during the Belgian GP weekend, and subsequently announced that the team would face a World Motor Sport Council hearing in Paris on 21 September.

Evidence, including Piquet's statement, telemetry details and radio transmissions, was leaked to the media during last weekend's Monza event, which also saw Renault announce that it would take legal action against Piquet and his triple world champion father Nelson, accusing both of blackmail.

The saga then took another twist when it emerged that the FIA had offered Symonds immunity at the hearing in exchange for full disclosure of the facts surrounding the Singapore incident.

As the Renault team - rather than Briatore and Symonds themselves - has been charged over the allegations, today's announcement by the team is unlikely to have any bearing on next week's hearing" Autosport

URGENT : Briatore, Symonds resign over race-fixing
Formula One News Sep 16, 2009, 11:24 GMT
Hamburg - Renault team boss Flavio Briatore and chief engineer Pat Symonds on Wednesday left the Formula One team over a race-fixing scheme.
Renault also said in a statement that that it 'will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.'
In the scheme, former driver Nelson Piquet Jr said that he was asked to crash his car in that race to allow teammate Fernando Alonso a better chance of winning. http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport/formulaone/article_1501493.php/URGENT-Briatore-Symonds-resign-over-race-fixing

Daily Mail - Renault Accept Race-Fixing
Renault accept race-fixing charge as disgraced Flavio Briatore is forced out of F1

Flavio Briatore has been drummed out of Formula One in disgrace.
The Renault team boss - along with No 2 Pat Symonds - will leave with immediate effect after being accused of rigging the outcome of last season's Singapore Grand Prix.
Having let Briatore go, Renault will not dispute the charges made against them, a compromise which is likely to result in the team remaining in Formula One for the foreseeable future.
Hitting the skids: Flavio Briatore is leaving Renault as team boss
Probe: Allegations of race-fixing centre on Nelson Piquet Jnr's crash at the Singapore Grand Prix last September
In a statement, Renault said: 'The ING Renault F1 Team will not ispute the recent llegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

'It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

'Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment.'
Briatore, a controversial figure and self-made millionaire who owns Queens Park Rangers Football Club, has yet to make any comments of his own, but he is unlikely to go quietly.Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-1213878/FORMULA-ONE-Renault-accept-race-fixing-charge-flamboyant-Flavio-Briatore-leaves-team-boss.html#ixzz0RGhOWYOZ


Ballymoney Times - QPR boss Magilton to guest at awards bash

JIM MAGILTON - former Northern Ireland star and current boss of English mega-bucks side Queens Park Rangers - will be the special guest at this year's North Antrim Sports Awards.
Magilton, who also works as a commentator for the BBC during Northern Ireland matches, said he was delighted to be invited along to the gala event, widely regarded as the highlight of the local sporting calendar.

His former international team-mate Michael O’Neill, who is the manager of League of Ireland side Shamrock Rovers, is also expected to attend.

Magilton enjoyed a successful playing career most notably with Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton and Ipswich - who he later managed.

He represented Northern Ireland on 52 occasions - seven of which as captain - and was linked with the manager’s job in the wake of Lawrie Sanchez’s departure but distanced himself from the role as he felt he lacked the necessary managerial experience at the time.

He was chosen ahead of a long line of candidates for the top job at QPR back in June by club owners Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone.

At the time Ecclestone, said: “We had an incredibly high number of applicants but Jim was the stand-out candidate for the role.”

Magilton is certain to provide a unique insight into the goings on at one of England’s most established clubs as well as relaying anecdotes from his days in the Premiership and representing his county at international level. Putting the questions to Magilton will be top BBC sports presenter Joel Taggart.

Magilton’s presence at Lissanoure Castle on Saturday 10 October is a major coup for the organisers - the Ballymoney and Moyle Times.

In its second year, the North Antrim Sports Awards promises to be one of the highlights of the sporting calendar and will feature the cream of local sporting talent.

Last year's inaugural awards was a huge success attracting leading figures from the sporting world.

Complete Gyms - suppliers of state-of-the-art gym equipment - is again providing principal sponsorship for this year's awards with a number of other local businesses also weighing in with significant financial backing.

So with the awards coming up fast on the rails, it means there's only a matter of weeks to go until we announce the top sporting winners for 2009.

As ever, the awards will feature Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year, with Junior versions of both, as well as recognition for the best teams and coaches that Ballymoney and Moyle has produced this year.

But, in addition, the awards will feature a number of exciting categories which are aimed at giving proper recognition to sports stars performing at all levels of their chosen field. Ballymoney Times

- QPR reportedly Paying a considerable part of Helguson's wages while at Watford - "...During his loan switch, QPR have agreed to contribute to a considerable proportion of the striker’s wages." QPR Paying --- Announcements of Helguson Joining Watford on Loan

[Note: Helguson has almost two years left on his QPR contract] [-- Players' Length of QPR Contracts]

- Contribute to an Article on Alec Stock
"From Ron Norris on QPRNet - "I'm working on an article about Alec Stock and I'm looking for fans who were around at the time to contribute. If you're interested in getting involved please email ron@qprnet.com and I'll send you a quick Q and A to fill in. Your comments will then be included in the article." Many thanks!" QPRnet

- On This Day: Stan Bowles Made His QPR Debut
Add a memory

- Thirty-Three Years ago yesterday, QPR started their European Adventure with a Stan Bowles hatrick

- Also On This Day: September 16, 1996 - Stuart Houston Appointed QPR Manager: Ex-QPR Chairma Nick Blackburn on the Houston Era

- Also on This Day, three Years Ago: Waddock's Last Game in Charge

- Three Ex-QPR Birthdays Today

Game Cancellation Responses - QPR Official Site MAGILTON: 'WE'RE REALLY DISAPPOINTED'
." QPR

- Daily Star

- Latest "Crashgate" Stories

- Portsmouth Chief Executive, Peter Storrie denies remarks attributed to him from a meeting of Fan Groups

- Maradonna Enters Italian Weight-loss Clinic

- Crazy Concept: "Decent Coaching...Counts"

- Implied criticism of QPR Fans' Impatience

- Restrictions on Clubs' Squad Sizes Force Overhauls

- New Premiership Financial Regulations and Requirements

- Flasback I: One Year Ago: Ticket Price Increase Announced

- Flashack II: Year Ago - QPR and the New Kiyan Prince Foundation Announced -- Visit The Kiyan Prince Foundation

- Flashback: Four Years Ago: QPR1st's Report of their Meeting with "post Board-room coup/Incoming Chairman" Gianni Paladini

- QPR Attendances: QPR and Other Clubs Average Attendance for past few seasons

- Football Fans and the English Defense League

- More re F1 Claims/Responses, Etc

- F1-Assertion stories .....F1 "Situation" Assessed

Blog Archive