QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ecclestone on Buying QPR - Says Persuaded Briatore!....Stewart on Moving on Without QPR...Cerny: Need More Victories...Holloway on Oli

-
- Another site to visit: The football-only The QPR Report Messageboard! No politics. No ad-hominems. Just news; eclectic articles and hopefully, interesting perspectives!

- "92 Clubs 92 Hours" Charity Effort Mission Accomplished!

- Six Months Ago: Club Secretary Sheila Marson and First Team Scout, Filippo Orlando Departed QPR.

- THE Cardiff Fire Alarm: Six Years Ago Tonight!

- The Gianni Paladini Appreciation Society

- Out Tomorrow: Antonio Caliendo's Golden Foot 2009 Awards

- 2009-2010 QPR Schedule

- Brief 1979 Video of Loftus Road and link to fascinating Football Grounds Website


Bernie Ecclestone Interviewed in Gulf News
- ".....What about your interests in football?
"- Yes I persuaded Flavio Briatore to join me and put some money into buying Queens Park Rangers, the old and long-established club that had fallen on hard times. I had a look at buying Chelsea - but it was too complicated an issue and needed far too much effort to sort out the books. Liverpool,too, and Manchestyer United were considerations, too, but in the end I figured I lived too far away ... 200 or so miles ... to buy into teams so distant from my home in London. I didn't fancy the idea of traipsing up and down the country on top of all the travelling I do on F1 business.
- When I approached Flavio with the proposal he thought it was a restaurant we'd be buying! No kidding. But he was just as excited as me when I told him it was a football team.
- I have since become a friend of Roman Abramovich who took up where I left off and bought Chelsea. And I often share his box at Stamford Bridge or fly off in my own plane to watch them when they are playing overseas. I must say I never would have believed it, but I am real big soccer fan now. I used to say that if the two greatest teams in the world were playing in my back garden I wouldn't be bothered to watch them. Not now. I'm hooked on the game....

- Complete Interview
Gulf News Motor Racing - May 23, 2009 - 'I'm happy to enjoy the rewards of a good job' By Ted Macauley, Special to Gulf News
- London: Bernie Ecclestone sits on the top deck behind the blacked-out windows of his mobile HQ, isolated by his power and privilege, in the Monaco Grand Prix paddock, surveying the scene from the travelling power base of his Formula One empire.
- It has been a fraught last few weeks, what with his divorce from his wife Slavica and the machinations of F1's power brokers, Ferrari in particular, looking to defy the proposed budget-cap and any rule change, and the to-ing and fro-ing over the future of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
Gulf News: How do you see yourself?
- Ecclestone: I know I am regarded as a hard and uncaring guy, and that I am driven by money - but a lot of people in F1 are multi-millionaires because of my attitude to business and the sport. And they should be thankful for the stances I have taken, not always popular, over the years to give F1 its worldwide success. Sure, I have benefited, but so have the teams.
And that includes Ferrari whom right now are being idiotic in their stand against the proposed cost capping and then rule changes which to my mind all benefit the sport and the spectacle.

- You have been reviled because of your unyielding and unbending position over Silverstone, the old wartime venue for the British Grand Prix and its annual pilgrimage of 200,000 petrol heads. What do you want to happen?
- I am fed up of it being like a Gentlemen's Club, all blazers and old-fashioned notions locked in outdated tradition. I'd like to see it uprated and updated and its facilities fit for the fans like they have done in Bahrain and will do at Abu Dhabi, two tracks that have been only too eager to please and make sure the spectators get their money's worth.
- Not only that, they have been absolutely brilliant and done everything I have asked without demur. Unlike Silverstone who have dragged their feet for years and deserve to lose the race. The public should not forget, it is their interests I have at heart.

- What is your overall feeling about the people who run it, The British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) ?
- They are living in a time warp. The BRDC is overseen by old-fashioned, struck-in-a-rut members who have failed to come up to the mark I have set for the circuit. The race has reminded not of a midsummer Grand Prix, but a second-rate village fete run by clubby toffs. They were mad not take all my proposals on board when I first mooted them years ago. I guess they never dreamed they could ever lose the Grand Prix. Well, now they know.

- I know you refuse to budge on your almost obsessive high standards which not only apply to F1 but to your immaculate office in London overlooking Hyde Park, and your staff and to your private life. Do you have any examples of how you regulate it all?
- I often put in 12-14 hours a day at the office. I fly around the world in my own jet, not for fun, but as the frontman for F1 with great responsibility. And I don't dodge the hard work. Never have. Never will. And anybody in my orbit who does get the rough end of my treatment. For instance, I once fitted short-run time switches on the lights in the lavatory outside my office when I found that workmen were spending too much time in there doing crosswords or reading the horse race pages and writing bets for the bookies. They were slacking, dodging work and costing me time and money. I won't have that. And I like a tidy office, too. I won't have my staff drying their wet clothes off on the radiators when they come in out of the rain.

- How do you view your life?
- I am devoted to this job, it gives me enormous pleasure and, more importantly, professional satisfaction. That may have cost me my marriage, but it is the way I am and I can't change that. Not that I would want to. Sure, it pays me good money. It is common knowledge from the Rich List published in the UK that I am a double billionaire. I have my own jet, a nice yacht, a hotel I own in Switzerland and a lovely lifestyle. But I pay all my taxes. I don't dodge anything and I expect other people to share my honesty and my sense of purpose. There are a lot of rich guys - and grateful wives - out there who are wealthy because of my efforts for this sport.
- I don't want knighthoods from the British government or medals or awards or statues put up in my memory - look what pigeons do on them - I am happy to enjoy the rewards of doing a good job and having the appreciation of the people I work hard to try to please ... those people who made good money to go to a GrandPrix wherever it is in the world.

- What about your interests in football?Yes, I persuaded Flavio Briatore to - join me and put some money into buying Queens Park Rangers, the old and long-established club that had fallen on hard times. I had a look at buying Chelsea - but it was too complicated an issue and needed far too much effort to sort out the books. Liverpool,too, and Manchestyer United were considerations, too, but in the end I figured I lived too far away ... 200 or so miles ... to buy into teams so distant from my home in London. I didn't fancy the idea of traipsing up and down the country on top of all the travelling I do on F1 business.
- When I approached Flavio with the proposal he thought it was a restaurant we'd be buying! No kidding. But he was just as excited as me when I told him it was a football team.
- I have since become a friend of Roman Abramovich who took up where I left off and bought Chelsea. And I often share his box at Stamford Bridge or fly off in my own plane to watch them when they are playing overseas. I must say I never would have believed it, but I am real big soccer fan now. I used to say that if the two greatest teams in the world were playing in my back garden I wouldn't be bothered to watch them. Not now. I'm hooked on the game.


What about big stars?
- Well, Michael Schumacher, of course, was a superstar. Probably the greatest driver of all time and a professional of admirable devotion. Not the most charismatic, but a hero to millions just the same. I think that when McLaren get their car right and their support for Lewis Hamilton on song, he is another massive star and multi-champion in the making. And he has the right level of talent and charisma to attract a world of support. He is a gifted boy.
- Talking about superstars. What about David Beckham? He's a dream, a fantastic attraction all lover the globe. Even now towards the close of his career. And as for his ability to generate vast monies and sponsorships ... wow ... I just wish he could drive a Formula One car.

What about retirement plans?
I just want to work until I draw my last breath. I'm 78 now, I've had a heart by-pass operation and I feel good and fit. But I will never, ever retire. You will only be sure that I have quit when I am being lowered into my grave."
- Gulf News


QPR's 'Stew Peas' ready to simmer Jamaica Observer/SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sports Editor Sun, May 24, 2009

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Damion Stewart is a man on top of his world. A world he has built with hard work, dedication and sense of purpose. But he's out to conquer new ones even as he's being crowned the king of his.

Stewart, 28, was named the outstanding player for English Championship outfit Queens Park Rangers (QPR) where he was lifted above all by a vote of his peers and fans to end his season on a high note, but the Jamaica defender is not resting on his laurels and is poised to set sail for new horizons.

"It's obvious that every serious player's dream playing in England is to get into the Premier League, so hopefully if I don't go up with my team next season maybe some club will come and get me... when you have an outstanding season like I had there is always rumours of people showing an interest in you, but my focus is with QPR right now," said Stewart in Fort Lauderdale with the Reggae Boyz for a friendly international against Haiti.

Popularly called 'Stew Peas' after the favourite Jamaican dish, Stewart is also relishing the honour of being the top performer at the London-based QPR.

"I'm really feeling good about it, but it's not something that I'm really surprised about... because this season I was pretty much the outstanding one and I'm really honoured to get this award from my club knowing that it is coming from the fans and the players," he said.

And while his 2008/2009 season appears a perfect one by some measure, Stewart is looking to add spice to the pot of his simmering professional career.

"I'm never satisfied; I'm one who's always trying to do better to improve myself, but the areas that I would be looking to improve on is getting forward and using the ball more offensively, but defensively I think I am solid," said the no-nonsense centre back.

Last season, Stewart ventured out of defence to score four goals, and the season before he also had one. Next season he's looking to eclipse those records, though he has not settled on a figure.

"It's always a bonus for a defender to score, but my team is always looking to me to get the odd one because I'm really aggressive whenever I get into the box... hopefully I can do better next season," he said from the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites here on Friday.

Four years in the tough and competitive world of English football have taught the strapping player vital lessons that he hopes to transfer to the Jamaica set-up.

"The English game is more professional... it's all about your attitude and work ethics and of course my organisation at the back has gotten better," noted Stewart, a former Ardenne High star.

Like fellow Jamaica defender, Claude Davis, Stewart is still peeved by being left out of the first three semi-final round CONCACAF World Cup qualifying matches against Canada, Mexico and Honduras by former technical director Rene Simoes.

"The ultimate dream is to play in the World Cup and not being invited for the first set of games was heartbreaking... that was like a dagger to my heart, but we have to put that behind us and remain focused," he said.

"When I look at the teams that are going through right now and when you see the last three games we played, we could have qualified easily and most of these teams are happy that we didn't come through because we would have damaged them with the quality that we have got," Stewart noted.

Jamaica - after drawing with Canada 1-1 in Toronto, losing 0-3 to Mexico at the Azteca and crashing to Honduras in San Pedro Sula 0-2 under Simoes and a team bereft of experience - were staring down the barrel of elimination.

But after the sacking of Simoes following the Honduras game, the team made an amazing comeback under Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore in three return home matches, defeating Mexico and Honduras 1-0, then crushing Canada 3-0.

But that was not enough as they lost on goal difference after finishing on 10 points with Mexico.

"I know that the Jamaican people are very disappointed, but they must understand that we as players are disappointed as well... we have to now look forward to what we have got and what we have at the moment is the Gold Cup and the qualifiers for the 2014 World Cup," Stewart said.

The former Harbour View man, capped 47 times for his country, started his professional career in England on a season-long loan with League One Bradford City in 2005/2006.

Bradford manager Colin Todd had hoped to keep Stewart on, but his form earned him a six-figure transfer to QPR. After a shaky start to life in the Championship, Stewart hit form after the arrival of Danny Cullip from Nottingham Forest and soon cemented his place in the Shepherd Bush-based side." Jamaica Observer


4TheGame - Cerny: We needed victories
- Queens Park Rangers goalkeeper Radek Cerny has called on his side to win more games next season to ensure that they mount a promotion challenge.
- The 35-year-old kept 19 clean sheets in 47 appearances for the R's in his first season with the club, earning a joint share of the Championship's Golden Glove award for 2008-09.
- However, Cerny admitted that his side needed to convert some of their 16 league draws into victories to move higher in the table.
- He told the club's official website: "I'm really pleased to win this award, but I'd much rather have won a medal for going up.
- "Keeping clean sheets is a big part of a goalkeeper's job, but I have never really kept count.
- "I prefer to keep count of the number of wins we register, because that's what governs where you finish in the league at the end of the season.
- "We didn't win enough matches last season and that is something we need to improve next season." 4thegame


BBC Live - Ian Holloway On Dennis Oli
- "I had Dennis Oli as a trainee at QPR and he used to chase pigeons. He was so fast he used to catch some as well. He's a smashing lad and I'm delighted he is enjoying a career with Gillingham." Ian Holloway co-commentating on BBC Five Live


- Feel free to comment on any of these posts (or anything else QPR) at The QPR Report Messageboard!

Blog Archive