QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Snippets: Watson to QPR?...Bosnich on Not Signing for QPR...Two Years to the Day: Gregory Appointed QPR Manager

-
BBC Gossip - Crystal Palace midfielder Ben Watson will seek a cut-price move to QPR in January. (Daily Mirror) BBC


Sydney Morning Herald/Michael Cockerill - Bosnich - "....QUEENS PARK RANGERS
"..."I totally understand that. My past is not Queens Park Rangers' past."
"I was offered a contract at QPR in December, but eventually it was explained to me that there was somebody on the board who was dead-set against it because of my past. "I totally understand that. My past is not Queens Park Rangers' past." Report


Flashback: Two years ago Today: John Gregory Appointed Manager of QPR.

QPR Official Site, September 20, 2006: - GREGORY APPOINTED
John Gregory has been appointed as QPR First Team Manager with immediate effect.
Gary Waddock will now work under the former Aston Villa boss in an Assistant Manager's role.
In an exclusive interview with www.qpr.co.uk, Chairman Gianni Paladini revealed his delight at the appointment: "It's a fantastic scoop for the Club.
"John is a proven manager at the highest level and is very eager to get back in to the managerial game.
"He's sat down with Gary and talked everything through and the situation is perfect as we look to climb the Championship table.
"I'd like to wish the pair of them the very best in their new roles.''
Gregory - who has been out of the game since leaving Derby County in 2003 - commented: "I'm back in the hot-seat and it's a huge challenge.
"QPR are very close to my heart and it's a fantastic opportunity for me.
"This is a job I can very much get my teeth into and I'm relishing the challenge that lies ahead.
"Winning matches is what matters most in the business and we aim to do that, starting Saturday.''
Waddock said: "It's the right decision for the club, I'm just thankful that Gianni thinks enough of me to keep me here as Assistant Manager.
"I look forward to working with John, we both played together under Terry Venables and have the same work ethic.
"I'll learn a lot from him and I'm sure that this appointment will benefit the club I love."

QPR Official Site - MACCA DEPARTS
Alan McDonald has been given notice to terminate his employment at Queens Park Rangers Football Club.
After making 483 appearances for the Hoops in a successful 16-year spell as a player, McDonald joined the R's as Caretaker Assistant Manager in February 2006, prior to taking up the position of Assistant Manager towards the end of June.
Chairman Gianni Paladini told qpr.co.uk: "I'd like to thank Alan McDonald for all the hard work he's done here since February.
"He's been a great servant for this Club, both as a player and in his role as Assistant Manager, and I wish him all the best for the future.''


SKYSPORTS - Gregory happy to be back By Lewis Rutledge - 20 Sep 2006
John Gregory has expressed his delight at returning to management with Queens Park Rangers.
Gregory has been away from football since being sacked by Derby in 2003, but QPR decided to bring him in following a disastrous start to the season.
Having played for QPR in the past Gregory admits he is pained to see the club bottom of The Championship, and he is determined to guide them clear of relegation.
He also explained that his history at the club had been a factor in his decision to return to Loftus Road.
"It feels very good," he told Sky Sports News. "I'm ready to come back to work.
"It (news of the appointment) kind of broke towards the end of the weekend. I spoke to the chairman and the board of directors and we sorted things out very quickly.
"You can start romancing about the past and what it was like during my time here.
"I was here for four-and-a-half seasons and we won almost every week. We had a tremendous success rate, so they were very happy times.
"So that did influence me but it wasn't the overriding issue.
"From a geography point of view it is ideal for me, and just knowing that there is an opportunity here to improve the team, to get us back up the table, and look for Championship safety."
Gregory's predecessor Gary Waddock, who played alongside the 51-year-old at QPR, is to remain at the club as assistant manager.
"It's been a tough time for Gary but he'll cope. He's a really strong personality and I want him to continue to be part of my staff," said Gregory.
"We'll work together and I hope the next time he sits in the big chair he'll be a lot more experienced and he'll have learned from his time in charge here."
Skysports


TEAMTALK Gregory warns of tough times ahead
John Gregory has warned QPR they face "a serious relegation threat" after succeeding Gary Waddock as manager at Loftus Road.
The former Aston Villa and Derby boss has signed a contract until the end of the season with Rangers, with the option of a one-year rolling contract to follow if he does well.
Gregory takes over with Rangers bottom of the Championship and out of the Carling Cup - and he urged the players to show more heart in the battles that lie ahead.
"There is a serious threat of relegation at this club," Gregory said. "I saw them knocked out of the Carling Cup at Port Vale last night.
"Some of the players turned up - but quite a few of them did not bother going.
"Every player will have a fresh chance to impress me, and that is what they are here to do.
"I still have lots of points to prove to myself - although not to anyone else. I hope I can improve the fortunes of the team."
Waddock was relieved of his duties after meeting Rangers chairman Gianni Paladini - a close friend of Gregory - after the 3-2 defeat at Vale Park.
During the reigns of Ian Holloway and Waddock, there was considerable speculation regarding how much influence Paladini exerted over team selection and transfer policy - but Gregory made it clear he would tolerate no such interference.
The 51-year-old continued: "The training ground is the one place where I do not want anyone to interfere with my work.
"That is my domain. Having success is about keeping good habits, working hard and getting things right.
"In terms of transfers, we will work with what we have, although there is the opportunity to make loan signings, which has been a blessing for Championship clubs."
Gregory's friendship with Paladini is likely to raise some eyebrows among Rangers fans, with whom the Italian former agent has never been wholly popular.
Backed by a consortium of Monte Carlo-based businessmen, Paladini took control from former chairman Bill Power in a boardroom coup in September 2005.
Rangers have suffered considerable financial problems in recent seasons and spent the 2001-02 season - before Paladini had become involved with the club - in administration, but Gregory was quick to defend Paladini and fellow director Antonio Caliendo.
He added: "I have known Gianni for some time, and, were it not for he and Antonio, the club might not be here today.
"Our results can dictate the direction of the financial side of things.
"If we can improve on the pitch, more supporters will start coming to watch us, and it will help everything." Teamtalk


BBC - September 20, 2006: Gregory appointed as new QPR boss
QPR have unveiled John Gregory as their new manager, with former boss Gary Waddock becoming first-team coach.
Former Aston Villa boss Gregory, 51, returns to management three-and-a-half years after leaving Derby.
Waddock replaced sacked Ian Holloway at the helm in February before getting the position full-time in the summer but has struggled since then.
Gregory, joining with QPR bottom of the Championship, said: "I'm back in the hot-seat and it's a huge challenge."
QPR have won just one league game this season and were knocked out of the Carling Cup by Port Vale on Tuesday evening.
This is a job I can very much get my teeth into and I'm relishing the challenge
John Gregory
But Gregory, a close friend of Rangers chairman Gianni Paladini and a former player at the club in the 1980s, is looking forward to a daunting task.
"QPR are very close to my heart and it's a fantastic opportunity for me," said Gregory, who reached the FA Cup final with QPR as a player in 1982.
"This is a job I can very much get my teeth into and I'm relishing the challenge that lies ahead.
"Winning matches is what matters most in the business and we aim to do that, starting Saturday.''
He also told BBC Sport: "It's a club I was associated with for four-and-a-half years of my playing career - probably the most successful of my football career.
"I won my England caps while playing for QPR - that kind of influenced to want to come here."
Paladini revealed his delight at Gregory's appointment, saying: "It's a fantastic scoop for the club.
"John is a proven manager at the highest level and is very eager to get back in to the managerial game.
"He's sat down with Gary and talked everything through and the situation is perfect as we look to climb the Championship table.
Waddock said: "It's the right decision for the club, I'm just thankful that Gianni thinks enough of me to keep me here as Assistant Manager.
I look forward to working with John, we both played together under Terry Venables and have the same work ethic
Gary Waddock
"I look forward to working with John, we both played together under Terry Venables and have the same work ethic.
"I'll learn a lot from him and I'm sure that this appointment will benefit the club I love."
Gregory began his managerial career at Portsmouth and he also had a spell at Plymouth.
He took over at Wycombe Wanderers in October 1996, where he helped the team avoid relegation and remained in charge for two years.
The former England midfielder took over at Villa in the 1997/98 season and during the four years under Gregory's management Villa never finished outside the top eight in the Premiership.
He has also managed Derby and has been out of management since leaving the Rams in March 2003. BBC QPR Report

Blog Archive