QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, December 17, 2007

Snippets: Curtiss Says Goodybe...No "Team of the Week" Players...Tough Start for Chris Arthur...Michael Meaker

-
JOHN CURTIS/ICONS I wish things had been different
Well, I'm finished at QPR which is a shame, but I see it as another challenge in my career and I'm strong enough to face it.
I'm obviously disappointed that things haven't worked out for me here because it is a great club, a fabulous place to be and it's been an honour being part of things.
Of course I wish I had been given more of a chance to prove what I could do at the club. I was only played in my proper position once in my time here and that makes it very difficult to impress.
I feel sure I could have contributed more if I had been given a chance, but that's all in the past now and there's never any point moaning. That's not my nature and I just want to crack on and find a role somewhere else.
I badly want to play football and believe I have a lot to offer any club that signs me. I've always believed in myself and my ability and that doesn't go away just because you haven't been given certain chances.
I'll be sorry to leave the club because, like I said, it's a great club. It's a massive club that doesn't deserve to be in the position it's in right now. They have massive aspirations and hopefully under the new owners they'll fulfil them.
They are a really good bunch of lads at QPR and it's sad to be saying goodbye to them. They have the ability and the spirit to get the club out of trouble. The fans are some of the best I have ever come across.
There has been so much change and transition at QPR that they now need some stability and if they can get that I'm sure they will be fine. Just as I'm sure I'll be fine to.
At least I'll now be able to spend time with my family at Christmas and that will be nice. Cheers and happy Christmas. Icons


No QPR (or Wolves) players in this week's Team of the Week.


On Loan From QPR, Chris Arthur came on as a second half sub for Hayes and Yeading who lost 5-0 at home to Gary Waddock's Report


Ex-QPR: Michael Meaker Tough Guy!
DE WET BAGS DOUBLE
"Bitton Boss Andy Black hopes his side's 3-0 Gloucestershire FA Trophy third-round victory at Fairford Town on Tuesday night has given them a shot in the arm ahead of their FA Vase clash with Brockenhurst.The third-round tie postponed last weekend is scheduled to take place at Bitton's Recreation Ground on Saturday,...Michael Meaker missed Tuesday night's success with apendicitis but could play on Saturday, while Tom Warren is back from a ban.... Report
[NB: Bitton won 3-1 after extra time. Don't know if Meaker actually played for Bitton.]
Meaker is player coach at Bitton. He also runs "The No.1 Football Academy

FA - Meaker's mark By Julian Bennetts. Thursday, 06 December 2007.
Bitton AFC v Brockenhurst The FA Carlsberg Vase
Third Round Proper 3pm, Saturday 8 December 2007
The Recreation Ground, Bitton AFC Winning clubs receive £1,200
In a career spanning 12 clubs and 17 years, former Queens Park Rangers and Reading s triker Michael Meaker should be used to pressure.
That might prove useful, as his Chairman at Bitton, John Langdon, is expecting great things from his 36-year-old player-coach ahead of Saturday's FA Vase Third Round tie against Brockenhurst.
"We're putting all the pressure on Michael to deliver the goods on Saturday," said Langdon.
"He's our top scorer, our player-coach and basically our key man. He's played as a professional and that makes such a big difference at our level."
Meaker, a former Welsh Under-21 international, is in his second season with Bitton after signing from Mangotsfield United, and his prowess on the non-League scene was betrayed by the 44 goals he scored in the 2005-2006 season while playing for Hounslow Borough - a club record.
With Bitton sitting eighth in the Western League Premier Division, an extended FA Vase run would add to what is proving to be a good season for the club, whose best result in recent years was achieved two seasons ago, when they reached the last 32 of the competition.
And Langdon insists that it would be 'massive' if Bitton can sweep aside their Wessex League opponents at the Recreation Ground on Saturday.
"It would be massive for us on two fronts - financially and in terms of club awareness," he explained.
"All clubs in the non-League set their stall out hoping to have a decent run in The FA Vase. It makes our season more profitable and everyone knows who we are if we've made a noise in this competition.
"Our league form has been okay in recent weeks, although we've had a couple of hiccups in our last couple of home games.
"We've never played Brockenhurst before, but we've had them watched a few times - they're a good side from all accounts, so we know it's going to be a tough game."
With a playing staff consisting of what Langdon calls 'everyday people - builders, engineers and the like,' the chance of playing at Wembley - as Truro City and AFC Totton did in last year's final - would be a dream come true.
"It would be fantastic," laughs Langdon.
"We're a little way off that though!" FA/Meaker's Mark


Elsewhere: Shabbaz Baidoo has yet to appear for Gillingham!.

Blog Archive