QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Dowie's Three Bites at the QPR Apple

-
Iain Dowie's Three QPR Rejections: A Retrospective on how his arrivals and departures were announced

I: JANUARY 1998: IAIN DOWIE JOINS QPR FROM WEST HAM

QPR Official Site - January 1998 - DEALS DONE AND DUSTED
RANGERS have confirmed tonight that all transfer deals reported yesterday have successfully been concluded, after Trevor Sinclair completed his move across London to join West Ham.
Rufus Brevett has made the switch to Craven Cottage to link up again with Ray Wilkins at Fulham, Juergen Sommer has agreed to a return to the USA, and Mark Kennedy has arrived on loan and will go straight into the first team squad for Saturday's game at Stockport.
Also into the squad goes Keith Rowland and Iain Dowie, having signed in at Loftus Road as part of the Sinclair transaction.
The two Northern Ireland internationals have completed the paperwork, having agreed personal terms with Rangers and could both make their debuts at the weekend.


QPR Official Site - January 1998 - DOWIE LOOKS AHEAD
NEW SIGNING Iain Dowie is relishing the challenge that lies ahead at Rangers following his move from West Ham.
Iain, 33, says: " I'm very pleased with the move. QPR are in a false position. I think Rangers are a big club with a fine ground and fanatical support. I've always enjoyed playing at Loftus Road in the past. The playing surface is one of the best in the league."
" It is good to team up with Ray Harford again. I played with him before at Luton. He's an excellent coach and Rangers have some excellent players here, so I'm looking forward to helping the team push up the league as quickly as possible."
Iain has 46 caps for Northern Ireland and is one goal short of his country's all-time scoring record.


II: OCTOBER 1998 - IAIN DOWIE APPOINTED ACTING MANAGER (First Time, Post Harford)

September 29, 1998 - RAY HARFORD STEPS DOWN
Queens Park Rangers FC announced on Monday morning the resignation of Manager Ray Harford following the team's 4-1 defeat at Oxford United on Saturday. Ray felt that at this difficult time it was in the Club's best interests he should step down.
The Club has appointed player/coach Iain Dowie, who has also been managing the unbeaten Reserve Team, as Caretaker Manager. Dowie will be in charge of the team for tomorrow's game at Wolverhampton Wanderers, and for next Saturday's home match against Grimsby Town.
The Board intend to advertise the position of manager and will be hoping to interview a short lisst of candidates over the next two weeks. An appointment will be made in due course.
In the probability of the home game against Ipswich Town on 11th October being postponed due to International duties, the Board will endeavour to have a manager in place by the following game away to Huddersfield town (17th October).
The Board gave careful consideration to appointing Player/Assistant Manager Vinnie Jones as Manager. The Board decided that it was in the best interests of the Club to formulate a short list of candidates for the position of Manager who will be interviewed in due course. Vinnie will be considered as part of this process.
A further announcement will be made in due course.


QPR Official Site - October 8, 1998 VINNIE JONES - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
RANGERS have issued the following statement concerning Vinnie Jones.
Contrary to reports in the newspapers today (8.10.98), QPR have not offered to end Vinnie Jones’ contract with a ‘golden handshake’.
Vinnie Jones remains in contention for the job of manager of QPR, as does caretaker boss Iain Dowie who is currently on international duty with Northern Ireland.
Following Ray Harford’s resignation ten days ago, Jones requested - and was granted - a leave of absence. Should both Jones and Dowie be unsuccessful in their applications, they will remain at QPR as part of the playing squad.
Rangers expect to have their new manager in place by October 17 when the team visit Huddersfield in the Nationwide League Division One.


QPR Official Site - DOWIE IGNORES THE HYPE October 12, 1998
- CARETAKER boss Iain Dowie has returned to training at Rangers after a successful weekend away with Northern Ireland, and is ignoring all the media hype regarding the vacant manager's position.
- Iain says: " Whatever the scenario is at QPR, I’m just taking it day by day and working very hard to get the lads prepared for Saturday. I can’t affect anything that goes on off the field. I had a chat with the directors at Rangers and they will make their decision.
Whatever that is, I’ll go along with it. I just want to see QPR do well. That’s the most important thing at the moment. It’s not about personalities. It’s about everyone fighting and pulling the same way for the benefit of the club."


QPR - October 19, 1998 - Staying Under New Manager, Gerry Francis - DOWIE KNUCKLES DOWN
- IAIN DOWIE relished his role as caretaker manager and is now knuckling down to his new role as player-coach.
- Iain said: "I enjoyed being caretaker very much. Especially the win at Wolves. It was a big honour to be in charge at a club like QPR. I will now continue to give my all as player-coach. And I look forward to learning from Gerry, as he’s been a success wherever he’s been in football."
THE 830 travelling R’s fans at Huddersfield heralded Gerry Francis’ return to the club in noisy fashion.
There was a lengthy rendition of "Gerry Francis’ Blue and White Army..." for most of the first half, plus airings of "Gerry is Back, Allo..." and "There’s Only One Gerry Francis..."
Gerry attended the game in an observational capacity. He sat in the directors’ box and took page after page of stream of consciousness notes.
Gerry’s first full day in charge is today, and he takes his first training session this afternoon.


III: 2001 - DOWIE AS ACTING MANAGER (Second Time, Post-Francis)

QPR Official Site - February 20, 2001 - IAIN - I'D LOVE TO BE BOSS
- IN THE build-up to the Gillingham game, assistant boss Iain Dowie has been putting forward his case in the interviews for the manager's job at Rangers.
-Iain said: "I've had my interview and I put my point to the board. I think continuity here is very important.
- "We've got 18 players out of contract and it is important that the new manager does know the players.
- "I also feel I've got something fresh to give. I think I am an innovative coach and I can get a response from the lads.
- "I also feel I can step into the mantle of a manager. I've got some bright ideas and things I want to implement. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity.
- "I consider this to be a very good club and one that I've really enjoyed my time at. Hopefully my hard work will have earned me the opportunity to be the next manager. If I don't get the job, it won't be through lack of hard work when I've been coaching.
- "It's nice that a large percentage of the fans feel that I should get the opportunity. I understand that people have been putting my name forward on the internet, which is lovely. It's nice to know that I have that support and I'd like to get Rangers back to a position where we can challenge for honours."


February 26, 2001: (From Official Site) Deputy Chairman Nick Blackburn & Ian Holloway on Dowie Under Holloway
"...Deputy chairman Nick Blackburn admitted at this afternoon's gathering that he was unsure as to how assistant manager Iain Dowie would react to the news of Holloway's appointment after he failed to get the job, and Holloway said he was unsure of Dowie's position in the new set-up.
"I am convinced that Iain Dowie will have a great career as a manager. I have not spoken to him since the appointment but it is up to the two Ians to decide what they will do for the future," he said.
Holloway did not rule out the likelihood of Dowie remaining at the club, but insisted that until he had spoken to the staff and the players at the club he wasn't prepared to comment.
"Until I have spoken to everyone here I cannot comment on what will happen but I have my own ideas which I want done my way. I know football is notorious for managers bringing their own people in, but until I have assessed the whole set-up I cannot say what will happen." .


QPR Official Site, March 7, 2001 - THREE ON THE MOVE AS OLLY MAKES HIS MARK
- IAIN DOWIE has left QPR after having his contract paid up in full by the club. Dowie has worked very hard during his time at QPR and the club wishes him every success in the future.
New manager Ian Holloway is looking to bring in his own backroom staff. Holloway said: "When I got the job I talked about bringing in my own backroom staff which most people do in football. I've taken this decision now in order to give him the best chance of getting another job.
- "Iain has worked very hard for the club and I'm sure he will do very well in the future. We wish him all the best."


IV: 2008: DOWIE ARRIVES & DEPARTS

QPR Official Site - May 2008 - EXCLUSIVE: DOWIE APPOINTED
Queens Park Rangers Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Iain Dowie as First Team Coach with immediate effect.
The 43 year-old, who spent three years in W12 during a distinguished playing career, has today (Wednesday 14th May 2008) put pen to paper on a two-year contract at Loftus Road.
Speaking about the appointment, QPR Sporting Director Gianni Paladini, said: "Iain Dowie has a proven track record in the Championship and we're delighted to have him on board."
Dowie, who enjoyed a brief stint as Caretaker Manager of the R's, before working under Gerry Francis in the role of Assistant Manager, also expressed his delight, commenting: "This is a very exciting long-term project.
"I'm very privileged to have been given the opportunity under the new ownership to return to the Club where I served my managerial apprenticeship.
"I've been thoroughly impressed by the new investors and their fresh, aggressive and innovative approach to all sporting matters, as well as the marketing and commercial aspect of this Football Club.
"QPR is a fantastic Club, with a steep and successful history and I'm going to relish the challenge that lies ahead." QPR


Dowie's Departure - CLUB STATEMENT - 24 October 2008
The Board of Queens Park Rangers Football Club has given notice to terminate the contract of Manager Iain Dowie with immediate effect.
Dowie, who took over the reins at Loftus Road in the summer, oversaw 15 matches in charge in all competitions and leaves the R's in ninth place in the Coca Cola Championship.
Player / Coach Gareth Ainsworth has been appointed Caretaker Manager on a temporary basis and will take charge of First Team affairs until further notice.
The Club will be making no further comment at this stage - QPR

Blog Archive