QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Man Who Captained QPR to 1967 Cup Triumph and Successive Promotions, Dies: RIP Mike Keen

- For a slew of "cutting-edge" articles and links to articles re QPR and football-in-general...For a site where differing opinions are encouraged - as long as the subject is football - but without the ad-hominems: Visit the completely-independent QPR Report Messageboard. Post if you want. Or just read if you prefer. ALL perspectives genuinely welcomed!

RIP Mike Keen

Midfielder and captain, Mike Keen has died. Mike Keen was with QPR from 1959-1969 before moving on to team up again with Alec Stock at Luton, where he again won promotion. When Rodney Marsh made his QPR debut, Mike Keen captained the team. When QPR made their First Division debut against Leicester, once again, Mike Keen captained the team. And when QPR finally won their first game in the First Division, against Ipswich in October: Once again, Mike Keen captained the team. RIP - See Profile

- Video: Watch Mike Keen's Greatest Moment: The 1967 League Cup Final - Including Keen's Coin Toss and Collecting the Trophy

QPR Official Site - MIKE KEEN
- The Club is saddened to hear of the death of former R's captain Mike Keen.
- Keen, who skippered Rangers to our 1967 League Cup Final victory against West Bromwich Albion, died on Saturday evening following a short illness.
- Keen, who was 69 years-old, made 393 appearances for the R's, scoring 39 goals.
- The thoughts of the Club are with his family and friends at this difficult time.
- As a mark of respect, QPR players will wear black armbands at tomorrow's home fixture against Sheffield Wednesday.
- More to follow..." QPR

As posted here last month on his 69th Birthday

1967 Hero and Captain, Mike Keen, turns 69
Born March 19, 1940. Keen made more than 400 QPR appearances from 1959 to 1968/1969, midfielder/winghalf and Captain, Mike Keen. Captained QPR from 3rd to 1st Division and in the League Cup Final.
- Keen was probably not very well treated by QPR at the end. He was sold to Alec Stock's Luton when we were in our Relegation Fight...and Keen then proceeded to lead Luton to promotion out of Division 3 (and returned to Loftus Road with Luton in 1970/71, scoring the winning goal!). Keen then joined Watford. Managed Watford and Northampton and then-non-League Wycombe,. Was briefly a coach at QPR when Frank Sibley was manager. His son played for West Ham and Wolves. Keen was recently back at Loftus Road with several members of the 1967 squad.

From Sunday Times, April 6 2003 "Where are they now"
"Mike Keen - One of the old school of half-backs Keen was a skilful player who enjoyed delivering long passes, and he was a strong, clinical tackler. He was a QPR stalwart who joined the club in 1958, and played in 393 League matches. After a change of managers, he moved to Luton before finishing his playing career at Watford. He was appointed manager at Vicarage Road and enjoyed four years at the club, where he set about engendering the spirit he had experienced as a player at Loftus Road. He managed Northampton for a year before taking charge of Wycombe part-time and then Marlow while he concentrated on running Sport and Ski, a shop in Wycombe. He lives in Flackwell Heath in Buckinghamshire, and is manager of a shop in Oxfordshire that sells outdoor gear and ski equipment." QPR Report

Front row, sitting next to Chairman, Jim Gregory)

- If you have memories of Mike Keen you'd like to share and post

Blog Archive