QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fan Violence as QPR Draw With Millwall - Compilation of Match Reports and Comments

- Fulham Chronicle "Night of Shame as 11 Arrested Following QPR Riots"
-For QPR and Football Updates throughout the day, visit the ever-growing (and hopefully always-improving!) QPR Report Messageboard/quasi-blog. Either offer your own perspectives on any of the topics (QPR and football only). Or of course, feel free to simply read the various QPR and football-only discussions. Also: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER
- The Stan Bowles Quiz

- QPR Video from September 1972: Just two weeks after Stan Bowles Joined QPR, showing his brilliance

- Birthday for Former QPR Chairman, Bill Power

- Five Years Ago, Gianni Paladini Officially Appointed Bill Power's Replacement as Chairman.

- Also Birthday Today: Pat Agyemang

- QPR's FA Cup Final Replay Sub Hits the Half Century Mark

- Forty Years Ago Today: Revenge for Alec Stock and Mike Keen at Luton who beat QPR at Loftus Road

- Great Job: Become a Football Administrator!

- "Leaders in Football" Conference Details

- VIDEO from 1975: QPR Crush Everton

- QPR1st Statement "Trouble at Match on Tuesday"


QPR Drew 0-0 with Millwall before a crowd of just over 15,000 and stay Six points clear at the top - Updated Championship Table

FULHAM CHRONICLE/Adam Courtney - Night of shame as 11 arrested following QPR riots

Football hooligans brought shame to Shepherd's Bush on Tuesday night as they fought running battles before and after the QPR vs Millwall match.

There were reports of major disorder both before, during and after the match, with rival fans engaging in violent clashes along Wood Lane, Uxbridge Road and near Westfield Shopping Centre.

There are as yet unconfirmed reports that a supporter had been stabbed prior to the match, which finished 0-0.

By 11pm police had confirmed they had arrested 11 people for a variety of offences including possessing an offensive weapon, common assault, assaulting police and affray.

They could not confirm how many from each each club had been detained.

Fans and witnesses besieged social networking site Twitter and variously described the area around Loftus Road as a 'war zone', 'bedlam' and 'like being back in the 1970s', with many R's fans accusing Millwall supporters of behaving like 'animals'.

Some said they saw some of the Bermondsey team's fans hitting women and children and there were also reports of a QPR fan with two darts sticking from his chest. Seats were ripped and coins thrown during the game, according to some fans.

A massive police presence descended on W12 before the game, with dogs, horses, riot officers and helicopters deployed to deal with the south London team's notoriously hardcore following.

A video posted on Twitter showed trouble brewing about an hour-and-a-half before kick-off, as a large number of Millwall fans arrived in Shepherd's Bush Green.

Police confirmed there was disorder before the match in the Walkabout bar and The British Queen, while Shepherd's Bush blogger Chris Underwood was caught up in violence at The Conningham Arms.

He said fans were kept in the pub by police to prevent them clashing with Milwall supporters but that things turned nasty when some Rs fans tried to breech the police line, resulting in many fans arriving late at the game.

Mr Underwood said QPR fans had behaved as badly as their Millwall counterparts prior to the match.

He said: "I was actually more ashamed of our (QPR) home grown idiot fraternity, who seemed to match the morons of Millwall word for word."

Millwall fans were eventually escorted to the ground about 45 minutes before kick-off.

Police in west London were stretched due to Chelsea playing a match at home at the same time against French Club Marseille and they were further concerned hooligans from those clubs, as well as Dutch outfit FC Twente, in London to play Spurs on Tuesday, were planning organised fights.

More to follow on Wednesday morning....... Fulham Chronicle

INDEPENDENT/Jon West - Warnock hits out at authorities after Millwall fans run riot

On a busy night for the Metropolitan Police, Millwall succeeded in becoming the first club to come away from Loftus Road with a point this season. Neil Warnock's side still lead the Championship table by a healthy six points and therefore remain on course for a long-awaited return to the top flight.

But Kenny Jackett's Lions deserved praise for their resilience, and also had enough second-half opportunities to have taken all three points. That wasn't the only talking point however, as the occasion was marred both beforehand and directly afterwards by violence.

A heavy police presence was noticeable around the ground before kick-off and helicopters buzzed over it as the game progressed. And on the final whistle, Millwall fans battled with officers outside while others managed to gain access to a section of the home support, reducing women and children to tears.

At least 11 arrests were made, with reports of a public house being significantly damaged nearby filtering back to the ground.

Warnock questioned the decision to stage such a combustible fixture on a Tuesday night, especially as police resources were already stretched by Chelsea's Champions League fixture with Marseilles.

"It doesn't make sense – and you'll never get any sense out of them," he said of the authorities. "It will be a computer or somebody who has never kicked a football or thought about fans."

Warnock was also of the opinion that his side had been sufficiently in the ascendancy to have claimed all three points, and Rangers' first-half performance certainly bore that out.

Millwall goalkeeper David Forde was a busy man, making an early block with his legs to deny midfielder Akos Buszaky after Heidur Helguson, the forward, had headed the game's first chance wide.

The Irishman ended the half with a similar save after Kyle Walker's cut-back had given Jamie Mackie, Rangers' top scorer, a sight of goal.

The Hoops began the second period with vigour but their efforts produced a string of corners rather than a breakthrough goal, especially as Clint Hill wastefully put a free header over from one of them.

The visitors ended the encounter having almost won it themselves, however, as Paddy Kenny, the Rangers goalkeeper, was suddenly needed to keep out efforts from Steve Morison, Danny Schofield and finally Chris Hackett.

Joe Gallen, Millwall's assistant manager and brother of former Rangers favourite Kevin Gallen, was delighted with his players' performance but would not be drawn on the supporters' behaviour.

"I'm only talking about the football because that's all I know about," he said. "We were absolutely delighted not to concede and to get a point."

Queens Park Rangers (4-2-3-1): Kenny; Walker, Gorkss, Connolly, Hill; Derry, Buzsaky (Leigertwood, 85); Mackie, Taarabt, Ephraim (Agyemang, 90); Helguson. Substitutes not used Cerny (gk), Rowlands, T Smith, Borrowdale, Parker.

Millwall (4-1-4-1): Forde; Dunne, P Robinson, Ward, Craig; Mkandawire; Hackett, Schofield, Abdou, Barron (Harris, 64); Morison. Substitutes not used Mildenhall (gk), Henry, Grimes, J Smith, Laird, T Robinson.

Referee L Probert (Wiltshire - Independent

Daily Mail/Ivan Speck - QPR 0 Millwall 0: Rangers lose perfect home record as battling Lions claim valuable point
-The scheduling of a fiery London derby fixture as an evening midweek match bore ugly consequences at Loftus Road last night.
Two pubs close to the ground were trashed by Millwall fans, who then stormed one of the entrances to the tightly packed stadium after the final whistle to confront a group of home supporters which included women and children.
- Police, who made 11 arrests, then had to contain outbreaks of violence as the two sets of fans spilled into the streets of Shepherd's Bush and nearby underground stations.
- What might have been a hostile atmosphere inside the ground - as QPR failed to score in the league for the first time this season but maintained their six-point lead at the top of the Championship - was helped by the calming influence of referee Lee Probert.

Instead of showing numerous yellow cards he sensibly spoke to players about over-zealous tackles.

However, it will come as no surprise that he still managed to upset QPR manager Neil Warnock.

Probert refused to award a penalty on the half-hour when Millwall defender Darren Ward stuck out a leg and stopped Jamie Mackie in his tracks, prodding the ball away with what appeared to be impeccable timing.

Warnock was furious on the touchline. He said: 'He kicked him but we weren't going to get a penalty tonight unless their player had picked it up and basketballed it.

But I'm so pleased that we played well again. It might be a great point come the end of the season.'

In truth, QPR created few clear chances, the best falling to Heidar Helguson in the opening five minutes when he headed wide.

For the most part, Millwall goalkeeper David Forde was troubled from longer rather than close range, a testament to the visitors' ability to limit QPR to bursts, rather than long spells, of pressure.

Steve Morison might even have won it for the away side 19 minutes from time, but his comparative lack of pace was shown up by fleet-footed full back Kyle Walker, who raced back to dispossess the striker. Mail

Guardian/Paul Doyle - Crowd violence flares while Queens Park Rangers draw with Millwall

Queens Park Rangers remain six points clear at the top of the Championship but lost their 100% home record as Millwall produced a disciplined defensive display that, alas, was at odds with the behaviour of some of the spectators. The police mounted an enormous security operation around Loftus Road in an effort to prevent violence at the first meeting of these rivals for five years but fighting nonetheless erupted before and after kick-off.

Police made at least 11 arrests during an evening in which supporters fought in two pubs close to the stadium and scuffles and missile-throwing broke out in the stands following the final whistle. The arrests included three for assault and two for possessing offensive weapons. A steward said he pulled a dart out of a QPR fan's chest. The Football Association is likely to investigate the trouble inside the stadium.

Warnock suggested the decision to stage such a volatile match at 8pm rather than arrange an early-morning weekend kick-off may have played into troublemakers' hands. "It doesn't make any sense, but you never get sense out of the people who compile the fixtures," he said.

On the pitch, Warnock's side showed their determination to extend their best start to a campaign since 1947 by beginning strongly and could have opened the scoring in the second minute. Kyle Naughton created the chance with a crisp cross from the right but Heidar Helguson, arriving unmarked at the edge of the six-yard box, headed wide.

A swirling long-range shot from Akos Buzsaky forced Millwall's goalkeeper, Darren Forde, to save with his legs. Chances became more scarce after that, however, as the game degenerated into a midfield battle in which neither side gained much ground.

Adel Taarabt is the man to whom QPR have typically turned for inspiration this season but the Moroccan was mostly subdued by the excellent Tamika Mkandawire. On the few occasions Taarabt did manage to wriggle free of his marker QPR looked like breaking the deadlock, most notably on the hour when he swivelled and shot from the edge of the area and brought another good save from Forde.

Steve Morison came close to stealing the points for Millwall following a rare break in the 72nd minute but Paddy Kenny saved his close-range header. "Kenny [Jackett, the Millwall manager] gets the maximum out of his team and he had to tonight to stop us," Warnock said. Guardian


QPR manager Neil Warnock was quick to praise Millwall after their London rivals battled for a point in a goalless draw at Loftus Road.

Rangers' 100% home record came to an end as the Lions held out for a point thanks to goalkeeper David Forde, who made three fine saves to thwart the hosts.

Warnock's side remain six points clear at the top, however, after their nearest rivals failed to take advantage.

He said: "You've got to give Millwall credit. They defended for their lives. Kenny Jackett gets the maximum out of his team and they needed to be at their maximum, because I thought we were very good.

"Heidar Helguson had a great chance, Clint Hill had a free header and so did Kaspars Gorkss, and if we'd scored then they would have had to have opened up a bit.

"But credit to them, they kept going until the end."

Warnock felt Jackett's men dealt with the threat of playmaker Adel Taarabt better than any other side so far this season, and that that was key.

"They man-marked Adel, and we know that a lot of teams will do that now," he added.

"So what we did was play him as a striker, making his marker play as a centre-back. And I thought Adel did quite well.

"I'm pleased that we played well again. It's another clean sheet for us - I never felt Millwall looked like scoring - and our performance was good. That might be a great point for us come the end of the season.

"I'm happy with how things are going at the moment. The performances have been good, and this was another good display."

Millwall assistant manager Joe Gallen was more than satisfied with a point, saying: "We're delighted to not concede a goal and to have come to QPR and got a point.

"We had a couple of opportunities - their keeper Paddy Kenny made a good save - but we're pleased with the result.

"We thought with Adel Taarabt being the outstanding player in the Championship, we had to try and mark him out of the game. That meant sacrificing a midfielder, but we did well and are happy with how it went.

"To have had three defeats and then played like that against a team like QPR is good for us. We had a disastrous performance against Watford, when we lost 6-1, but at Cardiff on Saturday we played well and were disappointed not to get something.

"Our confidence was restored defensively. Now what we've got to do is continue with that and also add some goals to our performances." Sporting Life

QPR Official Site - Warnock's Comments GAFFER ON MILLWALL

Neil Warnock was pleased with the R's point against Millwall, as Rangers stretched their unbeaten run to a remarkable nine matches.

In a blood and thunder affair at Loftus Road, Rangers created the lion's share of the chances, only to be thwarted in their efforts by a mixture of profligate finishing and David Forde saves.

Warnock told www.qpr.co.uk: "You're going to get games like that over the course of the season and credit to Millwall.

"I was really pleased with the lads tonight.

"We created the best chances, but their keeper made some top saves and we missed a few chances.

"I'm pleased to be coming away with a point and another clean sheet is a bonus too.

"We can't expect to score a hatful of goals every week - it's not realistic."

Despite the goalless draw, Rangers remain six points clear at the summit, prompting Warnock to add: "All the other results went well for us tonight, Cardiff drew and Ipswich lost, and you look at the league and its wide open.

"Most importantly, I thought we played well on the night.

"I can't knock Millwall - they pushed us all the way.

"I never really felt threatened and I didn't think they looked like scoring.

"If anyone was going to nick one, I thought it would be us QPR

TELEGRAPH - Telegraph - Neil Tranis

Derby rivals who had not faced one another for five years had forgotten how to concoct engrossing drama.

Thrills were scant but that will not perturb Queens Park Rangers, who still appear imposing at the head of the Championship with a six-point lead intact.

The contest did provide a canvass for Kyle Walker, on loan from Tottenham, to refine the art of attacking full-back play.

He faded to the fringes in the second half, but in the first, he rampaged down the right. Inside two minutes his cross found Heidar Helguson, who nodded wide.

Millwall detailed Scott Barron to charge back and aid Tony Craig in stifling Walker but the objective was riddled with difficulties.

With half time approaching, the youngster zipped in between them with the lucidity of a top flight winger and found Jamie Mackie, whose effort was blocked by David Forde.

Millwall have suffered demoralisation this season and faced opponents who have negotiated obstacles through flamboyance, tenacity or sheer sturdiness.

QPR boast quite an array of characteristics but they were blunted by Millwall vigorousness. The visitors kept their shape but sprung forward on the break. Paddy Kenny pushed away Steve Morison’s effort.

They defended frantically at times but clung on to claim a noticeable result" Telegraph


QPR shared the spoils with London neighbours Millwall in a truly captivating encounter at Loftus Road.

Although neither side could muster a winner, chances were certainly forthcoming and the Hoops will count themselves unlucky not to have come away with all three points.

Clint Hill probably squandered the R's best chance to take victory, nodding wide following Adel Taarabt's lovely corner from the right after the interval.

The Lions themselves had chances, not least when Steve Morison forced Paddy Kenny into a splendid second-half save.

Though goalless it remained, as the top of the table R's preserved their unbeaten start to the Championship campaign ahead of their weekend trip to Crystal Palace.

Hot off the back of seven wins from their last eight league matches, the R's remained unchanged for the visit of Kenny Jackett's Millwall.

Kenny resumed in goal for QPR, behind a back four of Kyle Walker, Matt Connolly - who was making his 100th professional career appearance - Kaspars Gorkss and Hill.

Shaun Derry and Akos Buzsaky were in defensive midfield, as top league goalscorer Jamie Mackie, Taarabt and Hogan Ephraim operated further forward.

Iceman Heidar Helguson headed the Hoops attack.

The noise was deafening as the two teams made their way onto the field, with both sets of supporters eagerly anticipating what was sure to be a pulsating local derby.

Neil Warnock's side were clearly relishing the intimidating atmosphere and they got off to a lively start.

Walker's superbly driven cross from right was inch-perfect as it dropped on to the head of Helguson, who was unlucky to see his header go just wide of David Forde's right-hand post.

Moments later, the R's edged even closer. Buzsaky picked up possession 25-yards out before unleashing a rasping effort right at Forde, who did well to beat the ball away from goal.

Loftus Road was rocking - and after Buzsaky fed Ephraim down the left, the midfielder was unfortunate not to find the target when he cut in to fire a low effort just wide of the net.

The Lions started creeping into the affair, however, and after a series of corners, they were far from spectators in this already tasty encounter in W12.

Rangers continued to knock on the door though, and they felt aggrieved not to have won a penalty when Mackie appeared to be brought to the floor unjustly following a high challenge in the box.

Mackie was then in the thick of the action once again just short of the half-time interval.

First, the R's man of the moment blazed high and wide of the bar from ten-yards out, before Mackie could - and probably should - have found the net soon after.

Walker's darting run down the right saw him beat two men before squaring from the byline, and with the goal at his mercy from close range, Mackie could only drag an effort straight at the legs of Forde.

Rangers were again bright at the start of the second period, with Gorkss unable to add to his two-goal salvo against Doncaster on Saturday when he nodded Taarabt's pinpoint corner just over.

Moments later the R's won another corner - and from the resultant kick, they wasted their best chance to date to take the lead.

Taarabt's delivery was beautiful once again - unlike the finish, with Hill only able to head handsomely over the target when unmarked six-yards from goal.

This was somewhat of an R's barricade, and following yet another corner, Helguson was unfortunate not to see his smashed effort from 12 yards find the target, with the Lions' rearguard again on hand to block the shot away to safety.

QPR were firmly on the front foot, and when Derry found Mackie out wide on the right, his teasing centre escaped the attentions of a whole host of Rangers players, with the cross flashing agonisingly across the face of goal.

The R's had to be wary of the Millwall counter attack, and following Danny Schofield's delicious centre from the left, Morison's header at the back post was expertly tipped wide by Kenny.

Both sides pressed for a late winner, though the scores remained the same as the referee brought at end to what had been quite a spectacle - despite the goalless scoreline.

QPR: Kenny, Hill, Derry, Taarabt, Helguson, Buzsaky (Leigertwood 85), Mackie, Gorkss, Walker, Connolly, Ephraim (Agyemang 90).

Subs: Cerny, Rowlands, T.Smith, Borrowdale, Parker.

Bookings: Helguson (65)

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Robinson, Schofield, Hackett, Craig, Barron (Harris 64), Mkandawire, Ward, Morison, Abdou.

Subs: Mildenhall, Henry, Grimes, J.Smith, Laird, Robinson.

Bookings: Dunne (68)

Referee: Mr L W Probert

Attendance: 15, 325 (2, 490) QPR

Millwall Official Site

Gutsy Millwall ended a run of three successive defeats with a determined to display to secure a share of the spoils in a feisty derby at Loftus Road.

It was a satisfying return to west London for boss Kenny Jackett, whose side produced effort, endeavour and commitment to become the first team this season to keep a clean sheet against the Championship table-toppers.

Neil Warnock's side may have been in free-scoring form, but full credit to Millwall - and keeper David Forde in particular - for heading south of the river with a good point in the bag.
On a night of high scoring games elsewhere in the division, the only aspect missing from this encounter was surprisingly a goal.

It was Warnock's side who dominated the opening exchanges and with barely 80 seconds on the clock Helder Helguson could and should have handed the Hoops an early lead, but inexplicably steered his header wide of the post from seven yards.
Keeper Forde came to the rescue on seven minutes with a brilliant block to keep out Akos Buszaky's goalbound shot.
It was from Forde's huge upfield that The Lions mustered their first effort on goal a couple of minutes later; Danny Schofield picked up the ball, smartly worked an opening on the right and then delivered a low cross that the onrushing Scott Barron fired wide.

A long throw from Tony Craig was met by Steve Morison whose looping header dropped narrowly off target as Millwall began to get into their stride and get the measure of the home side.
Jamie Mackie was lucky to escape punishment just past the half-hour mark when he, having been denied by an outstanding tackle from Tony Craig, collapsed in a heap on the floor. Having played waved on by referee Lee Probert merely added to his sense of frustration and his dissent to the linesman continued on and off for five minutes afterwards with no card being brandished.

As frustration grew in Rangers ranks, so too did the confidence from The Lions, backed by a vociferous crowd of 2,490 packed in the Schoolhouse End.

Paul Robinson headed wide from a deep Tony Craig free-kick 10 minutes before the break whilst it was the athleticism of Forde at the other end that somehow kept out Jamie Mackie's effort at point-blank range just before the break.

After the restart it was Warnock's men who enjoyed the majority of possession for the opening quarter of an hour; Adel Taarabt drilling an inviting ball across the face of goal that only needed a touch to go in and then Clint Hill powering a header over from one of four corners in quick succession.

Forde produced another stunning save, diving low to his left to parry Helguson's shot for another corner and although the two men got in a tangle as their momentum carried them over the line off the pitch and ref Probert sensibly had a word with both players.

It was the introduction of striker Neil Harris on the hour mark that could ultimately have tipped the balance The Lions' way as the team reverted to a more familiar 4-4-2 system with Chopper providing some much needed support alongside Morison.
A smart move on 66 minutes nearly brought a goal for Harris, only for his sweet left-footer to swerve narrowly wide following good build-up play involving Alan Dunne and Morison.
The hard-working Morison was handed a great opportunity to break the deadlock with 19 minutes remaining, evading the offside trap and bursting into the danger, only to be crowded out as he prepared to shoot.

By this stage The Lions looked more of a threat going forward and as the clock ticked towards the 80-minute mark Schofield's low shot was held by the increasingly busy Paddy Kenny in the home goal.
And it was the former Sheffield United man who somehow kept out Chris Hackett's stinging 88th-minute drive at full stretch, with Hill clearing the loose ball as Harris and Morison prepared to pounce.

However in a pulsating game it was the Hoops who could have nicked it right at the death when sub Patrick Agyemang was allowed too much time and space in a central position. But The Lions unpenetrable defence stood firm for one last time to ensure a thoroughly deserved draw. Millwall

BBC - Warnock's QPR side remain top of the Championship despite the draw

QPR's 100% home record this season came to an end as London rivals Millwall denied the Championship leaders a fifth straight victory.

Rangers have still to concede at Loftus Road this season but they could not breach a resilient Millwall defence.

Lions keeper David Forde made three superb saves to thwart the hosts, who largely dominated proceedings.

QPR remain six points clear at the top of the table after their nearest rivals failed to take advantage.

Rangers were predictably positive from the off and forced Forde into an early save from an Akos Buzsaky shot.

Hogan Ephraim and the league's top scorer Jamie Mackie also put decent chances wide while Millwall were indebted to Forde again when he saved from Mackie with his feet.

The Lions were not without chances of their own though and could have snatched the lead, but Scott Barron's volley was narrowly wide of goal.

Forde was busy once more as the tricky Adel Taarabt drew a fine save from the keeper with a well-drilled shot.

At the opposite end Rangers goalkeeper Paddy Kenny had little to do but he was up to the task when called into action 20 minutes from time, keeping out Steve Morison's far-post header from Tony Craig's cross.

He was also on hand to deny Chris Hackett from 20 yards to ensure honours ended even. BBC

QPR Official Site

- 1983 Video: QPR Beating Newcastle & Video of a 17 Year Old Kevin Keegan while at Scunthorpe

- Season Tickets Sold: 7,205

Blog Archive