QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, August 29, 2010

QPR Report Sunday: Further QPR-Derby Reports...OTD: QPR Lose Charity Shield Final Replay!

- On This Day: QPR Lose Charity Shield Final Replay to Manchester United!
- For QPR and Football Updates throughout the day, visit the ever-growing (and hopefully always improving!) QPR Report Messageboard/quasi-blog. Either offer your own perspectives on any of the topics (QPR and football only). Or of course, feel free to simply read the various QPR and football-only discussions. -- The QPR Report Messageboard

- VIDEOS: From Derby County vs QPR Game

- Survey of Premiership Crowds and Costs

- QPR Supposed;u Want Eddie Johnson?

- Next: QPR Masters Play in National Masters Championships, September 5

- Ex-QPR Mark Lazarus Interviewed on JNet Radio, September 6

- Pellicori at Torino

- Flashback VIDEO: Gordon Jago's QPR of Bowles, Thomas Givens and Franci guarantee Promotion with win at Millwall

- An Involved QPR Fan Offers His Perspective/His Stated Experiences re The Club Shop/Club Merchandising

- Opinions: Platini's Naivete...Blatter's "Reelection" Goals and England's 2018 Bid

- Carling Cup Third Round Draw

- Ugo Ukah on Video!

OBSERVER/Jonny Weeks - Jamie Mackie's late strike earns QPR an unlikely draw against Derby
When Flavio Briatore and his cohorts bought QPR three years ago, the Italian promised rich investment and a glorious future. "Our programme is to reach the Premier League within three years. Within four years we will challenge Milan in Europe," he announced with typical hubris.

QPR have experienced no such joy. Instead, the reins of managerial power at Loftus Road have changed hands 11 times in the past three seasons and, although the stadium's corrugated shell has been licked with fresh paint, the refurbishment of the squad has been hitherto unremarkable.

Having won three consecutive league games and conceded no goals before the trip to Pride Park, QPR finally found themselves leading the Championship table for the first time since their relegation in 1996. And this incredible comeback against Derby will only have amplified optimism in west London.

Stoppage-time goals from Patrick Agyemang and Jamie Mackie kept QPR's unbeaten run going in the most dramatic fashion as Derby were denied their first win since the opening day. "It feels like a win when it comes so late in the game," the QPR manager, Neil Warnock, said. "A lot of teams might just have packed up at that late stage. I said to them before the game: 'I think we can score goals in a split second'. I didn't realise it'd be 90 odd minutes when we'd get them, but it just shows you what you can do."

Nigel Clough's side took the lead in the 39th minute when Kris Commons deftly scooped over Paddy Kenny at the far post. Derby's second came from the midfielder James Bailey, who swept a shot into the bottom corner of Kenny's net from the edge of the box.

Yet QPR could have been ahead in the fourth minute when Adel Taarabt bamboozled Robbie Savage and drifted through Derby's defence only for Stephen Bywater to parry his shot and the danger to be cleared. The Icelander Heidar Helguson beat Bywater with a lob in the 33rd minute and Mackie side-footed into the net after the interval, but both efforts were ruled offside.

Former Spurs midfielder Taarabt, arguably the Championship signing of the summer – notwithstanding Craig Bellamy's arrival at Cardiff – was a sporadic menace to the home side. While the Moroccan was elegant and nimble in possession, Savage, making his 100th appearance for Derby, was rumbustious in pursuit; no other surname in the football league can be as apposite as his.

Derby were without several recognised strikers and Clough persisted with a dynamic 4-2-3-1 formation, anchored by Savage, which had looked effective but been unrewarded in recent matches. The comeback by Warnock's side left Derby and their fans stunned.

Substitute Agyemang slotted QPR's first goal from a tight angle before Kenny made a critical save from Bailey. Mackie then fired the equaliser from 18 yards in the final minute. Warnock remains grounded: "How we can be up in the favourites [for promotion] I haven't got a clue," he said. Observer

INDEPENDENT/Geoff Brown - Championship round-up: Rangers draw on true grit at Derby as Town please Keane

Having swept to the top of the Championship with three expansive wins, Queens Park Rangers revealed their grittier side at Pride Park when, 2-0 down going into time added on, Patrick Agyemang and James Mackie both scored to rescue a point from a 2-2 draw with Derby County. It had seemed an unlikely outcome on the hour when James Bailey added to Kris Commons' fine opener.

"It feels like a win when you score so late in the game," said the QPR manager Neil Warnock, praising his side's "Dunkirk spirit". "We have got seven or eight new players and it does take a while, so how we can be among the favourites [for promotion] I haven't got a clue." Independent

Derby's Robbie Savage - Robbie: "We're Devastated" - Derby Official Site

"We're devastated" were the words from the lips of Robbie Savage after Derby County's 2-2 draw with Queens Park Rangers this afternoon.

Derby led 2-0 going into injury time at Pride Park, but the visitors hit back with two goals to take a share of the spoils.

The Rams skipper admitted Derby should have seen the game out, after being in the driving seat for the majority of the afternoon.

Speaking to dcfc.co.uk, Robbie said: "I don't know what to say to be honest; we are devastated right now.

"At 2-0 up we should have seen the game out and it feels like we lost in all honesty.

"I suppose we were a little naive attacking in the 90th minute and we left Agyemang one-on-one with Shaun Barker to pull a goal back.

"After that we knew it was going to be a tough few minutes, and it is so disappointing we let the equaliser in.

"We should have won and yet again we've played well and not taken the points.

"QPR didn't get a kick for most of the game, and remember we were down to the bare bones again.

"We're suffering badly with injuries, and the lads are devastated in the dressing room.

"It hurts right now, but there are so many positives to take from today.

"It will be a long two weeks until the Sheffield United game, but we will just keeping working hard and hopefully we will get our rewards against them." Derby

News of The World/Tony Leighton - CLOUGH LUCK ON DERBY STATUES Derby 2 QPR 2

DERBY froze in injury time, throwing away a two-goal lead on the day they unveiled a monument to legendary boss Brian Clough.

Just like Old Big 'Ead, the nine-foot bronze statue of Cloughie and managerial partner Peter Taylor is larger than life.

Cloughie's son Nigel, in charge of the Rams 37 years after his dad's departure, cuts a more modest figure.

And he was certainly not as incensed as his father would surely have been after seeing his team concede two stoppage- time goals to level a game they should have comfortably won.

The Derby players who were First Division champions under Clough in 1972 would have got a right ear-bashing. But Clough junior was more forgiving.

He said: "It was frustrating. We played so well for so long then got punished at the end.

"That's three league games in a row now that we've not got our rewards. Their first goal changed the game totally but we should have then finished it off by making it 3-1.

"That would have been game over. But the effort was magnificent and I can't ask for any more. We scored two very good goals and there was certainly encouragement there for the next 42 games."

QPR boss Neil Warnock saw his team's 100 per cent record bite the dust but was delighted to grab a dramatic point.

Derby were coasting after goals by striker Kris Commons and midfielder James Bailey put them in compete control.

But the home side retreated in injury time and it cost them.

Substitute Patrick Agyemang reduced the arrears then right-winger Jamie Mackie levelled the scores in the fifth minute of added time.

Warnock said: "We've had three good wins but now you've seen the other side of us. We had to fight for everything.

"'Never say Die' is a motto of mine and a lot of teams might have packed up.

"Funnily enough, I said before the game there'd be a time when we went 2-0 down and would have to battle back.

"But I know we can score in a split second, I just didn't reckon it would be so deep into stoppage time.

"It's a point but it feels like a win with the goals coming so late. It's a hard lesson for Nigel, they must have thought they were home and dry."

The Rams should have been lapping up a victory after dominating most of the match.

They had an early scare when keeper Stephen Bywater had to make a fine one-handed save from QPR's Adel Taarabt.

But they soon took over and Commons and centre-back Shaun Barker both went close.

And Commons did put the home side ahead in the 40th minute, guiding the ball in from four yards after Paul Green and Dean Moxey combined to create the chance.

Bailey then bagged his first Derby goal since arriving from Crewe just before the hour.

Taking a short pass from sub Tomasz Cywka, the midfielder expertly curled a 20-yard shot just inside a post.

At 2-0 up, the home side were content to sit on their lead. But they were stunned in the second minute of added time when Agyemang burst into the penalty area to clip an angled shot past Bywater.

Mackie then broke Derby hearts when he collected a long boot upfield by keeper Paddy Kenny, brushed off two weak challenges and fired a low cross-shot into the far corner.

Despite his team's unbeaten start to the season Warnock refused to talk up the League leaders' promotion chances.

He said: "Why we are up in the favourites, I haven't a clue.

"We're a sixth to 10th team at the moment and I need to bring in more players - hopefully a striker and a wide player before the end of the transfer window on Tuesday."

Clough's day was not altogether wrecked by the result after driving into the ground past the statue of his celebrated dad.

The Rams boss said: "It would have been nice to have unveiled the statue on a day we kept a clean sheet.

"The statue means a lot to both families. It was the supporters' idea and they pushed the project through - and I'm very grateful to them." News Of The World

MAIL - Derby County 2 v 2 QPR: Rams stunned by Rangers' injury-time double

Queens Park Rangers have enjoyed the East Midlands air in the past and it had a sweet taste again yesterday as they staged a dramatic late fightback to deny a determined Derby team.

A neat close range finish from Kris Commons and James Bailey's first senior goal for the club looked certain to condemn Rangers to their first defeat at Derby since February 1990.
But first Patrick Agyemang and then James Mackie pounced in stoppage time to preserve the Londoner's unbeaten start to the season.

They had not lost on their last six visits to the city so it was perhaps not surprising that they began confidently and came close to scoring in the 4th minute.

Former Spurs midfielder Adel Taarabt had tormented Nigel Clough's team at Pride Park last season and the Moroccan sliced the home defence open with ominous ease before forcing Stephen Bywater into a fine one handed save.

That proved to be misleading as Derby more than matched the Championship leaders and deserved to take the lead five minutes before half-time with a well worked goal.

Injuries to three strikers meant Clough pushed Commons up front and he was in the right place to turn in Dean Moxey's low cross from the left after an astutue pass from Paul Green.

Clough is tracking West Brom's Chris Wood's and former Real Madrid striker Alberto Bueno to bolster his attack so the sight of Commons being replaced in the 45th minute only highlighted the need for reinforcements.
But this latest setback did not knock Derby out of their stride and just before the hour, they doubled their advantage with another well worked goal.

This time it was Commons's replacement, Polish midfielder Tomasz Cywka, who created the opening with a surging run into the box before setting up Bailey who curled a low shot into the bottom left corner.

Neil Warnock responded with three substitutions in the space of nine minutes but Derby's defence showed no signs of cracking and it was the home side who looked more likely to score again.

Warnock was cutting an increasingly frustrated figure as he stood scowling on the edge of his technical area and the Derby fans had another reason to cheer when he was spoken to by referee Mark Haywood.

But Warnock had the last laugh as his side ambushed Derby to salvage an improbable draw.

First Agyemang showed his power by going past Shaun Barker to lift the ball over Bywater and in an astonishing finale, Derby almost scored again when Cywka was denied by Paddy Kenny.

The importance of that was underlined when Mackie took a long ball on the chest, span past two white shirts before sliding a low shot past Bywater's right hand to spark off wild celebrations from the Rangers fans behind the goal. Mail


- QPR Stay top, after coming from 0-2 to score twice in injury time to draw 2-2 at Derby County. Agyemang and Mackie scoring

- Warnock Audio Comments/BBC

QPR manager Neil Warnock paid tribute to the "Dunkirk spirit" of his players after they snatched a dramatic draw at Derby.

Rangers looked certain to suffer their first npower Championship defeat of the season when they trailed 2-0 to goals from Kris Commons and James Bailey.

But stoppage-time goals from Patrick Agyemang and Jamie Mackie stunned the Pride Park faithful to earn the visitors an unlikely point which keeps them top of the table.

Warnock said: "I think a lot of teams might have packed up at that late stage.

"But I said to the players before the game that there are going to be times this season when we go two or three nil down.

"But I always think that we can get a result because I believe we are capable of scoring goals in a split second.

"I didn't realise it was going to be 90 plus minutes when we scored two goals but it just goes to show that you never give in.

"I thought we were poor in the first half but all credit to the players, we went positive with the substitutions and Paddy (Kenny) made a great save at 2-1 so it was a great team effort to scrap and get a result.

"It feels like a win when you score so late in the game. We have got seven or eight new players and it does take a while so how we can be among the favourites (for promotion) I haven't got a clue.

"I think we are a sixth to 10th team at the moment although results like this do help with morale. It helps build confidence.

"Last year, we had eight loan players so we didn't have what I call Dunkirk spirit that we showed today."

Derby manager Nigel Clough felt the result was harsh on his players, with the Rams without a win since the opening day of the season.

He said: "It's frustrating. We played so well for so long and then we got punished at the end but that's been the story of the last three league games.

"There have been three good performances but we've not quite got our reward for them. We always felt that if the first one goes in it changes the game.

"If you don't concede it doesn't give them the inspiration to throw everything forward and then anything can happen.

"I thought that we should have finished it off and made it 3-1 in stoppage time but at the moment, we can't finish games off and we can't quite hang on at the other end.

"They (the players) are going to have a few days in Spain so that will help them to get over this and it would have been nice to go into the break with three points.

"But I think that when we sit down and analyse it and put it into context the performance today without a striker on the pitch in the second half and the effort that has gone in was absolutely magnificent.

"We can't ask any more from the players so that's a good start and there was some good play and two very good goals so that gives us a lot of encouragement." Sporting Life

Posted on: Sat 28 Aug 2010
R's gaffer Neil Warnock failed to hide his delight, as the R's fought back from two goals down to grab an unlikely share of the spoils against Derby.

Stoppage time goals from Patrick Agyemang and Jamie Mackie ensured Rangers' unbeaten start to the season continued in dramatic fashion.

"All credit to the players - that was Dunkirk spirit in every sense of the word," he told www.qpr.co.uk.

"We were very positive with the substitutions and it had the impact I hoped it would.

"It was a great team effort at the end, even though we were nowhere near our best.

"It feels like a win when it comes so late in the game!"

Despite the last-gasp heroics, Warnock once again refused to get carried away, adding: "How we can be amongst the favorites to win the division with eight new players in the squad is beyond me.

"I think we're sixth to tenth position at the moment.

"Results like that will help the morale and the confidence within the group.

"We never had any of that spirit with all the loan players last year, but we have now and that's fantastic."

With just days remaining before the transfer window closes, Warnock is still confident he can add to his squad, commenting: "I still want to bring two players in to the Club.

"I've got four strikers and three wide players on my list and I'd like one of each.

"We just need a couple more to add to the options we've got." QPR

BBC - Warnock cools QPR's promotion expectations

Warnock is keen to bring in two players at QPR
QPR manager Neil Warnock played down suggestions his side are among the favourites for Championship promotion, after a nail-biting draw with Derby.

Warnock's men came back from 2-0 down with two dramatic stoppage-time goals to share the points and stay top.

"How we can be amongst the favourites to win the division with eight new players in the squad is beyond me," said Warnock.

"I think we're [likely to finish in] sixth to 10th position at the moment."

Kris Commons and James Bailey had put Derby ahead at Pride Park and they looked on course for victory until Patrick Agyemang and Jamie Mackie struck in the 92nd and 95th minutes for the visitors.

"I think a lot of teams might have packed up at that late stage," added Warnock.

"But I said to the players before the game that there are going to be times this season when we go two or three-nil down.

"I always think that we can get a result because I believe we are capable of scoring goals in a split second.

We can't finish games off and we can't quite hang on at the other end

Derby boss Nigel Clough
"I didn't realise it was going to be 90-plus minutes when we scored two goals but it just goes to show that you never give in.

"I thought we were poor in the first half but all credit to the players, we went positive with the substitutions and Paddy [Kenny] made a great save at 2-1 so it was a great team effort to scrap and get a result.

"It feels like a win when you score so late in the game."

Warnock also revealed he will be attempting to reinforce his squad before the transfer deadline at 1800 BST on Tuesday.

"I still want to bring two players to the club," he said. "I've got four strikers and three wide players on my list and I'd like one of each.

What are your thoughts on the game?
"We just need a couple more to add to the options we've got."

Derby boss Nigel Clough believes his side need to learn how to close out games but tried to take the positives from their display.

"It's frustrating. We played so well for so long and then we got punished at the end but that's been the story of the last three league games," said Clough.

"There have been three good performances but we've not quite got our reward for them.

"I thought that we should have finished it off and made it 3-1 in stoppage time but, at the moment, we can't finish games off and we can't quite hang on at the other end.

"They [the players] are going to have a few days in Spain so that will help them to get over this

"It would have been nice to go into the break with three points but I think that when we sit down and analyse it and put it into context the performance and the effort that has gone in was absolutely magnificent." BBC

QPR Official Site

QPR snatched a point from the jaws of defeat, as two second-half stoppage time strikes from Patrick Agyemang and Jamie Mackie earned the R's a dramatic share of the spoils at Pride Park.

On a rollercoaster afternoon for the Hoops, the Rams took the lead five minutes before half-time when Kris Commons expertly tucked away Paul Green's cutting centre from close range.

Rangers started the second half brightly, but they were further behind on 59 minutes when James Bailey put the hosts two goals to the good.

Tomasz Cywka found space down the left before squaring the ball back to James Bailey on the edge of the penalty area, who swept the ball home into the bottom right-hand corner.

However, such is the spirit in the R's camp at present, they bounced back with two injury-time strikes in the second half to clinch a point.

First, Agyemang stole through on goal to slot home from 10-yards out following Leon Clarke's flick-on.

And four minutes into stoppage time, the comeback was complete.

Mackie evaded two challenges before bursting into the area and smashing the ball low past Stephen Bywater to send the travelling R's masses into delirium.

Rangers remained unchanged in a 4-2-3-1 formation for the trip to hosts Derby.

Paddy Kenny was in goal for the R's, behind a back four of Bradley Orr, Matt Connolly, Kaspars Gorkss and Clint Hill.

Shaun Derry and Alejandro Faurlin were in defensive midfield, with Mackie, Adel Taarabt and Hogan Ephraim operating in more advanced positions.

Frontman Heidar Helguson led the Hoops attack.

In front a healthy and loud R's following in the East Midlands, QPR were straight out of the traps and only a splendid one-handed save from Stephen Bywater ensured the match remained without a goal.

Hill's clearance from deep was superbly controlled by Ephraim, who in turn touched the ball to Taarabt. The Moroccan magician danced past two players and into the area before unleashing a stinging low drive that was excellently beaten away from the target - but only as far as Mackie.

The R's attacker looked certain to net from the follow-up, only to see his shot blocked away on the goal-line for a corner kick.

Moments later, the Rams fashioned their first effort at goal. Commons picked up possession midway into the QPR half before running at the visitors' defence and drilling an effort just wide of Kenny's bottom left-hand post.

It was to be a lively opening 15 minutes to the fixture, with the pre-match hype surrounding the much-anticipated clash of Taarabt and Robbie Savage living up to its billing at Pride Park.

Taarabt was then soon involved again, firing a ridiculously ambitious free-kick just wide from all of 35 yards from the target.

The clash may have started at quite a pace, but a period of lull was soon to follow, as a midfield battle began to ensue in the driving late summer rain.

It was a battle that the Rams momentarily took control of as they raced into a 40th minute lead - the first goal that QPR have conceded this season.

Paul Green played the architect, doing well to slip past his marker down the left and cut the ball back into the area in the direction of Commons.

Unmarked at the back post, Commons remained as cool as a cucumber to dink the ball over the diving Kenny and into the back of the net.

Just before the interval Taarabt again tried an audacious free-kick effort from 35-yards out, but his shot sailed handsomely over the goal.

Mindful of being a goal down, QPR came out for the second period with a spell of neat, intricate football in the opening five minutes.

Indeed, super possession play between Gorkss, Hill and Taarabt set Ephraim free down the left before the R's wing wizard was brought down on the left-hand side of the box for a free-kick.

From the resultant set-piece, Taarabt's lovely, out-swinging corner needed only a touch to find the target before the ball was nodded behind for a corner.

However, though they made a positive start to the closing half, QPR found themselves two behind on 59 minutes.

Fantastic endeavour from substitute Cywka saw the striker beat his marker down the left-hand channel before he laid the ball back to James Bailey on the edge of the penalty area.

Bailey took a touch before executing a fantastic finish, curling the ball around Kenny and into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal.

In an attempt to reduce the deficit, R's gaffer Neil Warnock made three changes in next ten minutes that were to follow, with Derry, Helguson and Taarabt making way for Akos Buzsaky, Agyemang and Clarke respectively.

The substitutions didn't have an immediate impact, but as stoppage time approached Rangers would defy the odds to snatch a remarkable point.

It was to be one of the substitutes who hauled QPR right back into the affair.

Following a long ball from deep, Clarke rose highest midway into the Rams half to nod the ball on for Agyemang.

The striker did brilliantly to beat his marker - and his finish was even better, tucking the ball away from an acute angle and past Bywater.

If anyone deserved a point for their individual display it was the hard-working Mackie, whose determination was ever-present even when the R's were dead and buried.

And he got his reward in some style in the fourth minute of added time.

Mackie picked up possession just outside the box, before muscling his way past two challenges and drilling the ball low past Bywater and into the bottom left-hand corner - cueing absolute carnage amongst the R's faithful in the visitors' end.

Derby County: Bywater, Brayford, Roberts, Green, Barker, Leacock, Savage, Commons (Cywka 45), Bailey, Moxey (Ball 90), Doyle (Martin 57).
Subs: Deeney, Buxton, Pringle, O'Brien.
Goals: Commons (40), Bailey (59)
Bookings: Moxey (33)
QPR: Kenny, Orr, Hill, Derry (Buzsaky 61), Taarabt (Clarke 70), Helguson (Agyemang 62), Faurlin, Mackie, Gorkss, Connolly, Ephraim.
Subs: Cerny, Leigertwood, Ramage, German.
Goals: Agyemang (90 +1), Mackie (90 +4)
Bookings: Hill (37)
Referee: Mr M Haywood
Attendance: 25, 874 (1655 - QPR

Telegraph - Derby County 2 Queens Park Rangers 2: match report
Read a full match report of the Championship game between Derby County and Queens Park Rangers at Pride Park on Saturday Aug 28 2010.

Queens Park Rangers struck twice in injury-time to rescue a dramatic 2-2 draw and preserve both their unbeaten record and top spot in the Championship.

Trailing to goals from Kris Commons and James Bailey, Neil Warnock's side looked beaten but substitute Patrick Agyemang scored what looked like a consolation goal in the second minute of added time.

Jamie Mackie then struck with virtually the last kick of the game to leave Derby deflated.

The Rams went into the game having lost their last three matches in all competitions since beating Leeds on the opening day of the campaign, while Rangers arrived at Pride Park with a 100% league record.

Adel Taarabt, who shone in this fixture last season, was denied by a fine save from Stephen Bywater following a mazy run early on.

Perhaps Derby had learned their lesson of almost 12 months ago as Nigel Clough used Robbie Savage to man-mark the Moroccan for long periods and that was as dangerous as he was all afternoon.

The Rams should have gone ahead after 13 minutes when Conor Doyle's cross was deflected into the path of Savage who laid the ball off to Shaun Barker, but the big defender shot into the side-netting.

Alejandro Faurlin threatened either side of the half-hour mark but failed to work Bywater on both occasions.

Paul Green and Dean Moxey linked up well to create the opening goal for Commons after 40 minutes. The Scotland international latched on to Moxey's pass from the left before casually lifting the ball over the advancing Paddy Kenny.

It was the first Championship goal that QPR had conceded this season.

Bailey put Derby 2-0 up just before the hour mark when he found the bottom corner with a shot from the edge of the area.

Clough's side looked comfortable but Agyemang, a 62nd-minute replacement for Heidar Helguson, beat Barker for pace before firing the ball beyond Bywater.

Kenny kept Rangers in the game with a fine parrying save to thwart Bailey before the visitors broke and, to the amazement of everyone inside Pride Park, levelled through Mackie's 18-yard shot in the six-minute of injury-time. Telegraph


Derby County surrended two goals in injury time as Championship leaders QPR held the Rams to a 2-2 draw at Pride Park.

Kris Commons' goal late in the first half put Derby on their way, and James Bailey looked to wrapped up the victory before the hour.

But Patrick Agyemang and then Jamie Mackie crashed home injury time goals to break Derby's hearts when a deserved win looked to be the outcome.

With Rob Hulse and Chris Porter still nursing injuries, Commons led the line up front as Nigel Clough named an unchanged side from last week's line-up at Coventry.

The only change was tactical, with Commons operating up top and Dean Moxey on the left of the attacking midfield three.

Youngsters Mark O'Brien and Callum Ball drafted into the matchday squad as substitutes as a result of Derby's injury problems.

Hulse and Porter joined Pearson, Addison, Davies and Anderson on the sidelines and Tomasz Cywka was deemed unfit to start after sustaining a fractured cheekbone a fortnight ago against Cardiff City.

In his pre-match press briefing this week Clough had stated that one of QPR's main strengths was the way their have made blistering starts to games this season.

Neil Warnock's side showed their danger within three minutes, with Bywater called into action to make a low stop to keep out the dangerous Adel Taarbat.

The loose ball fell to Jamie Mackie, but his goalwards effort was blocked by Roberts for a corner.

Commons was pivotal to Derby's best moves of the half, getting on the ball and keeping the Rs defence on their toes.

He tried his range on eight minutes with a long range effort, but Kenny saw the shot drift wide.

Shaun Barker almost registered his name on the scoresheet for the first time this season before the fifteen minute mark, but he dragged his left-foot shot into the side netting from Conor Doyle's corner.

Neither goalkeeper was seriously tested in the first period, but five minutes before the interval Derby got the breakthrough their persistence deserved.

Moxey and Green combined well down the left, and the former's low cross expertly guided into the back of the net by Commons from a few yards out.

The Scot shimmied to shoot, leaving Kenny grounded as he slotted the ball past the former Sheffield United goalkeeper for his second goal of the season.

It was the first goal Rangers had conceded in the Championship this season, with Derby showing their quality to create and finish the move in expert fashion.

Moments before the break Commons was withdrawn from the action as a precaution after feeling his hamstring tighten, and he was replaced by Cywka.

That move saw Moxey move up front, and Cywka - with the aid of his protective mask - slotted into the attacking midfield three.

Derby continued to frustrate their opponents early in the second period, who were given no time on the ball and little opportunity to get the influential Taarabt into the game.

Clough opted to make his second change of the game early in the half, bringing Dave Martin on for the hardworking Doyle who had run himself into the ground.

But it was the other substitute, Cywka, who stretched the visitors' defence for the Rams to double their lead a minute before the hour.

Cywka worked is way into the area with some neat footwork, and he picked out Bailey lurking unmarked on the edge of the box, and he curled a delightful effort from outside the area beyond Kenny for his first ever career goal.

Derby didn't rest on their laurels, and kept the high energy approach which had seen them deservedly get into the winning position their found themselves in.

Roberts, Cywka and Bailey all had the confidence to try their luck from range, but on each occasion they were thwarted by Kenny.

QPR rang the changes in hope of pulling back at least a goal, and their travelling support were rewarded with a late goal from Agyemang from close range but Derby had done more than enough to take the points.

Bailey had a golden chance to make it 3-1 in the closing seconds, but Kenny pulled off a fine save....and it was a miss Derby that would come back to haunt the Rams.

Straight down the other end Mackie let fly with a thunderous low drive which flew past Bywater to send the QPR players, staff and fans wild.

From nowhere, they had fought back to take a point.

It was heartbreaking stuff for Derby who left the field with their chins on the floor.

It may be hard right now, but there so many positives to take from the game.

Derby frustratingly have to wait two weeks now for their next game, at home to Sheffield United.
Attendance: 25,874 (1,655 QPR fans)
Collstream Man of the Match: James Bailey - Derby

1 QPR 4 9 10
2 Cardiff 4 7 10
3 Ipswich 4 5 10
4 Millwall 4 7 9
5 Burnley 4 3 7
6 Leeds United 4 2 7
7 Norwich 4 2 7
8 Coventry 4 1 7
9 Doncaster 4 0 7
10 Barnsley 4 -1 7
11 Scunthorpe 4 1 6
12 Swansea 4 1 6
13 Reading 4 0 5
14 Watford 4 0 5
15 Derby 4 -1 4
16 Middlesbrough 4 -3 4
17 Sheff Utd 4 -3 4
18 Hull 4 -4 4
19 Nott'm Forest 4 -1 3
20 Crystal Palace 4 -4 3
21 Preston 4 -6 3
22 Bristol City 4 -5 2
23 Leicester 4 -5 1
24 Portsmouth 4 -5 1 BBC

- News of The World

- On This Day: QPR Lose Charity Shield Final Replay to Manchester United!

Blog Archive