QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Danny Shittu on Growing Up and Avoiding Crime

-
[Danny Shittu was "rested" in yesterday's game against Portsmouth and remained on the bench in Watford's 2-1 loss to Portsmouth]

Danny Shittu - Tom Collomosse, PA Sports
AVOIDING CRIME PAYS OFF FOR SHITTU
Watford defender Dan Shittu has revealed how he resisted a life of crime to become a footballer - and made his mother proud.
Shittu was born in Lagos, Nigeria, but grew up in the Bow area of east London, where the temptations to veer off the straight and narrow were frequent and numerous.
But Shittu pursued his ambition of becoming a professional player and now the 26-year-old runs a scheme to try to encourage youngsters in east London to play football instead of being drawn into crime.
And the £1.5million summer signing from QPR insisted he would never forget the debt he owes his mother Camilla, an accountant who had to raise Shittu and his six siblings.
"I grew up in Bow, where nearly all my friends were doing crazy things," Shittu said.
"At the age of 15 I started going to college. While I was at football training or at college, my friends would be off stealing phones.
"I always worked hard, and, when my friends found out that I had become a footballer, they all said they wished they had done the same.
"I am lucky to have my family. I am the second youngest of seven kids, and all my brothers and sisters were doing good things.
"If I had had a brother who stole cars, it would have made me do that.
"I have always wanted to make my mum proud because she gave up so much for the kids. I wanted to repay her and make her happy, not just give her money."
Shittu hopes to be part of the Watford starting XI at Portsmouth as Adrian Boothroyd's team seek their first away win of the season and only their second in the Barclays Premiership.
If Shittu plays, he will be charged with the task of stopping his fellow Nigeria international Kanu, who has scored seven times this season.
Shittu revealed that Kanu, 30, is revered in Nigeria and other African countries, and spoke of his determination to emulate the former Arsenal striker.
He added: "We have been together with Nigeria a few times and it is amazing the way Kanu is idolised in Africa.
"Everywhere you go, he is mobbed. Kanu is like a God in Nigeria and other countries in Africa.
"I look at him and think that I want to be in that position one day. He is a role model for so many people, and he is also a very nice person off the pitch.
"I have spoken to him a few times, as I have to (Newcastle's) Obafemi Martins, but, because we are spread out all over the country, we do not have time to visit one another.
"But I will not talk to Kanu before the game. At the moment, he is an enemy, and it is not about being friendly."
Boothroyd could make changes to his starting line-up for the clash at Fratton Park after watching his team thumped 4-0 at champions Chelsea last weekend.
That result left Watford 19th in the Premiership, but Shittu insisted: "We are not even thinking about relegation.
"There are only two games - against Arsenal and Chelsea - in which we were beaten by more than two goals.
"We believe that, if things go right, we can get good results."
Shittu Profile

Blog Archive