QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

QPR Report Wednesday: Football Form Guide...Swansea Match Reports and Comments Compilation...Support QPR Girls

- Twenty Years Ago Today: Roy Wegerle's Goal at Leeds
-For QPR and Football Updates throughout the day, visit the ever-growing (and hopefully, always-improving!)QPR Report Messageboard/quasi-blog . All QPR and football perspective welcome. Or simply feel free to read the football-only updates and discussions. Also see: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER
- Donate to QPR GIRLS ONLINE: Help Fund Their Tour

- Romone Rose Trialing at Torquay...Joe Oastler Scores for Torquay Reserves

- Year Flashback: Briatore Statement re F1 on QPR Official Site

- Twenty Years Ago Today: Roy Wegerle's goal at Leeds as Jan Styskall Made QPR Debut...OTK: Birthday for Dykstra

- Ex-QPR Adam Miller Recovering From Ankle Operation

- Old Football Boardgame Website - including the most famous of all: The created-by-a-QPR-supporter, Subbuteo

- Next: Bristol City

- Briatore Talks of Lippi Replacing Warnock

- Flavio Briatore's QPR Perspective? (A QPR Fan's Purportive Brief Chance Encounter With Briatore)

- Bernie Ecclestone on Owning QPR (and perspective towards Dictators)

- David Conn: Football Should Have Heeded Lord Triesman's Debt Warnings

- Russia Attacking England's World Cup Bid

- Fascinating Profile of a Pre-World War I (Non-QPR) Goalie L.A. Rouse

- Behaviour of Some Millwall Fans at Crystal Palace

QPR 12 21 28
Cardiff 12 10 26
Watford 12 9 21
Burnley 12 10 20
Norwich 12 3 20
Swansea 12 3 20
Derby 12 7 18 BBC


Pos Name P W D L F A GD PTS
1 Derby County 6 4 2 0 15 4 11 14
2 Portsmouth 6 4 1 1 15 7 8 13
3 Cardiff City 6 4 1 1 9 7 2 13
4 Watford 6 4 0 2 16 9 7 12
5 QPR 6 3 3 0 7 1 6 12
6 Swansea City 6 3 2 1 7 5 2 11
7 Burnley 6 2 4 0 11 4 7 10
8 Norwich City 6 3 1 2 9 7 2 10
9 Coventry City 6 3 1 2 8 7 1 10
10 Nottm Forest 6 2 3 1 7 6 1 9
11 Sheffield Utd 6 2 2 2 6 6 0 8
12 Ipswich Town 6 2 1 3 7 7 0 7
13 Reading 6 2 1 3 6 6 0 7
14 Preston 6 2 1 3 11 13 -2 7
15 Leeds United 6 2 1 3 9 11 -2 7
16 Leicester City 6 2 1 3 10 15 -5 7
17 Hull City 6 1 3 2 3 6 -3 6
18 Doncaster 6 1 2 3 7 10 -3 5
19 Sc**thorpe 6 1 2 3 6 11 -5 5
20 Barnsley 6 1 2 3 5 10 -5 5
21 Millwall 6 1 2 3 4 10 -6 5
22 Crystal Palace 6 1 2 3 3 9 -6 5
23 Middlesbrough 6 1 1 4 8 12 -4 4
24 Bristol City 6 1 1 4 5 11 -6 4 - Football League

Swansea 0 QPR 0 - Match Reports and Comments

QPR Official Site - GAFFER: 'A GOOD POINT' Posted on: Tue 19 Oct 2010
Neil Warnock was pleased that his side maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a 0-0 draw against Swansea City.

Paddy Kenny saved a first half spot-kick, as the R's equaled their best ever start to a League campaign with a gutsy point at The Liberty Stadium.

Speaking exclusively to http://www.qpr.co.uk,/ Warnock said: "We came to win the game. I don't think you can go anywhere now and not do that.

"I thought we did well in the first half - we had the better chances.

"It was a good advertisement for the Championship."

Warnock bemoaned the decision to award the Swans a first half penalty, commenting: "I thought it was a very harsh penalty. If it was a penalty, I don't know how the linesman has seen it.

"It was an old-fashioned shoulder charge. I thought justice was done in the end."

Warnock added: "You've got to have a bit of passion, and resolve. They'll not come up against much better than they have tonight.

"I think there are eight teams above the rest. We're 11 games down - a quarter of the season.

"I love having a team that can win every week - that's how I feel at the moment. I'm very proud of them at the minute.

"I've loved every minute of the season so far."

QPR OFFICIAL SITE - QPR equaled their best ever start to a league campaign following a 0-0 draw with Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium.
A fiercely-fought encounter for the duration of the 90 minutes, both sides will come away from this one knowing that three points could have been theirs.

Paddy Kenny came to the R's rescue in the first half, diving superbly to his right to save David Cotterill's spot-kick, after Clint Hill was adjudged to have brought down Nathan Dyer in the penalty area.

The Hoops too could have taken a maximum return had Jamie Mackie netted when through on goal in the second period, though at least the point meant that Rangers kept their place at the top of the npower Championship.

R's gaffer Neil Warnock made just one change to his side for the trip to the Swansea, sticking with a trusted 4-2-3-1 formation in the process.

Alejandro Faurlin came back into the starting line-up to replace the injured Akos Buzsaky (knee).

Meanwhile, Gavin Mahon took up his place on the QPR substitutes' bench after putting pen-to-paper on a one-month contract on Monday.

Kenny was in goal for Rangers, behind a back four of Kyle Walker, Matt Connolly, Kaspars Gorkss and Hill.

Shaun Derry and Faurlin took up accustomed defensive midfield roles, supporting the more advanced trio of Mackie, Adel Taarabt and Hogan Ephraim.

Heidar Helguson once again led the R's attack.

On a fresh October evening at the Liberty Stadium, there was nothing to separate QPR and the Swans in the opening five minutes - though both sides were executing some fine, free-flowing football in the early stages of the match.

The Hoops, in truth, should have been ahead on as early as nine minutes.

Swansea failed to clear their lines after a corner and, after Ephraim's driven centre fell at the feet of Mackie six yards from goal, he could only fire disappointingly at the side netting.

Rangers, by now, were on top, and on 20 minutes Helguson forced Dorus De Vries into a fine save from 25-yards out, after letting fly from the left-hand channel.

The R's were just as good in possession as they were out of control of the football, with a large amount of the play in the first period taking place in the Swansea half.

Taarabt dragged an effort wide of the target from 25 yards on 30 minutes, before Kenny was forced into action for the first time shortly after.

Right-back Walker lost possession midway into the Hoops' half and, when the ball eventually found its way to Stephen Dobbie on the left, he cut in before smashing an effort on target that Kenny tipped away at his near post.

It was the first real time that Kenny was called into action, and minutes later, the R's keeper was faced with a penalty to save after Hill was deemed by the referee to have felled Dyer in the box.

However, nine clean sheets in 11 league starts prior to this fixture tells you all that you need to know about the in-form Kenny.

And, when Cotterill stepped up to try and fire the Swans into a first-half lead from the spot, the Hoops custodian was on hand to tip the ball away to his left to safety.

The R's started proceedings after the interval much like they did in the opening half.

Following a fine exchange of passes between Gorkss, Helguson, Faurlin and Walker, the Spurs loanee's driven cross from the right-hand flank somehow flashed across the face of the target without a touch.

Soon after, Rangers were again on the attack.

Derry's towering header on midway found Taarabt in the opposing half, before the Moroccan magician drove at the Swans defence and unleashed an effort 30 yards that was deflected away for a corner.

The Hoops were menacing - and just past the hour mark, Mackie missed by far the R's best chance to take the lead.

Connolly's clever pass to Taarabt on halfway enabled the gifted playmaker to put Mackie through on goal.

QPR's top scorer bore down on the target - probably taking a touch too many - before smashing an effort straight De Vries, who parried the ball away for a corner.

Again, Swansea were failing to cause Kenny too many issues in the R's net, though Andrea Orlandi was unfortunate to see his effort go just over, following a rasping effort from 25-yards out.

Rangers had to be on their guard at all times, however, much like when Ephraim cleared Pratley's close-range prodded effort on the line, after confusion following a corner on the right.

The introductions of Tommy Smith, Patrick Agyemang and Leon Clarke did see the R's press for a late winner.

But try as they might, the spoils were shared in South Wales.

Swansea City: Dorus De Vries, Ashley Williams, Alan Tate, David Cotterill (Joe Allen 46), Darren Pratley, Andrea Orlandi (Craig Beattie 85), Nathan Dyer, Stephen Dobbie (Frank Nouble 66), Garry Monk, Scott Sinclair, Angel Rangel.
Subs: Yves Makabu-Makalambay, Neil Taylor, Albert Serran, Marvin Emnes
Bookings: Monk (20), Tate (37), Pratley (41)
QPR: Paddy Kenny, Clint Hill, Shaun Derry, Adel Taarabt (Tommy Smith 80), Heidar Helguson (Patrick Agyemang 80), Alejandro Faurlin, Jamie Mackie, Kaspars Gorkss, Kyle Walker, Matthew Connolly, Hogan Ephraim (Leon Clarke 90).
Subs: Radek Cerny, Bradley Orr, Fitz Hall, Gavin Mahon.
Bookings: Gorkss (17), Faurlin (60), Taarabt (80)Referee: Mr S Hooper
Attendance: 16, 742 (470)

BBC Swansea will be in promotion mix - Brendan Rodgers
Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers believes his side will join Queens Park Rangers among the Championship promotion challengers at the end of the season.

Rodgers says Tuesday's 0-0 draw with unbeaten leaders QPR was a 'fair' result.

He admitted David Cotterill's penalty miss was disappointing, but said it was "one of those things".

"I'm still very pleased," he said. "In the last two games, we got four points out of six."

The Swansea manager saw his side win 1-0 at his former club Reading on Saturday and they remain unbeaten at home, having won four and now drawn twice.

"QPR are a very good side and that's why they're at the top and obviously we're very strong here at home," added Rodgers.

"There were not many chances in the game. We had good possession and good control, but there were very little chances of note. But I'm still very pleased."

We've been very, very good up until now - it's just the type of game we have to get used to

Brendan Rodgers

Rodgers sent Joe Allen on to replace Cotterill after the penalty miss, the manager saying: "Dave was doing well up to that point and then we made the tactical change in the second half to get more control, but we just failed to find that pass and final shot at goal.

"We've been very, very good up until now - it's just the type of game we have to get used to.

"It's [two home draws] not a concern; it's something that we must keep working.

"It's a point against a very good side and keeps a clean sheet here as well - we've only conceded one goal in all competitions here, which is a terrific record and with a wee bit more luck we probably would have won the game.

"We've shown over the course of 12 games that we can be up there, it's just keeping that mental pace and that ambition and if we have a wee bit of luck and steer clear of injuries then I think we can be there or thereabouts along with QPR.

"The position we're in at the moment is excellent. We want to grow and keep performing and moving up the table, but we're happy."

Rodgers was also unconcerned at QPR captain Adel Taarabt's late challenge on Allen.

"It was one of those that just because it was on the touchline it looks a bit worse," said Rodgers.

"But there were a few bookings tonight when there was no need, really.

"It disrupted the flow of the game, but it wasn't a bad challenge. It was just a tackle and sometimes when they're near the dug-outs it looks a wee bit worse than what it was. BBC

BBC - Swansea 0 - 0 QPR By David Dulin BBC Sport Wales at the Liberty Stadium

Leaders Queens Park Rangers maintained their unbeaten start thanks to Paddy Kenny's first-half penalty save in a lively encounter.

Kenny dived to his right to stop David Cotterill's spot-kick after Clint Hill appeared to bundle over Darren Pratley.

Swansea also saw an effort by Pratley cleared off the line.

Rangers' best chance fell to top scorer Jamie Mackie, but he fired straight at Dorus de Vries after being put clean through on goal.

The draw sees Rangers remain at the top of the Championship and they are still the only unbeaten team in the Football League, while the Swans remain undefeated at home.

Both sides started brightly but it was Rangers who had the first real opportunity on nine minutes. The Swans failed to clear a corner and Hogan Ephraim shot straight at De Vries, before Mackie rattled the side-netting from close range with the rebound.

Rangers played with flair and creativity and started to stretch the home defence and on 20 minutes Adel Taarabt's mazy run down the middle brought a foul from Garry Monk. The resulting free-kick hit the wall and De Vries needed to parry Heidar Helguson's drive.

Swansea had to ride the early storm and got their first chance on 33 minutes when Cotterill fed Stephen Dobbie down the left to race into the box before sending a low left-foot shot straight at Kenny.

And Kenny was the hero seven minutes later when he dived to his right to save Cotterill's penalty after Pratley appeared to be fouled by Hill just inside the box.

That was Cotterill's last contribution as he was replaced by Joe Allen at the break and the Swans continued to search for an early goal after the restart, with Dobbie firing a 30-yard effort over the bar.

Rangers had offerings of their own with Kyle Walker powering a shot over the bar from a tight angle, but though Swansea were enjoying more of the possession, they were finding it hard to break down a well-organised QPR defence.

Rangers still looked dangerous going forward and just after the hour Mackie was played through with only De Vries to beat, but the Dutch stopper spread himself out to deny the ex-Plymouth forward.

West Ham loanee Frank Nouble was brought on for Dobbie to inject some extra pace up front, but it was Scott Sinclair who pulled a shot just over the bar from the edge of the box after an excellent passing build-up.

And with 15 minutes to go, Rangers failed to deal with a corner allowing Pratley to strike goalwards from six yards out, Ephraim clearing off the line.

Rangers could count themselves fortunate not to have captain Taarabt sent off for a late challenge on Allen in a match which produced seven yellow cards.

But both sides had to settle for a point in a match that could have gone either way.

Mirror - Paddy Kenny was Queens Park Rangers’ man of the moment after keeping the only unbeaten run in the Football League alive.
Rangers’ goalkeeper Kenny stopped a David Cotterill spot-kick in the 39th minute to extend the league leaders’ amazing run to 12 games.

Neil Warnock’s men had the better start and could have been three up in the opening half hour at the Liberty Stadium.

Heidar Helguson, skipper Adel Taarabt and Hogan Ephraim all had chances.

Ephraim and Helguson tested the reflexes of Swansea goalkeeper Dorus de Vries before Moroccan Taarabt fired wide.

It took until the 33rd minute for Swansea to create a meaningful attack but QPR hero Kenny denied Stephen Dobbie from close-range.

He was the saviour once again six minutes later when the Irish stopper saved David Cotterill’s spot-kick.

Referee Simon Hooper awarded a penalty after Clint Hill took down Swans’ midfielder Darren Pratley but Kenny tipped the ball round the right post.

Both sides had golden chances to nick the points in the second period.

Championship top-scorer Jamie Mackie broke the offside trap in the 64th minute but de Vries was his equal, then Darren Pratley came closest to finding the winner for Swansea with 15 minutes to go but Ephraim cleared off the line.

TELEGRAPH - David Cotterill missed a first-half penalty as Swansea City failed to end leaders Queens Park Rangers' unbeaten start to their Championship campaign.
The midfielder got his opportunity just before half-time, but saw his spot-kick saved by Paddy Kenny as the teams shared the spoils in a dull encounter.

Just three places separated the sides going into the clash and it showed as both enjoyed their share of possession, while failing to get an all-important breakthrough.

The Swans, clearly brimming with confidence having lost just once in their last six, showed plenty of endeavour in the opening stages as their free-flowing approach caused the visitors problems.

But it was QPR who manufactured the first opening as Hogan Ephraim's clever ball found Jamie Mackie, who fired into the side netting.

That proved the catalyst for a wave of possession for Neil Warnock's men, with Heidar Helguson looking particularly threatening.

The former Fulham striker nearly put the leaders ahead midway through the first period, but Dorus De Vries was on hand to parry his fizzing effort away.

Alejandro Faurlin, back in the starting line-up for the first time since returning from a hamstring injury, was also enjoying some fruitful moments, although his final ball often left a lot to be desired.

Brendan Rodgers' side reminded the visitors of their quality in the 31st minute, though, as Stephen Dobbie forced a smart save from Kenny.

They should have taken the lead moments later but, after Mackie was harshly adjudged to have brought down Darren Pratley, Cotterill missed from the spot.

The hosts were nearly made to pay for their miss two minutes later, but Shaun Derry's goalbound 25-yard volley was blocked by Garry Monk.

The referee's poor display was continuing to infuriate the fans, although Swansea were lucky not to be down to 10 men when Alan Tate, who was already on a yellow card, elbowed Adel Taarabt.

Clearly rattled by the hosts' riposte before the break, QPR came out strongly after the interval with Mackie forcing an excellent save from De Vries.

Taarabt was starting to have an increasing influence on the game, causing the hosts all sorts of problems with his direct approach.

But Mackie was continuing to look the likeliest to open the scoring as he was again thwarted by De Vries after springing the offside trap.

The Swans continued to look dangerous on the counter-attack, though, as Scott Sinclair fired just wide after good work from Pratley.

Pratley came agonisingly close to putting his side ahead in the 75th minute, only to see his effort cleared off the line by Ephraim.

Taarabt then picked up a yellow card for a cynical challenge on Joe Allen, prompting Warnock to withdraw his talismanic midfielder.

But the change did not make any difference as the game petered out into a draw.

Swansea Official Site - "We tried everything" - Brendan
Swans boss Brendan Rodgers believes his side is still moving in the right direction after they were held by league leaders QPR to a goalless draw at the Liberty Stadium.

In a game of few clear cut chances, Swansea's best opportunity fell to David Cotterill after Darren Pratley earned the Swans a first-half penalty.

But Cotterill saw his spot kick saved by Paddy Kenny after the Swans found themselves on the back foot early on as QPR demonstrated why they are unbeaten this season.

"It was probably a fair result overall,'' declared Brendan. "Obviously it was disappointing the penalty didn't go in, but I will never blame a player who misses one.

"You have got to have the bottle to stand up and take them. Cotts is a good penalty taker; I saw that in training yesterday when he scored seven out of seven.''

Brendan admitted his side were a bit slow in their play in the first-half, but he was pleased with the way they upped their performance after the break to take the game to the league leaders.

"We faced a QPR side with some terrific players,'' added Brendan. "So for us to control large parts of the game, especially in the second-half, was pleasing.

"We tried everything to break them down, but they have some good players and they made it difficult for our front players. But that's the big games for you.

"On the other side, I thought defensively as a team and a group we were fantastic. We've kept a clean sheet in 50 per cent of our games now, so I'm happy with that part of our play.

"With the leaders coming here we've taken four points out of our last six. If we can add another three against Leicester on Saturday it will be a good week going into our Carling Cup tie at Wigan.''

QPR boss Neil Warnock said: "We came to win the game. I don't think you can go anywhere now and not do that.

"I thought we did well in the first half - we had the better chances - and it was a good advertisement for the Championship.

"You've got to have a bit of passion, and resolve. They'll not come up against much better than they have tonight and I'm very proud of them at the minute.

"I've loved every minute of the season so far."

The Swans maintained their unbeaten home record with a goalless draw against table-topping QPR.

Despite a slow start the home side ended the first-half strongly and were handed a fine chance to take the lead from the penalty spot.

Darren Pratley was grounded by Clint Hill in the corner of the area, David Cotterill stepped up but visiting 'keeper Paddy Kenny was equal to his effort, pushing it wide for a corner.

The Swans enjoyed spells of possession in the second period and Pratley saw an effort cleared off the line, while at the other end Dorus de Vries pulled off an excellent save to deny Jamie Mackie.

Brendan Rodgers made just the one change for the visit of QPR.

It was a straight swap in midfield as David Cotterill replaced the injured Mark Gower (hamstring), meaning the line-up stayed the same as it did for the majority of the win at Reading.

Joe Allen made his return from injury to take his place on the bench where he was joined by new recruit Marvin Emnes.

Swans: Dorus de Vries; Angel Rangel, Garry Monk (C), Ashley Williams, Alan Tate; Andrea Orlandi (Craig Beattie, 85'), Darren Pratley, Nathan Dyer, David Cotterill (Joe Allen, 46'), Scott Sinclair, Stephen Dobbie (Frank Nouble, 66').

Not Used: Yves Makabu-Makalambay (GK), Neil Taylor, Albert Serran, Marvin Emnes.

QPR: Paddy Kenny, Kyle Walker, Kaspars Gorkss, Matt Connolly, Clint Hill, Alejandro Faurlin, Shaun Derry, Adel Taarabt (C) (Tommy Smith, 80'), Jamie Mackie, Hogan Ephraim (Leon Clarke, 89'), Heidar Helguson (Patrick Agyemang, 81').

Not Used: Radek Cerny (GK), Bradley Orr, Fitz Hall, Gavin Mahon.

Attendance: 16,742 Away: 470

Two unbeaten records - Swansea's at home and QPR's overall - went on the line at a cold Liberty Stadium as the league reached its quarter mark.

Neil Warnock's side had been earning rave reviews prior to their trip to south west Wales with skipper Adel Taarabt billed as one of their key men.

And he certainly showed off his skils early on in the middle of the park as he gave the hosts the runaround.

Home striker Stephen Dobbie, too, showed that he could be nifty with the ball at his feet and with seven minutes played wrong footed his marker before firing wide, while Jamie Mackie struck the side netting barely a minute later at the other end.

And based on the first quarter of this game you could see why the R's were topping the table - not only could they pass the ball they could keep hold of it and had the pace to supplement it.

The first serious goalbound effort even fell to experienced front-man Heidar Helguson who forced Dorus de Vries into pushing the ball away to safety 21 minutes in.

The Swans had to wait a further 12 minutes for their best chance as Dobbie raced through on the end of David Cotterill's pass, cutting in on but but firing straight at the feet of goalkeeper Paddy Kenny.

And the former Sheffield United stopper was to come to their rescue again five minutes before the break when he denied David Cotterill from the penalty spot - Darren Pratley went down under the challenge of Clint Hill but Kenny was alert as he pushed the spot-kick away for a corner.

Half-Time: Swans 0 QPR 0

Joe Allen was introduced in place of Cotterill at the start of the second-half and moments after the re-start Stephen Dobbie went close with a curler just over the top of goal.

Kyle Walker responded for the visitors with a drive pulled across goal while Darren Pratley completed a move with a weak shot into the hands of Kenny moments later.

The Swans were having the upper hand at the start of the second period but just couldn't find that killer final ball when it mattered.

And they were almost caught out just after the hour as QPR attempted to cause problems from a counter attack, Adel Taarabt sending Jamie Mackie clean through but he was to find Dorus de Vries at his best to deflect his shot off target.

Frank Nouble became the Swans' second change when he came on in place of Stephen Dobbie, and within minutes of his introduction he finished off a neat move with a shot off target, while the West Ham loanee played a part in the next move which saw Scott Sinclair whistle a shot inches over the top of goal.

And the chances kept on coming, this time Pratley seeing his effort cleared off the line as the defence failed to deal with an Orlandi corner with 15 minutes to go.

Craig Beattie was thrown on for the final minutes in a bid to bring more firepower to the side but both sides played out the remainder of time to share the spoils.

- "Who Visits QPR Report

Blog Archive