QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, February 16, 2009

Flashback: Gerry Francis Resigns as QPR Manager (Again): Eight Years Ago Today - Part of a Dark QPR Era

-
- The New QPR Report Messageboard: Interested in a mixture of up-to-the minute latest news articles re QPR and football in general, interspersed with QPR nostalgia - photos, videos, old match reports and memories? Looking for a board where QPR and football - and only QPR and football - are discussed? Then visit the very-different QPR Report Messageboard where you will find this - and only this! All views welcome.

- Posted Yesterday: - The QPR Treasure Trove/Gold Mine Uncovered - Old QPR News Reports and QPR Videos I and Old QPR News Reports and Videos II

- Sousa sets sights on top six Rangers boss eyes promotion push [Based on the Calcipmercato Interview with Sousa (which was posted Saturday on QPR Report (which in turn came from QPR Italia)QPR Report: Sousa Interviewed

- Old QPR Photos: An ever-expanding Compilation - Some great; some more mundane! (Feel free to post additional old photos)!


Flashback: Eight Years Ago - Gerry Francis Announces His Resignation as QPR Manager (for the second time)
[Francis then remained in charge of the team for a couple more weeks. During which time, Ian Holloway took over - after which Francis remained at QPR!]
It was part of a dark, dark time for QPR: There was also the announced departure of Chairman Chris Wright and the club being up for the sale; the club losing millions a year; no money for players; terrrible injuries; the club headed for relegation; the club soon going into Administration; and the announced merger with MK Dons. Dark times indeed.


QPR Official Site - February 16, 2001 - CLUB STATEMENT
- We have known that Gerry Francis was considering retirement at the end of this season when his contract expires and this week he confirmed to the QPR Board that this was the case.
- Following discussions with Gerry it was mutually agreed that it was important to install a new manager now in order to plan for next season, particularly with regard to existing players' contracts and any incoming players. The new manager when appointed will immediately assume responsibility for the First team and will obviously focus on doing everything possible to ensure that QPR do not get relegated this season.
- Gerry has been asked to remain with QPR until his contract expires and will work with the new manager on planning for next season, including such issues as our Academy situation and our Scouting network.
- The Board would like to go on record as publicly thanking Gerry for the job he has performed over the last two years in very difficult circumstances, keeping QPR up in the first year and finishing tenth last season. His commitment to the club is second to none and we feel that he has made a major contribution in trying to turn the club around. He has been offered a place on the Club Board next year should he wish to take it up.
- Discussions with candidates for the manager's job have already started and the Board hopes to be in a position to make an announcement as soon as possible. In the meantime, Gerry Francis will be in charge for the match against Barnsley and we hope he leaves the job with the win the club needs.


BBC - Friday, 16 February, 2001 - Francis ends QPR love affair
Francis: Ended his managerial love affair with QPR
- BBC Sport Online's Peter Sanderson looks at Gerry Francis' career in management after his decision to stand down as director of football at QPR.
Gerry Francis is a member of that increasingly rare band of people who have enjoyed success at a club as both player and manager.
- On Friday, however, the former Bristol Rovers and Tottenham boss cut a forlorn figure as he ended his managerial love affair with Queens Park Rangers and almost certainly severed his ties with football.
Apart from his most recent spell at QPR, Francis has an outstanding record in management.
- However, at Loftus Road this year, the tide was so strongly against him that even sailing sensation Ellen MacArthur could not have steered the club to safety.
Gerry Francis The secret to his success has been a combination of talent, honesty, endeavour and an unrivalled desire to succeed.
But even a man as diligent as Francis deserves a break.
- He admitted: "In football, I have only had one break since 1967 which is a hell of a long time.
- "I did not miss the game in the 11 months I had away from football after I left Spurs and I don't think I will when I move on at the end of the season.
- "My job at QPR was to keep them in this Division last year and I did that despite us being nine points adrift.
- "I then let my heart rule my head and decided to stay on as manager this year.
Francis: "QPR can stay up""But the club is now experiencing major problems with a number of players contracts coming to a close in the summer and very little cash to bring anyone in.
- "It is time for someone else to take over. They need time to turn things round and - I need time to spend with my family and of course with the pigeons."
Few would believe this was the same man who twice turned down the opportunity to manage his country.
- Both times he was interviewed for the England he ruled himself out of consideration.
- But England could have done a lot worse - and, once or twice in recent years, have done.
- Now Francis can devote his time to his family and enjoy the peace and quiet of his pigeon loft.
- The reason for his departure is simple. He is a family man and his recent spell with QPR was more of an effort to help out an old friend than improve his already dazzling reputation in management.
But it was clear from the pained expression on Francis' face that he has had enough football for one lifetime.
As he spoke of the troubled times the club are experiencing, he was speaking from his heart as a fan and not a manager.
Francis was arguably a victim of his own managerial success.
Needed more than a miracle
The former England midfielder always possessed an unwavering confidence in his own ability.
However, he built up such an impressive CV at Bristol Rovers and QPR that he could no longer continue to perform the miracles.
But QPR needed more than a miracle to save them this time.
Their troubles far exceed their lowly position at the foot of Division One.
Behind the scenes the club are in disarray.
Their over-achievements in the 1990s, when they finished fifth in the Premiership and enjoyed as spell as London's top club, make their current position even harder to tolerate.
Young bargains
- But Francis insists the club can still survive.
Since he returned in October 1998, he has made a number of strong signings for QPR, scouring the non-league for Jermaine Darlington and Stuart Wardley.
He has also picked up young bargains like Clarke Carlisle and Peter Crouch and groomed Richard Langley and Mark Perry into tremendous players.
These are the players that Francis believes should keep QPR in the First Division and more importantly, keep the club in business. Bbc



QPR Official Site - NEW MAN HOPING TO BE FOUND OVER THE WEEKEND
- THE club are hoping to have a new manager in place for the trip to Gillingham on Tuesday evening after Gerry Francis announced his decision to stand down as manager this afternoon.
Francis will take charge of the team for tomorrow's game with Barnsley and will remain at the club until the end of the season when his contract expires in an advisory role.
The board of directors will be interviewing candidates over the weekend and are hopeful of having a new man in place by Monday.
However, should that not be possible than Francis will remain in control for the game at Priestfield.
"We have a shortlist of manager's for the position and I am confident that we will have someone in charge by early next week, hopefully Monday," said vice-chairman Nick Blackburn this afternoon after a packed press conference at Loftus Road.
"Of the two or three people I have spoken to I have said that there is little or no money to spend and they have said that was not a stumbling block which is a positive step in the right direction.
"However, it may well be that people we haven't approached may contact us and express an interest," he continued.
Blackburn refused to confirm who was on the shortlist but he did say that Assistant Manager Iain Dowie was one of the people whose name was on it and would be considered.
Francis explained his decision to stand down as manager of the club citing that he felt it was only fair to give the PLC plenty of time to find a replacement for next season.
"There are a lot of things to be considered for next season in terms of player's contracts and when you are dealing with people's livelihoods you can't do that if you are not going to be here next season," he said.
Francis, who took over a Rangers boss for the second time in November 1998, says that he is more than willing to help the new man when he is appointed and says that he hopes he will enjoy the backing from the supporters that he has had.
"The supporters have been absolutely brilliant to me in all of my time here and I hope they give the new manager the same support as they have given me.
"I have spent 15 years in management and I feel that I have been very lucky to work in the game as long as I have.
"I played in the team which so nearly won the league in 1976 and I was also manager here with an outstanding side in the Premiership when we finished fifth so I have had some great times with QPR."
Despite frequently stating that the strain of football management has been a factor in him not seeing enough of his family, Francis said that he was not relieved to be getting out.
"I will not say it is a relief to get out as looking at our current position it is not a particularly pleasant one but I believe that we can get out of it and be a division one club next season."
"Obviously I have a young family and the 11 months I spent out of the game after Tottenham were very enjoyable and I look forward to celebrating Christmas and having holidays once more."
In recognition of his services to the club, the board have offered Gerry a place on the board next season when his contract expires.
"It is a magnificent gesture by the club and one that I am very touched by although it something that will have to be looked at in the summer."
An announcement regarding the new appointment will be made here first - so keep in touch with all the latest news on the QPR official website.


QPR Official Site GERRY SAYS GOODBYE
GERRY FRANCIS was emotional about the 2-0 win over Barnsley in what was probably his last home game in charge as manager.
Gerry said: "It was a very sad day and an emotional day for me. The fans were fantastic again on Saturday.
"Some supporters look deeply at the situation. They ask why did the man come back in the first place? He didn't have to and the club was going nowhere, bottom of the league and nine points adrift.
- "He knew the situation, he didn't moan and groan because he didn't have any money, he didn't moan and groan about having to cut wages, he didn't moan and groan that he had no signing on fees. He brought a couple of kids through, he went to non-League. And he found a couple of players which are the club's future, like Peter Crouch and Clarke Carlisle.
- "He had tragic injury problems this year with six broken legs, Rob Steiner retiring, Danny Maddix not playing all season and two cruciate ligaments. Any manager in the country - including Alex Ferguson - would have struggled with those injuries. I've never known anything like it in my life.
- "So I just feel that supporters looking at football and managers can see beyond results sometimes. Obviously I am delighted that they can.
- "This has been the hardest job I've had to do in my career, with some very difficult circumstances and problems along the way. I feel I've earned a rest now.
"It was a very, very nice gesture to offer me a place on the board here. But no one knows what the situation will be here in a couple of months. The club is still up for sale. A new owner might come in and not know who I am! So you just don't know what is around the corner."


SUBSEQUENT COMMENTS - 21/2 FRANCIS ON MANAGER SITUATION
DEPARTING MANAGER Gerry Francis has been speaking on his own situation and the latest regarding a new boss arriving at Loftus Road.
Gerry said: "The club and the board have not put me under pressure about any anything. The only pressure they put me under was to sign a new contract.
"But once I decided that I wasn't going to be here next season and I was going to retire, it was best for a new manager to come in because there are 20-odd contracts up at the end of the season.
"I don't expect to be in charge on Saturday, but the way it is going you never know! It is a very unusual situation, I must say. I haven't known whether to say goodbye or not for the last two games. I could be here until the end of the season.
"I understand the board are still interviewing managerial candidates. I'll be talking to vice-chairman Nick Blackburn to see what the latest is. I won't have any input on who the new boss is. But I do know the board are interviewing a couple more people. So we'll have to wait and see."


QPR Official Site - 22/2 NIGEL BLACKBURN ON MANAGERIAL SITUATION
INTERVIEWS have now completed for the managerial vacancy at Rangers. However, the club are not yet in a position to announce the name of the new boss.
Vice-chairman Nick Blackburn said: "We are still going through the process. We have eliminated some people who we have seen and we are narrowing it down.
"It has to be a very carefully thought out decision. We want to take our time and get it as right as we can in an unsure world.
"There are a lot of issues involved in this appointment. Should it be long-term or short-term? The feeling is we should try to make it long-term. But obviously if a new owner comes in, we have got to consider that.
"Basically then we are looking for a long-term appointment. We have narrowed it down to one or two people. Hopefully, we can make an announcement fairly shortly, but it won't be today though.
"We have completed the interview process now. Some people have ruled themselves out, which is fine. All I can say on that is we haven't offered anyone the job. So an offer hasn't been there to turn down."


Iain Dowie - QPR Official Site - IAIN - I'D LOVE TO BE BOSS
IN THE build-up to the Gillingham game, assistant boss Iain Dowie has been putting forward his case in the interviews for the manager's job at Rangers.
Iain said: "I've had my interview and I put my point to the board. I think continuity here is very important.
"We've got 18 players out of contract and it is important that the new manager does know the players.
"I also feel I've got something fresh to give. I think I am an innovative coach and I can get a response from the lads.
"I also feel I can step into the mantle of a manager. I've got some bright ideas and things I want to implement. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity.
"I consider this to be a very good club and one that I've really enjoyed my time at. Hopefully my hard work will have earned me the opportunity to be the next manager. If I don't get the job, it won't be through lack of hard work when I've been coaching.
"It's nice that a large percentage of the fans feel that I should get the opportunity. I understand that people have been putting my name forward on the internet, which is lovely. It's nice to know that I have that support and I'd like to get Rangers back to a position where we can challenge for honours."

Blog Archive