QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

QPR Lose to Grimsby in QPR Youth Cup Final

- The QPR Report Messageboard. Visit the completely-independent, free-thinking site for news and discussion about QPR and football-in-general....For a site, where only football matters are discussed...For a site where, differing opinions about QPR and football are welcomed without the ad-hominems and the shibboleths. QPR Report Messageboard : Post if you want; or just read, if you prefer. ALL perspectives encouraged!

- Posted Earlier on QPR Report Blog "Roy Keane?...QPR's Performance Manager Motivates...QPR's Relegation Anniversary ...De Canio and QPR...Camp to Nottingham ?...Mike Keen's Funeral

Among the articles recently posted on the QPR Report Messageboard:
- Mike Keen's Funeral Service Was held Yesterday: A Couple of accounts of the service - Among those attending from 1967: Mark Lazarus, Tony Hazell and Rodney Marsh --- On This Day, Eight Years ago: That terrible, terrible day when QPR's Relegation back to "Division III" was confirmed --- Two Years Ago Today: Win Keeps John Gregory's QPR Up
--- One Year Ago Today: Leaked - QPR's New Crest--- Where Are They Now? Tim Flowers Scouting for England U-21s --- Ex-QPR Colin Clarke Update: Coaching Puerto Rico--- Life of a Loan Player "Loneliness of the Lower League Loan Star"
--- Al Fayed's Perspective --- Football Clubs: "Financial Doping" --- The Shame of Racism in Italian Football

Grimsby Official Site
Town Fight Back To Lift Trophy - Puma Youth Alliance League Cup Final
At Loftus Road
QPR Youth 1 (Parker) Grimsby Town Youth 2 (Thompson, Freeman)
DESPITE an early set-back Grimsby Town Youth fought back for a deserved victory to lift the Puma Youth Alliance League Cup at QPR tonight.
Town showed flare and enthusiasm going forward and defended manfully throughout the game.
Kiel Thompson and Danny Freeman made sure that Neil Woods' side lifted the trophy for the first time.
Town got off to the worst possible start when they fell behind after just 6 minutes. Josh Parker's solo effort was tucked away nicely from an acute angle.

The Mariners almost pulled level on 19 minutes. Steel's free-kick found it's way to Mark Gray and his shot went just wide.

On 40 minutes Town were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box after a hand ball.. Kiel Thompson's brilliant effort was save by Putnins, who also saved the Town follow up.
Seconds later a lovely sweeping move from the Mariners ended with Kiel Thompson hammering the ball home to give Town a deserved equaliser.
Town took the lead on 56 minutes. Fuller burst past 3 players before finding Freeman to bang in his 22nd goal of the season with his right foot.
On 65 minutes QPR player Luke Ollie was sent off for a professional foul after hauling down Nathan Dixon.
Town Youth: Overton, Woods, Parker, Bird, Gray, Steel, Fuller, Thompson, Davis, Dixon, Freeman. Subs: Corner, Brittle, Moore, Deane, Peet.
QPR Youth: Putnins, Wright, Waters, Davenport, Harris, Olley, Ehmer, Smith, German, Sutherland, Parker. Subs: Bailey, Bulmer, Perring, Cox, Nanetti.
- Follow Live

QPR Official Site QPR U-18 1, GRIMSBY U-18 2
- QPR Under-18's succumbed to a 2-1 defeat in the Puma Youth Alliance League Cup Final, in front of a 1,000-plus strong crowd at Loftus Road.

Josh Parker gave Rangers a dream start with a fine sixth minute strike, but the Mariners responded with goals from Kiel Thompson (42) and Danny Freeman (57) to clinch a deserved victory.
To make matters worse for the hosts, Luke Olley saw red, as the R's finished with ten men.
After an even opening, it was the R's who took a sixth minute lead.
Livewire Parker, playing on the left of the R's three pronged attack, broke free down the left flank and after leaving two defenders trailing in his wake, fired the ball underneath Leigh Overton from an acute angle.
To their credit, Grimsby responded positively, enjoying their fair share of possession as the clock approached the quarter hour mark.
But it was the hosts who continued to pose the greater attacking threat, with Parker's pace and power causing constant problems for Mariners right back Sam Woods.
At the other end, Matthew Bird's 15-yard volley flew inches wide, before Kiel Thompson brought best out of Elvijs Putnins and from the resultant rebound, Danny Davenport's last ditch tackle averted the danger.
Grimsby were enjoying their most productive spell of the half and Putnins has to be at his agile best to make two saves in as many seconds; the first from distance and the second from close range, as the Mariners upped the ante.
Undeterred, it was Rangers who crafted the next opportunity, with Max Ehmer prodding the ball wide from 12-yards after Antonio German pulled the ball back from the right by-line.
But it was Grimsby who finished the half in the ascendancy, with Josh Fuller firing high and wide from 10-yards out three minutes before the break.
Rangers didn't heed the warning though and from their next attack, the Mariners drew level.
It was going to take an effort of some note to beat the inspired Putnins and that's what exactly what occurred. After a neat build-up, the ball found its way to Thompson and he duly let fly, smashing an unstoppable arcing half-volley beyond Putnins and into the roof of the net.

Buoyed by their goal, the Mariners grabbed a second at the start of the second half.
With the clock showing 54 minutes, the excellent Fuller broke free down the right and played the ball inside to Freeman, who made no mistake, firing home unmarked from the edge of the six-yard box.
Rangers introduced Elliott Cox soon after and whilst the diminutive wide-man had little impact by way of early touches, his presence seemed to breathe new life in to the R's.
Indeed, it was the R's who created the next opportunity of note, with Ehmer's back post cross finding German, who poked the ball wide.
But disaster struck for the hosts moments later, when Olley was given his marching orders for a professional foul, as Freeman broke through on goal.
Rangers appeared to have a couple of players covering, but referee Mr Muge had no hesitation in brandishing a straight red card.
The numerical disadvantage proved costly, as the R's - for all their efforts - failed to break down a resilient Grimsby rearguard, as the Mariners celebrated a narrow 2-1 victory at full-time.
QPR Under-18s: Putnins, Wright, Waters, Davenport, Harris, Olley, Ehmer, Smith (Bailey 87), German, Sutherland (Cox 60), Parker.
Subs: Bulmer, Perring, Nanetti. QPR

Blog Archive