QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, April 23, 2010

QPR Report Friday: Tony Ingham RIP....Warnock Fined...Faurlin Contract Talks...Play at Loftus Road for Charity...Barnsley Previews

- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!

- Visit the football-only new-look QPR Report Messageboard throughout the day for the latest QPR Updates and discussion.

- Ex-QPR DJ Campbell Arrested in Stabbing Incident

- John Gregory Profiled and Interviewed

- Article on Indian Sports briefly notes re Lakshmi Mittal Involvement

- QPR's Lakshmi Mittal Ranked as World's Richest Football Club Owner


QPR Official Site - TONY INGHAM
- It is with great sadness that Queens Park Rangers Football Club has learned of the passing of former player and Director, Tony Ingham.
- Tony, who made a record 548 appearances for the Club, died on Wednesday afternoon following a recent illness.
- After serving his apprenticeship at Leeds United, Tony's QPR career began on November 25th 1950 in a home fixture against Doncaster Rovers.
- He went on to make 514 League appearances and 34 Cup appearances, scoring three goals.
- To this day, he holds the Club record of making 273 successive League (251) and Cup (22) appearances between February 25th 1956 and September 12th 1962; including five seasons as an ever-present.
- He played his last match for the R's against Halifax, before retiring in 1963.
- However, his love affair with the Super Hoops continued thereafter, assisting on the commercial side of the business.
After fulfilling a variety of roles off the pitch, he became a Commercial Director in 1981 - a role he enjoyed at the Club he always called his own.
- His son, David, said: "Tony was QPR through and through. This was his Club and he enjoyed some of the finest moments of his wonderful life playing for the Hoops."
- If you would like to send a message of condolence to Tony's family, please e-mail mr.ingham@hotmail.co.uk
- Details of Tony's funeral will follow in due course.
- The thoughts of the Club are with Tony's family and friends at this sad time.
- Tony Ingham - R.I.P
- *The Club will be paying its respects to Tony Ingham at our fixture against Newcastle United on the final day of the season. Further details will follow in due course. QPR
- Tony Ingham

- QPR1st Postpone Their AGM (and Flashback to The Birth of QPR1st)

- "Play The Ground Location Game"

- Flashback: Dave McIntyre Compares QPR Transfer Dealings with Other (more successful) Clubs

- Three Year Flashback: New QPR Contract for John Gregory

- Further Updates re Portsmouth's Unbelievable Size of Portsmouth's Debt: Almost 120 Million Pounds

- "Groundsmen of The Year" Winners

FA - Commission hearings Thursday, 22 April, 2010 - Neil Warnock and Paul Lambert both fined for improper conduct.
- A Regulatory Commission hearing today heard charges issued against QPR manager Neil Warnock and Norwich City manager Paul Lambert.
- Warnock was fined £1,000 and warned as to his future conduct. He admitted improper conduct in relation to post match comments made whilst manager of Crystal Palace following Palace’s FA Cup match against Aston Villa on 14 February...." FA Fined

Ealing Gazette/Paul Warburton - QPR star set to open contract talks
- QPR will sit down on Monday with Alejandro Faurlin to persuade the midfielder his future is with them – and not two top clubs trying to lure the £3.5million Argentine away.
- Rangers are set to dangle the carrot of a hike in wages on his three-year deal provided he ignores the overtures from Celtic and an unnamed Premiership club.
- Faurlin’s agent, Lucas Cominelli revealed the midfielder’s rise to prominence has courted outside attention.
- Cominelli said: “There are things to discuss with QPR, and in the next week or so we should know more.”
- However, the 23-year-old is more than happy to commit to Rangers, after a first season when he got better and better despite playing under five different managers.
- But for once, Faurlin's background was actually a bonus in dealing with the constant stream of departures.
- He said: “In Argentina it’s normal. When you lose three or four games, he (the manager) is gone.
- “But every new manager has different ideas of how to play – and that’s not always easy to understand straight away.”
- Despite the rollercoaster that has been QPR’s season, Faurlin does not regret leaving his home country for a second.
- In his first-ever interview since arriving from Instituto El Cordoba last summer, the Argentine reckons he owes a debt of gratitude to Rangers – and is looking to repay the faith shown in him by the club.
- He said: “Yes it was difficult at first with the language and different football.
- “And it’s true we didn’t have as good season as we wanted. But I thank Gianni Paladini (chairman) for bringing me here and giving me the chance to prove myself in England.
- “Personally I think I got better, and I am very happy and comfortable here – and Neil Warnock is a very positive manager. He knows what he wants, and he trusts me.”
Ealing Gazette

QPR Official Site -WARNOCK'S XI v CURLE'S XI - Ever fancied playing at Loftus Road? Well now is your chance.
- On Saturday 8th May at 2.00pm, a Neil Warnock XI will lock horns with a Keith Curle XI, as the two men do battle in a competitive match for the very first time in W12.
- The duo will be joined by Amit Bhatia and Ishan Saksena, as well as a couple of other QPR staff members - and the good news is you could join them.
- We've got 16 places in each squad up for grabs for supporters over the age of 18 - and all you have to do is place the highest bid to claim your position in the squad.
- All proceeds from the auction will go to QPR in the Community Trust.
- On Monday morning, bidding will begin on the coveted goalkeepers positions, before we open the defender, midfielder and striker positions later in the week.
- The day itself promises to be one to remember.
- After arriving at the ground, the players will be taken to a hospitality suite to meet the rest of their team, before being ushered down to the First Team dressing rooms to get changed into their kit.
- Then it's out onto the hallowed turf to get warmed up before playing a unique 90 minute match, with Messrs Warnock and Curle bellowing instructions from the sidelines.
- Post-match awards will be presented after the game for both man-of-the-match and moment-of-the-match.
- Details of how the bidding process will work will follow on www.qpr.co.uk on Monday morning. QPR

Next Barnsley:

Barnsley Official Site FINAL HOME GAME: ALL ABOUT THE Rs

ALL about Rangers.
A player with outstanding individual ability, Akos Buzsaky made an immediate impact following his move to W12 from fellow Championship outfit Plymouth Argyle.

The Hungarian international, who initially joined on loan prior to making the deal permanent in January 2008, scored six goals in his first 13 appearances, and ended the campaign with ten goals to his name.

Buzsaky's taste for the spectacular also saw him scoop the Kiyan Prince Goal of the Season award, but his first full season in W12 proved to be a frustrating one, with the talented ace notching just a solitary goal in his five league starts.

The midfielder suffered an Anterior Cruciate Ligament injury in the R's Carling Cup tie against Manchester United in November, which ruled him out for the remainder of the season.

Born in Sheffield on December 1 1948, Warnock spent most of his playing days as a winger at clubs in the north of England.

He began his career in 1967 at Chesterfield prior to spells at Rotherham United, Hartlepool United, Scunthorpe United, Aldershot and Barnsley.

In 1978 Neil had a taste of professional football management at York City, where he took charge for one game after joining as a player.

A year later he made his 326th and final career appearance having signed for Crewe Alexandra.

His first full managerial job was with Northern Premier League side Gainsborough Trinity in 1981, before taking charge of Burton Albion.

Neil's next assignment saw him manage Scarborough in August 1986. Within a year he he had led the North Yorkshire club into the Football League for the first time in their history.

This achievement, as well as stabilising Scarborough's position as a professional club, alerted Notts County, who made Neil their manager in January 1989.

Neil led County to promotion into the old Division Two at the end of his first full season at Meadow Lane, and he repeated the feat a year later as they made it into the top flight in the a season that also saw them reach the FA Cup Sixth Round.

Neil left County in 1993 and took charge of Huddersfield Town. After getting the club to Wembley in the Autoglass Trophy in his first season, Neil took the Terriers to the second tier a year later. He then joined Plymouth and, once again, within a year he had spearheaded a promotion campaign, hauling Argyle out of the bottom flight via the play offs.

Spells at Oldham and Bury followed, before Neil was appointed manager of Sheffield United in December 1999. In his seven years at Bramall Lane, Neil led United to FA Cup and League Cup Semi-Finals, the First Division Play-off Final and then, in May 2006, promotion to the Premier League.

After leaving the club the following summer, Neil released his autobiography, 'Made in Sheffield'. He joined QPR in 2007 before making the move across London earlier this season.

QPR 5 (Leigertwood 8; Buzsaky 15, 39; Watson 67; Foster OG 79)
BARNSLEY 2 (Foster 50, Gray 54)

BARNSLEY made a real fight of it in the second half but let QPR off the hook after battling back from three down at the break.

Despite an impressive performance in midweek against Burnley, Reds boss Mark Robins rang the changes at Loftus Road with Nathan Doyle, Ryan Shotton, Carl Dickinson and Andy Gray all coming into the starting eleven. Julian Gray and Rob Kozluk dropped to the bench while injury kept out Darren Moore and Jon Macken.

Barnsley were on the back foot inside the first two minutes when Wayne Routledge managed to dig out a cross from the right that skipped off Stephen Foster's head and dropped nicely for Akos Buzsaky at the back post. The midfielder smashed the ball well but Shotton was in the right place to make a telling block.

The Reds responded well and Iain Hume's third minute corner caused absolute chaos in the Rangers area. The ball bounced around and eventually fell to Anderson but the Brazilian could not find the top corner and blazed high over.

Barnsley went even closer two minutes later as Anderson's first time pass sent Hume in behind the QPR defence. The striker hit his shot well but the ball just curled wide of the far post with Radek Cerny at full stretch.

QPR grabbed the lead on eight minutes but the Reds really only have themselves to blame after allowing Mikele Leigertwood to run half the length of the field and smack a low drive past David Preece from the edge of the area.

Things went from bad to worse on 15 minutes when Ben Watson picked out a fine pass to split the Reds defence wide, wide open and send Buzsaky through on goal. Buzsaky did not need a second invitation to plant a deflected shot past Preece and into the far corner.

Rangers were rampant and almost had a third on 18 minutes as again Watson picked open the new-look Barnsley defence to put Routledge through and the winger beat Preece from a tight angle only for his effort to cannon away off the foot of the far post.

Barnsley slowly found their feet and Hugo Colace saw a shot cannon away for a corner on 19 minutes after Rangers had failed to deal with Shotton's long throw.

Good play by Doyle then caught Rangers flat-footed on 23 minutes as he found Anderson on the edge of the box but the midfielder was denied a goal as Cerny dove to grab his curling effort. Butterfield then lashed a volley high over the bar moments later as the Reds enjoyed their best spell of the game in QPR territory. It was the right reaction from the visitors.

Barnsley were still looking shaky on the counter attack and good play by Rowan Vine and Jay Simpson gave Martin Rowlands the chance to shoot on 28 minutes but the ball crashed in the Colace and away. Buzsaky then hammered one a foot or so over the top from 22 yards seconds later.

The Reds finally got in behind QPR on the half hour as Jacob Butterfield never gave the ball up and ended up at the byline after Gary Borrowdale had missed his clearance. Butterfield put a goal on a plate for Andy Gray but Damion Stewart was in the right place to put the striker off and the chance went begging.

Adam Hammill then had Cerny scrambling as he curled one from 25 yards on 31 minutes but his effort just flew wide of the post.

Rangers forced to play again on 33 minutes as Watson put Barnsley under pressure from Watson's corner. Stewart saw a header deflect over the top of Preece's goal.

It was a case of one tackle, one booking for Shotton on 36 minutes as the on loan defender went in hard on Leigertwood. It was a nothing tackle but referee Karl Evans was quick to show a yellow card.

Barnsley crafted another fine chance on 38 minutes as Doyle's long ball gave Gray something to attack in the area. Gray knocked the ball down to Hume, who's quick feet found Anderson but Borrowdale appeared from nowhere to stop the Brazilian rolling a shot past Cerny.

QPR ended Barnsley's brave fight in spectacular fashion just moments later. If the Reds' defence had been at fault for the opening goals, there was nothing they could have done about Buzsaky's audacious strike from 35 yards which flew over Preece and into the top corner.

Anderson picked up a booking practically from the restart while Rowan Vine almost added a fourth on 42 minutes when he tricked his way into the area before bringing a fine one-handed save from Preece.

Barnsley started the second half with purpose after an interval rollicking from manager Robins. It was QPR though who crafted the first chance on 48 minutes as Jay Simpson turned well and shot into the sidenetting.

The Reds got a foothold back into the game just two minutes later when Hume swung over a fine free kick from the left and Foster rose highest to nod past Cerny from 12 yards out.

Hume went close again on 52 minutes as he reacted quickest after Shotton's long throw had bounced around on the penalty spot. Hume smashed his shot into a crowd of players but the ball flew clear.

Barnsley had the chance to get right back into it on 54 minutes as Hammill raced towards goal only to be checked in the area by Stewart. The referee pointed straight to the spot but Andy Gray's penalty was saved by Cerny. Thankfully the ball came back out and Gray was able to smash it into the back of the net.

Again Barnsley paid the price for the referees one foul, one booking policy as Kozluk, who had only been on the pitch a matter of moments, held off Buzsaky on half way line. Buzsaky hit the deck and Kozluk picked up a yellow card.

It was turning into a real cracker in the early autumn sunshine at Loftus Road. Simpson hit the sidenetting on the hour mark after finding a yard behind Dickinson. Buzsaky then hammered one high over the bar on 64 minutes after a lightening counter from the home side.

There was almost more drama a minute later after Hammill took on QPR single-handed before curling a shot towards the top corner that brought an outstanding one-handed save from Cerny.

Daniel Bogdanovic then managed to get in behind QPR on 66 minutes and crossed for Gray but the ball just skipped in front of the striker and a golden chance went begging.

Rangers grabbed a killer fourth goal they simply did not deserve on 68 minutes. Buzsaky did well down the left to cross and Vine knocked it down to Watson who crashed a volley goalward. Preece managed to get both hands on the ball but it agonisingly squirmed out of his grasp and across the line.

Preece had to work again on 70 minutes as he saved well from Adel Taarabt, who let fly from the edge of the box.

Rangers grabbed a fifth on 79 minutes as the Reds failed to deal with Buzsaky's right wing corner. Kaspars Gorkss nodded the ball back across the six-yard box and a combination of Foster, Stewart and Simpson turned the ball over the line.

Still the chances came for the men in red and Hammill swung over a fine free kick on 83 minutes that gave Shotton a great free header at the back post but the defender completely missed the ball and the opportunity went begging. Hammill then crossed on 88 minutes to give Colace half a chance but the midfield volleyed well wide of the mark.

It really summed up the Reds day in stoppage time when Campbell-Ryce looked to take a quick free kick only to smack the ball into Watson four yards away. The referee waved play on - rather inexplicably - and Rangers almost crafted a sixth as Rowlands burst into the area only to be halted by a combination of Foster and Preece.

QPR: Cerny, Stewart, Leigertwood, Routledge (Faurlin 68), Vine (Taarabt 68), Buzsaky, Gorkss, Rowlands, Watson, Simpson (Pellicori 79), Borrowdale.
Subs: Heaton, Ramage, Mahon, Ephraim.

BARNSLEY: Preece, Doyle, Foster, Shotton, Dickinson, Anderson, Colace, Butterfield (Kozluk 56), Hammill, Hume (Bogdanovic 59), A. Gray (Campbell-Ryce 75).
Subs: Rusling, Devaney, J. Gray, Thompson.

Karl Evans (Lancashire)
Assistant Referees
John Farries (Oxfordshire) and Eamonn Smith (Surrey)
Fourth Official
Barry Holderness (Essex)

Attendance - 12,025

REDS boss Mark Robins gave his thoughts following today's defeat at QPR.

Mark said: "It was a costly first ten minutes or so and we really shot ourselves in the foot. We gave ourselves a mountain to climb and were not good enough defensively.

"We allowed them took much room and conceded some very poor goals. We created one or two things ourselves as well and it could have been seven six to either side. We came within a whisker of equalising but then pushed forward and forgot to defend again.

"Darren Moore missed the game through injury, Rob Kozluk had a groin problem and Jon Macken was struggling with a side-muscle strain. We have to be better away from home and we conceded some needless, poor goals". Barnsley


Rangers are on the road this weekend for their penultimate fixture of the 2009/10 Coca Cola Championship campaign.

Oakwell - the home of 18th placed Barnsley - is the destination, as the R's look to build on Tuesday night's 1-0 victory over struggling Watford.

That win lifted Neil Warnock's men up to 14th place and just two points adrift of the top half of the table.

The Tykes, meanwhile, are without a win in eight Championship matches, having failed to register a victory since their triumph over Nottingham Forest in mid-March.
Star Man
Daniel BOGDANOVIC - Striker
Fourteen goals in all competitions this season tells you everything you need to know about Barnsley hit-man Daniel Bogdanovic.

The Maltese striker, who currently tops the Tykes' scoring charts, has had a season to remember at Oakwell.

However, his fine heading ability, coupled with his finishing prowess, have seen him linked with moves away from the Yorkshire-based Club.

And the bad news for Tykes fans is that he could soon be on this way, having reportedly turned down an improved contract offer for next season.

Numbers Up
1887 - The year Barnsley Football Club was formed, as Barnsley St. Peter's.
23, 009 - The capacity of the Tykes' Oakwell stadium home.
1898 - The year Barnsley formed the Football League.
1912 - The year Barnsley won the FA Cup, defeating West Bromwich Albion 1-0.
15 years & 45 days - The age of Barnsley youngster Reuben Noble-Lazarus when he became the youngest ever player in the history of the Football League.
35 - The number of Northern Ireland caps won by former Barnsley defender Gerry Taggart.

£4,500,000 - The record transfer fee paid to Blackburn Rovers for striker Ashley Ward in December 1998.

Classic Encounter
QPR 5, Barnsley 2
Coca Cola Championship - Saturday 26th September 2009

Akos Buzsaky was the star of the show, notching a double, to help an irresistible Rangers overcome Barnsley in a pulsating encounter at Loftus Road.

The R's - who were three goals up at half time - had to halt a Barnsley revival though, after the visitors notched two quick-fire goals after the break.

Mikele Leigertwood gave Rangers the lead, as he sent home an unstoppable, low effort from fully 20-yards.

The R's didn't rest on their laurels thereafter, as Buzsaky - finding much joy from his role down the left - tucked the ball away from close-range after a devastating pass from Ben Watson.

This was arguably Buzsaky's best performance in an R's shirt since his lengthy lay-off with a knee injury, and just before the interval, he got a second goal of the match with a stunning effort from fully 30-yards out.

But Barnsley - who were mere spectators in the first period - were much better, to their credit, after the break.

And after Stephen Foster headed home an Iain Hume free-kick, Andy Gray put the hosts right back into the affair when he finished from close-range, after his initial penalty was saved by Radek Cerny.

Though Rangers' blushes were spared soon after, as Watson and Jay Simpson made sure their side would clinch a first home league win of the campaign.
Match odds with Bet365
Barnsley win - 6/4
Draw - 23/10
QPR win - 7/4
Match Coverage
QPR Player will be providing live commentary of this fixture, as well as offering highlights next week. Click here to join QPR Player. QPR

- Next: Barnsley vs QPR

- Next Season's Ball and the World Cup Ball

- Nine Years Ago This Month: Founding of QPR1st - Their Initial Activities

- QPR Assistant Manager, Mick Jones: His Crystal Palace Blog

- Ex-QPR John Curtis Talks About Post-Football Life/Study

- No Paulo Sousa to Sporting Lisbon...Linked to Hull

- 800 Season Tickets Sold?

- Flashback: Toyo Become QPR Sponsors

- Club-by-Club Championship Average Attendances This Season

Blog Archive