QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Lee Hendrie on why he chose Stoke over QPR

-
Given that QPR ended up with Chelsea's Jimmy Smith: Hendrie's decision was good for him AND didn't work out too badly for QPR!

Football League - Dad Knows Best By Tony Leighton
"It was the old pals act that took Aston Villa's Lee Hendrie on loan to Stoke City, but the 29 year-old midfielder has no complaints about that after making a dramatic impact at the Britannia Stadium.
In the 10 games that the Potters had played before Hendrie's arrival they had won only once - but in the eight games in which the former England international has figured they have won five and shot up the Coca-Cola Championship table.
"Coming here has been a brilliant short term move for me," says Hendrie, who could have gone to either Crystal Palace or Queens Park Rangers on loan but took his father Paul's advice and chose Stoke.
Hendrie senior and Stoke manager Tony Pulis were playing colleagues at Bristol Rovers in the 1970's and (Lee) Hendrie revealed: "It was a phone call from the manager to my dad that started the whole thing off
.
"I'd been approached by Palace and QPR and knew both of their managers because I'd played for them both - Peter Taylor (Palace) for the England Under-21's and John Gregory when he was at Villa.
"But then my dad told me he'd had a call from Stoke and that Tony Pulis would love me to go there. He said what a good bloke Tony was and reckoned that going on loan there would be my best option - and he's been proved right.
"I spoke to the manager on a Thursday by telephone then went in to see him the next morning, and although I wasn't a hundred per cent match fit he said 'I want you to play on Saturday.'
"That's what I wanted to hear, because I was desperate to get some games under my belt after coming back from a calf injury but not getting much of a chance at first team level with Villa.
"I was told I'd be given a free role to set play up from midfield and get forward to score goals, and when the manager stressed that he wanted me to go out and enjoy my football that made up my mind.
"I already knew some of the lads at the club and that also helped, but I have to admit I was very nervous before my first match - it was the first time I'd ever played for anyone but Villa and it was weird pulling on a different club's shirt.
"Things clicked straight away though, and I've been thoroughly enjoying myself. There are some very good players here and we've been producing good football and getting results, and all that's helped get my confidence up and feeling good in myself."
Hendrie has scored three goals and set up another four in his eight games to date, and unless he is re-called by Villa - something hinted at by manager Martin O'Neill... -
Football League

Blog Archive