QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Photos from Swansea....Swansea 'Goalkeeper' - "I was a little surprised QPR didn't give me more work to do"

-
[Photos from Swansea-QPR. QPR wearing their traditional black with yellow bits!]


Swansea Evening Post - Alan Tate: Summer breaks did me a fat lot of good
- ALAN Tate admits he has only himself to blame for a lack of first-team chances at Swansea City this season after letting his fitness slide in the summer.
- Tate made a long-awaited Championship debut against Queens Park Rangers on Tuesday night — as an emergency goalkeeper.
But Swansea's vice-captain is now targeting an appearance in a more accustomed defensive role after getting his conditioning right.
"I can't say I'm frustrated not to have been playing because it's probably my own fault," Tate said....
Regarded as a centre-back by Roberto Martinez, Tate always knew he could be summoned for goalkeeping duty thanks to the Spaniard's policy of going without a recognised stopper on the bench.
That moment came when Dorus de Vries was carried out of the Rangers draw, and Tate survived for over an hour as Swansea dominated.
"I made one punch when I thought I was going to get clattered," Tate smiled.
"I also came out and made one clearance, but the gaffer told me to stop doing that at half-time.
"I was a little surprised QPR didn't give me more work to do, but then they never really got too far down the pitch because the lads in front of me did so well."
The ever-willing Tate insists he would be happy to start in goal against Southampton this weekend, though the reality is that he will return to the bench with Artur Krysiak set for a debut between the posts.
"I'd do it again if the manager wanted me to," he added. "It was a funny way for my first Championship appearance to come, but I love playing for this club and I don't mind what position I'm in..."" Swansea Evening Post


Swansea Official Keeper Tatey wants a bonus!
Swans defender Alan Tate wants to renegotiate his contract - so that he can have a clean sheet bonus written in!
Tate came off the bench after just 27 minutes to replace the injured Dorus de Vries between the sticks and managed to keep a clean sheet in the goalless draw with QPR.
While QPR couldn't manage one shot on target all game, Tate was happy to take some of the plaudits while also praising the 10 players in-front of him.

"I'm going to see if I can have Dorus's clean sheet bonus,'' joked Tate. "After all, I was on longer than him.
"I was ready to come on. Ever since I've been on the bench this season, I've always known I am cover not just for the whole back four but the goalkeeper as well.
"Thankfully I didn't have a lot to do. I punched one, but only because I thought I was going to get clattered.
"I ran out of my area to clear another one, but the Gaffer (Roberto Martinez) told me at half-time not to do it again!''
And having made his first league appearance of the season, Tate is still more than happy to play anywhere the manager tells him to.
"I don't know about challenging Dorus for his position long term,'' he joked. "I'll be happy to play in goal from the start on Saturday, but somehow I don't think the manager will play me!''
"Tatey is a very honest player,'' added Roberto. "That's why he's the club's vice-captain. I'm sure he'll have his time.''
It was the second time in his Swans career the former Manchester United product has taken over the emergency duties in goal after replacing the injured Roger Freestone at Hartlepool back in February 2004....Tate came on with 20 minutes remaining and with the Swans already 3-0 down. Although Tate made one good save that day, he still had to pick the ball out of the net as the Swans eventually lost 4-0...' Swansea

Blog Archive