QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, April 17, 2010

QPR Report Saturday: Cardiff...Warnock on Palace, QPR and Stewart

-
- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!

- Visit the football-only new-look QPR Report Messageboard throughout the day for latest QPR Updates and discussion.
_____________________________________________________________________________________


- Cardiff Previews ...Video of QPR Beating Cardiff

- On This Day in Football - Including for QPR, Norwich 1976!

- Year Flashback: Slew of Managers Linked to QPR...Follow-up QPR Statement re Sousa and Briatore Q&A re QPR Managerial Departures

- Three Years Ago: QPR (Finally) Officially Announce Witney United Game Was Cancelled

- Fitz Hall Open to Newcastle Offers

- John Gorman to Take Over Temporarily at MK Dons?...Paul Ince Resigns from MK Dons as of End of Season

- Notts County High Wages and Promotion

- 2010/11 Playoffs Not at Wembley?

The Independent - Neil Warnock: Referees and their penalty decisions... some things never seem to get better
What I Learnt This Week Saturday, 17 April 2010

".... 2. I'll always cherish Palace's right royal reception
I had the most unreal afternoon of my managerial career last Saturday. I can honestly say I've never felt as sick to my stomach as I did from lunchtime until getting home at night. The game flew by and we played as well as we have since I arrived, but having left Crystal Palace just a few weeks ago it was difficult. I expected a barrage of criticism when I came out but the Palace fans were fantastic and I have to say their reception made me feel quite emotional. When the Rangers fans asked for a wave later on I couldn't bring myself to do it in front of the Palace fans because I felt so much respect for them.
- Over the last two-and-a-half years I don't think I have ever worked as hard at a football club and we really had achieved an awful lot – and people don't know half the things that go on behind the scenes. The last six months were particularly difficult and I can't praise the players at Palace enough for the way they handled everything, so although we were very good on the day I actually felt gutted for the lads I'd left behind, and the fans, and I couldn't wait to get off at the end.
- The points were obviously welcome. While we had only lost two games in the 10 since I've been at Rangers, we hadn't won for seven. Even so, we're still scrapping to get the points on board to ensure we have Championship football at Loftus Road again next season and today face Cardiff who are hoping to be in the Premier League next season.
- Last year I thought they'd win the play-offs and was surprised when they did not even qualify, this year I'm sure they'll be in the play-offs. Then on Tuesday it's another relegation battle with Watford. Like us they started the season well but will be happy when it ends, if it ends the right way. I've a lot of time for Malky Mackay, their manager, who has done a good job in difficult circumstances.

3. A case of laughing in the face of adversity
- There was an unbelievable, shocking start, to Saturday's game. From kick-off the ball was played down the line, Calvin Andrews and Damion Stewart both went up for the ball and battered each other. Damion was completely out of it, Calvin somehow got up and carried on for a while with a lump the size of an egg on the back of his head, and I don't mean a chicken's egg, more like an ostrich's.
- Damion was carried off and taken to hospital. Straight after the game we were informed scans had shown a crack in the skull and some blood around the area which were giving concern to the neurologists, but I am pleased to say that he was discharged yesterday. The doctors will continue to monitor him and hopefully he will get the all-clear to start pre-season training.
- I told the squad on Thursday there'd been a major development with Damion. They looked at me nervously. So I told them the neurosurgeon had a problem with the brain scan: he couldn't find a brain. When I told Damion he laughed, you can laugh at adversity when you know everything is all right.

4. Hard-working Brown deserves final flourish - I was delighted for Michael Brown after Sunday's FA Cup semi-final because hard-working lads like him don't normally get the rewards they are due. Yes, Portsmouth needed a bit of luck, and a ploughed field to play on – which really is comical for the cost of the Wembley project – but it shows what football is all about. Shortly beforehand I spoke on the phone to one of this newspaper's reporters. He said he was at Wembley expecting a boring afternoon watching Spurs annihilate Portsmouth. I said to him, "funny things happen in football". All credit to Avram Grant for the win, and then he makes eight changes at Wigan. He must have been laughing his head off when they drew. The way things are going, Portsmouth's final against Chelsea could prove one of the biggest upsets of all.
- I'm delighted to see Chris Foy being given the opportunity to referee the final. He's one of the best referees around. We had him earlier in the season. I said to him afterwards, "the first half was the worst 45 minutes I've ever seen you referee, the second half was the best 45 minutes. So how do I mark you?"...

...6. Hughton has earned return to the top flight
The automatic promotion places have been decided in our division and I'd like to congratulate Chris Hughton and Roberto Di Matteo. Chris has really done a superb job. He started the campaign with all that uncertainty but quietly got on with the job of getting Newcastle back into the top flight. I hope he gets the chance to build on that next season.
At West Brom, chairman Jeremy Peace has some critics but you have to admire how he runs the club when you look at the Portsmouths of this world. I like to think they will stay up and finally crack it at the top level ...
... Independent


CHRIS CHARLES/BBC BLOG "Review of The Week"
"...And finally, thanks to all who supported the walk we did from Loftus Road to Selhurst Park, raising money for the QPR Tiger Cubs team for children with Down's syndrome. Incredibly, we pulled in more than £8,000 and were applauded all around the pitch - brought a lump to the throat, I tell you.
- Not only that, my team actually won - with the best moment coming at half-time as the Palace girls' team did a lap of honour. As they came past the visiting end, one grinning scallywag lifted her top to reveal a QPR shirt underneath. You go, girl!
- Have a good weekend one and all. I'll be watching Neil Warnock resuming relations with the faithful after snubbing their requests to "give us a wave" at Selhurst Park, out of respect for his former club. Warnock promised: "Next time they sing it, I'll give them a big wave." Can't wait." BBC


Fulham Chronicle/Paul Warburton - QPR pull out of reserve league
- QPR are pulling out of the reserves Totesport.com Combination League next season.
- Rangers boss Neil Warnock is unhappy his second string has to journey to the likes of Eastbourne as they did on Tuesday night, and reckons the club will get more out of arranging friendlies at home next season.
- He said: "No disrespect, but friendlies against the likes of Spurs and Fulham will give us more - especially if we play them at our training ground.
- "It will save the team all that travel - and it will save me the journeys as well so that I can keep tabs on them." Chronicle


- The Mike Keen Memorial Game - Pre and Post-Match

- Why So Few Women Posters on the QPR Messageboards? - Join the Discussion

- Raising Funds for a WWI Footballers Memorial - Including QPR

- An apparent answer to the question regarding the "whereabouts" of Nigel Quashie and Marcus Bent
-

Blog Archive