QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

QPR Report: Nottingham Forest Loss...Routledge Comments...QPR Want Hulse?

-
- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!

- Also available: The combined messageboard and QPRnews quasi-blog QPR Report Messageboard! Check Back throughout the day for comprehensive QPR-related news snippets. All QPR Perspectives genuinely Welcomed

- Football Support for Haiti

- Ten Best Football Advertisements

- "On This Day" - Some past January 27 QPR Results

- Crystal Palace in Administration

- Compilation of Nottingham Forest vs QPR Match Reports and Comments

- The Routledge Sale


Newcastle Journal Live - Wayne Routledge: I hope to settle at Magpies Jan 27 2010 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

Wayne Routledge hopes his travelling days are over after signing for Newcastle United, as he tells Mark Douglas in an exclusive interview

WAYNE Routledge believes a move to Newcastle United will signal the end of his days as a footballing nomad – and give him the perfect platform to fulfil the potential that once saw him tipped for an England call-up.

The 25-year-old, capped at England under-16, under-19 and under-21 levels during the early parts of his burgeoning career, has eight different clubs on his CV including spells at Tottenham, Aston Villa and Fulham.

It has been a frustrating career path for Routledge, who freely admits the constant changes have dented his reputation as one of the Football League’s most promising talents.

He believed that moving to cash-rich QPR in 2008 would be the move that would give him stability, but the incredible circumstances at Loftus Road – which Routledge diplomatically opted not to talk about – meant he was always likely to be on the move in January.

“I know I have had a lot of clubs but it’s not like I have not been trying to settle over the last few years,” he said.

“I thought QPR was going to be the answer and I would be staying there for a while. I signed for them and thought that would be it but things happened that were out of my control. I wanted stability but there is only so much you can do about it.

“I don’t really want to talk about the politics there because this is a fresh start for me and a huge opportunity at a massive club. I’m excited and this is the perfect place to put down roots – I’d have been mad to turn it down
.

I’ve signed for three-and-a-half years and I intend to see that out and be a Premier League player with Newcastle by the start of next season.

“Everyone wants to play at the top level and this is a huge chance for me to do that at one of the biggest clubs in the country.”

It could have been different for Routledge, who consulted former team-mate Jermaine Jenas before making the switch to Tyneside.

Newcastle made their move on Monday – beating Middlesbrough and another Championship club to the punch. Once he talked to Chris Hughton, there was only one option.

“Newcastle came in really, really late and I had spoken to other clubs and thought I was going there,” he said. “No offence to them but as soon as I knew Newcastle were coming in for me, my mind was made up. I was excited the minute I heard their name mentioned – and that sort of reaction convinces you that the move is right.

“I also know Chris from his time at Tottenham and have a lot of respect for him. He’s a great guy to work with and you can tell from talking to the other players that he’s a good manager.”

If Newcastle supporters were surprised about the Routledge signing, they will be even more shocked about the man who recommended the club to him.

Jenas famously regarded the club as a ‘goldfish bowl’ and left after struggling to cope with the attention placed on him – but it turns out he has delivered glowing references about the club.

“One of the big people that I know who has a Newcastle link is Jermaine Jenas and he couldn’t speak highly enough of the place,” Routledge said.He talked about it with the highest respect and said it was a great club and a brilliant place to play your football.

“Of course I know a bit about Newcastle United anyway, everyone who knows football knows about this club. I’m delighted to be getting the chance.”

Routledge’s signing is an important sign of intent from owners who have been reticent to back their managers during January transfer windows.

Whatever your opinion of Ashley and company, however, it must be recognised that sanctioning the purchase of the pacey winger is admirably forward thinking.

It had been assumed that United’s owner would only fork out to bring in players where there was a dire need for cover, but right-winger Routledge has arrived despite the presence of Danny Guthrie and the unproven Fabrice Pancrate in the squad.

Quick and attack-minded, he has the potential to offer the kind of offensive options that will excite Newcastle fans, who will remember him as their chief tormentor when QPR put the frighteners on them at St James’ Park earlier in the season.

“I hope I can be the kind of player who gets the fans off their seats. I know the supporters round here appreciate attacking football from the Kevin Keegan days and I am a player who likes going at defences with the ball at my feet,” he said.

“I like to create goals and score goals and with the attacking options that this squad has got, I can’t wait to get out there.

“There’s some frightening talent in the squad. I was introduced to them yesterday morning and everywhere I looked there were internationals, guys with Champions League experience – all of them top, top players. The quality is definitely there to get us out of the Championship.

“I have joined a proper club that gets huge crowds. It is a mad football town which I know from playing here for other clubs. In my mind I have joined a Premier League club playing in the Championship – and the potential is frightening.” Newcastle Journal Live

- Year Flashback: Routledge Joins QPR - And what he reportedly cost


London Informer/Paul Warburton - Rangers chase Derby hitman Rob Hulse
- QPR have set their sights on striker Rob Hulse.
-The Derby County hitman also interests Middlesbrough, who ironically lost out in the chase for Wayne Routledge after the Rs winger joined Newcastle instead on Tuesday.
-But flush with the £2 million they made on the Routledge deal, Hoops are prepared to pay Derby a loan transfer fee as well as take on the 30-year-old’s £6k-a-week wages.
- Hulse has made 18 appearances for the Rams this season, but is far from Nigel Clough’s number one choice with the County manager preferring both Chris Porter and Steve Davies.
- Age is also a factor in Clough’s preference, but 30-year-old Hulse has the credentials to play as lone front man or alongside Jay Simpson in a revamped attack shorn of Patrick Agyemang, now on loan at Bristol City for the rest of the season. Gazette

Blog Archive