QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, September 25, 2010

QPR Report Saturday Football Snippets...Mackie Reportedly Set for Scotland Call-Up

-

-
-For QPR and Football Updates throughout the day, visit the ever-growing (and hopefully always-improving!) QPR Report Messageboard/quasi-blog. Either offer your own perspectives on any of the topics (QPR and football only). Or of course, feel free to simply read the various QPR and football-only discussions. Also: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER
_____________________________________________________________________________________

- Doncaster Previews and Flashbacks

- Video of Doncaster's Previous Visit to Loftus Road: A Non-Playing "Incident"

- A (Non-QPR) Blogger: Is It Time to Pay Neil Warnock Some Respect?

- Four Year Flashback: QPR/Gianni Paladini Statement re AKUTRS

- The Continuing "Taboo" of Gay Footballers

- UK Football and Minorities: Maybe Few "Asian" Players in English Football, but are "Asian" Fans

- Not re QPR but obviously applicable: Managers Shaping their Teams

- Arsenal Announce Record Profits

- Vote for Taarabt or Mackie (or another team's player!) for PFA's Championship Player of The Month"


Daily Record/ Gavin Berry Sept 25 2010 - QPR hitman Jamie Mackie on Craig Levein's radar for Scotland call-up
- SCOTLAND boss Craig Levein is to hand QPR hitman Jamie Mackie a shock call-up for next month's Euro 2012 qualifying double header against the Czech Republic and Spain.
- Mackie, 24, has been in sensational scoring form for the Championship outfit with an incredible eight goals in the first seven games of the season.
- The Dorking-born player - who qualifies for Scotland because his grandfather is from Kilmarnock - admitted he's now desperate to get his international career up and running.
- He said: "I also qualify for England and it's great for the CV. I'd love to play international football in any capacity."
- Mackie is firmly in Levein's sights after his sizzling start for the Championship table-toppers following a £150,000 summer switch from Plymouth.
- James McFadden has been ruled out of the October showdowns with the Czechs and world champions Spain after a cruciate injury in training with Birmingham last week.
- Levein is looking for a replacement and Mackie fits the bill perfectly as he can play either through the middle or as a right-winger and is an obvious attacking threat.
- Mackie, who started his career at Wimbledon, has scored as many goals at club level this season as Rangers frontman Kenny Miller and has outgunned Kris Boyd and Chris Iwelumo.
- And his reward could come in the shape of a first call-up for Scotland's vital Euro 2012 qualifiers.
- Mackie has hit successive doubles in QPR's last two games and former Scotland striker Paul Sturrock - who managed the player at Plymouth - said: "Jamie is a real handful.
- "He is a dedicated pro who wants to do well for himself and goals are the important part for him." - Daily Record


Non League Daily - Danny Fitzsimons Loaned to Histon
- Blue Square Bet Premier club Histon have announced that defender Danny Fitzsimons has signed on an initial one month loan from Queens Park Rangers and travels with the squad for the visit to Wrexham on Saturday.
- Primarily a left-sided defender, Fitzsimons can also play centrally and will add depth and competition to the back four.
- Having been released by Millwall during the summer after two years with the Lions, Fitzsimons moved to Loftus Road and is a regular in the Ireland under-18 side.
- Histon manager David Livermore commented: “We are grateful to QPR for agreeing to loan us Danny, a promising youngster who has all the attributes of a very effective defender with a maturity well beyond his years.” Non League Daily


Neil Warnock/The Independent - What I Learnt This Week
Saturday, 25 September 2010


Neil Warnock: I don't mind when the coach driver gets lost. Well, not if we've won away from home

I have mentioned before that the travelling is the worst part of the job, but some journeys are better than others.

This week the miles flew by as we returned from Leicester, then Ipswich, with maximum points. Given the week began with a home victory over Middlesbrough it was a fantastic seven days, one of the most demanding, but also one of the most rewarding, of my career.

When you've won away from home you're not so concerned about getting back in the middle of the night – even getting lost on the way home is bearable. That's what happened after the Ipswich match.

Some of the lads live en route so we picked them up at Waltham Abbey on the way. After the game the driver pulled off the M25 to drop them back at their cars. It was already after midnight. The driver then took the wrong turning back on to the M25 and found himself going back east instead of west. The problem was the next junction, with the M11, is a closed one. He would have to go a dozen miles in the wrong direction before he could turn round.

So we ended up coming in on the M11 and going through London to our training ground out near Heathrow. As you can imagine, we pulled his leg a bit, but it was light-hearted. When you've won the game you're not in the mood to shout at sombody.

I got back about 1.45am. It didn't matter too much. I can't sleep immediately after a game anyway, the mind is going at 100mph. You'd think when we've won it would be easier to sleep, but it isn't. I used to take a sleeping tablet, but I began to have problems sleeping without them, which was a bit of a worry. I cut down to half a tablet and gradually managed to wean myself off them in the last 18 months. I can imagine it would be very easy to get hooked on things like that. I don't know how insomniacs cope.

2. It never rains but it pours for Liverpool in Carling Cup

What a dramatic week for the Carling Cup, probably the most dramatic in its history. Who would have, though, that Chelsea, Man City, Everton and, last but not least, Liverpool, would get knocked out? On top of that Spurs lost to Arsenal. Man United must be laughing their socks off ahead of today's draw, and I suppose Gérard Houllier will also be fancying his chances of another cup final.

Northampton's performance against Liverpool must have taken everybody by surprise. I'm sure Roy Hodgson, like the majority of other managers facing lower division opposition, imagined lads who were pushing for a place would have wanted to show what they had. I saw him at 90 minutes, the rain bucketing down on him, and did not envy him at all. You really have to grin and bear it in those situations. It was just as grim a night for Chelsea, not just because they lost, but two influential players in Kalou and Benayoun were injured. None of that will bother Newcastle's Chris Hughton, he must have been proud of that result: very few teams win at Chelsea.

I feel for David Moyes at the moment. We've all been here. Myself, like many others, thought Everton would be pushing for the top six but their results have been a nightmare. But one thing I like about David, he's been here, he's had these runs before, and when everyone starts writing them off, off they go again on a good run and I am sure that will happen again.

Moyes has been there eight years, about the time I was at Sheffield United. It was devastating for me to leave as I did, relegated with the last kick of the season, but I've always been a big believer in fate and it has to be the best thing that ever happened to me. Palace gave me a new lease of life and QPR has reinvigorated me further. There will be a time when David moves on and he might welcome the change when it happens. It's hard work keeping a club like Everton in the top six. It's not like managing Man United or Chelsea. I know that job brings different pressures with the expectation of trophies, but it must be a comfort to know you are better than 90 per cent of the teams you play.

Talking of having to win something, were you as surprised as I was to see Arsène's team? I do hope he is going to continue with that approach and try and win the competition. While I admire Harry Redknapp I could not take my eyes off Arsenal. Wilshere was like a matador in the ring, directing everything. For someone of such a young age I found it exhilarating. Don't tell me you haven't got any up-and-coming English lads.

I'm looking forward to today's draw. What price we get Stoke City v Arsenal?

3. Going out of a competition has unexpected upsides

I know how the managers beaten this week feel. The only game we have lost this season was at home to Port Vale in the Carling Cup. They played well but that's an embarrassing result, given the respective divisions we're in, but without a doubt we would not be where we are in the league if we had had a good run in the Carling Cup. I looked at the teams playing this week, and some of the travelling they did, and didn't envy them a bit.

We needed the break that being out of the competition gave us. At Leicester I only managed to fill the bench by asking Martin Rowlands, who's still getting match-fit after a long injury, to help out. This week we have another three games, but at least they are all in London: Doncaster and Millwall at home, then Crystal Palace away.
4. Halting Pakistan tour would have restored credibility

I'm delighted that the Pakistan tour has finally ended. I have always thought cricket was the sport which set an example to the world, but what a mess. How the tour was allowed to continue, especially after those accusations were made about England players, I will never know. Well I do: money. But whatever they earned for those last two games – how much more credibility they would have got by saying "enough is enough".

At least now we can all look forward to the most eagerly awaited tour that comes around, when the lads go to Australia for the Ashes. When I retire, or should I say, when I run out of people who will employ me, I definitely hope to go to watch an Ashes series in Australia. I'll never forget being at The Oval when Stuart Broad (below) got those five wickets in the last series. It wouldt be great to watch something like that in Sydney.

The only sports event to compare is, for me, the Ryder Cup, which is coming up next week. I'll certainly be following that, though I might be distracted next Saturday when we're at Selhurst Park.

5. News sometimes comes in both sweet and sour varieties

When I picked William up from school in midweek he said he had something to tell me. The little so-and-so looked as if he had been reprimanded. I said, "Tell me what you done." He paused. I thought, "What's mum going to say?" Then he burst out, "I've got three distinctions, Dad". We were giving the high five outside the school. We were both delighted. On the flip side, Amy's team came third in a hockey tournament – on goals scored. How tough is that? I said if it had been on goal difference, they probably would have won.

6. When players and managers click, watch out

I've really enjoyed the games during our TalkSport show on Sunday and we've a couple of crackers tomorrow with Bolton v Man U, then Wolves v Villa. They're good contrasting games. I'll be interested to see how Emile Heskey does for Villa. On Wednesday he saved his mentor from a bad start and he looks as if he might get back to his best. Certain players play better for certain managers who they know believe in them, and no one could have believed in Emile more than Gérard Houllier.

Independent

Blog Archive