QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, September 22, 2008

Dowie: "I have a different set of problems now but I have to Ignore Them and Worry About Making Sure We Have a Successful Team..." - Dowie vs Coleman

-
Dowie's Problems? From the Daily Express Article
"... Dowie said: “There are no low points in football and I’m very lucky because I do ­something I love every day. “When I was at Coventry, it was more of a concern for office staff because there were times when they weren’t being paid...I have a ­different set of problems now but I have to ignore them and worry about making sure we have a successful team and, on this evidence, we can do that...." .”

Daily Express/Graham Read - EASY DOES IT FOR COLEMAN
For two men who have a lot in common, Iain Dowie and Chris Coleman are managerial opposites.
Coventry have experienced the styles of both men in the past seven months and, as they won at the Ricoh Arena, they will be more than happy with the present occupier of a ­managerial seat which has proved too hot to be successful in recent years.
Dowie lasted just under a year at the club and was swiftly replaced by Coleman. It is ­obvious that Coleman’s more
urbane nature sits easier with chairman Ray Ranson, who has backed his charge with substantial finance this summer.
And it was there for all to see in this game. Coleman stood calm and cool – outwardly at least – in his trademark dark suit just a couple of yards from the dugout.
Occasionally there would be a shout or a gesture, but it was always targeted and directed with the minimum of fuss.
Just a couple of yards away was Dowie – a picture of ­perpetual motion – clad in full kit looking as if he was about to come on as a player. And he did feel every kick, header and foul; he looked as tired as his players on the final whistle.
His manic urgings came to nothing on a day of frustration for QPR as, it could be argued, they showed their true colours. After all, Dowie had spent very little, that much was evident.
Coleman and Dowie played together at Crystal Palace and are good friends, perhaps proof that opposites attract.
"I don’t know what Iain is like in the dressing room,” said Coleman. “But I know what he was like as a player and he was a strong competitor. We are both competitors. I might look very calm and composed but, if I had a heart-rate monitor, it would tell you a different story.
“If you wave your arms about constantly, it can look as if you are nervous, so I tend not to do it. It is the same if you
are shouting at players for 90 ­minutes – they just turn off.”
His Coventry side won the game thanks to a first-half penalty by Elliott Ward.
But just as they had at Sheffield United last Tuesday, they stopped doing the things which had earned them their domination and that helped, along with Dowie’s half-time urgings, to give QPR the upper hand. They knew, therefore, that they should have taken something from the game.
But Dowie said: “There are no low points in football and I’m very lucky because I do ­something I love every day.
“When I was at Coventry, it was more of a concern for office staff because there were times when they weren’t being paid.
“I’m pleased the takeover happened for Coventry. I have a ­different set of problems now but I have to ignore them and worry about making sure we have a successful team and, on this evidence, we can do that.
“We have people here who are wealthy and the ­spectre of administration is never going to loom over this club
.” Daily Express

Blog Archive