QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Lee Cook's Excitement at Man Ut Draw...Delaney on Need for Consistency....Gareth Ainsworth Looks Back at Week/Looks Forward to Birmingham

-
Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times - Lee Cook on Manchester United Draw "Old Trafford bound
AS a youngster, Lee Cook was so desperate to see QPR win at Old Trafford that he discharged himself early from hospital.

The nine-year-old Cook's dreams came true as Rangers annihilated Manchester United 4-1 - now the winger wants to recreate that memorable New Year's Day after the Carling Cup draw set up a rematch.

"I had a bad asthma attack that night, when Dennis Bailey got a hat-trick, and I was in hospital," Cook recalled.

"But they let me out a little earlier than they probably should have done because I said 'I want to watch the match at home with my family'.

"I've never played against United, but that's what I remember most about Old Trafford and it'd be nice to go and beat them again, wouldn't it? Imagine that, if we could get a result.

"I was at home watching the draw, about 10 minutes before I had to leave the house and get to Loftus Road for the Derby game and the missus was in the other room.

"I went mad, I jumped out screaming and she shouted 'what is it?'. I shouted back 'We've got Man United at Old Trafford, I can't believe it!' - I was just buzzing.

"Within two minutes I had about 10 missed calls on my phone, but I couldn't answer them because I had to get ready and leave."

Dennis Bailey's glorious treble in 1992 earned Rangers what remains their only victory at Old Trafford - and next month's tie will be the first time the sides have met since the Rs' relegation from the Premiership in 1996.

But last week's third round success at Villa Park has strengthened the self-belief in the QPR camp and Cook certainly does not believe the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

"I think we can go up there and give them a decent game," he added. "It's a case of going there and enjoying it.

"Old Trafford is the biggest ground in the country, so to play there is something we're all going to enjoy. Say there are 60,000-70,000, playing in front of them is going to give us an extra kick.

"You never know what kind of team United are going to play, but we want to put on a good performance. I was hoping to draw Chelsea, but if we were going to get a big side, this is the best we could have hoped for."

That sentiment was echoed by Rangers boss Iain Dowie, who stunned the Red Devils when he guided Coventry to victory at Old Trafford in the Carling Cup last season.

"If you're going to have a big one, you might as well have the biggest," said Dowie. "You've got to have a very good day, any time you go there - I just hope I haven't made them too angry last time."

The fourth round tie is due to take place on November 11 or 12. Kilburn Times


Kilburn Times - Damien Delaney "Omens are good for Damien after Hoops draw Red Devils
DAMIEN Delaney has warned that QPR cannot afford to let their surprise cup run distract them from the business of collecting league points.

Rangers slumped to defeat by Derby just three days after stunning Aston Villa in the third round of the Carling Cup with a highly organised defensive display.

"I want to be stood at Premier League grounds every week talking about victories, but the only way that's going to happen is if we do the business every Saturday," said Delaney (pictured).

"Cup runs are great, performances like the one we put in at Villa are good for confidence and it's a bonus for us, but the league games are our bread and butter.

"With it being the League Cup, we're playing midweek, so it's not like what happens in the FA Cup when you start missing league games and we have a squad big enough to cope with that.

"But it's fantastic to be part of a cup run. The lads who have been here a while like Rowly and Gaz Ainsworth tell us all the time that they haven't had a cup run since they came to QPR.

"It's great for the fans as well - I wasn't expecting as many fans as we had at Villa and the whole upper tier of that big stand was full, so I'm pleased we sent them home singing. Kilburn Times


Gareth Ainsworth/Kilburn Times - Step on the Gaz
IT'S BEEN a strange week at the club, coming off the back of that unbelievable Carling Cup victory over Aston Villa last Wednesday.
It was one of the biggest results for QPR in the last 15 years or so, it was fantastic to be involved, and then to get drawn against Man United at Saturday lunch-time was incredible.
The whole club was riding high, and then suddenly within a few hours we'd lost at Derby and the shine had come off a bit.
But I think tiredness from our exploits against Villa had a lot to do with that result, and I think most fans would take a league defeat if it meant beating a top Premier League side in a cup and setting up a trip to Old Trafford.
Of course we've now drawn with Blackpool as well and dropped to eighth in the table. But we're still only three points off third, and what with being in the last 16 of the Carling Cup now I think a lot of people would take this situation.
The fans should be very proud of the club and of the team, and it's only recently that we've had the facilites and the team to do things like this.
Iain Dowie hasn't been going overboard with references to his victory over United with Coventry last year.
But lightning might strike twice and we'd be into fairytale land if we won - we'd then be in the quarter-finals and starting to have a real look at whether we could go on to achieve something truly special.
It's possible that United will rest some of their bigger players against us, but I think Alex Ferguson will remember Iain Dowie and won't want to be knocked out by him twice in two years.
I'm desperate to play myself, and may change the team-sheet just before the game to get myself on, but I think a few of the lads might have something to say about that.
This weekend we've got a tough game against Birmingham, which is particularly important because it comes right before an international break.
Of course we've got internationals in our team, and that's a great honour for them, but otherwise the time off will give both the players and the fans a well deserved break.
And, although our injury situation is very good at the moment, it will also give people like Akos Buzsaky more training time.
Birmingham are doing well, as expected, and we know they're very strong at home, while we need to sort out our away form, but what better place to do that than at one of the league leaders?
St Andrew's has always been a happy hunting ground for me, both as a Port Vale player and at QPR, so hopefully that trend will continue on Saturday. Kilburn Times

Blog Archive